Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2016, 11:45   #3841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Totally agree with the drawbacks! IMO, these drawbacks make the Polo GT TSi the car modded by the most in the forum.

Though the GT TSi comes with a great engine + gearbox combo, there are so many weaknesses which provide scope for lots of modifications and upgrades.

Here are some weaknesses and the relative upgrades.

Lethargic downshifting in D mode - Steering upgrade with paddle shifts
Body roll - Suspension upgrade - Bistein B6, B14 or coilovers
Weak brakes - Brake upgrade to Brembos, VW performance pads, Brembo discs, D2 6 pot brakes etc.
Super light steering - Tire upgrade to wider 205 sections. This adds a little bit weight to the steering and also improves traction.
Poor lights - Headlight upgrade to Xenons. If you plan to push the car in the night, powerful lights are a must

Add to the above list a remap, and the GT transforms really to a hot hatch.
Completely agree - If I get the car, the first thing I am gonna do is change the steering wheel to the Gti one with paddles. Next would be a damper upgrade to bilsteins. I change the tyres of my car immediately after delivery anyways so that's the other thing taken care of. Hopefully That should sort out many of the pain points in the car.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 12:23   #3842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Body roll - Suspension upgrade - Bistein B6, B14 or coilovers

Weak brakes - Brake upgrade to Brembos, VW performance pads, Brembo discs, D2 6 pot brakes etc.

Super light steering - Tire upgrade to wider 205 sections. This adds a little bit weight to the steering and also improves traction.
What are the average costs expected for these three modifications?
Old 15th May 2016, 13:11   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
60k for basic dampers, 20k max for brakes, 20k for tyres.
Old 15th May 2016, 13:16   #3844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
B6 dampeners with stock springs would cost 60K to 70K. Coilovers would cost close to 1.2L.

I upgraded to Brembo pads with stock rotors and it cost 3.8K. Brembo pads and discs together would cost 10K. Higher setups like D2 or Tarox brakes could cost close to 30K.

The 205/55/R15 Conti MC5's that I have cost me 6.5K. After the buyback of the stock Alnacs for 2.5K, I paid 4K per tire.
Old 15th May 2016, 13:41   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Brembo pads and discs together would cost 10K.
Brembo slotted rotors cost Rs 14,000 http://www.motrpart.in/d/19837/bremb...slotted-rotors

And Brembo black brake pads cost around Rs 5000
http://www.motrpart.in/d/19754/bremb...ront-brake-pad
Old 15th May 2016, 13:45   #3846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Brembo slotted rotors cost Rs 14,000 http://www.motrpart.in/d/19837/bremb...slotted-rotors

And Brembo black brake pads cost around Rs 5000
http://www.motrpart.in/d/19754/bremb...ront-brake-pad
I got the Brembo red pads for 3.8K from the Brembo dealer a couple of months back. At that time, they quoted 6K for the rotors (not sure if they are slotted though).

PS: I got the pads from Laxmikant & Co. who are the dealers for Brembo and they had an ad in the TBHP classfied. I have documented the brake upgrades in my ownership thread below.

Brake Upgrade

Last edited by graaja : 15th May 2016 at 13:50. Reason: Adding link to brake upgrade post from ownership thread
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 18:54   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
I got the Brembo red pads for 3.8K from the Brembo dealer a couple of months back. At that time, they quoted 6K for the rotors (not sure if they are slotted though).

PS: I got the pads from Laxmikant & Co. who are the dealers for Brembo and they had an ad in the TBHP classfied. I have documented the brake upgrades in my ownership thread below.
Thanks graaja.
Laxmikant & Co have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/carzspares/. They are quoting 6K for the normal rotors, and 14K for the slotted rotors.
Black brake pads are listed at 5K, and red pads are costing 3.8K.
Old 15th May 2016, 18:56   #3848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks graaja.
Laxmikant & Co have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/carzspares/. They are quoting 6K for the normal rotors, and 14K for the slotted rotors.
Black brake pads are listed at 5K, and red pads are costing 3.8K.
Any idea how the black pads differ from the red pads? Better performance or life?
Old 15th May 2016, 19:27   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how the black pads differ from the red pads? Better performance or life?
According to http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...to-be-aware-of, there are four kinds of brake pads
1) Semi Metallic Brake Pads
These types of brake pads are made from about 30% to 65% metal, and are commonly made out of steel wool, wire, copper or other metal materials. These types of brake pads are considered to be very durable, but also may wear brake rotors faster. Also, semi-metallic brake pads may not function well in very low temperatures.
2) Non-Asbestos Organic
This type of brake pad, commonly referred to as NAO, is made from organic materials such as fiber, glass, rubber and even Kevlar. These types of t pads are usually softer and don't create much noise, but they tend to wear faster and create a lot of dust.
3) Low-Metallic NAO
These are made primarily from an organic formula mixture with small amounts of copper or steel added to help with heat transfer and provide better braking. Because of the added metal, there is usually a considerable amount of brake dust and these pads are often noisy.
4)Ceramic Brake Pads
Ceramic brake pads are composed primarily of ceramic fibers and other filler materials. While ceramic brake pads are usually more expensive than other types of pads, they are cleaner and produce much lower noise levels. Also, they provide for excellent braking and don't cause a lot of wear on the brake rotors.

In Brembo, Red colored ones are Semi metallic pads, and Black colored ones are Low Metallic Pads. So Black pads provide better braking compared to the Red pads.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 15th May 2016 at 19:29.
shetty_rohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 20:45   #3850
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Guys need some clarification.. What is the water wading capability of GT TSI? I was returning back from office today in Chennai and OMR was flooded as usual due to rain. Saw many cars wading through fog lamp deep water including swift. Can the low hanging DSG tackle this deep water with so much electronics and mechatronics onboard? Thank god i was on my bike. These small things haunt me every time and i will be like "Should have bought GT TDI" even though my usage is very less.
Old 18th May 2016, 20:47   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
Guys need some clarification.. What is the water wading capability of GT TSI? I was returning back from office today in Chennai and OMR was flooded as usual due to rain. Saw many cars wading through fog lamp deep water including swift. Can the low hanging DSG tackle this deep water with so much electronics and mechatronics onboard? Thank god i was on my bike. These small things haunt me every time and i will be like "Should have bought GT TDI" even though my usage is very less.
ANY car that gets its exhaust pipe immersed in water is in serious risk. Thats the lowest point where water can ingress, first. As far as possible, avoid risking the car if you can.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 21:12   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
I had the harrowing experience of navigating the chennai roads during the dreaded December 1 rains. At one point was in water that reached the lowest step of the MTC bus in front of me and the GT started to knock in D2. Turning back was not an option and the water levels only seemed to rise. I immediately shifted to manual mode in first gear and kept the accelerator pressed to keep the engine in boil and prevent water from entering the exhaust. Somehow reached home safely where i was pinned down for the next couple of days. At the end of it, the GT came back unscathed. Though i might just be lucky, i think this little thing does take a lot of abuse in its strides.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 21:19   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I had the harrowing experience of navigating the chennai roads during the dreaded December 1 rains. At one point was in water that reached the lowest step of the MTC bus in front of me and the GT started to knock in D2. Turning back was not an option and the water levels only seemed to rise. I immediately shifted to manual mode in first gear and kept the accelerator pressed to keep the engine in boil and prevent water from entering the exhaust. Somehow reached home safely where i was pinned down for the next couple of days. At the end of it, the GT came back unscathed. Though i might just be lucky, i think this little thing does take a lot of abuse in its strides.

Thank you. It feels better after knowing it can handle these unavoidable situations Saw the situation today and once you are in, only way out is go through it. If you stop, people start honking like mad which further worsens the situation. I was imagining, what i would have done if i was struck there today while wading through water in my bike.
Old 24th May 2016, 20:22   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
This is one must upgrades on a GT if you really want feel the steering. Coming from Punto's Hydrualic steering I felt I will have to compromise on the steering feel, but 205 section tyres they made it just perfect.
Old 24th May 2016, 20:59   #3855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
This is one must upgrades on a GT if you really want feel the steering. Coming from Punto's Hydrualic steering I felt I will have to compromise on the steering feel, but 205 section tyres they made it just perfect.
It's not just the weight which a 205 profile will offer. It also is the feedback of what the wheels are doing. That just doesn't filter through at the steering wheel. Not sure if wider rubber can fix that.

In other news, I booked a flash red tsi on Saturday

Most Viewed