BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'll give you few other examples -

SX4 with 205 section rubber.
T-Jet with 205 section rubber.
Punto with 195 section rubber.

But in the end, common man doesn't care. All he wants is for the car to have tyres. You'd be surprised how many Swift L/V variant owners are happy with those tiny tyres! People used to complain about low mileage in SX4 blaming the bigger tyres. Its only us enthusiasts who crib for such matters, and we form only a minute percentage of the overall market.

But the Polo TSi is supposed to be aimed at that small market share, and is not going to be an economical purchase anyways! Hence they should have addressed this defect before launch IMO.
Ah yes, we enthusiasts are a rare breed. I agree that the Polo TSi R&D chaps should have thought about this before launch, but then again, the majority of Indian launches muck up with the rubber (except those ones you posted). The beat, alto, swift, wagon R, Amaze (yuck), they're all terrible to look at rolling on the road with those tires. A little off topic I know, but have you seen the Nissan Evalia's tires? Absolute disaster there.

Just imagine what a massive difference it would have made to the stability and dynamics of the TSi, as well as the looks no doubt, to have slightly upsized tires.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 00:17   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Considering that softer suspension behaves differently to the quick turn ins and and is more prone to the body roll, ESP may actually factor in the suspension set up too.
Yeah, thats what my doubt was. Since the car has ESP setup, it may not be as simple as it sounds to replace the suspension n a non ESP car. Maybe the ESP doesn't have any direct connection with the suspension, but it has indirect connection since it counts the suspension and body roll parameters while trying to keep the car controlled.
Old 4th May 2013, 00:41   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll give you few other examples -

SX4 with 205 section rubber.
T-Jet with 205 section rubber.
Punto with 195 section rubber.

But the Polo TSi is supposed to be aimed at that small market share, and is not going to be an economical purchase anyways! Hence they should have addressed this defect before launch IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Ah yes, we enthusiasts are a rare breed. I agree that the Polo TSi R&D chaps should have thought about this before launch, but then again, the majority of Indian launches muck up with the rubber (except those ones you posted)

Just imagine what a massive difference it would have made to the stability and dynamics of the TSi, as well as the looks no doubt, to have slightly upsized tires.
OK people, before we go overboard on this whole "Polo TSi is under-tyred" malarky, let me put things in perspective.

I have owned, and driven the wheels off, what could arguably be called the best hot hatch ever produced - the Mk2 VW Golf GTi. It came fitted with 185/60R14 or 185/55R15 tyres. And this is for a car with over 130bhp. Did I feel it as under-tyred? Not in the least bit. I did consider an upgrade to 195 or 205 section rubber, but in the end, bought the best tyres available of stock size for my car. I had an absolute blast with corner-carving, be it mountain roads or urban streets or supermarket parking lots.
Performance? Let me put it this way. I could keep up with an Audi TT (powerful, wiiiide tyres, quattro 4wd) on the twisties.

There was an episode of Fifth Gear or Top Gear, not sure which one, where the reviewer basically drove an AMG Mercedes first with stock tyres, and then with the narrower space-saver spare fitted to all 4 wheels. He then concluded that the car actually felt better to drive with the narrower tyres!!

So, to conclude, what the Polo TSi needs is not necessarily wider tyres, but better tyres.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 4th May 2013 at 00:43.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 00:46   #379

Well considering the DSG gearbox being mated with this engine the price was bound to jump up, this won't go too well with the customers since they would rather go in for a saloon like the Honda City base or the Fluidic Verna 1.4L with the similar price range. No doubt it is a very effective combination but in order to really appeal to the hatchback buyers I reckon VW need to fit in the manual gearbox which will probably take a lakh off. Nonetheless, it should be a peppy and fun car to drive but call me old-fashioned I'd still want one with a manual gearbox. VW, hope you'll are listening!
Old 4th May 2013, 01:16   #380
Senior - BHPian

Mods: please merge with my previous post.

It was Chris Harris (not Fifth/Top Gear) drives the C63 AMG on space savers.

Linky - http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ce-saver-tires
Old 4th May 2013, 03:00   #381
BHPian

Test drove the car today at VW South Ex Delhi.

It's a fast little bugger no doubt. At D it's smooth for traffic but hesitant to run especially when the Accelerator is pressed harder, that's when I noticed the lag. I was cruising smoothly at 40 and floored the pedal, reaction time of the DSG was appalling.

At S is when it made me smile a bit but not near what my civic would under normal driving.

The shifts were smooth for the most part, I did feel the DSG was confused once of what to do, can't remember the scenario.

Tiptronics worked as expected, ie they did not hold RPM and downshifted and upshifted at the extremes, it was a much more involving drive though.

I don't not know why people are against the stock system, sure to audiophile ears its lacking. I found it lacking in every way, but then I have a pretty decent Polk system in my car.
As for stock systems, I think it's the best I've heard in a hatch <10L.

The SA I talked to insists that DSG is covered under extended warranty.

@Delhi Members: what kind of On Road prices are you getting after negotiation?
I got 9.02L with extended warranty. Mats and mud guards were the freebies.
I have never haggled or bargained much before, how should I do it?

Now to another matter,
I asked the sales rep straight out about the warranty woes, and he said just don't cut the wires, any wire, thus get it done from a reputed installer. Don't upsize the tires, stick to the Owner Manual's recommendations.

I did ask him for this in writing but he wasn't willing.

VW seems to be my only choice for a new car ATM, and I am unsure even if wires or not cut will they void warranty.

How should I proceed?

PS: I am yet to drive i20 but I might be prejudiced.

And finally, an older white polo had bi-xenon fit by the showroom for 16k and blue racing strips for 3k. Looked pretty nice because of which I might be considering getting them installed. Is 16k a good price?
(It did have a body kit amongst other things, but I only check the price for stripes and bi-xenons.)

Here are a couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-photo-2.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-photo-1.jpg  

mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 09:08   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Test drove the car today at VW South Ex Delhi.
First thing to ask when negotiating for a new car is Free Insurance as most manafacturers usually throw in for free but, TSI is too new a car to expect such a freebie. but, no harm in trying

There is no comparison with i20 in terms of ride and handling as i20 is more softly strung up and is more a comfort tuned car than the Polo TSI assuming your comparing the diesel.

VW offers a body kit for 70K which is not VFM at all. Also, the blue racing strip isnt looking that great, IMO. Looks more like a wannabe racer

All the best for your purchase !!!
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 09:18   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I did consider an upgrade to 195 or 205 section rubber, but in the end, bought the best tyres available of stock size for my car. I had an absolute blast with corner-carving, be it mountain roads or urban streets or supermarket parking lots.
Performance? Let me put it this way. I could keep up with an Audi TT (powerful, wiiiide tyres, quattro 4wd) on the twisties.
So, to conclude, what the Polo TSi needs is not necessarily wider tyres, but better tyres.
I agree with you and same is my opinion on tyres. I am not tyre guru and have very little understanding about them but one thing I am very well aware of that I don't blindly upgrade to wider tyres. Instead of choosing wider tyres, choose the tyres made of better rubber.

When the width of the tyre is increased, the braking ability may increase but it also results compromise in performance, ride quality and FE, if not done scientifically. So lot of factors count while upgrading tyres.

Thinking the fat tyres are always better is same like thinking all the cars having boot are more premium. If braking is the only concern for you, then either don't drive the car or drive at slow speeds.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th May 2013 at 09:23.
Old 4th May 2013, 10:11   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK people, before we go overboard on this whole "Polo TSi is under-tyred" malarky, let me put things in perspective.

I have owned, and driven the wheels off, what could arguably be called the best hot hatch ever produced - the Mk2 VW Golf GTi. It came fitted with 185/60R14 or 185/55R15 tyres. And this is for a car with over 130bhp. Did I feel it as under-tyred? Not in the least bit. I did consider an upgrade to 195 or 205 section rubber, but in the end, bought the best tyres available of stock size for my car. I had an absolute blast with corner-carving, be it mountain roads or urban streets or supermarket parking lots.

There was an episode of Fifth Gear or Top Gear, not sure which one, where the reviewer basically drove an AMG Mercedes first with stock tyres, and then with the narrower space-saver spare fitted to all 4 wheels. He then concluded that the car actually felt better to drive with the narrower tyres!!

Theoretically - perfect! But practically - No.

Better tyres cost more for these manufacturers than wider tyres. Almost certainly - they are not going to come up with that option. The only choice we get is with Acceleres/ ZVTS/ Tornados etc. Wider is atleast something we could hope for!

And wont you agree that wider Apollo Acceleres are better than skinny Acceleres?
Old 4th May 2013, 10:52   #385
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I noticed: The 1.2 TSI does not seem to be as well made as the Vento - Vento's door 'thunks'; this one 'clunks'.

Does anybody know if VW has cut corners here?
Old 4th May 2013, 11:23   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You do realize your GTI would have had a much stiffer suspension than this Polo Tsi hence even with the 185s it managed decently well.
Old 4th May 2013, 11:24   #387
Senior - BHPian

Is trading your OEM tires with better market options like the Zlo, Yoko and Michilens so difficult.

We have umpteen examples who have upgraded to better rubber on day 1. The upgrade would cost < 10k which shouldn't be difficult to digest considering you are buying a 9+ INR hatch.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 12:17   #388
Senior - BHPian

From the car enthusiast in me, I feel the price is good. This price may not go down well with the general public, but as car lovers, I think this is one of the better cars that you can buy for this money. They should however sort out their A.S.S and the shoddy reputation of the automatic gearbox. Then I would consider buying it.
Old 4th May 2013, 15:16   #389
BHPian

The car would cost me 9.15 lac on road. This includes 2k doctor discounts and 10000 worth of accessories. Accessories include 3M coating, mud flaps, car cover and mating. I am not going to buy any of these except mud flaps. So that should shave off 7500INR. The dealer is charging me 5000 INR for RTO, which I will get done by myself and that would save me another 2500 INR. Now I need to check how much I can save on insurance. So the effective on road price should come down below 9 lac.
drjanakpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 19:10   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You do realize your GTI would have had a much stiffer suspension than this Polo Tsi hence even with the 185s it managed decently well.
Oops! I missed that one . Can't expect the Polo GT TSi to have suspension tuned like the old GTi. Bound to be softer and with more travel.

Quote:
Theoretically - perfect! But practically - No.

Better tyres cost more for these manufacturers than wider tyres. Almost certainly - they are not going to come up with that option. The only choice we get is with Acceleres/ ZVTS/ Tornados etc. Wider is atleast something we could hope for!

And wont you agree that wider Apollo Acceleres are better than skinny Acceleres?
All I was trying to get at is - OE tyres might be (correction - mostly will be) crap, but the size might still be right!
And I have a sneaking suspicion that Acceleres are probably not the best suited for this car and its suspension setup.
If Acceleres are not the correct rubber for this car, then we will just have OE crapness at 185 section and some different crapness at 205. But in the end, car behaviour will still be crap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks