Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2016, 14:55   #3931
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
I guess Jetta has Hill Decent Control, which is why it can brake automatically. Polo can only accelerate to set speed,not decelerate. I haven't tested it by decreasing the set speed,but my GT TSI does shoot the set speed in declines. Ill check and confirm this though. BTW how do you increase speed in multiples of 10? In polo it increases by 1kmph :(
Jetta does not have Hill desent control, Skoda Yeti has it. You can't increase the speed in multiples of 10, Only by 1kph its the same in the jetta.

Quote:
PS: i still cant figure out how CC works in manual transmission. Can we change gears after setting? Or will it disable CC? If yes, i guess its very difficult to use in India.

Cruise control disengages while changing gears, It will disengage if you press the clutch or the brake pedal, Its useful while using highways at times just slot it in the highest gear set a speed.
Old 4th July 2016, 22:49   #3932
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Cruise control disengages while changing gears, It will disengage if you press the clutch or the brake pedal, Its useful while using highways at times just slot it in the highest gear set a speed.
Well, some latest systems allow gear shifts as well while cruise control is active. For a certain time period (maybe about 2 seconds), cruise control gets suspended temporarily once the clutch is depressed and reactivates as soon as clutch is engaged again. If I remember correctly, a manual Golf which I drove some months back in EU had this feature.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 00:02   #3933
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Well, some latest systems allow gear shifts as well while cruise control is active. For a certain time period (maybe about 2 seconds), cruise control gets suspended temporarily once the clutch is depressed and reactivates as soon as clutch is engaged again. If I remember correctly, a manual Golf which I drove some months back in EU had this feature.
True, But i was solely referring to Polo GT Tsi or the jetta, Thats how the system works in these cars, We don't really get advanced version of anything here.. I think..
Old 5th July 2016, 07:02   #3934
BHPian

Quote:
Jetta does not have Hill desent control, Skoda Yeti has it. You can't increase the speed in multiples of 10, Only by 1kph its the same in the jetta.

Mine increases by 10 kph. Maybe it's an update on the latest Jettas?
Old 5th July 2016, 07:18   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It seems like a joke to me. Turn on the fog lamps and you can turn either way!

I do us the fog lamps, a lot, in my city streets.
Woah - that is some sales bs. "Dynamic cornering lamps" kind of have you expecting more. "Don't bother turning on your fogs, we'll do them for you. Auto fog lamps." is more like it.

I kind of expected an extra lamp in addition to the fog lamps that would be turned on to give you more visibility into the corner.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 5th July 2016, 07:20   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Indeed, a manual Renault Clio that I drove in France last week had this feature, but I thought the time allowed to use brake/accelerator/gears while retaining limit, was more like 10-15 seconds.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:02   #3937
BHPian

Has anyone experienced ABS kicking in on the Polo GT?

There are a few places where I my old i10 AT would do the "brake pedal judder". The best place was a wet (and somewhat slippery) downward parking ramp with a Fibre speed breaker.
If I ever hit the brakes hard, the ABS would kick in and take over. No drama it was all very safe, but I did feel the ABS kicking in.

On the same ramp with the Polo, i don't feel a thing. Either the wheels are just not locking up (better rubber?) or the brakes don't bite 'hard'. Again no drama, the car does brake in time and smoothly, but its doing with without ABS coming into play.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:36   #3938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Has anyone experienced ABS kicking in on the Polo GT?
One does not want to be in situations where ABS has to kick in, right? And in VW, Skoda cars and the likes, it will take much more before ABS kicks in. In my Innova it kicks in every time I approach a high speed breaker at slightly higher momentum, for the Octavia it has kicked in only twice and thankfully has saved me those times. Once it was a road covered with sand, the car in front braked suddenly (it was a Skoda Superb B5) so the moment I jammed the brake, ABS kicked in and didn't allow for wheel lock up. Although I experienced that the steering was also kind of dead and car just headed straight while braking. Had to release the brake to turn the car slightly. A very scary moment indeed. The second time was on freshly paved road, so for instance grip was already high and when I saw a bike coming right in front of me from nowhere, I pressed the brake pedal with full force while bracing for impact, the car came to a standstill without any drama. I was doing about 60 km/h. So need be, ABS will kick in, rest assure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Was testing this feature in one of the ghats section assuming that the car would maintain the cruise speed but i think that does't happen that way.
My understanding is that the cruise control can only increase the acceleration to the set speed but it would not brake if the speed is more than the cruising speed.

Almost all DSG cars in India have Hill Hold Assist. People often confuse it with Hill Descent Control.

HHA will hold your vehicle on an incline for few seconds till you can release the brake and step on the gas.

In my Octy DSG, cruise control works in any condition, uphill - downhill. It maintains the set speed so matter what. The brakes are applied automatically to maintain downhill momentum and I have never seen the speedo go above 1km/h under CC and going downhill. Should be the same for any VW group car.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:47   #3939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Mine increases by 10 kph. Maybe it's an update on the latest Jettas?
Like you press the increase button once and it increases by 10kph ? Thats new! Must be in the newer jetta's then, For me as well as 2012 - 13 - 14 Jetta's it increases by 1 kph only.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:56   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
Like you press the increase button once and it increases by 10kph ? Thats new! Must be in the newer jetta's then, For me as well as 2012 - 13 - 14 Jetta's it increases by 1 kph only.
Yup, it goes up or down in multiples of 10.
Even if the set speed is not a multiple of 10, it rounds of to the next 10.

Example, if i set it at 83, and press the + button once, it goes to 90, and then 100 and so on.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 14:04   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Yup, it goes up or down in multiples of 10.
Even if the set speed is not a multiple of 10, it rounds of to the next 10.

Example, if i set it at 83, and press the + button once, it goes to 90, and then 100 and so on.
I guess one can program this using vcds cable isn't it?
Old 8th July 2016, 14:02   #3942
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
There are a few places where my old i10 AT would do the "brake pedal judder". On the same ramp with the Polo, i don't feel a thing.
Could be down to the tyre size too. Your i10 was under-tyred with skinny 155 mm rubber. Plus, due to age, they probably had a couple of ten thousand km on them when you noticed this.

In comparison, your Polo GT wears 185 mm rubber. They're newer tyres too. Fatter + newer rubber = less slipping.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 14:03   #3943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I guess one can program this using vcds cable isn't it?
You can't. It is set to increase/decrease by 1 km/h.
Old 9th July 2016, 09:29   #3944
BHPian

There is no seat belt warning indications or alarms in polo��. I always thought its a norm by governement to provide seat belt warning indicators in all automobiles just like the restriction on type and decibel level of horns to be used.

Any idea on why vw omitted such a safety feature as i dont think cost cutting was the main aim here as seat belt warning indicator is not such a hightech gadget which will cost a bomb to vw..
Old 9th July 2016, 11:14   #3945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I always thought its a norm by governement to provide seat belt warning indicators in all automobiles
No it isn't. Yet.

Quote:
Any idea on why vw omitted such a safety feature as i dont think cost cutting was the main aim here
It is indeed cost cutting.

Quote:
as seat belt warning indicator is not such a hightech gadget which will cost a bomb to vw..
In VAG cars, the seatbelt warning indicator/chime is linked with the ACU (airbag control unit). There are several variants of the ACU - one that supports 2 airbags, 4 airbags, airbags with driver seatbelt warning, airbags with driver and passenger seatbelt warning, airbags with passenger airbag deactivation and so many permutations of these. The cheapest ACU is what we get in India for the Polo/Vento/Rapid and that is the one which supports 2 airbags.

The instrument cluster supports the seatbelt warning light but replacing the seatbelt anchor and connecting the cable to the ACU doesn't help. The ACU must be replaced with the one that support the warning.

I tried it before with the stock ACU and it gave an airbag warning error on the MID with the warning light (explained in detail in my ownership thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just as I had mentioned in detail in the previous post, the seatbelt reminder would not work due to the ACU (airbag control unit) not supporting this function. Had to remove the entire centre console to access the ACU, insert the pin in the relevant slot of the 50-pin connector, enable the option through VCDS under Instruments > Long Coding Helper but the cluster threw an Error: Airbag with the airbag warning light. Reverted back to the stock configuration. I will however revisit this later next year with a new ACU which supports seatbelt chime and passenger airbag deactivation. Swapping the ACU is relatively simple from what I’ve read.
Reverted back to the stock setup thus.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2016 at 11:17.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks