Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 10:26   #3976
Senior - BHPian

How does the remote locking work

I am curious about how the remote locking works for VW.

Scenario 1 : I lock the car with the remote lock. Then I proceed to unlock it manually with the using key on the remote. Nothing happens. It unlocks.

Scenario 2 : I lock the car with the remote with the windows down. And then proceed to unlock the car using the lever on the inside. It unlocks without any fuss. The remote is in my pocket at this time.

In both these scenarios the usual aftermarket security system woud have been screaming bloody murder. Does the car sense the remote near by perhaps?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 6th August 2016, 14:18   #3977
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
My sales assistant told that in GT TSI, the extra spoiler and black colored mirrors, etc was given by extracting the cost from the second spare key by making it a normal one :P . Who knows, may be VW really thought like that !!
Of course, the cost to the company would be a fraction of the price to the buyer, but I've seen 12K mentioned for a replacement remote: if offered as an option, the spoiler might not cost that much. Anyway, the GT spoiler is the same, whether TSI or TDI, isn't it?

VW, worldwide, are hardly generous with giving away toys and addons. However, they have added a lot to the Polo since my 2-year-old was born. I'm sure they consider every penny/cent/paise very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
... ... ... In both these scenarios the usual aftermarket security system woud have been screaming bloody murder. Does the car sense the remote near by perhaps?
There is an imobiliser, but I don't think there is any alarm system?
Old 6th August 2016, 23:48   #3978
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

Finally installed the GTI Steering Wheel in my Sept. 2013 model and enjoying every second spent behind the wheel. Here is a short summary of the experience

Purchase
1) Purchased from vwrtuning (ebay.com seller) who was recommended by many fellow members here.

2) Amazing seller, prompt responses, knows what he is talking about. Very good experience over-all

Installation (Followed Gannu_1's DIY thread. )

1) It sounds easier than it actually is. Had a tough time taking out the current Airbag system - Spent 2 hours !!

2) Was very much frustrated and had almost given up and called up few folks in Bangalore. Red Rooster and Pete's refused to install. Vagtune quoted 4.5K

3) Was determined to do it myself and again gathered courage and headed for parking

4) This time was lucky and could take out the airbag

5) After this, it was 2 min job to get the new steering fixed

Results

1) Audio controls and Paddle shifters working - No programming required

2) Buttons are always Backlit (on ignition) and doesn't require headlight to be switched on
sahilkhurana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:24   #3979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

There is an imobiliser, but I don't think there is any alarm system?
So the remote locking is just that - remote central locking? There is a small LED on the driver side door that starts flashing once you lock the car as similar to the arming of a security system. That made me feel that it was a security system rather than a regular lock/unlock arrangement.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:29   #3980
Senior - BHPian

1. Lock your car with your remote with the windows down.
2. Slide your hand to the inside door handle and open the car.

If the alarm rings, it's a security system. If it doesn't, then it's just an immobilizer. My Civic had a proper alarm.
Check and tell me.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 14:40   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
Of course, the cost to the company would be a fraction of the price to the buyer, but I've seen 12K mentioned for a replacement remote: if offered as an option, the spoiler might not cost that much. Anyway, the GT spoiler is the same, whether TSI or TDI, isn't it?
I'm not sure, but one of the sales guy in Kochi updated my friend that fitting GT spolier on non GT Polo will cost 21K INR.
Old 7th August 2016, 14:50   #3982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
So the remote locking is just that - remote central locking?
and immobiliser, but that has been common even on non-remote keys for decades. Oh, also the remote can control the windows: have you discovered that neat trick yet?

But alarm... I am pretty sure not. Despite the little flashing light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
... fitting GT spolier on non GT Polo will cost 21K INR.
eek!

Worth almost two remote keys!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 14:54   #3983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
I'm not sure, but one of the sales guy in Kochi updated my friend that fitting GT spolier on non GT Polo will cost 21K INR.
Irony is that the local dealers in cochin gets all accessories from Vagtunes, who infact source almost anything and everything through either Ali express or direct import from China. Mexican made GTI steering they gets apparantley from the same guy from mexico where most of our Tbhpians has already brought directly. The price difference is almost 30-50% from what we would have paid if brought direct from the buyer.

If you are looking to source GT spoiler, try and find a suitable one in black from aliexpress. I think you can get ir easily from 5-7K range. Dont get deceived by the exorbitant prices quoted by showrooms guys.

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 7th August 2016 at 15:03.
Old 7th August 2016, 15:45   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
If you are looking to source GT spoiler, try and find a suitable one in black from aliexpress. I think you can get ir easily from 5-7K range. Dont get deceived by the exorbitant prices quoted by showrooms guys.
Very much true, Vagtune rate for OE armrest is 10K while I sourced it from Aliexpress for 6K. Only thing is I waited for 2-3 weeks and some tension from courier guys.

My friend was just checking the price at showroom, he was a bit shocked to hear the price, GTI look a like spolier was quoted 5K at Autotree after the shock showroom guys gave. Hottracks Bangalore also is a good source if we don't have the patience to wait for Aliexpress shipment
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 12:03   #3985
BHPian

Since last week I am using partner's GT TSI.
My observations:
Pros
- Terrific engine-gearbox combo.
- Neutral handling.
- Good cabin insulation.
- Excellent interior build quality.
- Good rear seat comfort.
- Quality/design of steering wheel.

Cons
- Not so comfortable front seats. May be due to poor fitment of aftermarket seat covers.
- Noisy stock tyres.
- Average quality audio.
- Braking.

In short its fantastic car for an enthusiast. Just adding good seats and right tyres/brakes will improve overall desirability.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:51   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
My sales assistant told that in GT TSI, the extra spoiler and black colored mirrors, etc was given by extracting the cost from the second spare key by making it a normal one
I can't believe SA actually told you that Not sure how he came to that conclusion but interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
- Good rear seat comfort.
Sir, with due respect I am surprised that you mentioned this under 'pros'. I consider rear seat comfort/leg room is THE weakest link of Polo, am sure most of the owners would agree with this.
Quote:
- Not so comfortable front seats. May be due to poor fitment of aftermarket seat covers.
Even without seat covers lack of lower back support on front seats is painful on long drives. Other than this its a gem of a car, best AT hatchback you can own for 10-11L. It's like if you spend most of the time on driver seat you would pretty much overlook everything else

Last edited by BlueEyes : 8th August 2016 at 12:52.
BlueEyes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 14:49   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I can't believe SA actually told you that ...
Sales guys, in all industries, just open mouth and say... anything. In fact, we have a thread on some of their more absurd utterances.

I wonder how many car salesmen even get proper product-information training?
Old 8th August 2016, 15:31   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
Sales guys, in all industries, just open mouth and say... anything. In fact, we have a thread on some of their more absurd utterances.

I wonder how many car salesmen even get proper product-information training?
I must look up this thread! I am sure I could add some points!!

I hope this is not off topic - I had actually met a Maruti SA who was trying to convince my wife that AT cars were for high way driving and not for city driving - way back in 2011!

Girish Mahajan
Old 8th August 2016, 17:12   #3989
BHPian

But i got a reservation here. Yes, sales guys are not suppose to feed wrong information to a prospective buyer, having said that i also would like to point a finger at those customers who fall pray for whatever a sales person tell them. Infact if iam a prospective buyer who is ready to shell out few couple of lakhs for an automobile, don't you think iam suppose to know or do a research on the details of the product i intend to buy? Hence i dont blame any sales person who goes on hyper mode to convince a customer to complete his task assigned to him.
highwaypatrol is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 19:26   #3990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I must look up this thread! I am sure I could add some points!!
Here you go: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
... ... ... don't you think iam suppose to know or do a research on the details of the product i intend to buy? Hence i dont blame any sales person who goes on hyper mode to convince a customer to complete his task assigned to him.
Most of us do, and enjoy doing that research. But I don't think that lying by sales and marketing people, in any industry, is ever acceptable. However, worldwide, you will come across all too many people that think that spouting garbage, or just the first thing tht comes into their heads, is marketing. The saddest thing is that those guys are often successful

Most Viewed