Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 21:02   #4006
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

45k UPDATE:

So, its been an interesting and long journey with the GT TSI for nearly three years now and have clocked up 45,000 kms. Wow. I never thought i would gobble up so much distance in less than three years (Supposed to be having very less running and convinced dad who wanted a diesel when the divide between both fuels were record high). Now, i just don't miss a single opportunity to take it out for a spin. It has been a relatively event free 45k drive with the DSG. And all of my mods are holding up alright, the most important being the GTI wheel with paddles.

Link to my 30k service report - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3774050

No significant mods this year though. only change was when a overloaded truck coming on opposite lane in one of the state highways grazed against my right side ORVM, shattering the mirror. Since it was the asphyrical mirror with turn indicators, had to source the single mirror from aliexpress.

45k service experience:

The service centre was new for me as i had recently moved to coimbatore. The experience is pretty standard fair. Neither great nor pathetic. But one thing that stands out in this service is the DSG oil change. As i had enquired previously in this thread, i wanted to change the DSG oil for two reasons.
1. Mine was the earlier batch with lot of confusion over whether it had synthetic or mineral oil from factory.
2. The DSG really worked its *** in the crazy chennai traffic for nearly 30 months with the ongoing metro work complicating things.

There was a lot of confusion regarding oil change for the DQ200 dry clutch unit in the GT, not only in India but worldover. But after a lot of research, found two points that favored the oil change.
1. The synthetic oil filled DQ200 was supposed to be sealed for life.
2. But after VW made the switch to mineral oil, its said that the additives in the mineral oil denature (synthetic oil is supposed to contain minimal if not no additives). And this will warrant its change at 60k interval as the deposits can play fowl with the mechatronix unit.

Had lengthy discussions with the service adviser and service manager at VW and convinced them to change the DSG oil for mine at 45k odo. Since this is the first DSG oil change in a GT TSI they are doing, it took them 2 days just to source the oil. And the oil change and DSG software updates were completed at last. As you can see in the invoice, the part number for the correct DSG oil (mineral oil) is G-052-512-A2.

Post oil change:

Got delivery only today evening and drove nearly 10 kms home. The first and foremost thing that i noticed is the gearshifts are now even more smoother and the D3/2 jerks have all but vanished;
But not sure if its the oil change or the DSG software update. Will update on this after i have dome some serious distance after the oil change. Also having a hill station trip planned this independence day weekend and will share the experience once i return.

Hope the DSG stays this way for another 50k kms.

Special thanks to graaja for his help.

Safe driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-wp_20160813_20_01_09_pro.jpg  

drpudhi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 23:24   #4007
BHPian

Just got back from my first long drive on the GT in my 5th month of ownership and 5k kms. As expected, it was a fun drive from Bangalore to Wayanad and back. Here are a few observations:

1. If I wanted to overtake a vehicle, I would press the accelerator hard about one second before I wanted the car to actually start accelerating to make the overtake. This was in Drive mode. The DSG takes a second to realize that you need power and upshift then. Alternately, I would use Sports mode for instant upshift.

2. In hills, the DSG behaves very different in a good way. It keeps you in the power band while going upslope and holds gears longer. While descending, it again holds the gears as a measure to avoid the car going very fast. Impressed!

3. With 4 people and luggage and 100% AC use with mix of highway and hill driving, I got efficiency of 13.5 kmpl as calculated by the car. This is decent for the power that the TSI engine produces.

4. Once on the hills, there was a loud thud sound and a jerk. We slowed down to see if I had gone over some stone but the road was smooth and there was nothing that could have hit the car and made the sound. I had pressed the accelerator hard that moment to ask the car for an upshift and I am guessing that it was the DSG that jerked and made that thud sound. This happened only once and the DSG worked perfectly after that so I am not very worried. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Overall, I am really happy with the car's capability on long drives. There are people who think that a hatchback at 11L is very costly but I feel that for the experience and technology that the GT TSI offers, it is actually a steal at 11L. If Maruti cars are VFM, then the GT TSI is VVFM where the first V stands for VERY
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 03:06   #4008
BHPian

Just got my 6 month "free check up" done from Volkswagen Downtown Mumbai and they diagnosed the noise that i got when turning the steering wheel when stationary as a "front stud lubrication" issue. I'm assuming that its a typo and they meant strut.

So this is same as the problem Anshumandun and a few other members had so i guess this is a common issue with all Polos.

Anyway they lubricated the said part and the noise has gone.

Another issue i had was the right ORVM indicator light had stopped working which they said was due to a loose coupling.

The third issue I had was water accumulating in the spare tire well ( its the monsoon season now)

This happened only once and i removed the plugs in the well to drain the water, strangely this problem never recurred in spite of torrential rains

Since they said they'd need to keep the vehicle with them for 2-3 days to test and since it didn't recur i decided to defer the test for now.

Will revisit them should the need arise.

All in all a very pleasant experience from this A.S.S.

I've never had any issues with new cars so far from Honda and Hyundai, and though normally this would piss me off, they fixed these issues in a couple of hours under warranty and I SOOO love the engine and the DSG that i kinda overlook this.
nova9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 09:57   #4009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
1. If I wanted to overtake a vehicle, I would press the accelerator hard about one second before I wanted the car to actually start accelerating to make the overtake. This was in Drive mode. The DSG takes a second to realize that you need power and upshift then. Alternately, I would use Sports mode for instant upshift.

4. Once on the hills, there was a loud thud sound and a jerk. We slowed down to see if I had gone over some stone but the road was smooth and there was nothing that could have hit the car and made the sound. I had pressed the accelerator hard that moment to ask the car for an upshift and I am guessing that it was the DSG that jerked and made that thud sound. This happened only once and the DSG worked perfectly after that so I am not very worried. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Nice to know that you enjoyed your drive. But I'm sure in these situations you meant downshift instead of upshift?
97_Octane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 11:18   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Nice to know that you enjoyed your drive. But I'm sure in these situations you meant downshift instead of upshift?
Yes, I meant downshift. Thanks for correcting.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 22:48   #4011
BHPian

Is the 1.2l TSI engine supercharged? There are some articles which mention that only 1.4l and above are both turbocharged and supercharged.
Old 22nd August 2016, 00:55   #4012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Is the 1.2l TSI engine supercharged? There are some articles which mention that only 1.4l and above are both turbocharged and supercharged.
Its turbo charged.

I think, abroad they use a combination of a turbocharger and supercharger for some models.
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:37   #4013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Its turbo charged.

I think, abroad they use a combination of a turbocharger and supercharger for some models.
The old (pre-facelift) Polo GTI employs the services of a 1.4 litre TSI twincharger motor that is a combination of a supercharger and a turbocharger. The engine was replaced by a 1.8 litre TSI (all turbo) in the facelift GTI.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:22   #4014
BHPian

Thanks for the responses. I know it is turbocharged, just wanted to confirm whether it is also supercharged.

I have booked a Vento TSI. Since there is no separate thread for Vento TSI I am posting here. There is a DSG driving tip posted in a foreign forum on possible ways to (maybe) minimise chances of DSG failure. One such tip reads:
Quote:
One example is that in a slow traffic, don't just use the brake paddle to control the speed; stop and go as a normal auto.
Another post says
Quote:
avoiding letting the car 'creep' forward on the clutch is probably a really good idea
What do they mean by above two statements?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 02:11   #4015
BHPian

Auto dimming/ rain sensor IRVM

Hi,

Could someone with new Polo/Vento please share part number of this mirror

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-vwameo31.jpg

Regards.
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:01   #4016
Team-BHP Support

Re: Auto dimming/ rain sensor IRVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Could someone with new Polo/Vento please share part number of this mirror

Attachment 1545405

Regards.
3G0857511E

All the part numbers with the exploded views are available on the ETKA website.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 20:02   #4017
BHPian

Guys a couple of questions regarding what all modifications/upgrades can be done in case of GT TSI without affecting the (2+2) warranty.

1. Installing VW MK7 steering wheel with paddles
2. Upgrading front door speakers, installing a new after market head unit and installing 6x9 coaxials on rear parcel tray. (Damping doors as well)
3. Upgrading to 16" alloys and 195/205 section tyres or sticking to 15" OEM alloys and only swapping tyres.

As of now I can think of just these crucial upgrades/modifications. Will update in future as and when I think of something else.

Thanks in advance.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 20:36   #4018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Guys a couple of questions regarding what all modifications/upgrades can be done in case of GT TSI without affecting the (2+2) warranty...
To be honest, the only way to keep the warranty 100% intact is by running the car stock. But if you have a good relationship with the dealer, then you can definitely do all the above listed modifications and not worry about warranty. I have seen many instances where VW honors the warranty even after heavy modifications.

In the end, it all depends on your luck and your dealer.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:31   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
To be honest, the only way to keep the warranty 100% intact is by running the car stock. But if you have a good relationship with the dealer, then you can definitely do all the above listed modifications and not worry about warranty. I have seen many instances where VW honors the warranty even after heavy modifications.

In the end, it all depends on your luck and your dealer.
This doesn't sound comforting. My major concern is the very obvious DQ200 gearbox and that's my primary reason of even thinking of extended warranty. But at the same time, the above mentioned modifications/upgrades are really needed in order to fully enjoy this beautiful machine.

If I do go down this road, I'll be picking up the GT TSI from Ahmedabad and getting it registered in Pune. I guess I will need to read the warranty clauses very carefully and hope that if VW service center in Pune is helpful and not too fussy. Would be good to get some feedback of the SAs from other members.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 29th August 2016 at 10:32.
Old 29th August 2016, 10:48   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
This doesn't sound comforting. My major concern is the very obvious DQ200 gearbox and that's my primary reason of even thinking of extended warranty. But at the same time, the above mentioned modifications/upgrades are really needed in order to fully enjoy this beautiful machine.

If I do go down this road, I'll be picking up the GT TSI from Ahmedabad and getting it registered in Pune. I guess I will need to read the warranty clauses very carefully and hope that if VW service center in Pune is helpful and not too fussy. Would be good to get some feedback of the SAs from other members.
Normally if there is no wire-cutting done, warranty should stay intact. I doubt warranty will be void by simply replacing a part like the steering wheel to another VW oem manufactured part.

However this is India with poor consumer protection laws - so better be safe than sorry!

Last edited by reignofchaos : 29th August 2016 at 10:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks