Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 20:13   #391
BHPian

Just test drove it. One word... brilliant!!! The perfect blend of sporty city driving and highway bliss.. the way this car picks up speed is insane.. the gearbox is brilliant! Paddles, not missed one bit, and I come from an evo x SST. The suspension is more akin to the stock vrs, which is stiff yet comfortable. My advice to all the naysayers is Take a test drive. You will change your mind.
prithwi-81 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 22:33   #392
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Had back to back test drives of Vento TDI and Polo GT TSI at BU Bhandari, Pune. First, the most important point: As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty. On discussing the questionable reliability of DSG, they obviously defended, while admitting that few cases of Superb had issues, and that it was due to DSG doing the duty to its limits there. They are certainly following our forum and other forums where GT TSI and DSG issues have been discussed and they related my question immediately to these forums

First I drove the Vento TDI and then the Polo GT TSI. Tried all three options: D, S and Manual. The AC was on at all times. There is a definite lag initially in all three modes. Infact, I stopped and started from scratch multiple times in all modes, and found that the surge only comes around 2000 rpm, especially if you floor the pedal. And the lag was completely obvious in D mode when it happened twice that I floored that pedal to overtake the car in front but could not, since by the time the surge came, the vehicle approaching from the other side had come too close. The manual mode was certainly fun but takes time to really exploit, so I did not spend much time there. I have a feeling that the manual mode would be more fun than S or D (based on my experience with Mazda in the US). The S mode was the next best with the engine growl not too sweet (if you compare it with say 1.2 Kappa or 1.2 VTEC of Jazz). The D mode is good for sedate driving.

Overall, it was fun to drive. I did not get a chance to take it to the highway since the vehicle was not registered. But I had enough fun in the city as I found some short empty patches on the way.

The average shown on MID was 8.5 kmpl overall. The car had done 300+ kms.

To me, the almost all-black interiors looked way better than the beige.

The spare wheel was alloy too.

Any idea if RCD 320 has a provision to add two more speakers? As per the showroom guys, there is no provision.

It is 9.1L on road in Pune. No offers whatsoever. Around 15k extra for zero depreciation insurance and two year extended warranty. Obviously, it is quite a premium and only premium buyers will be attracted. If I recall correctly, Jazz MT without automatic AC and with much better space was being sold around the same price in its initial years and there were some premium buyers for it at that time too (although the petrol prices were not so ridiculous then).

The VW plant is undergoing renovation so the production for all VW cars is halted until May 12th or 13th. Probably VW will advertise the car only around that time. However, all three colors were readily available for delivery for the GT TSI. There had been four bookings until today.

Last edited by morphique : 4th May 2013 at 22:35.
morphique is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 01:14   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Had back to back test drives of Vento TDI and Polo GT TSI at BU Bhandari, Pune. First, the most important point: As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty. On discussing the questionable reliability of DSG, they obviously defended, while admitting that few cases of Superb had issues, and that it was due to DSG doing the duty to its limits there. They are certainly following our forum and other forums where GT TSI and DSG issues have been discussed and they related my question immediately to these forums

First I drove the Vento TDI and then the Polo GT TSI. Tried all three options: D, S and Manual. The AC was on at all times. There is a definite lag initially in all three modes. Infact, I stopped and started from scratch multiple time modes, and found that the surge only .
I m curious to know rhe comparison between the vento tdi vs polo gt from a driving experience perspective. Which one is more powerful and gives you push back in the seat feeling? And any other experience if at all? Thanks in advance
Old 5th May 2013, 07:30   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
I m curious to know rhe comparison between the vento tdi vs polo gt from a driving experience perspective. Which one is more powerful and gives you push back in the seat feeling? And any other experience if at all? Thanks in advance
Totally based on my test drive experience: I think the push back feeling is not to the extent I would have loved (being greedy ) in either of them. The main difference between the two was that Vento TDI shows its power early on (almost the moment you release the clutch in the first gear) compared to the GT TSI, but you cannot exploit the TDI much in the first gear since it is short. The GT TSI had an initial lag as I mentioned, but due to this lag, the sudden power becomes very noticeable (and this is when you get "kinda" pushed back), more so when you put it in S mode or manual mode, and floor the pedal. The GT TSI probably beats Vento TDI in 20 - 80 kmph acceleration.

Handling: I found both to be average. At some point, I even felt that the steering was totally disconnected. I guess it was the "speed-related" EPS.

Last edited by morphique : 5th May 2013 at 07:37.
morphique is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 07:38   #395
BHPian

Quote:
As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty.
Isn't this a very strange practice? I am finding it difficult to comprehend.. so they sell you a car but say, by-the-way you are on your own for this gear box - that we have put into this car. We will not provide any warranty for it. Even extended warranty has to be on entire car ( same inclusions from the base warranty ) or don’t provide the extended warranty at all.

This would be a major deal breaker for many. This shouts out loud, we don't believe in our own product but we want you to pay for it handsomely.
Old 5th May 2013, 07:44   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Isn't this a very strange practice? I am finding it difficult to comprehend.. so they sell you a car but say, by-the-way you are on your own for this gear box - that we have put into this car. We will not provide any warranty for it. Even extended warranty has to be on entire car ( same inclusions from the base warranty ) or don’t provide the extended warranty at all.

This would be a major deal breaker for many. This shouts out loud, we don't believe in our own product but we want you to pay for it handsomely.
Yes, it is. In fact, I did not argue with them but my point of view is that if the clutch or gear was under the driver's control, it is acceptable to have limited warranty or no warranty. But in this case, it is automatic and not controlled by the driver, so why should the customer take the blame for its malfunction?
Old 5th May 2013, 08:01   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, it is. In fact, I did not argue with them but my point of view is that if the clutch or gear was under the driver's control, it is acceptable to have limited warranty or no warranty. But in this case, it is automatic and not controlled by the driver, so why should the customer take the blame for its malfunction?
I will say you should argue and if you have a smartphone with you, login to the VW website and show what is mentioned in the brochure. Quite a lot of these sales guys are not aware of the facts, and the claims they make at times will act as a deterrent to prospective customer.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:10   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I will say you should argue and if you have a smartphone with you, login to the VW website and show what is mentioned in the brochure. Quite a lot of these sales guys are not aware of the facts, and the claims they make at times will act as a deterrent to prospective customer.
Does the brochure mention that the warranty is applicable to DSG too? I was not able to find that clause on the brochure on their website. The official warranty statement / booklet for the GT TSI was not yet available with the dealer.
Old 5th May 2013, 08:36   #399
BHPian

Quote:
This is certainly impossible, I am sure there is some rule in the CMVR that demands warranty on all parts. Not giving warranty on a gearbox doesn't make sense. More so when Skoda, from the same VW group, provides warranty on that very same part, in a car that is much more prone to a gearbox failure!
And then somebody had even mentioned some dealer confirming the extended warranty too!
I request you to please cross check once again, as most of the sales associates are ill informed at times, and almost always over confident! Though, the SAs at this particular dealership are better than the rest!
Old 5th May 2013, 08:42   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the brochure mention that the warranty is applicable to DSG too? I was not able to find that clause on the brochure on their website. The official warranty statement / booklet for the GT TSI was not yet available with the dealer.
Please refer to this post.

The brochure has clearly mentioned on the extended warranty for the GT TSI. Now I am not sure if it’s for the dealer to decide that an integral part like gearbox is not included in the warranty.
Old 5th May 2013, 14:08   #401
BHPian

hi all,
I went for a TD yesterday and all smitten by the TSI bug. The TSI-DSG is like nothing else out there for the money, so the initial skepticism I had over its pricing is gone a tad bit. Lot has been said by others about the kick back feel, but it's very prominent in tiptronic mode, or maybe it's just physiological as it has more driver involvement when compared to the S mode. Even though I loved the ease with which you could drive in Vellore's crazy traffic but yes if you are an enthusiast you need the manual box.

Also I need to mention that only-front-discs is not a deal breaker as well for on road use. During the TD, there was this scenario where there was a diversion on the NH and I was slowing down from about 130 to take the exit, there was a Tavera in front of me and the genius driver came to a complete stand still to check out an accident wreck on the opposite lane. Perfect panic situation, I braked hard and swerved to the left, the abs kicked in and as the car stayed planted, the adequate stopping power saved the day. So no worries there, for me at least, I am not good at this but yeah I would call its brakes above Swift ZXI.

Btw I want to know when would you want to turn off ESP, during a track day or something?

Below is the quote I got from VW Vellore, Chennai BHPians can give heads up if something is not right below.

Ex-showroom 813205
Insurance 29396
Registration and Handling charges 88821*
Drive Assure Elite+Extended warranty+P.C. Silver 24833*

Net on-road 956255

* I have asked for a break-up of these, especially want to know how much is this 'handling charges'

I still have little inhibitions over the DSG's reliability issue, especially as someone has just mentioned that it is not even covered under regular warranty. I have sent a mail to the dealer to clarify this before I even think of reaching my check book, will update you all. And also not happy with the colour palette available.

Cheers,
D.

Red polo GT looks good, but will wear on you quicker, I feel. What do you guys think is the next best choice white or black?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image.jpg  

delta5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 14:47   #402
BHPian

I went to Volkswagen Downtown Prabhadevi a few hours back to see if I would test drive this car. The car was in the showroom and right next to it was a board that said " if you aren't offered a test drive, you can claim your free gift". The receptionist was so busy reading the morning newspaper that she failed to see anyone that walked in. No issues there. So we ask for a test drive. Salesman says I will give you a short test drive in a car that is to be delivered to a customer tomorrow. I was flabagasted and flatly refused the test drive. I also told him that had you given my car that was unregistered and to be delivered to me for a test drive to someone else, I would be a very painful person to deal with. The to be owner of a Red TDI GT, if you are reading this please note your car is being driven by several people. As I walked out in disgust, I saw a customer just return from a test drive. Volkswagen are you reading this as should Mr. Amar Sheth. I have bought cars from Shaman for years (from all,dealerships except the Mercedes, which I will soon do) and I am sure the Sheth family would be very upset hearing this. I am one of the happiest customers of Shaman but today they shocked the hell out of me.

Last edited by NevGin : 5th May 2013 at 14:52.
NevGin is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 16:52   #403
Senior - BHPian

Like the board "Free gift if no test drive" why don't manufactures put compulsory boards that state "if test drive given in any car without test drive sticker, claim your free gift". This way customers also understand that manufacturers are serious about their reputation and discipline.

Also, manufacturers should ensure that all dealerships get adequate test drive cars and should track the test drive reports on a daily basis.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 18:11   #404
BHPian

Quote:
First, the most important point: As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Spoke to multiple dealers here and all confirmed that the DSG box is included in warranty and extended warranty. The car is a brilliant package for the price it is offered at.
msmatic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 20:15   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Spoke to multiple dealers here and all confirmed that the DSG box is included in warranty and extended warranty. The car is a brilliant package for the price it is offered at.
The main Mumbai dealer says he is not sure what's covered. This is a real spot we are in. Let me see if we can have VW clarify this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks