Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 21:36   #406
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Excellent review, rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

Perhaps I''m nitpicking, but where does VW get off using the the 'GT' badge?
This isn't a 'hot' hatch, its actually quite anemic by global standards and doesn't even begin to compare to true hot hatches like the Golf GTi, the Megane 265, the Focus STI or the Astra VXR.

GT stands for Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) and that epithet is usually reserved for cars that have exceptional performance - the top of the range. So while the GTi badge is deserved on the excellent top-end Golf, it's ridiculous on a 1.2L Polo.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 08:02   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
My advice to all the naysayers is Take a test drive. You will change your mind.
I agree. Just did a test drive yesterday. A brilliant, butter-smooth ride. Gear shifts are imperceptible. The fit and finish are impeccable. I loved the polished finish of the AC vents and the soft "just-so" feel of the gear lever. A dead pedal would have been just too nice.

I would love to buy this one in my next replacement, but since that is not coming up till the end of this year, I would like to see the ownership experience of others. Especially the gearbox. Its that nagging feeling that holds me back. I don't want to buy a 9 lakh car and not have its gear box last a lifetime with regular maintenance. Heck, I have a pre-owned Innova and I have just crossed 1,67,000 Km without NO issues and by that I mean ZERO issues its main parts. I don't mind paying a premium, but not for a car with doubts on its gearbox.

If someone has booked this car, please share your ownership experience.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 6th May 2013 at 08:03. Reason: typo
Old 6th May 2013, 08:02   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty.
These guys are wrong. I am sure there will be warranty on the gearbox. Extended warranty will be a bonus. How can VW provide so called comprehensive warranty and exclude the gearbox? I have not heard of any manufacturer that does this.

9.86lac on road in Bangalore for the Polo GT. Its pricey for sure but you get a missile in return. Some posts earlier, I was not sure what to make of the pricing. Some luxuries are missing which would have been nice to have and also make it a true GT. It now looks like this is what one has to pay today for a top technology hatchback and its not going to get any cheaper.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 09:01   #409
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the GT TSI yesterday evening at Patparganj Industrial Area. This was the last test drive of the day, having driven Amaze AT, and Sunny CVT moments earlier.
There is not much to say that has not already been said. The others are Cars (and Caaars), but this is a toy. It's fast, it has a premium feel, handling is great, the entire drive is butter. The pricing is good. At 8.95 on road, this is pretty much one of the fun-nest automatics you can get.

Now for the problem - The reason I'm looking for an AT, is for my wife, who's a spanking new driver. She has learnt driving on the trusty old Logan and occasionally the Gurkha. Imagine handing her the keys to the GT as her first car!
After all she is eventually going to figure out, that instead of getting her a new car, I bought myself a new toy, right? I'm gonna get sooooo kicked. :(
Need to meditate on this.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:15   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
First, the most important point: As per BU Bhandari sales guys, there is NO warranty on DSG - not even one day of warranty.
TDed the car today, I can confirm the above. They are making a distinction between the Mechatronic and the Dual Clutch. The Mechatronic is classified as an electronic component, and hence covered and will continue to be by the extended warrantly as well. The Clutch in itself is classified as mechanical, so like the suspension etc, there is no warranty. They have been warned about the DSG failures, and i was told that any problems with the mechatronic will be covered on goodwill basis too.

Btw, this dealer said that an official extended warranty will not be available for another month.

Other observations :

The steering is very light, almost no resistance at all, you can turn it with one finger. I have the Laura TSI, and was hoping to have a similar, slightly heavier
experience. Makes the car feel like a toy.

The Gear Shifts are smooth and imperceptible, infact in S mode you can feel the engine revving unnecessarily atleast in city traffic.

In Manual mode, the shifts are pretty quick as well, almost un-satisfactory. The +/- movement is a very short throw, and you kinda want more. I doubt you need to use it at all. stick it in D, and forget about it. Reasonable acceleration if you floor the accelerator even in D.

Not sure the GT moniker is merited. For an auto, grand tourer, they should have thrown in an armrest and a slightly more luxurious feel. The car doesnt make you want to sink in the seat and drive all day long. All black interior should have been a no brainer.

The bluetooth synced easily, however it is basic. Phonebook is not downloaded, only last dialed number. The Music compatibility is better, the name of the song shows up.. The HU display is basic, and really a letdown for a "modern" car I think they should have a bare-bones trim on this car, without the HU and the so-called premium upholstery. The price would have been lower, and people could spend money on getting exactly what they wanted.

The dealer said no offers, not even getting your own insurance. Altho they are offering zero dep for approx 20K instead of the listed 30K. Sp Bombay OTR individual is 9.2.

Looks like ready delivery is a distinct possibility.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:55   #411
Team-BHP Support

For whoever though this was overpriced, do see this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-details.html

Doesn't it seem like VFM now?
Old 6th May 2013, 14:20   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
For whoever though this was overpriced, do see this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-details.html
Doesn't it seem like VFM now?
I actually find the Polo 1.2 TSI quite VFM for what it offers (my top 3 parameters for VFM includes Safety, performance/drivability, and comfort). For less than 10 lakhs on-road, it’s a good package IMO.

Regarding, the A-Class, I guess it’s not fair to really compare with the Polo GT .
The output/performance of variants marked for India maybe similar to the Polo, but it’s more of VW Golf’s size/segment. A Golf TSI/TDI with DSG will easily cost close to 20 lakhs if launched in India.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th May 2013 at 14:21. Reason: removed repeating words
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 16:08   #413
Team-BHP Support

Yup. It's not exactly fair to compare the Polo GT to the A-Class. It's like comparing the Superb to the Merc E-Class. However, the comparison can lend some perspective at best.

From what I have understood, people aren't ready to spend large sums of money on a hatchback. Even if it is a good car. Almost every car sold here is considered 'expensive'. The problem is people don't judge the car based on its merits. They immediately look for cheaper 'VFM' options. They would rather buy a sedan even if they don't really require the boot.

Some of us look at the Polo GT as a car with good tech and solidity. While others think it's silly that it costs 10 lakhs. I personally don't subscribe to the latter. The fact of the matter is that VW cannot afford to price a Polo TSI DSG on par with or even marginally higher than the regular Polo and it seems to me that that's what people were expecting. Like I'd said earlier, people want the moon but expect NOT to be charged for it.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:05   #414
BHPian

Hi Guys
I read about the Polo Gti on this forum on thursday. Booked a td on friday. After td put in the down payment. Got the car on Saturday and I can say this is a really amazing car for any petrohead. Words don't do justice. As some other form members have said, you have to take a TD to know what its all about.

The cabin is the same as the regular polo I guess. They have put in a new music system which syncs nicely with my phone. Other than that the apollo tyres, in a word are god awful. First thing I did after taking delivery was to change the tyres to a nice set of michelins :-)

Regarding the extended warranty. The showroom sales rep said that it would be available in a couple of days.

Overall kudos to VW for bringing this car to the Indian market.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Also type properly without taking shortcut. For example 'I' and not 'i'. I've edited your post this time.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-gti.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2013 at 18:16.
ironager is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:24   #415
BHPian

Got a call just now from Abra motors Ambattur Chennai. Quoted 9.3l OTR , no discounts whatsoever. Still negotiating. The worrying thing though was on the extended warranty, he was not sure on what was covered. When I asked on the total bookings he mentioned 40 bookings so far at this dealership itself. Almost fell from my chair laughing . The number which I got from the other SA last week was 5 bookings in the cit nagar branch. Waiting period is approx 3-4 weeks max. Have been promised a TD early next week.

Any news from other Chennai TBHPians on this thread?
Old 6th May 2013, 17:32   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Yup. It's not exactly fair to compare the Polo GT to the A-Class. It's like comparing the Superb to the Merc E-Class. However, the comparison can lend some perspective at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Regarding, the A-Class, I guess it’s not fair to really compare with the Polo GT .
Its not really fair to compare it to a City or a Vento for that matter either, since they are different segments, but still people are doing it. The A class and the Polo are intended for totally different segments, but I just wanted to show my below point.

My only point being, does the Polo seem that expensive now considering you get 80% of the A class at less than half the price. The Polo Tsi DSG is a big step in the right direction by VW.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 6th May 2013 at 17:34.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:44   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Excellent review, rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

Perhaps I''m nitpicking, but where does VW get off using the the 'GT' badge?
This isn't a 'hot' hatch, its actually quite anemic by global standards and doesn't even begin to compare to true hot hatches like the Golf GTi, the Megane 265, the Focus STI or the Astra VXR.

GT stands for Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) and that epithet is usually reserved for cars that have exceptional performance - the top of the range. So while the GTi badge is deserved on the excellent top-end Golf, it's ridiculous on a 1.2L Polo.
The answer is in your post.
GT stands for Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) and that epithet is usually reserved for cars that have exceptional performance - the top of the range.
In India this is the top of the range spec Polo in terms of both performance, engine & drive train. To be fair there isn't any car below 10 Lakh that provides power & torque figures close to this hatch. So in Indian terms this car is deserved to take the GT word along its model name.

Below is the link from here VW Nederlands. Its the spec of Blue GT. I agree that external and internal aesthetic features are a bit less in our Indian GT , but hey the one in NL costs 20K Euros.
http://www.volkswagen.nl/modellen/po...tab=highlights
Old 6th May 2013, 18:07   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
Hi Guys
I read about the Polo Gti on this forum on thursday.....booked a td on friday......after td put in the down payment.......got the car on Saturday and i can say this is a really amazing car for any petrohead......words dont do justice...as some other form members have said.....
Regarding the extended warranty....the showroom sales rep said that it would be available in a couple of days.
Overall kudos to VW for bringing this car to the Indian market.
Let me be the first person to congratulate you on Team BHP's first Polo GT TSI.
And man that is so bloody quick, your process I mean. Please let us know the price break up and any accessories offered, also any info you get on the extended warranty.

Wish you a happy ownership and keep revving!

P.S.: I know you are all pumped up but typing with lots of ....... is not allowed as per teamBHP rules! Just a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Got a call just now from Abra motors Ambattur Chennai. Quoted 9.3l OTR , no discounts whatsoever. Still negotiating. The worrying thing though was on the extended warranty, he was not sure on what was covered.
Any news from other Chennai TBHPians on this thread?
Hi thiagust,
Please find below my earlier post quoted below. Could you please give a breakup for the 9.3L OTR figure given to you. I haven't negotiated anything yet, I am in no hurry but please share any final quote you get. The re-registration charges AFAIK from Chennai to Vellore is only 5k or so, if I am saving 25k I don't mind buying 140kms away. And the word from SA was that I was the first to do a TD and no bookings here yet, so if you are in a hurry you know where to book.

Quote:
hi all,
I went for a TD yesterday and all smitten by the TSI bug.

Below is the quote I got from VW Vellore, Chennai BHPians can give heads up if something is not right below.

Ex-showroom 813205
Insurance 29396
Registration and Handling charges 88821*
Drive Assure Elite+Extended warranty+P.C. Silver 24833*

Net on-road 956255

* I have asked for a break-up of these, especially want to know how much is this 'handling charges'

I still have little inhibitions over the DSG's reliability issue, especially as someone has just mentioned that it is not even covered under regular warranty. I have sent a mail to the dealer to clarify this

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 6th May 2013 at 18:24. Reason: Replied to thiagust
Old 6th May 2013, 18:08   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
got the car on Saturday
Hi ironager - congrats on getting (perhaps) the first Polo TSI GT delivery on TBHP. Please share your detailed views on the drive, other smaller things, and off course more pictures.

Also - please avoid....typing....like....this before the mods warn you for doing so!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 18:31   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Hi thiagust,
Please find below my earlier post quoted below. Could you please give a breakup for the 9.3L OTR figure given to you. I haven't negotiated anything yet, I am in no hurry but please share any final quote you get. The re-registration charges AFAIK from Chennai to Vellore is only 5k or so, if I am saving 25k I don't mind buying 140kms away. And the word from SA was that I was the first to do a TD and no bookings here yet, so if you are in a hurry you know where to book.

Cheers,
D.
I could faintly recollect your post when on the phone with the SA. I have asked for the breakup and expecting an email today. Also know that these guys are bluffing on the sales numbers. Have another VW contact, will check and let you know.

Most Viewed