Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2016, 11:49   #4216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Also please keep a pack of 1L synthetic engine oil in the boot. All TSI engines love to guzzle oil.
Hello Mate, Could you please elaborate a little more on this? I recently bought Vento TSI and would like to understand in what situations do I need to use synthetic engine oil while on a long drive on a fairly new car.

Thanks
Harpreet
lHarpreetl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 11:52   #4217
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Thank you all for your kind wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Congratulations! You will enjoy every minute with your new GT TSI.

Long drives are absolutely fine as long as you do not over stress the engine. Maintain sedate cruising speeds (80 - 90 KMPH in D7), as your engine would still be in the run-in phase.

One point I'd like to emphasize on is that when you have to stop at a signal/in traffic for more than 10 seconds, remember to shift into neutral instead of staying in Drive mode.

Enjoy the mental TSI
Argh ! You make valid points that are hard to follow, ha. Less than 90 on a freeway in a TSi ? God help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Congratulations!

Is it too soon for the engine? No. Honestly, getting used to your car should be priority no 1. Also the tyres and brakes need to break in before they perform optimally. Make sure the engine is put through varying RPMs and hence cruise control should be avoided.

Have a safe trip and endless miles behind the wheel!
I'm looking to swap the Apollo sets for Continentals, upon the suggestion of a friend. More feedback from the steering and a better grip is what I'm looking for.

Would a week of city driving ( 20kms avg/day ) suffice for breaking in the brakes and tyres ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Congrats! Please do a PDI before you take delivery. There is no reason not to do a long trip. Just remember to not maintain a particular rpm for long. Keep varying the RPM you drive at. Also please keep a pack of 1L synthetic engine oil in the boot. All TSI engines love to guzzle oil.
Alright, will keep a pack of 1L synthetic engine oil. Which one do you suggest ?

PDI before delivery ? I hope I find the time to. What purpose would this activity serve ? Are dealers approachable with this request ? ( My dealer is VW, Hosur Road )
Old 29th November 2016, 14:18   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post

I'm looking to swap the Apollo sets for Continentals, upon the suggestion of a friend. More feedback from the steering and a better grip is what I'm looking for.

Would a week of city driving ( 20kms avg/day ) suffice for breaking in the brakes and tyres ?

Alright, will keep a pack of 1L synthetic engine oil. Which one do you suggest ?

PDI before delivery ? I hope I find the time to. What purpose would this activity serve ? Are dealers approachable with this request ? ( My dealer is VW, Hosur Road )
1) Tyres would take approximately 600-1000 kms to break in. Apollo's would do fine for most purposes. If ride comfort isn't one of your priorities, the Yokohama S drives can be considered too. They're way more grippy than the Continental's.
Honestly, I'm happy with the Apollo's and still can't find a reasonable excuse to change brands. I have cornered at speeds which if mentioned can result in moderator action.

2) The engine oil can be purchased from the service centre itself. Stick to the stuff filled in at the factory. I think that would be the Castrol Magnatec plus which is only available at the SC. Check with the SC anyway.

3) As far as PDI is concerned , check-
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 15:11   #4219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
1) Tyres would take approximately 600-1000 kms to break in. Apollo's would do fine for most purposes. If ride comfort isn't one of your priorities, the Yokohama S drives can be considered too. They're way more grippy than the Continental's.
Honestly, I'm happy with the Apollo's and still can't find a reasonable excuse to change brands. I have cornered at speeds which if mentioned can result in moderator action.

2) The engine oil can be purchased from the service centre itself. Stick to the stuff filled in at the factory. I think that would be the Castrol Magnatec plus which is only available at the SC. Check with the SC anyway.

3) As far as PDI is concerned , check-
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list
1 ) Ride comfort is a major priority actually. I was of the opinion that the Continentals wouldn't sacrifice ride comfort as opposed to the Yokohamas. Should I stick with Apollos only then ? Any other brand that fares well in terms of comfort/ride and grip ?

2 ) Thanks for the tip on the oil ! I shall check with the SC too on this regard.

3 ) I read through the article. Makes a lot of sense to get it done but I doubt I'd be able to find the time to get it done. Just praying everything goes well
Old 29th November 2016, 15:18   #4220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1 ) Ride comfort is a major priority actually. I was of the opinion that the Continentals wouldn't sacrifice ride comfort as opposed to the Yokohamas. Should I stick with Apollos only then ? Any other brand that fares well in terms of comfort/ride and grip ?
If ride quality and grip are required, it makes sense to move on to Continental's. Apollo's are noisy and slightly harsh in that regard.
And with softer tyres, comes greater responsibility. Sidewalls have a tendency to get cut if you aren't careful. There are no of examples in this forum.
Have a good day!
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 15:27   #4221
BHPian

Sharing a photo of the IP cluster during a recent trip. Gauges reset and Refuelled outside the city.Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_6640.jpg
Old 29th November 2016, 17:23   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lHarpreetl View Post
Hello Mate, Could you please elaborate a little more on this? I recently bought Vento TSI and would like to understand in what situations do I need to use synthetic engine oil while on a long drive on a fairly new car.

Thanks
Harpreet
Quote:
Thank you all for your kind wishes !

I keep a pack of Shell 5w40 in my boot. Haven't required it in 5500 km so far but you never know. It is best to check the engine oil level once a week and make sure that it is above minimum. If it goes down, top it up. TSI engines are known to burn oil in the first 10-20000 km of their life after which oil consumption stabilizes.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:12   #4223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
Sharing a photo of the IP cluster during a recent trip. Gauges reset and Refuelled outside the city.Attachment 1580172
Slightly OT, but why take snapshots when driving at around 100 kmph!!??
Alertness and safety are of the utmost priority.
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 21:56   #4224
BHPian

Continental tyres seem to wear down fast, based on some reviews. Michelin P ST3 are silent and comfortable.

I gave my Vento TSI for 5000 km checkup last week. When I took delivery the service engineer briefed me on the jobs done but I was not paying attention. I think it included engine oil top up.
Old 29th November 2016, 23:30   #4225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
When I took delivery the service engineer briefed me on the jobs done but I was not paying attention. I think it included engine oil top up.
Hi,

I would not rely on them to confirm what jobs were completed , specially engine oil. Since this is once in a year activity I make sure I am around while car is getting serviced and periodically check what is being done. I usually get engine oil change in front of my eyes.

I understand that this might not be feasible for everyone but it helps in ensuring you are charged only for work performed during service.

Regards.
Old 30th November 2016, 08:37   #4226
BHPian

Quote:
This Monday morning has been rather splendid for me ! I just got word from my SA that my Polo GT TSi has reached Bangalore and I should be expecting delivery before this weekend
Congratulations! And welcome to the GT TSI club. We both are new members Mine is just over 2 weeks old.

Quote:
I drove down from Ahmedabad to Pune in my GT right after taking delivery. I didn't swap the Apollos right away and my personal opinion regarding them is that they are a decent set. Everyone has different needs/expectations and mine were certainly not getting fulfilled by those tyres. So I swapped them at 850kms and I was clear in my head about getting Michelin P3STs. The reason primarily being that I am using the same set of tyres on my SX4 and have covered over 20k on them. Great set of tyres with a perfect balance of comfort and grip. They perform extremely well on concrete roads and in wet conditions, where usually other models struggle.
MC5 is an Indian made Continental tyre introduced two years back, if I'm not mistaken. Overall feedback/reviews are good. You can search the forum for more details.
Finally, it's your call to decide what to pick. But either ways both - P3STs and MC5s are good and definitely an upgrade over the Apollos.
Aston Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 09:35   #4227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have used both Continental MC5 (on my Polo GT TSi) and Michelin P3ST (on the Jetta). In my opinion, they both are very similar. They both offer good grip and comfort. For the GT, I think your choice between these two will be based more on the size you choose to upgrade. Michelin P3ST is not available in 205/55. If you plan to go for 195/60, then you can choose P3ST. If you choose to go with 205/55, then MC5 is a good option.

If comfort is major priority, then do not go for Yokohama S Drives. They are mainly performance oriented and are not silent. PS: I have not tried the S Drives myself. This is from the many other experiences I read in this forum and in the internet.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 13:56   #4228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
*SNIP*. Michelin P3ST is not available in 205/55. *SNIP*
Huh????? I changed my Jetta to Michelin P3STs a couple of months ago. 205-55-R16.

Cheers
Old 30th November 2016, 14:00   #4229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Huh????? I changed my Jetta to Michelin P3STs a couple of months ago. 205-55-R16.

Cheers
Polo runs on 15" rims not 16"
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:00   #4230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Cheers
For the Polo, it is 205/55/R15

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks