Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 10:25   #4246
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Congratulations! And welcome to the GT TSI club. We both are new members Mine is just over 2 weeks old.

I drove down from Ahmedabad to Pune in my GT right after taking delivery.
Hi Aston, I'm in a similar condition as yours and will be taking delivery of my GT in the coming week or two at Ahmedabad itself. I will be straightaway driving it back to Mumbai where I am currently staying.

Had a few questions to ask:

1) What precautions do I need to take on the drive as the engine will technically be still in the run-in phase?

2) Do I have to take breaks during the journey and/or vary my RPMs too much?

I'll be taking leave from work only for my car delivery and drive back to Mumbai and so I technically have no time to do a proper run-in!

Thanks in advance!

PS: 1st post on teamBHP! And insanely excited for my GT to come
Old 5th December 2016, 10:35   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post

I'll be taking leave from work only for my car delivery and drive back to Mumbai and so I technically have no time to do a proper run-in!

Thanks in advance!

Congrats GTp0wer on your buy and welcome to the GT club, which seems to be filling in everyday

The first couple of thousand KMs are vital for engine life and longevity. Just follow the instructions/advice listed in the following thread and you will be good to go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Wish you a happy motoring and drive safe.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 11:32   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aston, I'm in a similar condition as yours and will be taking delivery of my GT in the coming week or two at Ahmedabad itself. I will be straightaway driving it back to Mumbai where I am currently staying.

1) What precautions do I need to take on the drive as the engine will technically be still in the run-in phase?

Thanks in advance!

The owner's manual also has some information about the initial engine run-in period. Since that information is specific to the engine and the vehicle, it would be good to go through that too.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 19:15   #4249
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Hey! Congratulations and welcome to the GT and Team-BHP club!

Regarding the engine run-in and your first long drive in the GT, you don't need to sweat too much about it. I left early morning from Ahmedabad around 5 AM and I had entered Mumbai by 12 noon. I just stopped twice, once for 10 odd mins and later around 11 or so for 45 mins.

During my journey I maintained a speed of 90-100, occasionally touching 110. I don't think you need to vary your RPMs too much. You will eventually brake and slow down/pick up speed depending on traffic so that would be good enough. Try and be gentle on the brakes and on the throttle. Honestly, not much to worry about. Enjoy your drive and of course the car
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 22:31   #4250
BHPian

Has anyone noticed the fogging up of windscreen in their GT due to rain outside or in winters, I am very happy with my car but off late this problem has been troubling me
Also, i thought this was only in early 2010 or 2011 vehicles
Any remedy??
Old 5th December 2016, 22:52   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Has anyone noticed the fogging up of windscreen in their GT due to rain outside or in winters
Any remedy??
Have you tried the options in climate control, try to direct cold air towards the wind screen. I usually just open the driver and passenger window an inch or so if it's just cold, never had fogging in rains.

My climate control is set to 23 -24.

For early morning drives, I drop it down to 20 if it's 15 or so outside.

Edit: checked your profile and realised that you are from Noida, winters here are way milder in comparison.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2016 at 07:45. Reason: u> you. Please refrain from posting in SMS lingo on the forums. Thanks!
Old 6th December 2016, 10:26   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey! Congratulations and welcome to the GT and Team-BHP club!
Thank you Aston, the waiting period is the worst!

Also, off-topic, but might be useful for prospective buyers in Ahmedabad for the GT, OTR price is 10.33L. However, I got a good deal of 10L OTR (33k discount) due to some references, and the SA is willing to offer the same if someone wants to buy the GT.

I'd be happy to put any prospective BHPians in touch with the SA and help them get this deal! (Only in Ahmedabad though)

Cheers
Old 6th December 2016, 22:11   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
You know about the dip or nose-diving, it's because of the stock oil-based shock absorbers. It started happening with my car too, when those shocks were installed, that also led to decrease in ground clearance.
Not the Polo but the Vento TSI, but just might be relevant: in stop go traffic even when I apply brake gently I feel a rocking motion before the vehicle comes to a stop. It feels as if it has stopped but not quite: there is a small backward motion. Is this the nose diving? I never felt it as a diving motion, rather horizontal rocking motion. Nevertheless it is nausea inducing, so I try to be very gently. Just before it stops I release my foot a little bit and apply again.
Old 6th December 2016, 22:45   #4254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Aston, the waiting period is the worst!
Wow thats the best anyone has managed so far. All I could do was get 10k off on zero dep insurance and another 3.5k corporate discount when I got it end of may.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2016 at 10:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 6th December 2016, 23:35   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Not the Polo but the Vento TSI, but just might be relevant: in stop go traffic even when I apply brake gently I feel a rocking motion before the vehicle comes to a stop. It feels as if it has stopped but not quite: there is a small backward motion. Is this the nose diving? I never felt it as a diving motion, rather horizontal rocking motion. Nevertheless it is nausea inducing, so I try to be very gently. Just before it stops I release my foot a little bit and apply again.
I have not faced that issue, but I can kind of understand the nauseating feeling you have described. I think that could be due to the soft suspension, or maybe even the tyres if they are comfort oriented. Upon braking, the soft front suspension could be compressing a lot (nose diving), and when going back up, the soft rear could be compressing similarly (tail-squating).

These cars definitely tail-squat too, apart from nose diving. Just a few hours ago, a new Vento accelerated from about 15 kmph, and it visibly tail-squated while I was driving right behind it.

Moreover, I think tyres with soft sidewalls may be the cause too. The braking action tends to stop the car, and the momentum of the car could be causing the to and fro motion at the the 3 o clock and 9 o clock positions of the tyres. Check the tyre pressure too.

Having said that, I could be wrong here and the cause could be something else too. Have you had any suspension components replaced, or has your car ever suffered any damage? How many kilometers has the car clocked?

Last edited by halfbytecode : 6th December 2016 at 23:47.
Old 7th December 2016, 09:18   #4256

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
So, got a long pending modification done – the Bilstein B6s on stock springs.

I’ve now resolved that for my future cars, the first modification I’ll do would be suspension. Everything else can wait.
Can you please PM me the supplier details?

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th December 2016 at 09:29. Reason: Long post quote trimmed
Old 7th December 2016, 14:26   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Having said that, I could be wrong here and the cause could be something else too. Have you had any suspension components replaced, or has your car ever suffered any damage? How many kilometers has the car clocked?
Its a brand new car. I have put it on a comfort tyre, Michelin PST3.

It can get a bit dizzying in long traffic jam. The thing is, the car gives a slight backward motion after the brain thinks the car has come to a halt. So it is a bit disconcerting and confusing, thinking whether it is actual motion or relative motion.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 16:15   #4258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a brand new car. I have put it on a comfort tyre, Michelin PST3.

It can get a bit dizzying in long traffic jam. The thing is, the car gives a slight backward motion after the brain thinks the car has come to a halt. So it is a bit disconcerting and confusing, thinking whether it is actual motion or relative motion.
I haven't felt any such backward motion while braking. This sounds abnormal. Why don't you get it checked at the dealer's workshop? Take it for a drive with a service person and he should be able to identify the issue.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:21   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I haven't felt any such backward motion while braking. This sounds abnormal. Why don't you get it checked at the dealer's workshop? Take it for a drive with a service person and he should be able to identify the issue.
It is probably due to my desire for a perfect stop: roll to a stop with no 'rebound' (for want of a more appropriate word). Most drivers would stop a car with a nose dive and a rebound by the way they apply the brake. So you would get thrown forward a bit as well. I yearn for a perfect, gently stop.

I would not trust a service engineer to appreciate such simple nuances. They just drive fast and apply brake suddenly. Earlier I complained about sticky brake. Two service engineers from two different service centres told me there is no problem with the brakes. My wife, who drives it sometimes, also does not feel there is a problem. So it must be me!
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 00:25   #4260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I yearn for a perfect, gently stop.
Indeed. The text-book-perfect stop is one that one can barely feel at all, with less brake pressure than during the slowing-down phase.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks