Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2017, 11:10   #4291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The 1.4 TSi story was just a hoax afaik. The car that was discovered was actually a 1.0 TSi with manual transmission. The 1.4 is not really happening at least if Indian taxation rules stay the same way. If you want a more powerful version, the GTI is the only option.

Thanks for the info! The GTI is way to overpriced for what it is, and my abarth is currently satisfying my need of power. Just needed a fun automatic for the city and with a paddle shift steering the polo will surely be a joy! Also wanted to ask about the new 110 BHP 1.2 TSI that you had reported. Surely don't want to miss out on that.
Old 16th January 2017, 11:44   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Thanks for the info! The GTI is way to overpriced for what it is, and my abarth is currently satisfying my need of power. Just needed a fun automatic for the city and with a paddle shift steering the polo will surely be a joy! Also wanted to ask about the new 110 BHP 1.2 TSI that you had reported. Surely don't want to miss out on that.
There was some rumors in the grapevine that the 1.2 DOHC might replace the current 1.2 SOHC. The latter's production is stopped worldwide. The new engine is supposed to be the default engine going forward and shall be assembled in India. No clue about ETA.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:34   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hi, did you get any updated date from the dealer on allocation by VW? I've still not got an updated on the expected delivery. 12th will make it a month since booking
Apologies for the late reply. Been tied up due to work.

My car has been invoiced and I am paying the Dealer my Balance Payment.

I have held back the Insurance Amount for now. The Dealer notified me of a price rise by about Rs. 7000/-

Could someone verify this? If he is overcharging I shall adjust it in the Insurance amount.
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 12:16   #4294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post

Could someone verify this? If he is overcharging I shall adjust it in the Insurance amount.

On my way to pick my car up as I write this. Yes there was a minor increase on the price.

Will post details later in the day
Old 19th January 2017, 09:30   #4295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
None.
Unless you want to forego your suspension and steering related warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I think he already got 195/60R15 S-Drives as mentioned in another post elsewhere.
Yes, I got them upsized to 195/60/15 Michelin P3ST.
The car feels planted and the steering is not unnervingly light as before.
About the warranty, the only components that I care about are the DSG and the engine

Also, wanted to ask a question. When I got my car, upshifts in the D mode used to happen at around 1500-1600 RPM, however after 1300 kms they're happening at 2000-2100 RPM in D mode. What seems to be the cause?
GTp0wer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 09:46   #4296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
Also, wanted to ask a question. When I got my car, upshifts in the D mode used to happen at around 1500-1600 RPM, however after 1300 kms they're happening at 2000-2100 RPM in D mode. What seems to be the cause?
The DSG is self learning and adapts to your driving style over time. Depending on how aggressive you drive, the up-shift points adapt.

Last edited by graaja : 19th January 2017 at 09:47.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:35   #4297
BHPian

So after what seemed like ages, we finally got to take "Leila" home. Kinda funny because the day of the delivery i got up thinking - in all the time spent searching, finalizing and waiting for the car - I hadn't really bothered to think of a name.. & then coincidentally Eric Clapton's "Layla" came up - and i was like - perfect!

So here's our lil family runabout hatch for the crazy city driving in Mumbai. I still cannot quite get over how insanely awesome the Carbon Steel colour looks! I've decided that GT should be the acronym for German Temptress

@ Mods : hope i posted the link and image correctly.. been a while since i shared pics. If not - please do let me know will be happy to correct!
Vandit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:35   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The DSG is self learning and adapts to your driving style over time. Depending on how aggressive you drive, the up-shift points adapt.
That's a very plausible explanation, given that once the car passed the 1000 mark, I have driven in S for most of the time

Is there any way to kind of 'reset' the adaptation, or I'll just have to drive sanely and patiently wait for the DSG to unlearn and learn again?!

Interestingly, I've never come across an official statement from VW or the auto industry in general about the adaptation concept. What if this is just a big myth!?
Old 19th January 2017, 20:37   #4299
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, I've never come across an official statement from VW or the auto industry in general about the adaptation concept. What if this is just a big myth!?
To me, it's a myth for most part. DSG has some memory, but not more than a few mins.

My DSG has always behaved consistently, after an aggressive drive it comes back to normal in 1-2 mins.

Here's how early it upshifts in D:
1-2 = 900rpm (with no accelerator input!)
2-3 = 2000rpm (never shifts before this)
3-4 = 1900-2000rpm
4-5-6-7 = 1400-1600rpm

this has been consistent from day one for me, no matter how i drove, it comes back to this routine in next 1-2 mins.

When driving in slow traffic, I so wish, if it could shift up sooner into 2 and 3, instead of dragging @ 2000rpm, which is past the peak torque point, but it doesn't and I end up driving in manual mode most of the time.

Last edited by SLK : 19th January 2017 at 20:48.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 12:33   #4300
BHPian

The DSG neither "learns" nor "adapts" to your driving style. I have copy-pasted the relevant paragraph below from this site: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/vw...i-stronic-faq/

"Some have said that the DSG transmission learns your driving style but this is technically incorrect. The DSG transmission shift behavior adapts to variables like internal wear, D or S mode, and other input factors like throttle position and rate of change, uphill or downhill, and applies these variables over an existing shift map. Learning is the wrong term since it means new knowledge that wasn't there before- the transmission cannot learn anything new, it just applies variables to existing maps. Some engineer has already determined and tested how the shift maps and variables will react. There is no single input field "driving style". The perception of a reaction to driving style is the result of the change in a number of variables applied to the shift maps. So yes the transmission adapts but not how most people think. Although "learn" might be used in marketing literature, it's not the right word to use when describing technical operation."
tilt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 14:06   #4301
BHPian

Pretty much what I was thinking while stuck in the DND traffic jam this morning. The last few posts were on the back of my mind. I had imagined a few pre-programmed settings (shift maps), one of while is applied when certain set of rules (based on sensor inputs) are satisfied. So it is constrained within the preset map.

On the other hand if it were actually self learning, the system could concoct a setting which may not be altogether good. I do not mean to say that it will be intentionally bad, rather the system do not know what is good and what is bad. All those who have read Michael Crichton novels would understand what I am getting at.
Old 20th January 2017, 14:25   #4302
BHPian

If this learning style is a myth, then are these "DSG reset procedure" also myth?

Also when I bought the car, it used to shift too early. Now it seems to shift 200-300 rpms later. When new, D mode used to shift up on full throttle at 4500 rpm., now it does the same at 5000 rpm. Or, am I imagining?
Old 20th January 2017, 15:25   #4303
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to kind of 'reset' the adaptation, or I'll just have to drive sanely and patiently wait for the DSG to unlearn and learn again?!
1 Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position, but don't start the engine

2 Push down on the gas pedal and hold it pressed for 30 seconds

3 Let your foot off the pedal and start the car. Do not turn the ignition off because that will void the reset
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 15:42   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
1 Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position, but don't start the engine

2 Push down on the gas pedal and hold it pressed for 30 seconds

3 Let your foot off the pedal and start the car. Do not turn the ignition off because that will void the reset
Thanks nova9!

I tried to do some digging for proof / official statements and came up with an article that shares similar views. It also has some additional information that may be useful.

Sharing the link:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...hp/t-8118.html

Can't vouch for the authenticity, however comments from the junta are quite positive.
Old 21st January 2017, 17:20   #4305
BHPian

With VW being notorious for launching updates and upgrades ever so often, has anyone heard anything new coming in for the GT TSI? I am looking to buy one but am nervous that I would end up buying at the wrong time. Was hearing rumors that the engine is going to be replaced by a DOHC engine? Also when I inquired with a dealer here in Mumbai, he said it would take 2 months to procure the GT TSI fueling my concerns even more that maybe an upgrade is due. Any thoughts anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks