Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 17:23   #4426
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hi Guys, I am a Second time GT owner, I Sold my First 2013 GT TSI this month and Now going for the 2017 GT TSI, Earlier I had a White now Booked the Carbon Steel, While booking I saw the New Vento with DRL, its nice to have DRLS on GTTSI aswell,

1) So any one here knows if the GTTSI is coming out with the DRL/s soon? considering Baleno RS competition??
2) Can the Vento headlight which are ALL LED and with DRLs be fitted to GT TSI?

Would appreciate some insight on the same...
Shai100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 20:41   #4427
BHPian

Hi folks! I had bought the GT TSI in February 2016 for my wife and we have been enjoying a wonderful year with the car.

I had sent the car yesterday (3/03/2017) for the first year service and had opted for pollen filter change and interior cleaning. I took the car back after the service last evening at about 7pm.

This morning, I took the car as I wanted to see and feel if the service had made any difference.
The car was stinking badly after every short drive and I actually parked the car with the windows an inch or so open. I thought the mats or seats must be wet.
When I leaned over and looked at the front passenger footwell, I was shocked to find a filter lying there! I lay down and took a good look at the opening for the pollen filter, which was without the plastic door ! Horror of horrors, the filter had been placed and taped with black insulation tape!

I was livid! I called up to Trichy Volkswagen and gave the service advisor a piece of my mind! She was very apologetic and said," Sir it is my mistake! The mechanic had told me yesterday that the door of the pollen filter slot was missing and I have placed an order for the same . I forgot to mention this while giving delivery." I told her that she had better arrange a replacement or I am going to writeto customer care of Volkswagen and raise hell!

I went to the service station anyway , where I was met by the customer relations manager who again toed the same line of the door being missing. I told him that there was no reason for me to go open that and remove the filter. I was offered the reason that it might not have been replaced after the inspection and cleaning at the 6 months optional service. When I asked how the filter managed to stay put all these days without the door hI was met with silence. He then offered to replace it. I told him I don't mind paying for it if he replaced it with a new one. He then fixed it with a stand in replacement and promised to get it replaced with the fresh piece as soon as it arrives right at the convenience of my home.
Trust no one folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Thank you, subrasri. Which size did you choose? 195/55/R16? Or did you upsize?
However, I noticed yesterday, at the time of the delivery, VW recommends a tyre pressure of 36 ps with 2 people onboard.
GT owners, kindly share the tyre pressures you maintain. Was it this high for the earlier 15" size?
I maintain 31 in the front and 29 PS in the rear on my GT TSI clad with the 15 " tyres. Amazing ride quality but mileage is always around 11kmpl
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20170304wa0008.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20170304wa0009.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th March 2017 at 08:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 20:49   #4428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I told him I don't mind paying for it if he replaced it with a new one. He then fixed it with a stand in replacement and promised to get it replaced with the fresh piece as soon as it arrives right at the convenience of my home.
Trust no one folks!
All said and done, why on earth are you willing to pay for it? It is clearly either broken by their mechanics or stolen. There is no third possibility right? Why will you offer to bear the brunt of their inefficiency?
Old 4th March 2017, 20:54   #4429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
All said and done, why on earth are you willing to pay for it? It is clearly either broken by their mechanics or stolen. There is no third possibility right? Why will you offer to bear the brunt of their inefficiency?
The service advisor was in tears and I wanted this to end quickly 😂
Old 5th March 2017, 17:07   #4430
BHPian

Dear All,

After going through all the threads and encouragement from some esteemed members, I've booked Carbon Steel Grey color Polo GT TSI. The car was booked last Sunday and delivery was promised for today. However as expected from our SA, the delivery is delayed by week due to non availability of color. I've been promised the latest model with R15 rubber. Although they didn't know the size but thanks to this forum, I know it now.

Since waiting is a painful and dull phase, some questions popped in my mind.

1. Can somebody share what is the "Engine Breakin kms" for GT TSI? Is it still valid on latest cars or manufacturers do the job? If it is still valid, what are the limitations with respect to speed and RPM?

2. Can somebody share how is the engine oil consumption of the car? One of my friend has Skoda Superb and told me the car literally drinks engine oil. Since polo also has similar TSI engine, I thought to ask for experiences.
deepak_bajaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 00:27   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I maintain 31 in the front and 29 PS in the rear on my GT TSI clad with the 15 " tyres. Amazing ride quality but mileage is always around 11kmpl
Well, in the new avatar with 16" rims and 195/55 rubber, the recommended tyre pressure is much higher: 36 and 33 psi respectively for the front and back tyres with minimum load. I have followed these pressure spec on the new Conti tyres I put on, and today afternoon, I had a 40+ km drive, and I am satisfied with the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_bajaj View Post
After going through all the threads and encouragement from some esteemed members, I've booked Carbon Steel Grey color Polo GT TSI.
Congratulations on the booking. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I've been promised the latest model with R15 rubber. Although they didn't know the size but thanks to this forum, I know it now.
I am sure, you must have noticed that the current stock size is R16. You should bring that to the notice of the dealership. Once the car is shipped from the factory, the dealership is aware of the VIN of the car being shipped. You should find out this number, and then verify the month and year of manufacture, and also the make-year.

Quote:
1. Can somebody share what is the "Engine Breakin kms" for GT TSI? Is it still valid on latest cars or manufacturers do the job? If it is still valid, what are the limitations with respect to speed and RPM?
All cars need to be run in for the first 1000 - 1500 kms of drive. No exception for the GT TSi. Engine breaking in is described in page 116 of the Owners' manual, brake pad break-in on page 113, and tyre break-in on page 248. These are a few lines each and should be readable during the delivery ordeal. Basically the bottomline is: do conservative driving, no sudden changes, no super-aggressive stuff. During and after break-in period, always, warm up the car gently before getting into your normal strides as a driver, idle for at least 30 seconds after you reach your destination (important for the turbo). In addition, people suggest a few DSG specific guidelines (to be observed always for long term well being of the DSG transmission) that I am trying to get into the habit of maintaining.

Quote:
2. Can somebody share how is the engine oil consumption of the car? One of my friend has Skoda Superb and told me the car literally drinks engine oil. Since polo also has similar TSI engine, I thought to ask for experiences.
I have not heard of this in case of the GT TSi. Other members may opine.

Last edited by asitkde : 6th March 2017 at 00:28.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 00:42   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
========
Since waiting is a painful and dull phase, some questions popped in my mind.

Point #1 has already been answered above.

As for Point #2, I have a GT TSI which has run over 14,600 KMs. Nothing snarky experienced regarding excess oil consumption - has been perfectly fine. I've religiously stuck to the service intervals/check ups, and keep a tab on the oil levels myself too.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th April 2017 at 16:19. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 01:35   #4433
BHPian

Quote:

2. Can somebody share how is the engine oil consumption of the car?
Just had my first service done in Feb, the car has done 11k odd kms, nothing out of the ordinary to report. I never had to top up the oil and during the one year service they changed the oil as per company policy.

Perhaps this was an issue in earlier models.. but not any more
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 07:59   #4434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I have followed these pressure spec on the new Conti tyres I put on, and today afternoon, I had a 40+ km drive, and I am satisfied with the ride.
@asitkde - Congrats on your new purchase of the GT TSi.

Could i take the liberty to ask you to please post some pics of your car with the 16" rims and tyres? There are absolutely no pics as on date of the updated MY17 GT on this forum apart from the scoop pics. I am interested to see how the car looks with the larger wheels in terms of its overall stance.

Cheers

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2017 at 09:43. Reason: Removing text-formatting
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 09:04   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
@asitkde - Congrats on your new purchase of the GT TSi.

Could i take the liberty to ask you to please post some pics of your car with the 16" rims and tyres? There are absolutely no pics as on date of the updated MY17 GT on this forum apart from the scoop pics. I am interested to see how the car looks with the larger wheels in terms of its overall stance.
Thank you. Let me try putting up a few pictures of my car, with 16" rims and tyres, taken with my iPhone, hence not DSLR quality. I promise to put up better pictures if I manage time to start an ownership thread after the car settles in a bit. Here goes:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1226.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1227.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1229.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1230.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_1232.jpg  

asitkde is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 19:28   #4436
BHPian

Hi folks. As a new GT driver had a query on using S mode. Should I wait till run in period is over (1500 km?) before driving in the sports mode? Understand it's good to take it lightly during the run in period so wasn't sure if it'll be okay to drive spiritedly during this phase. Or is it actually advisable to also drive in S mode during run in period for better engine performance in the longer run? At the moment I am fully driving in only D mode in sedate fashion (completed around 500km) I don't want to later experience S mode which behaves like D mode because of my initial driving pattern.
Old 6th March 2017, 19:59   #4437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Hi folks. As a new GT driver had a query on using S mode. Should I wait till run in period is over (1500 km?) before driving in the sports mode? Understand it's good to take it lightly during the run in period so wasn't sure if it'll be okay to drive spiritedly during this phase. Or is it actually advisable to also drive in S mode during run in period for better engine performance in the longer run? At the moment I am fully driving in only D mode in sedate fashion (completed around 500km) I don't want to later experience S mode which behaves like D mode because of my initial driving pattern.
Advisable to increase performance in a gradual manner as the kilometers lap up. You can use S mode but take care of these two things:

- avoid depressing the gas pedal completely

-do not take the engine to redline and also try to avoid abrupt throttle inputs

You can use S mode otherwise and the gearbox will always monitor your driving style. If it thinks that you are driving aggressively, (say for 500 km or more) it will automatically adjust the gear changes if I am not wrong.

It continuously keeps on monitoring driving style.

Hope you found this helpful.

Regards,
Vishy76
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 18:33   #4438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Hi Guys, I am a Second time GT owner, I Sold my First 2013 GT TSI this month and Now going for the 2017 GT TSI, Earlier I had a White now Booked the Carbon Steel, While booking I saw the New Vento with DRL, its nice to have DRLS on GTTSI aswell,

1) So any one here knows if the GTTSI is coming out with the DRL/s soon? considering Baleno RS competition??

Would appreciate some insight on the same...
Congrats on the booking. Do let us know your experience with the First GT TSI you had. Did you have a dedicated thread about it here on the forum. Would love to know if you had ever faced the infamous DSG issues. I am myself contemplating going in for a TSI soon, the only thing holding me back is the DSG. Ironically that is also the thing that is the reason for me to consider buying it in the first place. However I tend to keep my cars for long and so long term reliability is sure paramount.

I have scoured the Internet to see if the DSG issues have been resolved, however I could not find anything concrete that points either ways. Although I do see that VW usually does a DSG swap on goodwill basis even if the warranty runs out.

That's okay, but I hate my car's being in the Garage except for their service, I don't want to burn a million rupees and then keep visiting the garage to coax and cajole the ASS to fix issues.

I would love to hear your experience with your 2013 TSI and why you sold it and even more what prompted you to go in for a new one now.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 16:14   #4439

Installed the OEM GTi armrest. Ordered from AliExpress and received in 4 days through Fedex. Paid $88 and INR.1030 for customs. Installation was a simple DIY and was surprised that I could simply twist and turn a bit and slide the armrest base without dismantling the console.Build quality is great and the fabric matches OEM seat covers.All in all a very essential accessory that ups the comfort of DSG and adds to aesthetic appeal.
A myth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 21:15   #4440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Hi Guys, I am a Second time GT owner, I Sold my First 2013 GT TSI this month and Now going for the 2017 GT TSI, Earlier I had a White now Booked the Carbon Steel
Congratulations on your second GT TSi. After driving the 1.2TSi + DSG combo it would be very difficult to find a replacement.

Regarding fitting Vento LED headlights on the Polo GT, it is very much possible. But I doubt if VW workshop would take this work.

The LED headlights require upgrading the BCM and wiring changes as well.

Just today I completed upgrading my GT TSi headlights to OEM Valeos BiXenons which required a BCM upgrade. This required a totally different wiring loom. This involved about 20 new wires to the BCM and lot of wiring changes to the fuse system. So, unless VW comes with a GT TSi model that comes fitted with LED headlights from factory, I doubt if you will be able to fit the Vento headlights to the Polo from the dealer.

Last edited by graaja : 9th March 2017 at 21:29.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks