Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 10:29   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
I think in most automatics you can shift from D to N, or R to N, without pressing the brake pedal or even the shift lock. However, I am not very sure if you can budge the gear liver from N to D or R, will have to check tomorrow morning and update. In my City and the Jetta and Passat that I have driven, I think you can shift from S to D without even disengaging the shift lock but not vice-versa.
In polo there is indicator on the instrument cluster if the brake pedal is not pressed or hand brake is not engaged. You cannot shift from P to any mode without pressing brake pedal. Once you are in D mode then you can shift to S or manual without pressing brakes.

I was to take delivery on 11th but got it yesterday itself as I doubted that the dealer was using my car as test drive vehicle. When I booked the car it was driven 36kms but yesterday it was 65kms.

Few things which I dont like, missing dead pedal and music system. Rest it is absolute joy to drive this car.
Old 8th May 2013, 16:09   #437
VEA
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Since we have a couple of GT owners here, Could someone post the real world fuel consumption figures here? Both the MID and tank to tank readings if you already have emptied a tank.
Old 8th May 2013, 16:19   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
I parked on the road side, moved the gearshift to P and got out to let my cousin drive it. When he tried to move it back by holding down the lock switch, the lever wouldn't budge, I tried couple of times as well, and then finally the driver who was with us during the TD had to use some strong-arm tactic to get it moving. Is this normal in a brand new car?
Can some autobox experts throw some light on this,please?

cheers,
D
I face that regularly when i park the car on say like a slope(uphill),when i want to engage R from P I definately have to put some effort(arm tactic in your words)

On a side note i hope you also used the hand brakes and P together before coming out to hand over the car to your cousin
Old 8th May 2013, 16:47   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
In polo there is indicator on the instrument cluster if the brake pedal is not pressed or hand brake is not engaged. You cannot shift from P to any mode without pressing brake pedal. Once you are in D mode then you can shift to S or manual without pressing brakes.

I was to take delivery on 11th but got it yesterday itself as I doubted that the dealer was using my car as test drive vehicle. When I booked the car it was driven 36kms but yesterday it was 65kms.

Few things which I dont like, missing dead pedal and music system. Rest it is absolute joy to drive this car.
Congrats drjanakpatel on your new car, Wishing you a happy ownership and great drives!
About your car being used as a TD vehicle, nowadays most dealers totally lack professional ethics. My cousin sister who bought a Nissan Sunny was in for a shock when she went for the car delivery. The engine bay was hot and the odo read 95km, the dealer claimed that the car was being brought from the yard and all ( There yard is less than 3kms from the showroom, PDI figure was 20km or so).
Please share some pictures and your initial experience with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
On a side note i hope you also used the hand brakes and P together before coming out to hand over the car to your cousin
Thanks Rajesh,
yes I did use the hand brake as we all normally do. But is there any specific importance to using a handbrake in an autobox? Also wanted to know one more thing, do you have to press down brake to engage P from say N?
please share your thoughts.

cheers,
D
Old 8th May 2013, 17:02   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
The answer is in your post.
GT stands for Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) and that epithet is usually reserved for cars that have exceptional performance - the top of the range.
In India this is the top of the range spec Polo in terms of both performance, engine & drive train. To be fair there isn't any car below 10 Lakh that provides power & torque figures close to this hatch. So in Indian terms this car is deserved to take the GT word along its model name.
Fair enough, but then by that yardstick I guess Honda can call their top-end City the 'City R-type.'
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:03   #441
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Rajesh,
yes I did use the hand brake as we all normally do. But is there any specific importance to using a handbrake in an autobox? Also wanted to know one more thing, do you have to press down brake to engage P from say N?
please share your thoughts.

cheers,
D
Handbrakes are supposed to be a better option to hold the weight of the car instead of the auto box doing that standalone ( will put stress on the box i guess)

As a pracitce i use both the handbrake as well as the P mode while parking be it flat land/uphill/downhill

So the mechanism used by me is press the brake pedal ,move the gear stick to P from N ,engage the handbrakes and move out of the car
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:09   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But is there any specific importance to using a handbrake in an autobox? Also wanted to know one more thing, do you have to press down brake to engage P from say N?

cheers,
D
About using handbrake in an autobox - while parking on a slope, the entire weight of the vehicle would be on the parking pawl. Thus it is advisable to use the hand brake/parking brake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl

About engaging brake to shift from N to P - You should press the brake, or otherwise there is always a danger of the car getting slotted in R and reversing to hit something.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:10   #443
Senior - BHPian

Got a response from VW on DSG. Confirms what somebody said:

Dear Mr. Parthasarathy,
Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars India!!
This bears reference to your following query regarding the Polo GT TSI.
We would like to inform you that the DSG gearbox is also covered under the 2 year warranty offered for the car.
Currently, the extended warranty for the Polo GT TSI is under process and will be released to the dealerships once details are finalized.
This is for your information please.
Warm Regards,
Customer Care
Sales
Volkswagen Passenger Cars, India
Old 8th May 2013, 17:28   #444
BHPian

I read lot of comments about the car's behavior on slope. Doesn't the 'hill hold control' (which is mentioned in the GT's specs) has something to do with that?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th May 2013 at 17:30.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:31   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Fair enough, but then by that yardstick I guess Honda can call their top-end City the 'City R-type.'
Well they could have if their top end city had more power and torque / drive train than the other versions of Honda city.
Honda city in India is with only one engine and options of either manual/auto gears.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:35   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
No they can't just call the top-end City a 'Type-R' because the top-end city does not make more horses and torques than say the cheapest corporate variant, which the Polo 'GT' TSI does!

Moreover it does not come with a different engine and gearbox than its cheaper siblings, which the Polo 'GT' TSI does!

And add to it, my common sense says that the 0-100 timing of the top end City might just be a few micro seconds slower than the base variant because of the added weight of all those extra features and additions like say a sunroof. And 0-100 timings for the Polo 'GT' TSI are for sure quicker than any regular Polo.

This Polo is by no means a hot hatch by international standards, but the Polo 'GT' TSI is probably the only car in our country at less than 10 lakh Rupees, which deserves a 'GT' (or 'Sports' in case of Suzuki, or 'R-line' in case of other VWs, or a 'vRS' badge in case of Skoda, or as you said a 'type R' in Honda's language!) kind of moniker.

Just my two cents! And I wish VW had given this country at least the real deal Polo GTI, forget the Golf GTI!
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 18:44   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post

Congrats on the car. Please remember to put the DSG into N when you come to a standstill for anything more than 10 seconds. Leaving it in D at a stop is one of the main ways to heat up a DSG and that leads to failures. 10 seconds may be a bit conservative, but you would rather be safe than sorry.

And as for your other question, on flat ground no need to use the handbrake, but on even a slight slope make sure to use it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 21:17   #448
BHPian

I was looking for a car for my wife, mostly if its AT, as she was eating into my share of Punto, Polo GT TSI has come at a great time, as I was almost done with i20 AT, but not any more, going for a test drive tomorrow, lets see how it works out. Wanted to know what should I lookout for as I have not driven a car with DSG before, neither my wife. Still not sure what will be the landing price in Bangalore thanks to tax, but keeping my fingures crossed at max 9.6L, else it will be very tight..
Old 8th May 2013, 21:28   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I was looking for a car for my wife, mostly if its AT, as she was eating into my share of Punto, Polo GT TSI has come at a great time, as I was almost done with i20 AT, but not any more, going for a test drive tomorrow, lets see how it works out. Wanted to know what should I lookout for as I have not driven a car with DSG before, neither my wife. Still not sure what will be the landing price in Bangalore thanks to tax, but keeping my fingures crossed at max 9.6L, else it will be very tight..
Compared to a conventional A/T like the i-20, DSGs tend to be jerky at low speed crawl (B2B traffic) so make sure you evaluate that and it is to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th May 2013 at 19:56.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 22:49   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Wanted to know what should I lookout for as I have not driven a car with DSG before, neither my wife. Still not sure what will be the landing price in Bangalore thanks to tax, but keeping my fingures crossed at max 9.6L, else it will be very tight..
Hi Asdon,
Compared to i20 AT, initial pickup is much better. Please do check out the rear legroom, if it matters that is, I found it a bit cramped.(driver's seat adjusted for me,I am 6 foot). Ofcourse, it misses out on few of the gizmos in i20.

As for the price, please find below post from Sandeepmohan.
Cheers,
D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
9.86lac on road in Bangalore for the Polo GT. Its pricey for sure but you get a missile in return. Some posts earlier, I was not sure what to make of the pricing. Some luxuries are missing which would have been nice to have and also make it a true GT. It now looks like this is what one has to pay today for a top technology hatchback and its not going to get any cheaper.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed