Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 21:22   #4486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
With a 28K price hike, they are getting very close to (or crossing) the 10L ex-showroom price in most states. Wouldn't that attract higher tax?
The GTs crossed the 10-Lakh line in this city some time back

Oh, sorry. I'm mixing up showroom and on-the-road. But if going out to buy, one had better have 11 lakh in the bank!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th April 2017 at 21:25.
Old 8th April 2017, 22:11   #4487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The GTs crossed the 10-Lakh line in this city some time back

Oh, sorry. I'm mixing up showroom and on-the-road. But if going out to buy, one had better have 11 lakh in the bank!

The on road Mumbai price for the 2017 GT is 10.85 lakhs.
Old 10th April 2017, 15:46   #4488
BHPian

I have been having my mind set on a GT TSI for some time. As I don't have 11 lakhs spare lying around in the bank and this car is purely for dalliance, I have been on the look out for a sparingly used GT TSI ,well maintained and not too old.

Managed a red 2015 Jan registered car which has done 16000 km , single owner driven GT TSI.

The car is in reasonably good shape, few stratches here and there from normal usage, a front bumper damage (not too well repaired), fog lamps not working.

Noted that some of the features in the present model were not offered back then. These features like Electrical ORVMs, cruise control etc are nice to have but I can perhaps live without.
The owner claims the car has not had a history of any major service issues.
Request advice from the knowledgeable forum here as to whether this car would be a good idea. I plan to keep the car for about 3 to 4 years in which time I would probably use it for 20 or 25000 km.
Old 10th April 2017, 16:41   #4489
Distinguished - BHPian

Have it checked by a trustworthy independent engineer.

Should have electric ORVMs? Adjustment, not folding.
Old 10th April 2017, 18:35   #4490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Managed a red 2015 Jan registered car which has done 16000 km , single owner driven GT TSI.

The car is in reasonably good shape, few stratches here and there from normal usage, a front bumper damage (not too well repaired), fog lamps not working.
VW standard warranty is 2 years, so the initial owner is selling the car just after the warranty has expired. I would not mind the few scratches here and there in India. But why are the fog lamps not working when for all this while the car was under warranty? I can tell you, all the new cars I have bought were perhaps in better condition after two years (because they were run-in smooth machines by then). I do not like the smell of a poorly-repaired front bumper and non-functioning fog lamps. These may be the signs of a poorly maintained car.

I am assuming, the first owner did not buy the extended warranty (presuming it was being offered in Jan 2015, I really don't know. All I know perhaps initially in 2013 it was not offered.). Can you now buy the extended warranty directly from VW? Would VW allow that at whatever price? This would also allow you to visit a VW service centre and get a report card on whether all maintenance were done etc.. I would hope you can get this information irrespective of whether you buy the extended warranty or not. I would strongly advise to get the extended warranty if VW wants to sell it to you on this car.
asitkde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:37   #4491
BHPian

Hi everyone. My GT TSI is steadily munching miles and is closing in on the 60k mark. So, the fourth service will be due shortly. I have two major things that needs to be done before the fourth service.

1. The cars battery is already 3 1/2 years old. My SA had told me that it had gone weak and might need replacement during the next service during the 45k service. Though i have no issues with the battery so far, thinking of replacing it as it has covered 60k kms. Is it the right time to change the batteries or can i flog it for some more time ? Also, recently few random issues have cropped up like flickering of parking LED and number plate lights, though the regular bulbs work fine and random malfunction of auto up and down, which gets rectified on its own. Are these related to a weak battery?

If it needs to be changed, is it advisable to go for after market brands like amaron as i have good experience with it in my bike. Also, the VW batteries are supposedly costlier.

2. As old timers might know, i switched over to michelin primacy 3 ST 195/60 R15 right out of show room. These tires have served me well for the 60k kms without a single puncture. I feel its time i change the rubber now.

Since i have only good experience with P3ST, should i stick to it ? The other option i'm thinking is to get 205/55 R15. Which brand in this size will closely match the silent and comfortable ride i had so far with the michelins ?

Suggestions are welcome. Thank you. Safe driving.
drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 22:33   #4492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi everyone. My GT TSI is steadily munching miles and is closing in on the 60k mark. So, the fourth service will be due shortly. I have two major things that needs to be done before the fourth service.

1. The cars battery is already 3 1/2 years old. My SA had told me that it had gone weak and might need replacement during the next service during the 45k service. Though i have no issues with the battery so far, thinking of replacing it as it has covered 60k kms. Is it the right time to change the batteries or can i flog it for some more time ? Also, recently few random issues have cropped up like flickering of parking LED and number plate lights, though the regular bulbs work fine and random malfunction of auto up and down, which gets rectified on its own. Are these related to a weak battery?

If it needs to be changed, is it advisable to go for after market brands like amaron as i have good experience with it in my bike. Also, the VW batteries are supposedly costlier.

2. As old timers might know, i switched over to michelin primacy 3 ST 195/60 R15 right out of show room. These tires have served me well for the 60k kms without a single puncture. I feel its time i change the rubber now.

Since i have only good experience with P3ST, should i stick to it ? The other option i'm thinking is to get 205/55 R15. Which brand in this size will closely match the silent and comfortable ride i had so far with the michelins ?

Suggestions are welcome. Thank you. Safe driving.
Nice to hear that your car is nearing 60K without any issues

1. If you have started seeing symptoms like flickering lights, misbehaving electronics etc., it is quite possible that the battery has very little life left. It would be a good pro-active measure to change it. My suggestion would be to go with Amaron.

2. In 205/55/R15, if you need comfort oriented tires, then go for Continental MC5s. These tires offer a great balance between comfort and grip.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 23:41   #4493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
... Continental MC5s. These tires offer a great balance between comfort and grip.
Very much agree. To comfort & grip, let me also add silence, these tyres are very silent as well. Currently both my cars (2012 Honda City, 2017 VW Polo GT TSI) are on Conti MC5, about 3 months in the Honda and just over a month in the GT TSI. Previous tyres used on the Honda and now-sold Getz were Michelin XM1, and Yokohama A Drives. Hence my comparisons are with respect to these tyres.

My GT TSI came with 195/55/R16 Goodyear Assurance tyres. I drove on them for less than a day, and hence the comparison is not fair. In addition, as you may know, tyres take about 500 kms to run in completely. However, as I changed over to the Contis, the feel of the car really changed for the better in all aspects. The comfort, grip and lack of road noise was almost immediately noticeable.

People who have used these for longer can comment on the longevity of the Continentals.
asitkde is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 10:45   #4494
BHPian

Hello to all my GT TSI friends.
This is my first post in the BHP forum.The Moderators approved my membership yesterday and a big thank you to the Mods. I bought the Polo TSI(carbon steel grey) 3 weeks back and am truly smitten by its brilliance,road manners, safety and comfort levels. This thread assisted me in researching multiple facets about the TSI and taking an informed decision.

Having graduated from a Polo petrol Highline, which I drove for 4 years and loved it, I was conversant with most of its features. But what is elevating is that the TSI engine coupled with the DSG has breathed soul and substance to the vehicle. That was good enough reason to own the car. As I get along to know more about the TSI. it would be my endeavour to provide a senior citizens perspective ( I'm 72 years old) of the TSI experience. Having sung so many praises of the GT TSI, let me also say that there are negatives as well which can be truly exasperating and annoying. More of these in my subsequent posts.

Thank you for your patience.
vkr15 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:06   #4495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post

I would advice you to change the battery asap( if not already done)

Faced similar situation and procrastinated only to realize being stranded in middle of nowhere ( and the rant from the angry wife)

Had to get it jump started. Replaced to Amaron ( got a 1k discount for old battery as buy back)
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:15   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In 205/55/R15, if you need comfort oriented tires, then go for Continental MC5s. These tires offer a great balance between comfort and grip.
I second that completely. The Continetal MC5 are easily among the very best tyres i've ever used. They are very silent and possess a supple pliant ride with extremely good grip levels and have a very predictable behavior under heavy braking.

I've used the MC5 in 205-55-15 on stock GT TSi alloy wheels as soon as i took delivery of the car. And it was immediately apparent that these tyres are a huge step up in overall terms over the stock apollo alnac which the car came shod with originally. I was very satisfied with them.

Always had the itch of upsizing to bigger alloys + tyres and did the same last week when i swapped to 16" Momo Quantum Alloy Wheels and again went in for MC5 rubber, this time in 195-55-16, which apparently is now the stock rubber size on the current GT vehicles sold by VW.

To my amazement, even after the upsize to 16" and with a marginal reduction in sidewall height, the ride quality is just as good as before and i couldnt be happier with the swap

Some pics for reference of the said tyres on my car in 15" spec and later in 16".

Hope it helps.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160219_174622.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160219_174726.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170401_161757.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170330_141657.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170402_063810.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 11th April 2017 at 16:21.
prince85 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:29   #4497
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum vkr15.
I for one would be very interested in reading your take on the rear seat ride of the Gt TSi, in terms of space, elbow room, leg & knee room, and the ride quality over less than perfect road surfaces (current sate of Dilli roads). My Father refuses to drive a manual in the bumper to bumper traffic and is not comfortable driving my Jetta AT given it's size. My parent's Swift zxi is due for replacement and them being a shade older than yourself, your inputs would be the best feedback that one could ask for. I am specifically requesting for the rear seat experience as my parents are increasingly becoming dependent on the driver and the car would be self driven, maybe 20% of the time or even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Hello to all my GT TSI friends.
This is my first post in the BHP forum.The Moderators approved my membership yesterday and a big thank you to the Mods. I bought the Polo TSI(carbon steel grey) 3 weeks back and am truly smitten by its brilliance,road manners, safety and comfort levels. This thread assisted me in researching multiple facets about the TSI and taking an informed decision.

Having graduated from a Polo petrol Highline, which I drove for 4 years and loved it, I was conversant with most of its features. But what is elevating is that the TSI engine coupled with the DSG has breathed soul and substance to the vehicle. That was good enough reason to own the car. As I get along to know more about the TSI. it would be my endeavour to provide a senior citizens perspective ( I'm 72 years old) of the TSI experience. Having sung so many praises of the GT TSI, let me also say that there are negatives as well which can be truly exasperating and annoying. More of these in my subsequent posts.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 11th April 2017, 16:32   #4498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Welcome to the forum vkr15.
I for one would be very interested in reading your take on the rear seat ride of the Gt TSi, in terms of space, elbow room, leg & knee room, and the ride quality over less than perfect road surfaces (current sate of Dilli roads). My Father refuses to drive a manual in the bumper to bumper traffic and is not comfortable driving my Jetta AT given it's size. My parent's Swift zxi is due for replacement and them being a shade older than yourself, your inputs would be the best feedback that one could ask for. I am specifically requesting for the rear seat experience as my parents are increasingly becoming dependent on the driver and the car would be self driven, maybe 20% of the time or even less.
There is virtually no leg/knee room at the rear. I would not recommend a polo for rear seat passengers. You are better off getting a baleno or Jazz.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:42   #4499
Senior - BHPian

Hi Princeton, Your pictures gave me a feeling of Dejavu. In my minds eye I can picture my Cedia and the TJet+ occupying the same spot in your parking lot.

The TSi looks great in the Momo livery, the right wheels & rubber can raise the stance of a car to a whole new level as in your case. I hope that you share the snaps of the various other updates you have carried out on your ride for the visual pleasure of all members.

Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
.......Always had the itch of upsizing to bigger alloys + tyres and did the same last week when i swapped to 16" Momo Quantum Alloy Wheels and again went in for MC5 rubber, this time in 195-55-16, which apparently is now the stock rubber size on the current GT vehicles sold by VW.
Cheers
Thank you for your inputs, much appreciated. My Father rejected the Jazz outright as the A pillar hinders his line of sight especially the peripheral vision while driving and he found the engine to be lack lustre. The Baleno he did not like in terms of the interiors. He found them to be several rungs below his current ride. The only car he did like was the Figo AT and that had everything to do with the 1.5 liter engine and the quick DCT gearbox, however he found the rear seat ride a bit bumpy and did not like the fact that the rear headrests were fixed and not adjustable. Based on the Jetta experience he wants to take a look at the Polo and is waiting for me to arrange a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
There is virtually no leg/knee room at the rear. I would not recommend a polo for rear seat passengers. You are better off getting a baleno or Jazz.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th April 2017 at 17:40. Reason: Merged consecutive posts. Kindly use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting your first post. Thanks :)
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 18:11   #4500
BHPian

Hi khoj,
Thank you for the welcome.
In the absence of knowledge about detailed medical condition such as eyesight issues, back problems and the slowing down of reflexes in advanced age please treat my views as indicative only. The Polo, whether TSI or the one with the NA engine, in my view, is a drivers car. To that extent, I second the opinion of reignofchaos . Comfort levels on the rear bench are just about adequate, again depending upon the height of the passengers. Anybody above 5 ft 9 in would be shifting and squirming even if it is just a half hour journey. There would be only marginal differences in the bumps and jerks one receives due poorly maintained road conditions when compared to the Jazz or Baleno. I hasten to add that I have personally never sat on the rear bench of these cars so please interpret accordingly.
My recommendation: let your Dad take a longish TD on the Polo and ascertain his comfort levels, both in the drivers seat as well as the rear bench and then take the decision. I'm also reminded of an oft quoted Urdu couplet about oldies like me but I won't quote it here lest the Mods take umbrage to it. Some other time, maybe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks