Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 21:02   #4501
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

2. In 205/55/R15, if you need comfort oriented tires, then go for Continental MC5s. These tires offer a great balance between comfort and grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Very much agree. To comfort & grip, let me also add silence, these tyres are very silent as well. Currently both my cars (2012 Honda City, 2017 VW Polo GT TSI) are on Conti MC5, about 3 months in the Honda and just over a month in the GT TSI. Previous tyres used on the Honda and now-sold Getz were Michelin XM1, and Yokohama A Drives. Hence my comparisons are with respect to these tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I second that completely. The Continetal MC5 are easily among the very best tyres i've ever used. They are very silent and possess a supple pliant ride with extremely good grip levels and have a very predictable behavior under heavy braking.

I've used the MC5 in 205-55-15 on stock GT TSi alloy wheels as soon as i took delivery of the car. And it was immediately apparent that these tyres are a huge step up in overall terms over the stock apollo alnac which the car came shod with originally. I was very satisfied with them.
Thanks guys. I have a follow up question. What's the difference between conti premiumcontact PC5 and MC5's ? Also read that conti have released the CPC6 tires and they have received excellent feedback from international reviewers. Has anyone got experience with it.

Also, during the first swap, i didn't change the tires of the spare which is still apollo. Since i didn't face any need for the spare, it lies unused for the entire duration. Now, is it safe to keep the spare tire unchanged ? I have to say, i dont get much time to do periodic wheel rotation, so changing the spare rubber doesn't make sense. Your guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:04   #4502
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course, there are smaller, but the Polo is still a small hatchback. We have to be realistic about our needs and wishes. For couples, and those with one or two younger children, there is plenty of room. There is room for one long-legged adult (I regularly give a lift to one) behind the passenger seat --- but I would not like to sit behind myself as driver. I don't leave much knee space behind me.

So, for the children, fine. For the parents, maybe not.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:53   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
What's the difference between conti premiumcontact PC5 and MC5's ? Also read that conti have released the CPC6 tires and they have received excellent feedback from international reviewers. Has anyone got experience with it.
AFAIK MC5 is more performance-oriented than PC5. I think, they are discussed in the tyre section of our forum. Kindly have a look.

CPC6 is just released in the international market months ago and is a combination of comfort and supreme performance. The reviews I have seen are superlative. But I am not sure when they will be available here in India. Continentals are now made in India in the acquired Modi factory in Gujarat. I think, the CPC6, if and when they will be marketed in India, will be made in India. BTW, CPC6 are made in sizes 16" and up, not in 15" (the stock size of the GT TSI until the recent upgrade). Kindly browse the net, and you will get all the required information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Also, during the first swap, i didn't change the tires of the spare which is still apollo. Since i didn't face any need for the spare, it lies unused for the entire duration. Now, is it safe to keep the spare tire unchanged ? I have to say, i dont get much time to do periodic wheel rotation, so changing the spare rubber doesn't make sense. Your guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
With time the tyre rubber gets hard and is not recommended for use beyond a point. Hence the spare, even if it's left unused, will be unusable after a number of years. The GT TSI spares are space saver tyres with smaller rims. Even mine has 14" spare wheels, and when I changed my stock 4 tyres (16") to Conti, I didn't do anything to the spare. Every now and then, I wander what to do with the spare? Same size spare even on steel wheels would make me much happier. Guys, kindly share your ideas.

Last edited by asitkde : 11th April 2017 at 22:21.
Old 11th April 2017, 23:34   #4504
BHPian

Hi everyone

Took delivery of my white Polo GT TSI on 6/04/2017. Clocked 460+ km, I am happy with the car, especially the refinement. I haven't really pushed her, restricting the revs to 3000 rpm until the run-in period. Upgraded goodyear assurance triplemax tyres to Continental MC5's on the second day of ownership.

Initial impressions:

1) It doesn't have outright power, but feels sufficiently powerful. Love how the engine feels.

2) Road manners are pretty decent. Didn't experience much bobbing while encountering medium speed undulations.

3) D mode actually feels like eco mode. It is very hesitant to downshift when asked for. The engine tries to make the best use of available torque instead of downshifting. A middle path between D and S would have been great.

4) Coming to the clutch engagement and disengagement, I feel the gearbox is tuned conservatively when compared to the DQ250. In my Superb, the revs catch up immediately after an upshift. While in the polo, it takes a little longer for the revs to catch up.

5) Lovely all black interiors. The steering wheel could have been even better if the thumb grip was placed lower and the wheel was beefier.

6) Driver's side door started squeaking on day one. Thanks to d_himan, the 1/4" pipe sorted out 90% of the issue. Otherwise, it is a very peaceful cabin.

7) I haven't resorted to sudden braking yet, the brakes could have been sharper.

I have two issues. Inputs from current GT TSI owners would be of great help

1) Is the idle completely vibe free? I experience very mild vibrations at idle.

2) At times, the front dampers can be heard working (especially the right damper). Occassionally a faint whistle is heard from the glovebox region when the turbo spools. I am pretty sure the turbo spool can't be this loud. But couldn't figure out what is causing this sound.

That's it for now, will update once I clock more miles.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_5600.jpg
Haven't clicked many pictures. Here she is, waiting for her new shoes.

Last edited by csr9 : 11th April 2017 at 23:40.
csr9 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 00:09   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK MC5 is more performance-oriented than PC5.
I think, I have confused Conti ComfortContact5 (CC5) with PC5. Are the PC5s available in India? Any way, the rest of my post appears correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Took delivery of my white Polo GT TSI on 6/04/2017.
Congratulations.

Quote:
Driver's side door started squeaking on day one. Thanks to d_himan, the 1/4" pipe sorted out 90% of the issue.
Would you kindly give me the link where this 1/4" pipe thing is being talked about? I may have (occasionally) a very slight noise coming from the region of the door just near to my right ear. Very slight noise though, otherwise the car is really really quiet.

Quote:
1) Is the idle completely vibe free? I experience very mild vibrations at idle.
The car at idle is vibration-free for the warm engine. However, the car is idling at 900 rpm. Is that a bit high? This is with AC on.

Quote:
2) At times, the front dampers can be heard working (especially the right damper). Occassionally a faint whistle is heard from the glovebox region when the turbo spools. I am pretty sure the turbo spool can't be this loud. But couldn't figure out what is causing this sound.
No such sounds in my car though. The only slightly unpleasant sound I hear is when I put the ignition on in the morning with an absolutely cold engine, that is just for the initial 15 -20 seconds. I guess, this has to do with the turbo (never owned a turbo engined car before). But that sound soon settles into a nice low hum.
Old 12th April 2017, 02:19   #4506
BHPian

Quote:
Would you kindly give me the link where this 1/4" pipe thing is being talked about? I may have (occasionally) a very slight noise coming from the region of the door just near to my right ear. Very slight noise though, otherwise the car is really really quiet.
This is the post you need to read up.

d_himans DIY solved my problem
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 08:19   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Princeton, Your pictures gave me a feeling of Dejavu. In my minds eye I can picture my Cedia and the TJet+ occupying the same spot in your parking lot.
Oh yes Taruun Sir, those were fun days ICE'ing your cars, especially the TJET+ build was epic

Quote:
The TSi looks great in the Momo livery, the right wheels & rubber can raise the stance of a car to a whole new level as in your case.
Going in for the brand Momo in Alloy Wheels was a bit of a no-brainer for me. Firstly, because its one of the very few internationally respected top end brands of alloy wheels which are sold officially in India in large numbers. So support in the future wrt. a replacement wheel or two incase of damage should not be much of a problem.
Secondly, its very well priced compared to its direct international rivals eg. Enkei and OZ (both of which are insanely priced for some reason here in India).
Momo also seems to be among the very few brands that sell you a car specific Hub Ring Adapter along with each set of Alloy Wheels for the OEM spec fit for almost any car sold in our market (rather than you having to custom make one or order one from foreign vendors as per your requirement). In this case, the stock Hub Bore Dia. for the GT TSi is 57.1mm and for the Momo Wheel in question, the same was 72.3mm. With the supplied Momo adapter as per the car in question, this variance was taken care of and the fit and specs of the new wheels thereby are as good as OEM alloy wheels
Also i hate those Multi PCD alloy wheels, i prefer a perfect 5 hole design for the car and thats what i got.
And Finally the finish, Matte Anthracite! I love it to bits, totally stands out in the crowd of silver and black wheels out there.

Also the edge of wheel look and stance provided by the wider 16 x 7J rims has transformed the stance big time.

Quote:
I hope that you share the snaps of the various other updates you have carried out on your ride for the visual pleasure of all members.
Would love to share them soon enough. Here is a small mod i carried on the other day, swapped the boring stock roof lamp in the car to one which came in the Passat B6. This unit has red back-lit buttons with a soft touch feel and finish along with a three pod indivisual lighting assembly for indivisual operation by either occupants on the front seat. Its also got this nice subtle warm ambient twin glow light led/ sky light that throws a subtle red glow onto the DSG gear lever. The whole unit is a perfect fit for the GT and matches the shade of the headliner perfectly too. Me likey

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170226_170115.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170226_170143.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170302_093933.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170302_093939.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170302_094005.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170226_223926.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20170226_223944.jpg

Hope you guys like it

Cheers

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th April 2017 at 15:52.
prince85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 08:38   #4508
BHPian

@csr9
Congratulations on your new acquisition.
Just one quick question- when I crank the engine the revs go to 1100 rpm and remain there for 10 to 15 secs; thereafter it falls to 850 rpm. Have you also experienced the same? Have not felt any vibrations though. And its a quiet cabin.
Old 12th April 2017, 09:27   #4509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
@csr9
Just one quick question- when I crank the engine the revs go to 1100 rpm and remain there for 10 to 15 secs; thereafter it falls to 850 rpm. Have you also experienced the same? Have not felt any vibrations though. And its a quiet cabin.
It's normal for the first crank every morning. Any cranks after that, the idle RPM stays around 800. It's normal during a cold start; nothing to worry. It is necessary to get the engine warmed up. Lower the temperature, longer the engine will stay at 1100rpm. During that high RPM duration, I normally don't move the car.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 09:51   #4510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Here is a small mod i carried on the other day, swapped the boring stock roof lamp in the car to one which came in the Passat B6. This unit has red back-lit buttons with a soft touch feel and finish along with a three pod individual lighting assembly for individual operation by either occupants on the front seat. Its also got this nice subtle warm ambient twin glow light led/ sky light that throws a subtle red glow onto the DSG gear lever. The whole unit is a perfect fit for the GT and matches the shade of the headliner perfectly too.
Looks Awesome

I have been looking for the same cabin light assembly as well. However, the few AliExpress listings for this model do not have Grey color - only biege and brown. Can you share the link from where you got this?

Can you also share some more details?

1. Where did you tap the supply for the backlight for the buttons?
2. I understand this one has a 6 pin connector, whereas the OE one has a 3 pin connector. How did you make this connection? Did you use any adapter wiring harness?

Last edited by graaja : 12th April 2017 at 10:20.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 11:48   #4511
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
I faced a similar issues. Here is the link. This should solve the door rattles/squeaks.

Quote:
The car at idle is vibration-free for the warm engine. However, the car is idling at 900 rpm. Is that a bit high? This is with AC on.
The idle rpm seems normal to me.

Quote:
No such sounds in my car though. The only slightly unpleasant sound I hear is when I put the ignition on in the morning with an absolutely cold engine, that is just for the initial 15 -20 seconds. I guess, this has to do with the turbo (never owned a turbo engined car before). But that sound soon settles into a nice low hum.
Nothing to worry about. As this is a direct injection motor with higher injection pressure, you do hear the clatter. Nothing to do with the turbo. As you rightly said, the engine produces a sweet hum at lower revs when fully warm.

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Yes I experience something similar. As explained by hemant.anand, it is normal. The engine holds on to higher revs during a cold start to get to operating temperature quickly. I drive with care until the temperature reaches 90 degrees on MID.

On a side note, I recommend using the quote feature while quoting someone as it notifies the quoted user.
csr9 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 12:59   #4512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for your inputs, much appreciated. My Father rejected the Jazz outright as the A pillar hinders his line of sight especially the peripheral vision while driving and he found the engine to be lack lustre. The Baleno he did not like in terms of the interiors. He found them to be several rungs below his current ride. The only car he did like was the Figo AT and that had everything to do with the 1.5 liter engine and the quick DCT gearbox, however he found the rear seat ride a bit bumpy and did not like the fact that the rear headrests were fixed and not adjustable. Based on the Jetta experience he wants to take a look at the Polo and is waiting for me to arrange a test drive.
Polo's rear seat legroom is poor, but the good news is front seat travel range is very long. So if no one is occupying the front passenger seat you can push the seat all the way up and that liberates good amount of legroom. Rear seats itself are not that supportive but not that bad either and should be at par for the class. Ride is supple and the car can handle all kinds of bad roads without a fuss. NVH is well controlled and decent quality interiors make it a nice place to be in.
Old 12th April 2017, 14:32   #4513
BHPian

Quote:
VW standard warranty is 2 years, so the initial owner is selling the car just after the warranty has expired. I would not mind the few scratches here and there in India. But why are the fog lamps not working when for all this while the car was under warranty?
======
Can you now buy the extended warranty directly from VW? Would VW allow that at whatever price? This would also allow you to visit a VW service centre and get a report card on whether all maintenance were done etc.. I would hope you can get this information irrespective of whether you buy the extended warranty or not. I would strongly advise to get the extended warranty if VW wants to sell it to you on this car.
Thanks asitkde for the sound advice. I do want a GT TSI pretty badly so I should stop salivating and inspect the car properly before making a decision. However, to be honest, the seller came through as a pretty frank fellow but not a car buff at all (wonder how such a guy bought a GT TSI!). I also like the fact that the car has notched up pretty less mileage on the clock. Also, the car has been recently serviced (18k) & the insurance has been renewed. What I did not like is that the doors seemed to close with a metallic sound rather than a warm thump that a car of pedigree would - but this is a reflection on VW not of the seller. I offered him 6.4 L but he is standing firm at 7L .
Meanwhile the search continues.......

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th April 2017, 17:20   #4514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's normal for the first crank every morning. Any cranks after that, the idle RPM stays around 800. It's normal during a cold start; nothing to worry. It is necessary to get the engine warmed up. Lower the temperature, longer the engine will stay at 1100rpm. During that high RPM duration, I normally don't move the car.
Thanks for the clarification. Other than early mornings even when the car has been parked for a long time , the revs go upto 1100 rpm but very quickly( couple of secs) revert back to around 850.
Old 12th April 2017, 19:05   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Looks Awesome

I have been looking for the same cabin light assembly as well. However, the few AliExpress listings for this model do not have Grey color - only biege and brown. Can you share the link from where you got this?
I got the grey cabin light assembly including the necessary connecting adapter cable from AVS Tuning.

Quote:
Where did you tap the supply for the backlight for the buttons?
The connection to the backlight as well as the ambient leds was taken from behind the headlight switch connector, I have an auto headlight module installed. My installer drew the connection for the said roof light backlighting from one of the pins located behind the Headlight Operating switch. No wires were tapped into or spliced. The backlighting/leds come to life everytime the parking lights go on.

Quote:
I understand this one has a 6 pin connector, whereas the OE one has a 3 pin connector. How did you make this connection? Did you use any adapter wiring harness?
Thats right, AVS tuning got me the Roof Lamp assembly along with the adapter cable which made this whole install a complete socket to socket one. Only the backlighting/ambient led wire was powered as explained earlier in this post.

Haven't taken the pic of the actual adapter which i used for this install, but here is a pic for reference. Looks almost the same as what i used.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-sl225.jpg

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 12th April 2017 at 19:14.
prince85 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks