Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 18:08   #4636
BHPian

VW Polo & Vento brake pads: Type 1 vs Type 2: TVS-Brakes-India vs ATE: Part diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. That could be true. Maybe the pads would have lasted long with Brembo rotors.
As I had mentioned in my previous post, if the rotors aren't capable of absorbing and dissipating the heat at required rates, no matter how capable the pads are (Brembo or Tarox or EBC), they will wear out faster than normal, and provide less than ideal braking performance.

Quote:
So I have the following options: Go for Brembo red pads again, Brembo black pads which are metallic which provide better braking, but could wear out the rotors faster than the red pads, or there is a new option EBC ultimax pads. Reading reviews, the ultimax pads are OE replacement pads which are better than the OE pads.
If you can source those EBC ultimax pads, great. Either way, assuming you are getting genuine brembo stuff itself, go for the brembo red pads itself over the OE ones from VW ASC. With the budget you are investing into Tarox rotors, another set of those type-2 brembo pads (P 85121) is worth the investment. OE part number of these pads is 6RU698151A.

If you are cross referencing between various brands like ATE/EBC/Brembo/Tarox etc, it is good to have the OE part numbers in handy. Just dug up the below information, I think it will be useful for you.

Assembly diagram for 256mm rotor setup by TVS-Brakes India - PR code: 1ZE. I believe this is referred to as Type-2 setup by the brembo distributor. OE brake pad part number: 6RU698151A. (Maybe you can confirm the same if you have previously replaced it at the VW ASC)

Assembly diagram for 256mm rotor setup by ATE - PR code: 1ZG. OE brake pad part number: 6R0698151A. I believe this is being referred to as Type 1, which was present in the earlier generation of Polo/Vento in India and continues to be used abroad.

As you will notice, the title itself warns for the mixed use of components. Also comparing between the part diagrams, you will notice that disc rotors (VW part numbers, perhaps vendors differ based on market) are same, however the calipers and pads are different. Also explains why there are no type 1 vs type 2 rotors, but only in the case of brake pads.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 07:43   #4637
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

If you are cross referencing between various brands like ATE/EBC/Brembo/Tarox etc, it is good to have the OE part numbers in handy. Just dug up the below information, I think it will be useful for you.

Assembly diagram for 256mm rotor setup by TVS-Brakes India - PR code: 1ZE. I believe this is referred to as Type-2 setup by the brembo distributor. OE brake pad part number: 6RU698151A. (Maybe you can confirm the same if you have previously replaced it at the VW ASC)

Assembly diagram for 256mm rotor setup by ATE - PR code: 1ZG. OE brake pad part number: 6R0698151A. I believe this is being referred to as Type 1, which was present in the earlier generation of Polo/Vento in India and continues to be used abroad.

As you will notice, the title itself warns for the mixed use of components. Also comparing between the part diagrams, you will notice that disc rotors (VW part numbers, perhaps vendors differ based on market) are same, however the calipers and pads are different. Also explains why there are no type 1 vs type 2 rotors, but only in the case of brake pads.
Thanks for providing the information. As I had changed to Brembo red pads just 2000 kilometers of the OE pads life, I had retained the OE pads. The following are the part numbers of the OE pads.

Outer - 6RF 615 115D
Inner - 6RF 615 109D

I tried searching for these part numbers in the VW OEM parts website, but the website returned an error that these parts could not be found.

A search for brake pads like Tarox or EBC with this part number also does not return any results.

Looks like TVS is definitely making lots of money because of this unique part number as other manufacturers (except Brembo and EBC with their Ultimax pads) have not taken interest in the India market for this type-2 pads.

Interestingly, the TVS pads also have made their way into the Russian Polos.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/5618585/

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

If you can source those EBC ultimax pads, great. Either way, assuming you are getting genuine brembo stuff itself, go for the brembo red pads itself over the OE ones from VW ASC. With the budget you are investing into Tarox rotors, another set of those type-2 brembo pads (P 85121) is worth the investment. OE part number of these pads is 6RU698151A.
I totally agree with your recommendation. I do not want to pair the OE pads with Tarox rotors.

EBC has type-2 pads in their Ultimax range. Ultimax is OE replacement spec made by EBC. Costs around 5K. I read lots of reviews online on Ultimax (not for the Polo though), and many have pointed out that it is worse than the OE pads. The EBC dealer mentioned that though these reviews could be true for Euro spec OE pads, the Ultimax would definitely be better than the Indian spec TVS pads.

There is also Brembo black pads. From the conversation I had with a brake components dealer, I understand that the black pads are semi-metalic which result in better braking, but could wear out the rotors more than the red pads.

I have to choose between Brembo red pads, Brembo black pads and EBC ultimax pads. As you have better experience with the Brembo red pads paird with the Brembo rotors, I may go with the Brembo reds.

One thing is sure though - I think I am going to lose half my hair before I get these brakes sorted out
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 08:26   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Also I just noticed that your front roof light cluster is pretty neat. Is this the standard fitment on Polo or did you upgrade it. I just bought a Polo GT and it has a plain looking single lamp roof light.
The roof light assembly is from an older generation Passat. I've even documented the said install earlier in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-review-9.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Found this address from Google

Address: Shop No. 9, Anu Building, Near Milan Cinema, Milan Subway Road, Santacruz West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400054

Phone: 022 2615 1897

I guess its the same one?
Its indeed the same store

In other news, some further updates coming up. I'll let the pics do the talking

MK7 RLine Paddle Shift Steering Wheel

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_174958.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_175205.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_175312.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_180941.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_181012.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_190252.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_190314.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_190417.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_190442.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20160226_190644.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 1st May 2017 at 08:34.
prince85 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 15:45   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The following are the part numbers of the OE pads.

Outer - 6RF 615 115D
Inner - 6RF 615 109D

I tried searching for these part numbers in the VW OEM parts website, but the website returned an error that these parts could not be found.
The number imprinted physically on the pads might be used for internal purchasing or between VW and the vendor (here TVS-Brakes India). For the customer, from VW ASC, brake pads can be ordered only as a set, and thus would have different part number too. Also explains why you don't see any results while searching with the above numbers for individual pads.

Quote:
Looks like TVS is definitely making lots of money because of this unique part number as other manufacturers (except Brembo and EBC with their Ultimax pads) have not taken interest in the India market for this type-2 pads.
I will try to find the older bills of our car and see the brake pad part numbers (I am not sure whether I'll be able to, VW also needs that nice service app like Skoda ). I believe it should be 6RU698151A, someone else who has changed pads from ASC for their Polo can confirm.

In respective catalogues of brembo/ebc/tarox/ferodo etc, try to use the VW part number 6RU698151A for cross referencing and find the respective vendor part number.

Quote:
Interestingly, the TVS pads also have made their way into the Russian Polos.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/5618585/
It should have made into Polo/Polo sedan that are sold in markets like South Africa, Mexico etc also.

Quote:
The EBC dealer mentioned that though these reviews could be true for Euro spec OE pads, the Ultimax would definitely be better than the Indian spec TVS pads.
Yes, it is true that better or worse is always with reference to OE pads for the particular market. For example, the pads in your Jetta or our Laura would be as good as most of the OE replacement pads like Brembo reds etc.

Quote:
There is also Brembo black pads. From the conversation I had with a brake components dealer, I understand that the black pads are semi-metalic which result in better braking, but could wear out the rotors more than the red pads.
Better braking with better friction, higher heat, rotors will wear out faster. Holds true for all performance pads. Objective would then be to withstand higher temperatures without inducing brake fade / glazing of surfaces, longevity becomes secondary, and often brake bite at colder temperatures also.
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 01:30   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Off late I have observed that when I press the accelerator, the car makes a screeching noise for 5-10 seconds then it disappears. This happens when the car has been driven for at-least 30 mins in stop-go traffic. Strangely it does not happen when the car is on a downward slope. Its only on ascends and flat roads. Anyone faced this and if, a diagnosis experience would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
Hi cedricsg,

I own a GT TSI since last 1.5 years and 13xxx kms. I have frequently observed this problem ever since I moved to Mumbai. My daily commute makes me drive around 12 kms in Stop-Go traffic on the WEH.

After around 30 mins of constant stop-go (where I assume the drivetrain heats up), There is a screeching noise in D1 when moving from a standstill. I believe this is a problem with the Clutch pack, where the clutch for the Odd gears (1,3,5,7) is worn out/problematic.

After maybe an hour of stop-go, there is a small screech even in the D2-D3 transition, which confirms my belief about the Odd Clutch pack gone bad.

Could not go to VW ASS yet, but plan to go in 2017, with around 7 months of factory warranty left. The biggest challenge I foresee is reproducing the issue, apart from the usual VAG group stories I am now used to. *Fingers Crossed*
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
I've been experiencing a similar problem for quite some time now. Never had the chance to recreate this for the VW A.S.S. Please do let me know if any of you are able to figure out what the issue is. I've also noticed that high external temperatures (afternoons, summer time) also have a similar effect

Thanks
A quick update for all Bhpians who face a similar issue with the DQ200 DSG as above.

Was waiting for some time off from work to give the car to VW for the above issue. Yes, prolonged stop-go, high external temperatures and upward slopes do, indeed aggravate the screech.

So gave the car to VW Mumbai West, with 2 months of Factory warranty left. Went for a trial in the hot afternoon, and was successfully able to replicate the issue with the technician who immediately diagnosed it as a Multiclutch issue, said it would need replacement. This was exactly as I suspected, and was hoping for the same.

Sequence of events which followed:

1. Left the car for a day. SA confirms multi clutch replacement required. Will file a warranty claim.

2. SA calls next day, says will order parts, I should collect the car and get it back when parts are ready.

3. Before I could pick up the car, says he's getting the consignment in a day, and will get it done the next day.

4. After receiving the part, there was some pressure plate checking they had to do, which the part apparently failed, so re-ordered another set of parts.

5. Car sits at VW for 2 more days, waiting for the part. Fortunately, this time, the part arrives in OK condition. Will be fitted to my car. I ask for pictures and part numbers.

6. Job done on car. Video recorded of the condition, entire gearbox removed, new and old parts and shown to me on delivery. The old clutch plate had worn out around the edges, somewhat unevenly.

7. I go to collect the car. SA shows me all the job card details. They had to dismantle the front bumper, suspensions and wheels to get to the DSG. Wheels aligned and balanced as a part of the process.

8. I take the car for a spin in the afternoon heat. Drive around for a while, take it to inclines, stop-go traffic. Drive for around 30 mins. All to my satisfaction. Take delivery of the car.

9. Drive the car to SoBo and back to the 'Burbs the same day in peak evening traffic. The conditions which would have made the DSG screech in D1, seems all normal and silent. All shift points also seem smooth and noiseless.

10. Rate the VW ASS a solid 5 stars in their feedback call. Transparent communication, siding with the customer and a reasonable time (For a critical part) to get the car back on the road.

Apologies for the long post, just hope this can be of help to people who are facing similar issues with the DQ200.

Cheers,
Sid.

P.S.: Total warranty claim amount by the dealer from VW was around 76k. I called the SA the same day and sheepishly handed him a cheque of 16k for a +2 years Extended Warranty. I have a copy of the invoice with the details of the parts replaced, will upload it in case anyone needs it.
sidparekh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 09:07   #4641
BHPian

Hey Prince,

You have some pretty dope upgrades there. I was looking for Kagu Maxspider 3D Mats for my Vento TSI as well. Can you tell me if there is a proper cutout for the dead pedal? Some close-up pics of the driver side mat would definitely help me decide whether I should go for it or not?

I also wanted to know how are you going to carry out the Steering Wheel upgrade, a DIY style or visiting VW Service station?

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th May 2017, 13:09   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
... the technician who immediately diagnosed it as a Multiclutch issue, said it would need replacement.

====================

Total warranty claim amount by the dealer from VW was around 76k.
I am not quite sure what you mean by a multi-clutch issue. Would you kindly describe the problem a little bit more in detail? Is it the clutch pad that was worn out? Got to be more than that, right? But no mechatronics failure, I suppose, otherwise the costs would be much more than 76k. Any way, we shall wait for your more detailed description of the work done and parts replaced. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
Old 10th May 2017, 20:42   #4643
BHPian

Guys,

I need a bit of guidance with stuff I should keep in the car for long drives. I was thinking of the following list:
1. Engine oil (my Opel in Germany long time ago used to eat quite a lot of oil, don't know about Polo GT TSI)
2. Coolant
3. Windshield wiper fluid

I am not sure of the grade and brand of the fluids. Is it advisable to go to the VW service centre and get these from them?

Kindly suggest. Can you think of anything else? I have a portable tyre inflator, although I have never used it so far.
Old 10th May 2017, 21:19   #4644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Can you think of anything else?
Go for a jump start cable. With the unreliable OE batteries that come with VW cars, this is a must.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 22:02   #4645
Senior - BHPian

A small fire extinguisher, 15 liter plastic can for water or fuel, puncture kit, WD40, Spare Fuses, basic tools, Torch or Flashlight, Brake Oil, Black or other color Insulation Tape, Brown Tape Roll, Some M-Seal, Thick Gloves, Rubber Pipe for transferring fuel etc, Spare Keys, Key Fob Battery, Some plastic sheeting to spread in boot before you dump in luggage.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 10:01   #4646
BHPian

A ready reckoner for prospective buyers that provides insights into fuel efficiency trends for the GT during the first four months of my ownership:

Distance clocked: ~4000KM
Refueling done: ~10 full tanks (All at HPCL petrol pumps)

Driving Pattern: 85% city, 15% highway.
Driving Style: The way this car is meant to be driven! (Read as - NOT sedately ).

PS: This app (drivvo) is wonderful for car owners to keep track of complete car expenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-fuel-efficiency_gt.png  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-fuel-expenses_gt.png  

GTp0wer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2017, 21:59   #4647
BHPian

Sidparek, can you help with the technician name from Mumbai West workshop. I am having the same issue.
Old 13th May 2017, 09:10   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Guys,
I need a bit of guidance with stuff I should keep in the car for long drives.
Hi asitkde,

I believe you wont need most of these unless you are going to a very remote area for several months. I don't think you will have to replenish coolant/engine oil during trips, as a caution you should get these checked before the trip. Some of the useful items listed by others are

1. Jump start cable
2. Fire extinguisher.
3. Tow cable.
4. Insulation tape, other essential tools
5. Spare headlight bulbs.

I believe these things might be useful.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 23:23   #4649
BHPian

Thank you graaja, Traveler & antardaksh for your valuable suggestions. I do not think, I can take all that has been suggested. But I shall try to keep as many as I can. This time we are driving to Puri, altogether about 1200 kms drive. But for future trips, I will keep the list in mind.

Today I went to OSL Prestige (VW, Audi and BMW service centre in Kolkata) to get the car checked. My intention was also to get a bit of the essential fluids (engine oil, brake oil, coolant etc). The experience was quite alright, except that it took them nearly three hours. Well, one thing is worth mentioning about the visit. I was given a medium size plastic bottle of a fuel additive. Given that on the highway the quality of fuel is not always great, my service engineer suggested I use a capful of the additive each time I fill a tankful. I checked out the bottle, and "genuine VW ...." is written on the label. I did not know VW recommends using an additive with the TSI engine. BTW, barring the first half a tank, I have always filled up with Speed 97, something I will not get on the highway.
Old 15th May 2017, 14:49   #4650
BHPian

Quote:
A quick update for all Bhpians who face a similar issue with the DQ200 DSG as above.

Apologies for the long post, just hope this can be of help to people who are facing similar issues with the DQ200.

Cheers,
Sid.
Sid, could you please let me know the name of the technician that you dealt with in the VW Andheri Workshop. I intend taking my car there over the weekend for a similar diagnosis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks