Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 02:30   #4741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I'd like to repeat that I did know a guy who destroyed at least the reverse gear train through his auto box by engaging R. This might have been 1980-something: In engineering terms, that is indeed an age ago. The last auto-transmission car I drove was built in late 90s: Certainly I would not have risked the experiment.

I imagine that the DSG gearbox is controlled as much by logic as it is by a lever: it must be not too hard to prevent human-error gear destruction.

But, for ordinary-mortal idiots: there is a button. You know when you need to press it and press it only if you need. Speaking as an ordinary-mortal idiot, that works for me. It is actually easier to get confused with a manual box. And if a person is determined to get that confused, nothing will stop them --- except a logic lockout of the action.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 08:58   #4742
BHPian

Would following a rule to use the button only when car is stationary help here? I'll try the scenarios on my car over weekend and confirm.

Last edited by ventoman : 10th August 2017 at 09:09.
Old 10th August 2017, 10:18   #4743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

I am experiencing a mild jerk when the gearbox shifts from D4 to D3 while slowing down. The same can be experiened when downshifting from D3 to D2 as well, but not as bad as the D4-D3 jerk. It happens all the time. The vehicle has clocked 3200 km in 4 months majorly consisting of highway runs and city usage in mild traffic. Is the jerk a common characteristic of the gearbox?
I don't think so that it is a generic or a common problem, obviously I am speaking for myself after clocking 35k on a Vento DSG.
The so-called "jerk" can be mostly called as a DSG behavior, depending upon an up-shift or a down-shift associated with a linear or hard acceleration/deceleration.

Usually, the up-shifts happen much faster as compared to a down-shift. VW says that the timings are about 8-10 millisec and about 600 milisec for up and down shifts respectively.

Can you explain if the down-shift behavior that you are witnessing, is during a specific deceleration process i.e. if you are braking hard, or slowing down gradually?

At a D4 gear, the engine rpm along with the vehicle speed is obviously higher as compared to a D3 or a D2 gear. And since the 7-speed DQ200 box is tuned for a higher fuel efficiency for most of the operational times, hence the gearbox due its fuzzy logic adaptation, may tend towards holding the gear at D4 for a bit longer time as compared to a D3 or D2.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:34   #4744
BHPian

With regards to the button, here is what I have read and experienced.

From and to "P" - It is essential that the button is pressed. This is a safety measure.

From and to "R" - It is essential that the button is pressed. This is a safety measure.

Between "N" and "D" - The button is not necessary to be pressed.

To "S" from "D" - The is necessary to press the button. I suppose to ensure that it is not slotted to "S" accidentally.

During normal drives, the button is not necessary to be pressed to move from "D" to "N" or vice-versa.

With regards to stopping at signals, I move to "N" with my foot on the brake, for a duration of say 60 odd seconds. For longer periods, I use the hand brake. I don't move it to "P" though. I use "P" only when the car is stopped and engine turned off and the end of my drive.

Please let know if there is anything specific.
Old 10th August 2017, 18:31   #4745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
I must be missing something; this gives the impression that the car moves in N. D to N is clear.
in GT, anything movement from N (to D or to R) or to N (from D or from R), you necessarily dont have to press the button.
This means that you can do the following:
1. D -> N
2. R -> N
3. N -> D
4. N -> R
Of course if you putting it into R from D, ensure you are absolutely still.
So by combining #2 and #3, after a reverse is done (absolute standstill with leg on break pedal), i can shift to D without pressing the button.
anToNIcHeN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:51   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have not experienced the D4-D3 jerk that you have mentioned. I have noticed the D3-D2 jerk, but it is very mild and not often.

By slowing down, could you help clarify.
a) getting off the accelerator and letting it shift down (without hitting the brake)
b) braking normally in traffic
c) braking hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The so-called "jerk" can be mostly called as a DSG behavior, depending upon an up-shift or a down-shift associated with a linear or hard acceleration/deceleration.

Usually, the up-shifts happen much faster as compared to a down-shift. VW says that the timings are about 8-10 millisec and about 600 milisec for up and down shifts respectively.

Can you explain if the down-shift behavior that you are witnessing, is during a specific deceleration process i.e. if you are braking hard, or slowing down gradually?

At a D4 gear, the engine rpm along with the vehicle speed is obviously higher as compared to a D3 or a D2 gear. And since the 7-speed DQ200 box is tuned for a higher fuel efficiency for most of the operational times.......
Thank you for the reply.

I am experiencing a mild jerk (the shift can be felt during the D4->D3 and D3->D2 down-shift) in both the scenarios,

1) Decelating without pressing the brake pedal and letting go the accelerator
2) Decelarating while pressing the brake pedal with a light foot.

It does feel wierd as the DQ250's down-shifts are very smooth (no jerk whatsoever) when compared to the DQ200 gearbox.

Last edited by csr9 : 10th August 2017 at 18:54.
Old 10th August 2017, 21:14   #4747
BHPian

Got a TSi recently after a few hiccups. I have to mention that VW customer support was quite helpful in coordinating a full refund from VW Palace Cross.

Coming from a Brio, I find the TSi's handling to be a bit shaky on the highway, in the corners and while doing sudden lane changes. I am also used to a much sharper steering in my Brio. Braking is not exactly bad, but it just happens a little too last minute. And high speed braking is not exactly confidence inspiring, especially on the stock MRFs. And, the dead pedal should've been a bit wider, but a simple DIY will fix that. So, I see all of these as small compromises considering the whole package.

Anyhow, I'd like to try a few VCDS hacks to make the brakes bite early and improve handling via XDS settings. From what I've read on the interwebs, only the original Ross Tech cable provides access to these advanced settings. So, I don't want to waste my time with a cheap Chinese clone.

I tried calling a few popular tuning guys, but they did not seem all that interested.

Can someone point me to a tuning/service center in Bangalore that can help me do a few VCDS mods?

Last edited by ashwin489 : 10th August 2017 at 21:34.
Old 10th August 2017, 23:47   #4748
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
I must be missing something; this gives the impression that the car moves in N. D to N is clear.
Yes, the car keeps rolling in N, its like any other neutral in a manual gearbox. And here you can shift to D, while its moving without pressing anything and it shifts into the right gear depending on speed.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 00:30   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I did that once: engaged P while moving. Fortunately I was crawling to a stop, at the point when I slotted to P the car was almost standstill. Anyway, as soon as the lever hit P the car stopped abruptly. I was jolted. Lesson learned.

My friend just did the same on his Creta. We were cruising at 40 kmph and he accidentally shifted to P. And bang came the car to a standstill. Luckily it was 10pm and no one at rear!

Is it how it's supposed to work?
Old 11th August 2017, 08:44   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Yes, the car keeps rolling in N, its like any other neutral in a manual gearbox. And here you can shift to D, while its moving without pressing anything and it shifts into the right gear depending on speed.
Yes I get it now. The use of the word " rolling " is more apt and clarifies the issue.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:24   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
in GT, anything movement from N (to D or to R) or to N (from D or from R), you necessarily dont have to press the button.
This means that you can do the following:
1. D -> N
2. R -> N
3. N -> D
4. N -> R
Of course if you putting it into R from D, ensure you are absolutely still.
So by combining #2 and #3, after a reverse is done (absolute standstill with leg on break pedal), i can shift to D without pressing the button.
Small correction. The 4th option is not possible. i.e. you cannot move from N -> R without pressing the button. I tried it today to double check this. Other options are possible without pressing the button.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:33   #4752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Small correction. The 4th option is not possible. i.e. you cannot move from N -> R without pressing the button. I tried it today to double check this. Other options are possible without pressing the button.
Even option 3 has a small correction. While the car is stationary, it is possible to move from N to D if you have the brakes pressed. If you take the foot off the brake, you cannot change from N to D without pressing the button.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 13:48   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
One more addition

You can't move from "D" to "S" while moving without pressing the button as well.

However, you can move from "S" to "D" without pressing the button.
Old 11th August 2017, 13:59   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
One more addition

You can't move from "D" to "S" while moving without pressing the button as well.

However, you can move from "S" to "D" without pressing the button.
During my courtship with DSG I had managed to move from S-D-N by mistake a few times and the engine roar in N with no increase in speed was scary
The sujst slot it back in D and you move on without any problem
Old 11th August 2017, 20:09   #4755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I am experiencing a mild jerk (the shift can be felt during the D4->D3 and D3->D2 down-shift) in both the scenarios,

1) Decelating without pressing the brake pedal and letting go the accelerator
2) Decelarating while pressing the brake pedal with a light foot.

It does feel wierd as the DQ250's down-shifts are very smooth (no jerk whatsoever) when compared to the DQ200 gearbox.
I would still consider it as a normal behaviour. However since the "jerkiness" is quite relative, maybe you can get it checked if it seems too much / causes a shudder in the gear stick every time you experience that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks