Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 12:34   #4861
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I have the 2016 HU. It supports only Mirrorlink and it doesn't support for Android Auto
I have the same HU you do. I connect through Bluetooth not mirrorlink nor Android Auto. You need to setup Google assistant on your phone. If you want pm me with your phone model and I'll try and guide you.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 20:22   #4862
BHPian

Phew!

Finally got rid of the honking sound while locking and unlocking the GT. While the technician was at it, I also got the Needle Sweep function activated, as well as the one-touch five blinks (in place of three) for the indicators.

Loving it! 👍

I would like to know if there are other such cool functions that can be activated.
kkdelhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:02   #4863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Phew!

Finally got rid of the honking sound while locking and unlocking the GT. While the technician was at it, I also got the Needle Sweep function activated, as well as the one-touch five blinks (in place of three) for the indicators.

Loving it! 👍

I would like to know if there are other such cool functions that can be activated.

Hi,

Kindly elaborate on the onetouch five blink as I didn't understand it. And how can it be activated.

what else have you activated?

Cheers and Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:32   #4864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hi Friends, Please weigh in your thoughts.

My search for the Hot hatch had these contenders, the Polo TSI, TDI, Figo S or the Abarth Punto...
Keeping my unsubstantiated fears of DSG & VW maintenance costs aside, booked the Premium fodder (Grey TSI) for the petrol-head, 9.19 ex HR.

Couldn't get the 'logistics' charge removed, got the registration cost reduced by 2k as it was 7k more than 8% RTO charge. Going ahead with Insurance from outside as the quote from dealer is 10K+ more and getting flaps & mat FoC. That's all on the cost sheet.

Visited the stock yard, checked out the car and confirmed the VIN to Oct'17 production.

Last year when I TD the TSI Vento I ended up buying CVT for family. But the TSI pleasure continued to linger and when it was time for *my* personal car I knew where to go. Cheers!
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:35   #4865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Voice command on my car is one thing that I am not at all using because the Voice assistant VW girl never understands me. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I have the same HU you do. I connect through Bluetooth not mirrorlink nor Android Auto. You need to setup Google assistant on your phone. If you want pm me with your phone model and I'll try and guide you.
Thanks Chrome6Boy, After your replies, Yesterday evening I probed into this further. I think I found the issue and the solution. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. there were no voice assistants installed in it (neither was it Mirrorlink compatible). So that's why even thought it was paired tot he car HU, Whenever I pressed the Voice command button on the steering, the VW assistant would come up. Now, my new phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. This is Mirrorlink Compatible, has Google voice assistant and also a Bixby Voice Assistant. Yesterday when I pressed the Voice command nothing happened as I had reported earlier. But this time, I saw the Phone and ther it was asking which app to use by default - Car mode(mirrorlink), Google, or Bixby(Samsung). Of the three Bixby is the best one for regional English accents. So I'll go with that.

Quote:
Phew!
Loving it! 👍
What Honking? Whenever I lock/unlock using the key, I don't get any sound, only the indicators blinking. Had you got the horn linked to it outside? because from the factory, I don't think the horn is linked to the lock/unlock function.

Good that you got the needle sweep activated. It really looks cool. What all can be activated? Read Ownership thread of Gannu_1

The lane change indicator of 4 is ideal 3 is sometimes less and 5 is sometimes more

And by the way, was it the VW Service centre Technician or someone else outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hi,
Kindly elaborate on the onetouch five blink as I didn't understand it. And how can it be activated.
It's the lane change indicator. Push the indicator stalk half way and the indicator flashes 3 times to indicate lane change.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 10:02   #4866
BHPian

Congrats wangdu!

Surprised that you got Grey. I was told only white and red in production.

Do share pictures once you get the car.

Quote:
Keeping my unsubstantiated fears of DSG & VW maintenance costs aside, booked the Premium fodder (Grey TSI) for the petrol-head, 9.19 ex HR.

Couldn't get the 'logistics' charge removed, got the registration cost reduced by 2k as it was 7k more than 8% RTO charge. Going ahead with Insurance from outside as the quote from dealer is 10K+ more and getting flaps & mat FoC. That's all on the cost sheet.

Visited the stock yard, checked out the car and confirmed the VIN to Oct'17 production.

Last year when I TD the TSI Vento I ended up buying CVT for family. But the TSI pleasure continued to linger and when it was time for *my* personal car I knew where to go. Cheers!
Old 31st October 2017, 10:05   #4867
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, hope you also took the 4 year extended warranty. Its definately recommended. I bought the tsi this month too and also got the car cover free. Maybe you can negotiate still?

Quote:
Phew!

Loving it! ��

Great, where in Delhi did you get this done?

There other features like, tear wipe, rear wipe which also can be activated.
Can also explore, if we can get mirrors to fold by long press on the key(A bhpian got it working on his superb, and said it might be possible in polo too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Congrats wangdu!

Surprised that you got Grey. I was told only white and red in production.

Do share pictures once you get the car.
Same with me too, i was told by multiple dealers that only white and red are in production for 3 months!

Last edited by revved_up : 31st October 2017 at 10:06.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:12   #4868
Team-BHP Support

Our TSI whose extended warranty got over in August (dang!) came to a clanking stop on Saturday evening, gears are not engaging and has been taken on a flat bed to dealership. I would not be surprised if it is the DSG box that has failed. Awaiting updates today (hopefully). Had done about 52000 kms in last 4 years!

So much for smaller engine and reliability of the box in this combo!
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 10:15   #4869
BHPian

Sorry to know that Jaggu. Hope things get fine.
Not a great news for new owners is it. BTW, which service station you are with in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Our TSI whose extended warranty got over in August (dang!) came to a clanking stop on Saturday evening, gears are not engaging and has been taken on a flat bed to dealership. I would not be surprised if it is the DSG box that has failed. Awaiting updates today (hopefully). Had done about 52000 kms in last 4 years!

penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 10:24   #4870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My condolences, Jaggu. Looks like your 17,666th post attracted the Devil himself!

Do keep us in the loop. Your Polo TSI's DSG must be among the first to totally fail on TBHP.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 11:07   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our TSI whose extended warranty got over in August (dang!) came to a clanking stop on Saturday evening.
Sounds like a mechatronic failure, should be an easy fix. Although you may think the warranty is over, VW should and will honour goodwill warranty. If you don't have any mods on the vehicle, and have done all timely services and replacements, it shouldn't be an issue. Mechatronic costs only about 80-90K just in case they don't honour goodwill warranty.

I still ask everyone here, aren't these failures enough to stop everyone from buying a new VW/Skoda vehicle with DQ200 boxes? There have been a lot of failures on the cars here in the forums.

The problem is that although the nature of these failures is pretty darn straight forward, the diagnosis and stress tests performed to identify the fault correctly, goes ahead and damages other components. In case of mechatronic failure, the next thing to conk off is the clutch, then the flywheel, and finally the gearbox.

No matter with how much care we drive our DQ200 boxes, they are prone to failure and VW/Skoda still deploys these boxes to lower powered cars as a cost saving measure.

On the other hand, there is no gearbox in the VW family that has smoother and quicker shifts than the DQ200. It is one of the latest tech powered boxes, but still the damn thing fails and puts users at risk of a fatal accident. WAKE UP VW
adi_petrolhead is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 14:22   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
Phew!

Loving it! 👍

Could you let know what tools (hardware / dongle / software etc) were used to get this done? Was it done over a cable / bluetooth / WiFi? What are the pre-requisites?
Old 31st October 2017, 14:34   #4873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Sorry to know that Jaggu. Hope things get fine.
Not a great news for new owners is it. BTW, which service station you are with in Bangalore?
It was bought, maintained and serviced at Apple auto, ORR. Except for one time when it was taken to the VW shop at sadashiv nagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My condolences, Jaggu. Looks like your 17,666th post attracted the Devil himself.

Do keep us in the loop. Your Polo TSI's DSG must be among the first to totally fail on TBHP.
Vehicle was towed on saturday evening to the dealer, yesterday pretty much nothing happened apart from some calls saying vehicle has reached if the lease cover is over etc.

Today morning SA was assigned, he called and asked what was the issue? and i was like what the.. you don't know??! Told him it stopped with a clank, and wouldn't engage D or R. Tried S mode also and nope, only thing working was N slot, so was able to push it to road side.

He asked about warranty, i asked him to check since i was not sure of dates. Then he mentioned if it is under warranty only the work would be covered for mechatronic (if that is the case), i requested him to see what can be done. I am not sure how this is going (atleast from his tone earlier on phone), but am sure this needs to be fixed by VW. GB's are for life, well almost.

Anyways got an sms saying 22k, so called and asked SA what the issues. So he mentioned its initial estimate and will get back once they are clear. Thanked and ended the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Sounds like a mechatronic failure, should be an easy fix. Although you may think the warranty is over, VW should and will honour goodwill warranty. If you don't have any mods on the vehicle, and have done all timely services and replacements, it shouldn't be an issue. Mechatronic costs only about 80-90K just in case they don't honour goodwill warranty.
Absolutely stock car since it was a daily drive for city. Even tyres lol. Fully serviced and maintained by VW. Was used mostly in city and since commute was off peak, not much strained on regular basis i guess. Except one Hyd trip, never even had any high speed highway runs. We had checked if the oil change circular is applicable etc while giving for previous service, and they assured they will take care as per VW standards and not to worry. Now i regret... not following it through to see if all the required checks were done.

Let us see what the verdict is, right now keeping fingers crossed!

Quote:
I still ask everyone here, aren't these failures enough to stop everyone from buying a new VW/Skoda vehicle with DQ200 boxes? There have been a lot of failures on the cars here in the forums.
We decided to buy this since the engine power was less and DQ200 was supposed to hold this power and torque ratings.

Quote:
The problem is that although the nature of these failures is pretty darn straight forward, the diagnosis and stress tests performed to identify the fault correctly, goes ahead and damages other components. In case of mechatronic failure, the next thing to conk off is the clutch, then the flywheel, and finally the gearbox.
In serious thought if we should retain this car any further.

Quote:
No matter with how much care we drive our DQ200 boxes, they are prone to failure and VW/Skoda still deploys these boxes to lower powered cars as a cost saving measure.
Then they better offer warranty cover also. 80k on a city car at 4 years is not a small amount.

Quote:
On the other hand, there is no gearbox in the VW family that has smoother and quicker shifts than the DQ200. It is one of the latest tech powered boxes, but still the damn thing fails and puts users at risk of a fatal accident. WAKE UP VW
Thank god it failed in city and at almost crawling speed, though the incident was harrowing in itself with a small child and lady in car. Luckily some friendly boys came to our help to push the car to the side. Later me and 2 of my friends went to the spot and pushed it further to the opposite side which is the parking area. VW wanted us to pay 4.5k online to send tow truck, which we did and had to wait for 2 hours. Half of saturday went behind this drama.

I hope the end of the story is a pleasant one!

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2017 at 14:43.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 11:49   #4874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Could you let know what tools (hardware / dongle / software etc) were used to get this done? Was it done over a cable / bluetooth / WiFi? What are the pre-requisites?
VCDS cable, VCDS software and a Windows laptop.

You could see who in Chennai has a VCDS cable and ask them for help. It's a tatter of a few minutes to get these done.

Cheers
Old 1st November 2017, 22:50   #4875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I got it done at the dealer workshop (VW West). They fixed a small piece of hardware into the dash just below the steering wheel, connected a cable to a laptop and fired up a software. They negotiated through different paths and did the magic. All in goodwill ☺.

Next time I go, I will try and get the other stuff done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks