Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 09:49   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The new article says that the reason for the DSG failures is due to the hot, humid conditions in some cities along with the pollution and start/stop traffic that prevents effective cooling of the box.

Isn't that describing the exact driving conditions in India??
This is 100% the case in Chennai. I don't have the luxury of having a separate car for city and long drives and TSI would be my only drive. It is a bit frustrating that reliability and top notch technology doesn't appear in the same line.
Another factor to consider is when you will eventually sell the vehicle 5-6 years down the line , how would it fare. Another point worth a thought.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:13   #497
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Honda seems to meet both criteria, except after sales tends to be expensive.
!
Don't quite agree with that fact. After sales expenses are very low, mainly because of the fact that things don't usually go wrong. And regular service costs are also at par or below most mainstream manufacturers.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:40   #498
Senior - BHPian

To be fair and equal to common man, this bit of news about the DSG failures should be made public in India. VW should stand up and accept that there could be potential issues to the DSG box in the newly launched Polo GT, and if there are any, they should guarantee a time-specific, no-nonsense, hassle-free, one-stop-shop fix to it. Which surprisingly or otherwise, isn't there yet!

So the question is are there any real takers who, knowing about the general troublesome nature of the DQ200 box without any immediate and permanent fix, are willing to take the plunge and invest in the 9L+ Polo GT?
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 11:06   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You have a good point.

But you also have to remember that a piece of paper with 'Warranty' written on it is not going to help me when I find myself stranded in the middle of the road at 12 am because the gearbox failed. I think this is what people are most worried about.
I agree to this part. But i have got stranded even with a battery going kaput on my Logan. Once the accelerator cable was broken and i had to drive on the idling speed with clutch doing the loading job for nearly 8KM. There are so many ways to get stranded. Even a broken wire will make the car standstill. So there is no need to worry about something that is premature to happen and worry about the same.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:06   #500
BHPian

After going through the articles on http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...-41977-94.html and http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/v...-climate-75182, a couple of things become clearer
- That the root cause of the failures has been identified, and also that some changes have been made in the design. And as mentioned by somebody, to install the DSG with another faulty DSG in a costly recall is not the best strategy for VW.
- Secondly, the failure reports and recalls are happening for the larger cars like Laura, Golf, Audi A3 etc, which all are more powerful (160BHP) and heavier than the 1.2 Polo TSI. The root cause of failure is temperature, which couple with humidity, causes short circuiting and malfunction. All other factors like ambient temperature, humidity, airflow, traffic etc. being constant in for e.g a Laura TSI and a Polo 1.2 TSI driving down the same road at the same time, the heating of the DSG will be directly proportional to the combination of weight and power of the cars. Hence, it is likely that the heating in Polo 1.2 TSI will be lesser than Laura TSI and hence a lower probability of failure.

Assuming that VW have made some modifications in the DSG now, along with say a 4 yr warranty, i would be willing to take a decision in favor of buying this car, had i been in the market for one. I am talking only from the point of view of the DSG failure issue, not the rest of the car or VW A.S.S or pricing etc.

Rgds
Old 10th May 2013, 11:09   #501
BHPian

Good review..!

Small correction. The DSG video shown is with wet multiclutch - i.e DQ250 and not DQ200 (with dry clutch 2 nos).
Also there is no oil cooler on the DQ200.

However the operating principles are same.

Last edited by 007 : 10th May 2013 at 11:11. Reason: Grammer
Old 10th May 2013, 11:42   #502
BHPian

I have taken the plunge fully knowing the issues with DSG. My monthly running would be around 800 km. VW is providing 4yrs warranty. So till then I am enjoying the ride and even if after 5 yrs I have to shell out 1 lac plus, I dont mind.

VW is recommending premium fuel and min 90 RON. What is the RON of shell regular and shell super?
Old 10th May 2013, 11:55   #503
BHPian

I am also on the verge of booking this. All I need is a test drive. I will take a call in the next few weeks and the deciding factor will be the test drive. What I really look in the test drive is how comfortable I am inside driving this machine rather than what is the tech spec or paper details. Let me see when the sundaram guy in chennai brings the car. Maybe next week
Old 10th May 2013, 12:01   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
I am also on the verge of booking this. All I need is a test drive. I will take a call in the next few weeks and the deciding factor will be the test drive. What I really look in the test drive is how comfortable I am inside driving this machine rather than what is the tech spec or paper details. Let me see when the sundaram guy in chennai brings the car. Maybe next week
Got a call from Abra mount road yesterday. They are organizing a promo drive this Sunday and a TD can be availed at the showroom. Doorstep TD is still not available.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:27   #505
BHPian

Today went to the showroom again but the td car went to other dealer, I did ask about dsg issue and they are saying some changes are done and prolonged tests have been carried before launch, would like to trust them, tomorrow will do the extended td and make final call.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 12:41   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
For how long? and what does the fine print read?
I did ask the SA to send me a copy of the warranty document, to which he reluctantly agreed, but I'm sure he's never going to send it. The only way to get it is after buying the car.

I'm sure VW must have anticipated this concern from prospective buyers and they have done absolutely nothing about it. This is the attitude that sucks.
Old 10th May 2013, 13:34   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
I have taken the plunge fully knowing the issues with DSG. My monthly running would be around 800 km. VW is providing 4yrs warranty. So till then I am enjoying the ride and even if after 5 yrs I have to shell out 1 lac plus, I dont mind.

VW is recommending premium fuel and min 90 RON. What is the RON of shell regular and shell super?
Good decision!

Are you sure VW is recommending premium additive mixed fuel? I would advise you to stick to normal unleaded only and avoid additive mixed fuel. Nothing like Shell unleaded if you have shell bunks near to your place.

All petrol sold in the country today (BS III and BS IV) has a min rating of 91 RON. Shell regular and super will also be the same, just that super comes mixed with additives. As I said earlier avoid any additive mixed fuel for the TSI engine and you'll be fine.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 13:38   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post

After the de-control of petrol prices, premium petrol or Speed is costing around 8-10 Rs/Litre more. That's a big difference that is going to pinch every time you tank up.
And when you say recommending, does it mean that it insists or just recommends, leaving the choice up to the owner?

Rgds
Old 10th May 2013, 13:55   #509
BHPian

It is written in service manual "we recommend premium fuel".
Old 10th May 2013, 14:00   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Laura TSi 1.8 runs fine on regular petrol.
Why would Polo TSi 1.2 be any different?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks