Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2018, 18:29   #5266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Hello Friends,

I have November 2014 GT TSI with around 5000km on the odometer...

...The issue that I have is, that during the first drive after an overnight stop or a longish 7-8 hrs stop (which means the engine has sufficiently cooled down to ambient temperature). I hear a noise from the engine compartment whenever I pass over a speed breaker, when the front wheels reach the point where it has completely passed over the speed breaker and the body of the car takes a bounce over the suspension. The same noise is heard when the car passes over some potholes even at speeds as low as 10km/h. The noise is a metallic sound and becomes almost inaudible once the engine has sufficiently warmed up (coolant temperature at 90 deg C for more than 20-30 minutes).

I would like to know from fellow owners here, if they too have noticed something similar with their GT TSIs.

Cheers
Have exactly the same issue in my car, October 2014 model, don't know what the reason is. The service advisor over call told me it is a case of gone bushes. My car is 39000kms and I did nothing about it as I've been very busy and the car is clocking miles otherwise without issues, will get it checked​ at 40000 km service.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2018 at 15:44. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for improved readability
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 05:12   #5267
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Have exactly the same issue in my car, October 2014 model, don't know what the reason is. The service advisor over call told me it is a case of gone bushes. My car is 39000kms and I did nothing about it as I've been very busy and the car is clocking miles otherwise without issues, will get it checked​ at 40000 km service.
Hi dhruvritzed, which bushes was the service advisor talking about. As far as I can remember, for my car, this issue was there when I went for the first six monthly check up (around 1000km on odo), and whatever bushes are they, will not wear out so early. Since when did you notice this issue, did it crop up later during your ownership or was it present right from the beginning.

What I was told by VW service centre was, that its an engine mount which has its clearances reach the normal working values once the engine has warmed up and operating at its stipulated operating temperature. Citing this as an explanation they said, its a normal phenomenon.
Old 28th April 2018, 13:04   #5268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Hi dhruvritzed, which bushes was the service advisor talking about. As far as I can remember, for my car, this issue was there when I went for the first six monthly check up (around 1000km on odo), and whatever bushes are they, will not wear out so early. Since when did you notice this issue, did it crop up later during your ownership or was it present right from the beginning.

What I was told by VW service centre was, that its an engine mount which has its clearances reach the normal working values once the engine has warmed up and operating at its stipulated operating temperature. Citing this as an explanation they said, its a normal phenomenon.
Once I go in for a check, I'll be able to tell this better. If it is the engine mount, I'll ask them to replace it as Audi did the same outside of warranty for a similar problem in my A4. Let's see how they respond but I've grown habitual to this issue.
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:21   #5269
BHPian

My car went to VW Palace Cross service center near Jalahalli for 2nd service at 27,000 kms. I requested them not to change the engine oil as the oil sump had broken during a collision with a stone about 4 months back when the odometer was at 22,000 kms so the engine oil did not need replacement. The service advisor agreed to that after checking the vehicle history. The repair had been carried out at the same service center. I had also done wheel balancing and alignment recently so requested not to do that.

I had reported one issue that at higher RPMs in sports mode, there was some noise from the hood and the RPMs were not rising further. It was as if the RPM limiter was hitting too early (~4500 RPMs). I was informed that a DSG software update would solve that issue. I was expecting to take back the car the same evening but the Service advisor called to say that the software update was taking a long time and the car will be ready next day for delivery.

Next day I was busy in office so requested them to send the car to my office. I got a call that the driver had started from their service center and I should expect him in 30 minutes. The bill was 10.5k. Out of this, 2k was 3M interior cleaning that I had requested for. Around 2.8k was for 4 spark plugs replacement that needs to be done in second service.

In the next 20 minutes, I got a call from the SA that the car had developed some problem and the driver had to take it back to workshop and they were looking into the problem. Initial observation was that there was some sound from the engine bay. I got anxious. In the next 30 minutes, the SA called me again to inform that the engine mounting block that connects the engine to the body had fractured and broken. I was shocked. The SA also expressed shock over the failure and said that this kind of failure was extremely uncommon. I rushed to the service center where the SA directly led me inside the workshop and showed me the problem. I was allowed or rather helped in taking good photographs of the fractured mount.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3706.jpg

I then met the Service Manager there. He also had no solid reason of why the mount had broken. He explained that the GT TSI’s engine is mounted to the body from single side which would allow the engine to break off easily from the body in case of a frontal impact and avoid the engine getting inside the cabin and injuring the occupants. This was some kind of safety oriented design. Since my car had a front impact accident about 4 months back, it was suspected that the aluminium cast had probably developed a weakness or a crack that finally failed.

It was finally agreed that a warranty claim would be filed. However, since the problem had happened while the car was in their possession, the service manager took responsibility of the problem and ensured me that the car would be ready within 5 days. Parts were ordered immediately and he approved shipment by air.

I got the delivery of the car after 6 days. I wasn’t charged anything for the repair but neither was I provided with any invoice for the repair within warranty.

But the woes were not over yet! The VW driver who came to deliver the car could not make the remote key work to lock the doors. He called up the workshop and was told to check the battery connections. The battery terminal connection was loose. The nut had just been placed on the terminal screw but not tightened. I gave the driver a spanner from my tool kit to tighten it. The remote key still did not work though which was expected since a loose battery terminal would have cause several other problems too than just the remote locking. The SA told me on phone to wait overnight for the remote key to start working. I agreed to wait for a miracle to happen overnight that would fix the remote key .

Having gotten back the car after a week, I decided to go for a short drive that night. Several other issues began to unravel. Cornering lights were not working. Fog lights were not working. Windows one-touch-up function was not working. Steering mounted buttons were not illuminated. I messaged the SA that I will be visiting on Saturday to get it all sorted.

Went to the ASC on Saturday at 9 am and the car was finally ready with all problems solved at 12 noon. Some fuse had gone bad and there was some software issue which had caused these problems (and some other which I was not even aware of like the cruise control not working). Of course, I was not charged for this.

I also met the Service Manager to ask about the invoice for the repairs done under warranty and I was told that the warranty was rejected by VW. The repair work was done under goodwill warranty by the dealer since the problem had occurred when the car was in their possession.

Now, I have the car back with me in good condition. But I have a lot of questions.

1. Why did VW reject the warranty? The car was 2 years 1 week old when the failure happened. But I have extended warranty so it should have been covered under warranty as a manufacturing defect in the casting of the aluminium mount.

2. What if the failure had happened while I was driving the car? Would I have got the goodwill warranty from the dealer?

3. What caused the part to fail? Was it really the impact caused by the collision that happened 4 months back? Can VW decline warranty in such cases? It was the ASC who did not find any damage to the mount at that time so technically this cannot be used as a reason to reject warranty.

4. What did the service technicians do that caused a fuse to go bad that resulted in several features not working? Was it really a software bug too that disabled all these features (as told by the SA)? If yes, how did the software got messed up?

5. Finally, should I call this a GOOD experience or a BAD experience?

Good because:
a.) The SA and manager were very helpful and transparent. It felt like they really wanted to help me out.
b.) The parts were ordered on priority by air even before the warranty claim was filed.
c.) I was given goodwill warranty when VW rejected the warranty claim and that too without even a single argument.
d.) Car is back in perfect condition. All I paid for was the 2nd service.

BAD because:
a.) The engine mount BROKE! That’s a dangerous thing to happen. Thank God, I (or anyone else) was not driving at high speeds on a highway when it happened.
b.) VW rejected the warranty claim.
c.) The car came back with several issues after the repair for which I had to spend half my Saturday at ASC to get everything fixed.

All’s well that ends well. The ASC handled the problem really well. I am thankful to Mr. Prasad (Service advisor) and Mr. Babu (Service Manager) for their support in getting everything resolved quickly.
anshumandun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:20   #5270
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that it is quite likely that a stone collision that damaged your sump might have transmitted enough force to damage the mounting. Perhaps it is lucky that no more damage was done to the engine!

As to the electrical faults: perhaps a disconnected wire was carelessly allowed to short?

It's quite a story, all happening along with one service. Glad all was resolved at no extra cost. I thought "good-will" repairs were invoiced at "nil" cost. After all, it is part of the car's service history.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 19:48   #5271
BHPian

I think that some mishap would have occurred at the dealership or by the driver while delivering the car to you. And that is why the dealership did all they could do to make it an as pleasant experience for you as they could.

If this would have happened, they probably didn't even file for the warranty claim and got it repaired at their cost to cover up their tracks.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:15   #5272
BHPian

It is likely that something might have happened while your car was at the dealership or while being delivered to you and the SA and manager are trying to hide it from you. You drove about 5000 kms since the stone collision without developing any problems all the while. So i don't think this series of issues are only a sole result of that collision. It is possible that the engine mount took a hit during your initial collision and something else broke it. Never heard of VW dealership giving a goodwill warranty without the customer asking for it.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:12   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
I think that some mishap would have occurred at the dealership or by the driver while delivering the car to you. And that is why the dealership did all they could do to make it an as pleasant experience for you as they could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
It is likely that something might have happened while your car was at the dealership or while being delivered to you and the SA and manager are trying to hide it from you.
I too have that doubt in my mind but I cannot find a logic that can explain the engine mount failure. That part can break only if the car meets with a frontal impact. There was no damage to the car when I visited them just one day after the car was given for servicing. Not even a scratch.
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:27   #5274
BHPian

So I picked up my 1.2 GT TSi in Carbon Steel on the 23rd April. Have barely driven the car for about 200 kms since then.
Here are a few initial queries I have in regards to the car.

1. I had paid for the car via my credit card. The dealership charged me 2% over and above invoice because I was paying via my card. Is this right? I mean with all the digital India, and cashless economy, should I be charged 2% for using my card??
2. I got the camera, arm rest and side strip installed on the car. The camera I believe has been installed askew. Is there a way to correct it? Considering the holes have been drilled and all. Was expecting a better installation considering it costed a whooping Rs. 9000 for just the camera (after discount. Original price Rs. 13000)
3. There is a "whooshing" sound that comes from the bonnet the moment the turbo kicks in. Is it normal?
4. The fuel efficiency seems to be a bit low than my expectations. Getting barely 8-9 kmpl in the city, while driving sedately. Have heard claims of 14-15 by the sales staff.
5. Brakes like many had suggested feel a bit inadequate. Can something be done? Or should I consider changing the brake pads so early on?
6. Switching off the A/c is kind of quirky. First you rotate the blower knob to minimum, wait for a few seconds and then rotate it further to switch it off. Am I doing something wrong?
7. Surprisingly the dealer has still not given me the invoice of my car. At the time of delivery I was told it takes a few days to make the invoice. Never faced this issue while buying any other car ever!!

Also observed, that the handling isn't something to write about. The car's steering feels a bit vague. This might be because I had been driving my Punto, Laura and Octavia all this while - and the expectations were in the same league. The Punto definitely handled better and was more confidence inspiring than the Octavia and at par with the Laura.
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:23   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

1.should I be charged 2% for using my card??
No, they cannot charge 2% which will be a substantial amount. You can write to RBI and the bank's merchant department with full details of the transaction, they will ensure to get you a refund.

Quote:
2. The camera I believe has been installed askew. Is there a way to correct it?
If it was a dealer fitted accessory, you have every right to ask for proper fitment, if the holes are not properly done, ask for a new bumper! Fight till you get what you want, you've not got anything for free.

Quote:
3. There is a "whooshing" sound that comes from the bonnet the moment the turbo kicks in. Is it normal?
Try turning on the AC air recirculation mode and then try accelerating, see if the whooshing has subsided. Does the recirculation mode of the AC turn off every time you press 'Auto' mode for the AC?

Quote:
4. Getting barely 8-9 kmpl in the city, while driving sedately.
One of the reasons could be slightly dirty fuel. While going up a slope, say an underground parking exit, do you hear the engine knocking in D2? Try changing the fuel bunk, or get one tank full of Xtra Premium petrol, and calculate the FE by tank full method.

Quote:
5. Brakes like many had suggested feel a bit inadequate.
Stock brakes are indeed soft. Let them be for at least 2000 km. If you still feel they're inadequate, go for bigger front rotors and accordingly better pads. Braking also is dependent on quality of tyres. Did you swap the stock tyres already? Sticky rubber from Michelin or Yokohama surely makes a difference in braking.

Quote:
6. Switching off the A/c is kind of quirky.
Thats exactly how you go about it as there is no 'OFF' button.

Quote:
7. Surprisingly the dealer has still not given me the invoice of my car.
Thats the weirdest thing here! Invoice is usually given with the car on the first day (as would have been the case with your other purchases) otherwise how is one supposed to get the car registered? Your dealer is sure acting fishy. Get to the bottom of it. If you have made the full payment, demand the invoice right away.

Quote:
Also observed, that the handling isn't something to write about. The car's steering feels a bit vague.
True that. Handling isn't that great by default. Lot of tweaks like better rubber, optimum tyre pressure, various VCDS tweaks also aid handling and steering feel. You'll need to catch hold of a VCDS expert here or someone who has already done some minor tweaks to the car's behaviour via software.
Old 3rd May 2018, 19:06   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
1. I had paid for the car via my credit card. The dealership charged me 2% over and above invoice because I was paying via my card. Is this right? I mean with all the digital India, and cashless economy, should I be charged 2% for using my card??
Car dealerships run on wafer thin margins as far as percentage is concerned. They get about 3-3.5% of the ex-showroom price. When you pay using a credit card, the bank charges 1.5% + taxes on the swiped value which amounts to about 1.8% of the net amount received by the merchant/dealer. The dealer would end up paying almost half of the profit to the bank. In scenarios where margins are so less, the merchants tend to charge 2% to cover the bank costs. But, he would have to provide the invoice for the total swiped value, and not the basic value. Moreover, The dealer must have informed you about charging extra or you must have checked before entering your pin to authenticate the transaction. If you were not informed earlier or your invoice doesn't reflect the entire swiped amount, you can surely raise a flag with the authorities and claim the 2% back. But if your invoice does include the said charges, then the dealer is right.

Quote:
Never heard the "whoosing" sound in my 5 weeks of ownership

Quote:
4. The fuel efficiency seems to be a bit low than my expectations. Getting barely 8-9 kmpl in the city, while driving sedately. Have heard claims of 14-15 by the sales staff.
Give it a few days and a bit more on the ODO. As the engine runs in and the transmission gets adapted, the FE would improve and so would the gear shifts.

Quote:
6. Switching off the A/c is kind of quirky. First you rotate the blower knob to minimum, wait for a few seconds and then rotate it further to switch it off. Am I doing something wrong?
Never had to do it like this! If i just want to switch off the compressor with the blower ON, i press the "AC" switch which toggles the ON/OFF status of the Air Con. And if I just turn the blower speed to zero, it is taken care of.

Quote:
7. Surprisingly the dealer has still not given me the invoice of my car. At the time of delivery I was told it takes a few days to make the invoice. Never faced this issue while buying any other car ever!!
This is unusual and not heard of. The Invoice is given on the spot with the vehicle at the time of delivery. The registration papers, they do take time. I hope you have your insurance papers with you.
Old 3rd May 2018, 19:37   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
Car dealerships run on wafer thin margins as far as percentage is concerned. They get about 3-3.5% of the ex-showroom price. When you pay using a credit card, the bank charges 1.5% + taxes on the swiped value which amounts to about 1.8% of the net amount received by the merchant/dealer. The dealer would end up paying almost half of the profit to the bank. In scenarios where margins are so less, the merchants tend to charge 2% to cover the bank costs. But, he would have to provide the invoice for the total swiped value, and not the basic value. Moreover, The dealer must have informed you about charging extra or you must have checked before entering your pin to authenticate the transaction. If you were not informed earlier or your invoice doesn't reflect the entire swiped amount, you can surely raise a flag with the authorities and claim the 2% back. But if your invoice does include the said charges, then the dealer is right.

Never heard the "whoosing" sound in my 5 weeks of ownership

Give it a few days and a bit more on the ODO. As the engine runs in and the transmission gets adapted, the FE would improve and so would the gear shifts.

Never had to do it like this! If i just want to switch off the compressor with the blower ON, i press the "AC" switch which toggles the ON/OFF status of the Air Con. And if I just turn the blower speed to zero, it is taken care of.

This is unusual and not heard of. The Invoice is given on the spot with the vehicle at the time of delivery. The registration papers, they do take time. I hope you have your insurance papers with you.

1. I was informed they would be charging 2% extra. But my question is - should they?

2. If no one else has heard the whooshing sound - then I will get it checked.

3. I'm expecting the FE to increase in about 1000 odd kms

4. What I meant was when you switch off the Ac as well as the blower.

5. This is worrisome for sure. He tried charging me "handling and logistic" charges which I refused. Then he charged me 2500 as agent fees for RTO and 3000 additional for getting it C/o (care of) in my company's name. He tried charging me over and above the 7% Road tax which I had politely declined and their GM agreed that their math didn't add up
Old 4th May 2018, 10:23   #5278
BHPian

Quote:

The correct procedure for stopping the air con (for any air con, auto mobile, home or large scale industrial plants) is:
1. Switch off the compressor first.
2. Let the fan run till such time that the air temp from the blower rises slightly. It means that all the refrigerant liquid in the evaporator has evaporated. (for cars the fan speed can be increased to evaporate the refrigerant a little faster).
3. Switch off the fan.

For Polo, as niteshbids mentioned, pressing the ac button toggles between switching on and off of the compressor. So first switch off the air con by pressing the ac button, for stopping the fan turn the fan speed knob anti-clockwise till the fan stops.

Cheers.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 14:17   #5279
BHPian

Got some RLine decals for the GT from AliExpress. Took a zillion years for the dispatch to reach me here in Jodhpur, but alas the wait was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-146e9b195b2145b789e376ec813a84c7.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-1e793ee223384c8c9dea5531b2dac869.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-bd89eccfcde94677b29946536f013800.jpeg  

lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 08:03   #5280

My GT has done 47k kms on the odo and it's time for a tyres change. From the numerous posts that I have read on this thread, I guess Michelin P3ST's are a preferred choice with an upsize of 195/60 R15 as compared to stock. Few questions -
While Michelins are great in comfort and handling, how much life can one expect from them ?
I'm pretty much happy with the durability (only) of stock apollos which are still good for another 5K kms, but I'm not going to wait till then.
Is any other option - Continental / Yokohama / Bridgestone / Goodyear - good enough to choose over Michelin for comfort, ride quality and durability reasons ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks