Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2018, 00:30   #5326
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
So I'm looking to buy the GT TSI. Many questions.

First is this - how old is this current model? Does anyone have a version history? Since the car itself is quite old, just looking at when this first review on this thread was posted.

Second question - I have read about historical problems with the DSG. Is it still a problem, or at some stage got sorted?

Will have more questions along the way, but grateful for answers to the first two
The facelifted GT TSI came in 2014. Which had most bits from Polo 6C. After that there has been many iterative feature addition every 6 months or so. But fundamentally the same. The most notable mechanical change came in 2017 when they went from 185/60 R15 to 195/55 R16

Last edited by rageshgr : 10th June 2018 at 00:31.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 00:53   #5327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
As far as I know you can't do anything in VCDS to improve performance. You can only improve brake assist and XDS ( which will grab the inner brakes while cornering hard to reduce understeer)
Thats good enough for me. Any other non performance based VCDS changes you'd like to recommend? My main problem is finding a place in Mumbai to get all these done
Old 10th June 2018, 10:04   #5328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Thats good enough for me. Any other non performance based VCDS changes you'd like to recommend? My main problem is finding a place in Mumbai to get all these done
Actually it is a personal choice. So depends on your preference. Check this out. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html

Robi describes each setting.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:08   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
So I'm looking to buy the GT TSI. Many questions.

First is this - how old is this current model? Does anyone have a version history? Since the car itself is quite old, just looking at when this first review on this thread was posted.

Second question - I have read about historical problems with the DSG. Is it still a problem, or at some stage got sorted?

Will have more questions along the way, but grateful for answers to the first two
I had the same questions. But I can answer you for the first.
The one we have in India is the First Generation in India, But it is a globally Fifth generation one.
6th Gen Polo is available in few countries, if it comes to India, it would the Second gen one in the subcontinent.

Regarding Q 2, I guess this one particular DSG has no big complaints, which I read elsewhere, But let the users and experts answer this.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:20   #5330
BHPian

I have a 2016 Polo GT TSI which is now in it's extended warranty period. Since about the last 6 months I have had a screeching sound when shifting from D1 to D2 and unfortunately this only starts after a long drive (250+ KM) on ghat roads. I had this last time when I visited Kerala. And again last week when I visited Ooty. This trip I recorded the sound on my phone (link to mp3 here). During the last scheduled service about 5 months ago I complained to the service center but since I couldn't demonstrate the problem they said they didn't find anything wrong with the gearbox. From earlier posts here I think this is a serious issue with the DSG. Can someone with more experience listen to the sound and kindly share your views?
Old 29th June 2018, 10:38   #5331
BHPian

Not sure whether I asked this question here before

My TSi has been making a whooshing noise every time the turbo spools up.

Is that normal?
Old 29th June 2018, 10:47   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

Is that normal?
It is normal. Try turning on air recirculation mode, the noise should reduce. Even if it doesn't, it is normal if you don't feel any issue in drivability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I have a 2016 Polo GT TSI which is now in it's extended warranty period. Since about the last 6 months I have had a screeching sound when shifting from D1 to D2 and unfortunately this only starts after a long drive (250+ KM) on ghat roads.
This is definitely an issue. Although the noise in the clip is something I've never experienced before, this seems to be more of a clutch issue rather than a gearbox issue. This could although lead to issues with the gearbox. You should push them for a long test drive and accompany them if possible, and reproduce the noise. Unfortunately you might have to literally beg for a new Gearbox, but be satisfied if they agree for a multi clutch with flywheel replacement. Their diagnosis will first point out to the mechatronic, and eventually they will tell you its the clutch. Keep in mind a time frame of a month or more to resolve this issue. That is if you're persistent.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 11:26   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It is normal. Try turning on air recirculation mode, the noise should reduce. Even if it doesn't, it is normal if you don't feel any issue in drivability.

Tried that. The sound doesn't reduce.

Not sure about the issues with drivability as it's a new car (barely 700kms)

But tried a test drive vehicle- and there was no such sound in it.
Old 29th June 2018, 12:13   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
This is definitely an issue. Although the noise in the clip is something I've never experienced before, this seems to be more of a clutch issue rather than a gearbox issue. This could although lead to issues with the gearbox. You should push them for a long test drive and accompany them if possible, and reproduce the noise. Unfortunately you might have to literally beg for a new Gearbox, but be satisfied if they agree for a multi clutch with flywheel replacement. Their diagnosis will first point out to the mechatronic, and eventually they will tell you its the clutch. Keep in mind a time frame of a month or more to resolve this issue. That is if you're persistent.
Thanks for taking a look at it. They have asked me bring the car tomorrow to the service center. I will check if I can accompany them on the test drive. The main problem is that the issue does not show up on in-city commutes. We may have to drive up and down Nandi hills (a small hill station nearby) a couple of times perhaps.

As per my understanding the DQ200 (7 speed DSG) is a complete unit with the clutch integrated into it. I wonder if the technicians at the service center are equipped/knowledgeable to service the DSG unit. Wouldn't it be a complete unit replacement if the issue does turn out to be the transmission unit? Also I was reading here that if it's a clutch issue then all even/odd numbered gears should exhibit the same symptom (sound in my case) and not a specific gear only.
Old 29th June 2018, 14:00   #5335
BHPian

Quote:

Is that normal?
Perfectly normal from what I understand. I've been hearing this noise in my TDI from the initial days itself and I realised my car has a turbo A/C.
But as @adi said, it disappears on switching to recirculation mode.

Last edited by BigBrad : 29th June 2018 at 14:02.
Old 29th June 2018, 14:55   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Perfectly normal from what I understand. I've been hearing this noise in my TDI from the initial days itself and I realised my car has a turbo A/C.
But as @adi said, it disappears on switching to recirculation mode.

I'm so sorry I wasn't clear. This noise has nothing to do with the aircon. I've tried every possible permutation - Ac on/off/recirculation, windows up/down, music system playing/not playing.

Mine is a TSi and not a TDi. What is worrying me is it's not there in their test drive car.
Old 29th June 2018, 15:37   #5337
BHPian

Quote:
I'm so sorry I wasn't clear. This noise has nothing to do with the aircon. I've tried every possible permutation - Ac on/off/recirculation, windows up/down, music system playing/not playing.

Mine is a TSi and not a TDi. What is worrying me is it's not there in their test drive car.
At what revs and gear (D/S/T) is this sound heard?
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:43   #5338
BHPian

Quote:
They have asked me bring the car tomorrow to the service center.
Quick update on this issue.
I took the car to the service center on Sat. I met the service head who was very helpful. He said the abnormal sound does point to a bad clutch and said it would be need to be replaced. They said it'd take about a week and that the car has to be at the service center for the whole time. Apparently it's a very expensive fix (~ 1.2 Lakhs) so I am glad it showed up before the extended warranty expired. He said they have seen a few cases like this and so it's always prudent to go for the extended warranty. I was concerned about the new replacement clutch also developing the issue again - he assured me that the replacement clutch is upgraded and shouldn't go bad prematurely. I hope he is right! Apparently the clutch unit is designed/manufactured for the given engine capacity (1.2L) so these issues could be only for the Polo variant we have in India and hence the other DQ200 units worldwide may not suffer from the same issue. The car has < 20K on it and I have been a gentle driver (hardly used S mode), no driving in flooded streets, no pressure washing, etc. so I feel this failure is likely due to a manufacturing/design issue with the clutch which is really bad for a premium hatchback from a reputed manufacturer. I will update here once I hear back from the service center. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:22   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the clutch unit is designed/manufactured for the given engine capacity (1.2L) so these issues could be only for the Polo variant we have in India and hence the other DQ200 units worldwide may not suffer from the same issue. The car has < 20K on it and I have been a gentle driver (hardly used S mode), no driving in flooded streets, no pressure washing, etc. so I feel this failure is likely due to a manufacturing/design issue with the clutch which is really bad for a premium hatchback from a reputed manufacturer..
The GT TSI in India is 1.2L. in that case shouldn't this be made for the car in India? Why would it not have an issue for a car for other countries?

Further, driving in thick traffic with a lot of stops and starts would hurt the clutch more than if driven on the highway or even in the sports mode. From what I know of my car, it loves to be taken on the highway.

You may also want to shift to Neutral / Park at traffic lights to prevent the clutch from wearing out.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd July 2018 at 10:27. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:42   #5340
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on this issue.
I took the car to the service center on Sat. I met the service head who was very helpful. He said the abnormal sound does point to a bad clutch and said it would be need to be replaced. They said it'd take about a week and that the car has to be at the service center for the whole time.
This is scary,as you said after paying such a premium price for a hatchback encountering this kind of issue doesn't leave a good taste in mouth. Hope things get better soon!

Just to share the experience I had with Fabia few years back. The ABS malfunctioning light in my car started blinking intermittently. When I reported it to Skoda service people, they mentioned its just a false sign and clearing the log will resolve it. But it kept resurfacing and for next 2-3 times they aid the same thing. After that they said that there is problem with the ABS unit and that has to replaced which would cost around 1L!!! I was astonished! My car was not in warranty. I then searched for some contacts in India as well as Czech head office and emailed them. After many iteration some senior level engineer from there Bangalore unit got involved and finally they found that the issue is merely due to some dust particles got accumulated somewhere in the breaking system. They cleaned it and the ABS light issue got resolved forever free of cost as, as a "goodwill" gesture they didn't charge anything for it. Even if they had, it would have been nothing more thank 500-1000 bucks!!

The real issue which I understood with this episode and issues faced by some of my friends is there are not many skilled people at their service centers. No one is willing to put extra effort and desire to walk extra mile to help customers,rather they prefer to pass on the problem on customer's head. Situation is a little different with Maruti/Huyndai/(Tata also these days) etc as service people are usually more skilled and also senior management is more approachable specially these days, thanks to media/social platforms.

At the end, I would say the German cars are more complicated technically and there parts/labour are expensive.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd July 2018 at 10:52. Reason: Edited length of quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks