Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 09:44   #5461
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Posting this for the reference of all VW owners in BLR, as well as GT TSi owners who're concerned about their DSGs. Originally posted this on another thread about the DSG failures.

My 2014 Polo GT TSi had been producing screeching sounds randomly during gear shifts which only became more consistent over time. The problem didn’t exist until my 2nd annual service at VW Whitefield (Bangalore) where the SA opened the transmission without my permission to fix an oil leakage issue that I’m sure didn’t exist. Complaints to VW Customer Care fell on deaf ears, but I swore I will never return to this service station for this as well as the hundred other things they did like damage my armrest, soil the roof lining, and so on.

A year later, technicians at VW Palace Cross (Hesaraghatta branch) were unable to diagnose the issue (or so they told me) and finally when I took it to VW North Bangalore this year, they kept the car for a month (causing me tremendous inconvenience that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) and finally replaced the multi-clutch which apparently costs 1.1Lakh. I was fortunately covered by extended warranty. I couldn't understand how a clutch can fail after just 20k km of use! As an anecdote, replacing the entire DSG unit including the mechatronics apparently costs 5Lakh according to the SM at VW North Bangalore - almost 50% the value of the car!!! Hence the extended warranty should be a no brainer for anyone buying a vehicle with this temperamental transmission.

Of the three, my service experience was the best at VW North Bangalore (Thanisandra Main Road), notwithstanding the endless delays (they'd committed to having the problem resolved in 2 weeks but took an entire month). That might have to do with their being relatively new and wanting to earn a name for themselves. VW Whitefield was just pathetic - I'm surprised VW even allows such service centers to operate - IMO they should be closed down, and a strong message sent to all service centers that there is no tolerance for unprofessionalism and dubious practices.

All in all, the DQ200 seems to be a lottery - I've read about people clocking 50k km without issues, while I’ve had to have the clutch on mine replaced at 20k km after literally babying the gearbox by shifting to N at traffic lights, and not keep my foot on the brake for more than 15 seconds continuously while in D. I don't know if it was the tampering by VW Whitefield that caused this (were they swapping my clutch for a defective one?) or purely my getting a unit with a propensity for failure. It is this kind of suspicion and doubt that I find highly annoying, and from a company that ignored my complaints while being embroiled in faking emission levels.

While the GT TSi driving experience is unmatched for refinement and thrill, the peace of mind I have lost worrying about an imminent failure and the gaping hole it would burn in my pocket just isn’t it worth it anymore for me. I’d prefer to drive a car that is more reliable and backed by a more trustworthy service infrastructure.

I’m done with VW, their horrendous after-sales service, and the ill-fated DQ200. It will be adios VW for now, and a hello to a Ford Ecosport AT soon.
TNAWAYAJ is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 15:25   #5462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Posting this for the reference of all VW owners in BLR, as well as GT TSi owners who're concerned about their DSGs. Originally posted this on another thread about the DSG failures.

I’m done with VW, their horrendous after-sales service, and the ill-fated DQ200. It will be adios VW for now, and a hello to a Ford Ecosport AT soon.
Horrendous ownership experience TNAWAYAJ, agree with your call to bid adios.

The tragedy is I have such a contrasting ownership experience - 2014 car, great servicing experience - the only failure so far has been a left rear ABS sensor - replaced under warranty. Even the original battery is going strong! This inconsistency sucks.

In other news, replaced Alnacs with Perfinzas 195/60 R15s. I've only upgraded my cars to Michelin and Continentals so far. And I’m extremely happy with the quality of the tyre. More details here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4458581 (VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 16:01   #5463
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I will be taking delivery of the GT TSI coming Sunday. Given that the car will come with 2+3 Yr warranty, I wouldn't like to tamper much with electrical or mechanicals. However I feel the OEM Apollo's are pathetic and would like to change them. Also I have read multiple threads on how the lights are insufficient and the horns are bleak.

Hence request help on the following:
  • Tyre replace - Which will be a good tyre to move to given I would like to have ride comfort and less road noise.
  • Headlamp Bulbs - What options to look at without voiding warranty
  • Horn - Replacing the single horn with double Skoda type horn.
Thanks in advance!
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 16:16   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Folks, I will be taking delivery of the GT TSI coming Sunday.
Congratulations!

Quote:
[*]Tyre replace - Which will be a good tyre to move to given I would like to have ride comfort and less road noise.
Michelin P3ST is the most preferred tyre by GT TSI Owners. if you are ok to spend more, then Michelin P4ST will also be good

Quote:
[*]Headlamp Bulbs - What options to look at without voiding warranty
Osram Night breaker Laser or Philips extreme vision

Quote:
[*]Horn - Replacing the single horn with double Skoda type horn.
Get it done by the dealer himself.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 18:01   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Horn - Replacing the single horn with double Skoda type horn.[/list]Thanks in advance!

Our cars have high pitch tone near left fog light. There is a provision to add another horn near right fog lamp. Ask dealer to install low tone for polo. Its plug and play genuine vw, will cost around 1400 bucks. Trust me after adding low pitch, the horn sounds amazing.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 18:55   #5466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
... Trust me after adding low pitch, the horn sounds amazing.
Like the old Polo did!

I always mean to get it done on my current car but always forget. The only time I asked, the service advisor told me that it was illegal. I have a suspicion he could be right, but I seem to be the only person on Team-BHP that was ever refused the second horn!

Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 19:48   #5467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, I will be taking delivery of the GT TSI coming Sunday.
Hence request help on the following:
  • Tyre replace - Which will be a good tyre to move to given I would like to have ride comfort and less road noise.
  • Headlamp Bulbs - What options to look at without voiding warranty
  • Horn - Replacing the single horn with double Skoda type horn.
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Congratulations!
Michelin P3ST is the most preferred tyre by GT TSI Owners. if you are ok to spend more, then Michelin P4ST will also be good
In addition to the tyres, I would very strongly recommend you spring for the armrest! It's an absolute necessity, in my opinion. And don't get the terrible dealer armrest. Look for the OEM armrest from the GTI. You should get it at Pete's or Autopsyche.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:48   #5468
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre replace - Which will be a good tyre to move to given I would like to have ride comfort and less road noise.
I recently got the Michelin P3STs (195/60 R15), and am very happy with them. Please check if there is a Reliance AutoZone in your neighborhood. They have a tie-up with Michelin, and gave me a great deal.

Quote:
Headlamp Bulbs - What options to look at without voiding warranty
Have purchased a pair of Osram NB Laser, but am yet to install them.

Quote:
Horn - Replacing the single horn with double Skoda type horn.
Happy with the stock horn. With the GT TSI, you don't honk. You just overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And don't get the terrible dealer armrest. Look for the OEM armrest from the GTI. You should get it at Pete's or Autopsyche.
It is amazing how I always get the inputs I am looking for on Team BHP even without asking. I bought a used GT TSI last month, and have been wanting to buy the armrest. Thought I had two options: AliExpress or VW Authorized. Heard a couple of complaints here about rattling, and was confused. Good to know about this option #3.

What will be the damages?

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 11th September 2018 at 10:53.
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 19:08   #5469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
It is amazing how I always get the inputs I am looking for on Team BHP even without asking. I bought a used GT TSI last month, and have been wanting to buy the armrest. Thought I had two options: AliExpress or VW Authorized. Heard a couple of complaints here about rattling, and was confused. Good to know about this option #3.
I had to shell out a princely sum of Rs. 11,500/- for the armrest, apart from driving all the way to Varthur from MG Road whilst negotiating some of the worst traffic ever in a 2 day old white car!

I've had the car for 3 years, and it looks like the armrest was designed for the car! It's extremely durable and sturdy while most Polos I know with the VW dealer armrests and AliExpress armrests (in the range of 6k to 8k) are either partially or fully broken!
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 11:57   #5470
Distinguished - BHPian

Believe it or not, I have not yet test-driven this car! I already own a Octy TSI and keep wondering which would 'feel' better in BLR city traffic. I will leave the highway runs out of it totally :-)

Any experiences from anyone who has driven back-to-back?
Old 14th September 2018, 07:56   #5471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Believe it or not, I have not yet test-driven this car! I already own a Octy TSI and keep wondering which would 'feel' better in BLR city traffic. I will leave the highway runs out of it totally :-)

I drove the Octy 1.8TSI and the GT back to back. Believe me, in the city, the GT feels almost as fast as the Octy. You cannot throw the Octy around as you can the GT and it feels nimble as well.
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 08:45   #5472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

We own both cars, and if I were to keep it short, I'd say the Octavia is definitely the faster and more accomplished car in terms of power and performance. But the Polo is an excellent city car thanks to its size. Off the line and up to 80 km/h, the Polo is quick enough for most people. In fact, it feels almost as quick as the Octavia! And it's quite chuck-able especially around tight city streets.

Also, the Polo's throttle response is slightly better than the Octavia at lower speeds and feels less laggy. But that also depends on how you've been driving and how the gearbox responds to your inputs as it tends to learn on the go.

Whilst the Octavia requires minimal effort to get really going, the Polo will require you to wring it by its neck. On the open road, the Polo can feel strained if pushed hard, but in the Octavia you 'feel' the reserves of power available to you while making similar progress.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th September 2018 at 08:49.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 09:52   #5473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post

All in all, the DQ200 seems to be a lottery - I've read about people clocking 50k km without issues, while I’ve had to have the clutch on mine replaced at 20k km after literally babying the gearbox by shifting to N at traffic lights, and not keep my foot on the brake for more than 15 seconds continuously while in D. I don't know if it was the tampering by VW Whitefield that caused this (were they swapping my clutch for a defective one?) or purely my getting a unit with a propensity for failure. It is this kind of suspicion and doubt that I find highly annoying, and from a company that ignored my complaints while being embroiled in faking emission levels.

While the GT TSi driving experience is unmatched for refinement and thrill, the peace of mind I have lost worrying about an imminent failure and the gaping hole it would burn in my pocket just isn’t it worth it anymore for me. I’d prefer to drive a car that is more reliable and backed by a more trustworthy service infrastructure.

Horrendous experience you have gone through my friend and rightly said, the thought of DSG failure is constantly at the back of my head too. i drive the 2014 GT TSi. Touchwood - Clocked 34000kms without a niggle/issue. But such posts force me to think of selling the car much earlier than what i had initially thought. I now plan to bump this car off as soon as the extended warranty expires.

No other car in this segment will ever be able to match the thrill of the TSI+DSG combo. Hence might sell this off only to buy a new one for another 4 years!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th September 2018 at 10:00. Reason: 2 smileys per post please.
RJ2285 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:29   #5474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hence might sell this off only to buy a new one for another 4 years!
Now that the 7-year warranty is available, what stops you from keeping the car for up to 7 years?
Old 14th September 2018, 14:55   #5475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
I need help from you guys, will the ride quality get better? Do I need to be patient?
To clarify, a tire upgrade would not have a pronounced effect wrt. the ride quality. Even though the P3ST has a slightly taller sidewall, it will not compensate for road undulations to the extent that you are expecting it to.

Ride quality is what a suspension is for. And if you've invested in a B6, which should be adjustable, try playing around with the settings till you find what you're looking for. If the B6 suspension is tuned for highway runs, it will feel stiff in city conditions where the roads are bad.
It's best to tune the B6 for city runs instead - keep it at the softest setting (least preload).

Quote:
[list][*]Tyre replace - Which will be a good tyre to move to given I would like to have ride comfort and less road noise.
Michelin P3ST R16 - do keep in mind that P3ST R16 is quite expensive.

Quote:
[*]Headlamp Bulbs - What options to look at without voiding warranty
Having modded my headlights to Morimoto HIDs with Projectors, I can tell you with certainty that changing bulbs in a reflector setup has no advantages whatsoever. The increased luminosity of the bulb will only result in increased refraction of the beam, with a marginal improvement in visibility and focus.

Also, it blinds oncoming drivers. So it's also a safety hazard and a general annoyance.

Instead, please consider investing in a competent HID projector setup.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks