Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2018, 15:02   #5476
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Now that the 7-year warranty is available, what stops you from keeping the car for up to 7 years?
The fear of a breakdown on the highway outside Mumbai in the midst of a long drive with my wife and 3 year old kiddo
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 09:24   #5477
BHPian

So I have been exchanging emails with Ross from TDC Automotive for the last 2-3 days about buying the Bilstein B6 kit. When I told him about my use case (mostly city driving, bad roads), he suggested the Koni Special Active as an alternative. It is a new model being sold since June 2018, and incorporates Koni's FSD technology. It is the same price as the B6.

Has anyone else on this forum evaluated these? I have a few questions:
  1. These seem technologically advanced. Will they be as sturdy and reliable as the B6?
  2. FSD has been around for a bit now. How does it perform on our infamous Indian roads?
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I had to shell out a princely sum of Rs. 11,500/- for the armrest
Spoke to Shibin yesterday, and he told me that they've stopped selling the armrest because demand dropped after VW started selling it too. The is a world of difference between the two when it comes to quality, but VW sells it at a little more than half the price that Pete's used to sell the GTI armrest for.

Can anyone help me source the original GTI armrest?

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 15th September 2018 at 09:34.
Old 17th September 2018, 11:01   #5478
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday took delivery of the Polo GT and have driven about 70Kms or so since today morning. First impressions:
  1. The D mode seems to be absolutely mad. It upshifts at 1500-1700rpm thereby making the car feel sluggish.
  2. I have been receiving about 10.5kmpl in D mode. This will improve right?
  3. What is the idling rpm ? Today morning during the cold start after the initial high revs, it settled to around 800rpm mark. However during a drive when the engine is sufficiently warmed up, I stop and put the transmissioN in P mode, the rev counter is closer to 1000 rpm. Isn't it high? should I be worried?
  4. The S mode seems to give better mileage than D.
  5. The car came with MRF ZVTV. Are they passable or absolute rubbish? I haven't felt anything as the car hasn't been put to its paces yet.
  6. What is the ideal tyre pressure on the 195/55 R16. Manual says 36 on front and 33 on rear. What do you guys keep.
  7. The headlight throw seems ok but I want to change the bulb. What bulbs do I need to change? Both bulb sets or only 1 set.
Thanks in advance.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 12:08   #5479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
[*]The D mode seems to be absolutely mad. It upshifts at 1500-1700rpm thereby making the car feel sluggish.
the GB learns on the go to your driving style.
1. if this is your first AT, your right foot control will improve over time. unknowingly you may be depressing A pedal too much.
2. if the driver keeps on changing, it acts indifferently.
Bottomline...give it some time

Quote:
[*]I have been receiving about 10.5kmpl in D mode. This will improve right?
should improve over time again. also depending on the traffic conditions and your driving style, the car will give anywhere between 9.5kmpl to 13kmpl in city and 11kmpl to 17kmpl on highway

Quote:
[*]What is the idling rpm ? Today morning during the cold start after the initial high revs, it settled to around 800rpm mark. However during a drive when the engine is sufficiently warmed up, I stop and put the transmissioN in P mode, the rev counter is closer to 1000 rpm. Isn't it high? should I be worried?
Cold starts will see 1100rpm which will eventually settle to 800rpm in couple of minutes. Once the engine reaches the 90°C mark, it stays at 800rpm.

Quote:
[*]The S mode seems to give better mileage than D.
Depends on your A pedal input. With the same kind of A pedal input, S mode will give lesser FE always.

Quote:
[*]The car came with MRF ZVTV. Are they passable or absolute rubbish? I haven't felt anything as the car hasn't been put to its paces yet.
Again depends on your expectations. its anywhere between decent to rubbish.

Quote:
[*]What is the ideal tyre pressure on the 195/55 R16. Manual says 36 on front and 33 on rear. What do you guys keep.
I keep the pressure of 34psi all round

Quote:
[*]The headlight throw seems ok but I want to change the bulb. What bulbs do I need to change? Both bulb sets or only 1 set.
I had replied to your last post with the suggested brand of the bulb. you need 2 sets of H7 (1 for low beam and 1 for high beam)
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 12:33   #5480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

I had replied to your last post with the suggested brand of the bulb. you need 2 sets of H7 (1 for low beam and 1 for high beam)
Thanks a ton for the responses.

Wasn't sure whether H7 or H4 and that is what was confusing me. I thought one headlight bulb was a H4 since it had both highbeam and dipper.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:55   #5481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday took delivery of the Polo GT and have driven about 70Kms or so since today morning. First impressions:
  1. The car came with MRF ZVTV. Are they passable or absolute rubbish? I haven't felt anything as the car hasn't been put to its paces yet.
  2. What is the ideal tyre pressure on the 195/55 R16. Manual says 36 on front and 33 on rear. What do you guys keep.
Thanks in advance.
RUBBISH. Shift to SAME SIZE rubber from a more competent brand. MRF makes good tires in it's higher range. The ZVTV, though, is not worth a mention.

Quote:
The headlight throw seems ok but I want to change the bulb. What bulbs do I need to change? Both bulb sets or only 1 set.
The ACHILLES' heel in the Polo. Shift to LED headlights, or buy aftermarket projector lights with good quality HID bulbs.

Last edited by navin : 18th September 2018 at 12:09. Reason: formatting and quote was off.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 13:16   #5482
BHPian

Thinking about upgrading to the current Polo GT TSi from an early 2015 model that I drive. Wondering if this year's updates have already been launched? Seems like every year we see them upgrading/tweaking the equipment list. Does anyone have any info?
Old 17th September 2018, 13:33   #5483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
Thinking about upgrading to the current Polo GT TSi from an early 2015 model that I drive. Wondering if this year's updates have already been launched? Seems like every year we see them upgrading/tweaking the equipment list. Does anyone have any info?
If I were you, I wouldn't do that. Even if you do not want any other car and you really want the GT TSI only, I would suggest you to continue with this car (PQ25 platform) for couple of years more when the new generation MQB A0 platform Polo comes in. This will happen most likely in the beginning of 2021. By that time your car will be 6yrs old and is an ideal time to replace.
Old 17th September 2018, 13:39   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't do that. Even if you do not want any other car and you really want the GT TSI only, I would suggest you to continue with this car (PQ25 platform) for couple of years more when the new generation MQB A0 platform Polo comes in. This will happen most likely in the beginning of 2021. By that time your car will be 6yrs old and is an ideal time to replace.
Thanks, yes around 5-6 years would be a good time to sell, usually.

But do you have any info on the upgrades due anytime soon on the current platform?
Old 17th September 2018, 14:42   #5485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Posting this for the reference of all VW owners in BLR, as well as GT TSi owners who're concerned about their DSGs. Originally posted this on another thread about the DSG failures.

A year later, technicians at VW Palace Cross (Hesaraghatta branch) were unable to diagnose the issue (or so they told me) and finally when I took it to VW North Bangalore this year, they kept the car for a month (causing me tremendous inconvenience that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy) and finally replaced the multi-clutch which apparently costs 1.1Lakh. .
This is the exact thing that happened to me as well. The clutch was making a sound and from what I understood it made the sound only when it was driven for about 40+ mins and when the outside temperature was high.

What worked for me is that I captured the sound in the video, also included the VIN, Car Number Plate and the speedo in the same sequence. Eventually as well service guy was never able to recreate the issue but sent my video to VW and got an approval for warranty replacement. I love the car but I don't see myself keeping it for more than 4 years i.e. when the extended warranty runs out.

Question: Do you guys know if I can extend the extended warranty to 5 or 7 years from the current 4 years. My regular warranty period has expired and now I am in the extended warranty period for the past 6 months.
Old 17th September 2018, 14:56   #5486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Question: Do you guys know if I can extend the extended warranty to 5 or 7 years from the current 4 years. My regular warranty period has expired and now I am in the extended warranty period for the past 6 months.
VW now offers add-on warranty (one year at a time) up to 7 years. You can find all the details in this thread itself if you go back 2-3 pages.
Old 18th September 2018, 00:17   #5487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
VW now offers add-on warranty (one year at a time) up to 7 years.
Has anyone done the maths: how much you would spend on the warranty extension v how much you might save on an expensive part?
Old 18th September 2018, 11:10   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Has anyone done the maths: how much you would spend on the warranty extension v how much you might save on an expensive part?
At ~13k for the 5th and 6th years, and ~15k for the 7th and 8th years, it's a no-brainer if you have the DSG.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VW-Extended-Warranty-RSA.pdf (200.1 KB, 236 views)
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:46   #5489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My Vento TSI is approaching 5 years and 50K km. The Add On warranty per year is ~20K if I take it now. So 40k for 2 years.

It is expensive, but considering the cost of a DSG failure and the fact that the 6th/7th year and the ~60k range is when the DSG failure probability can increase, I personally think it is worth it and will be taking this Add On warranty.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:02   #5490
BHPian

I have just moved base to Mumbai from Bangalore. Mumbaikar TSI owners, can you suggest a good dealer for servicing my GT TSI? I'm looking for VW service and not any 3rd party centre as my car is less than a year old. I live in Andheri, so a good ASS in the suburbs would be preferable, but don't mind traveling a bit for good service support.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks