Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 08:53   #5626
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Friends, While driving with windows down, I've had been hearing sound like of 'gas leak' from front shocks when passing over speed breakers for instance; first when the tire touches the hump on approach and then when it hits back the road. No such sound on my friend's Vento though.

While there's no performance impact i.e. damping is good, no squeaking sound nor poor braking, it's a worry to my OCD brain. What could it be and further pointers please?
As far as I am aware, this hissing sound is that of the gas filled shock absorbers working to absorb the impact of passing over the speed breakers and minimising the pass-through of the impact to the passenger cabin. The same sound is present in my Swift under the same circumstances (i.e. passing over a speed breaker).
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:43   #5627
Distinguished - BHPian

https://indianautosblog.com/with-fac...tiated-p315314
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2019volkswagenpolofaceliftrenderingimages.jpg

Hope they also upgrade and improve the durability of the braking components. If I understand correctly from the reviews here, that will be the icing on the cake.

Extract: Copyright IAB!
With the upcoming facelift though, the GT TSI variant is likely to benefit from a sportier grille, larger alloy wheels, side skirts, and LED elements in the headlights and taillights. Both variants, however, are expected with new bumpers, redesigned headlight clusters and taillight patterns (bringing them inline with the international sixth generation Polo).

Inside too, VW India may opt for a sportier theme on the facelifted Polo GT TSI, possibly including the characteristic Tartan seat upholstery, contrast stitching for the steering wheel cover and highlighted door sills.

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:31.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:58   #5628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Hope they also upgrade and improve the durability of the braking components. If I understand correctly from the reviews here, that will be the icing on the cake.
What an idea sirji! Pick up design elements from the latest new gen Polo and plaster it on the old platform's face and flog it for some more time.

Can't really blame VW either. The stupid 4m rule is denying us the new gen Polo.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:23   #5629
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
As far as I am aware, this hissing sound is that of the gas filled shock absorbers working to absorb the impact of passing over the speed breakers and minimising the pass-through of the impact to the passenger cabin. The same sound is present in my Swift under the same circumstances (i.e. passing over a speed breaker).
The same sound could be found while opening the hatch as a result of the gas struts expansion. As you said it is a normal phenomenon when the suspension is working.
Old 20th December 2018, 00:03   #5630
BHPian

I got the 75000 km service done today. Actual km reading 37500. I got the service done at VW Autobahn, Ram Mandir, Mumbai. My car is a December 2014 Model.(Continues to drive like a dream!)

Thank you @TheLizardKing for helping me with the reference of SA Mr. Afnan. He was very helpful and since i gave him TheLizardKing's reference just meant that all the unwanted items like brake cleaning, wheel balancing/alignment etc. did not make its way to the final invoice.

I was charged INR 11,714/- including taxes.

I had requested tge SA to inspect the front suspension as i could hear squeaks whenever i took the car over a speed breaker. To that, the SA initially shared that its a common problem and should be fine after service with lubrication.

However, on inspection, i get a call after 5 hours that the shock absorbers need to be replaced along with the steering rack assembly. He said that the steering rack assembly is covered under the addon warranty but i will have to bear the cost of replacing the shock absorbers and he quoted INR 35,000/- for the same. To my surprise, he said that they will be in a position to replace the steering rack assembly only next month as its covered under the addon warranty.

Fearing that I dont end up being part of a scam, I told him to undertake regular service and that I will get back to him on suspension repair work.

In 2 minds now, whether to get it replaced through VW Autobahn or to get another quote from FNG and then decide.

Need your views. Please suggest.

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:32. Reason: Typo
RJ2285 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 00:15   #5631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Add improvement of suspension too! Are they seriously expecting the normal Polo suspension to cope with the 1.2TSI power and resultant stresses?!
Old 20th December 2018, 19:05   #5632
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, While driving with windows down, I've had been hearing sound like of 'gas leak' from front shocks when passing over speed breakers for instance; first when the tire touches the hump on approach and then when it hits back the road. No such sound on my friend's Vento though.

While there's no performance impact i.e. damping is good, no squeaking sound nor poor braking, it's a worry to my OCD brain. What could it be and further pointers please?
Common, had the same observation when I got the car 4 years back. The Polo's struts and shocks are very 'hissy' - for instance, my Baleno is almost silent. However, doesn't impact the working.

Incidentally, with my replacement B6s, the noise is completely gone.
Old 22nd December 2018, 20:44   #5633
BHPian

Quote:

The shocks are not gas based as Gabriel couldn't add a bit of nitrogen in the front. It is not an issue though highly irritating considering the "premium" position of the car.

The phenomenon is due to the restriction in the flow which happens when the damper movement is in a particular speed band - Too slow - fluid pases perfectly laminar- no hissing sound; too fast- the fluid bends the internal valves -no sound

Most maruti vehicles have gas filled shocks hence cant hear the sounds of aeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post

In 2 minds now, whether to get it replaced through VW Autobahn or to get another quote from FNG and then decide.

Need your views. Please suggest.
Had my 5th year (ODO has only 60 k due to a relaxed year) servicing done.

Considering the rough terrain I have driven in, there were noises which I could hear from the front.

Did a detailed inspection and had the following observations:

1. Lower arms rear bushes had torn leading to play-Replaced the lower arm assembly.
2. There is very minor play in the Inner balljoint of the steering. no major vibrations on the steering vibrations (after the service)- will check /replace in case fo major deterioration
3. Rear PU bump stoppers gone- got them replaced
4. Brake pads- had a thin layer on them- got them replaced around 5 k km in advance to avoid immediate service
5. Had a vertical play in the FRRH wheel- Found the strut top mount to be deteriorated and replaced.

Dampers had no leaks and hence did not replace

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 24th December 2018, 12:09   #5634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post

Considering the rough terrain I have driven in, there were noises which I could hear from the front.

Did a detailed inspection and had the following observations:

1. Lower arms rear bushes had torn leading to play-Replaced the lower arm assembly.
2. There is very minor play in the Inner balljoint of the steering. no major vibrations on the steering vibrations (after the service)- will check /replace in case fo major deterioration
Hey, would you mind sharing the cost estimate for the above? I want to get mine inspected in the next service due, as I hear some noise from the front left suspension over bad surfaces.
Old 24th December 2018, 15:48   #5635
BHPian

So after a trouble-free run since I bought her in July, the first gremlin has turned up in my 2015 pre-worshipped GT TSI. The car keeps losing coolant, and the reservoir empties every 10 days. The VW Goregaon workshop says that the secondary radiator is leaking, and of course it is not covered under extended warranty. The cost of the part is Rs 10,500.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any help will be appreciated. I have this feeling that the leakage is from a joint and not the radiator itself. Can anyone recommend a competent FNG?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th December 2018, 16:30   #5636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
So after a trouble-free run since I bought her in July, the first gremlin has turned up in my 2015 pre-worshipped GT TSI. The car keeps losing coolant, and the reservoir empties every 10 days. The VW Goregaon workshop says that the secondary radiator is leaking, and of course it is not covered under extended warranty. The cost of the part is Rs 10,500.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any help will be appreciated. I have this feeling that the leakage is from a joint and not the radiator itself. Can anyone recommend a competent FNG?

Thanks in advance.
Are the front carpets getting wet too? That's a classic sign of heater core leak which is covered under extended warranty.

Are you able to visually spot where it is leaking from?
Old 24th December 2018, 17:15   #5637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What an idea sirji! Pick up design elements from the latest new gen Polo and plaster it on the old platform's face and flog it for some more time.

Can't really blame VW either. The stupid 4m rule is denying us the new gen Polo.
Oh wow, is that why we aren’t getting the new Polo?
Old 24th December 2018, 21:58   #5638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Are the front carpets getting wet too? That's a classic sign of heater core leak which is covered under extended warranty.

Are you able to visually spot where it is leaking from?
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think it is the heater core. It has been checked at both VW and an FNG, and it's definitely one of the heat exchangers. They put the car up on the lift at the FNG, and we could see leakage from the intercooler. But VW insists it is the secondary radiator.
Old 25th December 2018, 02:00   #5639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think it is the heater core. It has been checked at both VW and an FNG, and it's definitely one of the heat exchangers. They put the car up on the lift at the FNG, and we could see leakage from the intercooler. But VW insists it is the secondary radiator.
You could try visiting another VW centre? If that fails, you could use Abro Stop Leak or some other brand's radiator stop leak. It works for minor cracks and can last a good while. At worst, it's a waste of 400 bucks and does nothing for you.

However, do consider writing to VW and escalating the matter.
Old 25th December 2018, 11:02   #5640
BHPian

Just crossed Completed 40K on my Oct 2015 GT TSI.

A big chunk of this has been on highway esp. with cruise control on MPEW.

I hate driving in traffic. I use my trusty bicycle to run nearby errands and also use the bicycle for alternate day office commutes.

The only complaint I have is the brakes. VW should upgrade the brakes on this thing. The car flies but doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when stopping.

The brakes actually work well and I had ABS kick in only a couple of times in all these 40K !! But the brake feel is average.

I have upgraded to Brembo pads at 35K. Things are much better now.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th December 2018 at 19:55. Reason: Formatting
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed