Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:39   #5716
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealStig View Post
Won't it result in failing your regular smoke test for obtaining PUC?
It will, for obvious reasons but obtaining PUC is an easy task these days.

Last time I went to get one for my alto 800, he simply captured an image of the car and printed the certificate without even touching the probe.

P.S: I'm not encouraging to get fake PUCs but this is how it's being done these days, at least in AP.
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:50   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
just got the decat done for my TSi. The power difference is in-explainable as the car is much free revving with smoother acceleration. Not to forget the MID shows i get a mileage of 14 and then 16 which ive never got so far for my normal commute. The best i used to get was 11.
Removing the catalytic converter causes pollution. There has been a lot talked about VW dieselgate here. If people are willing to pollute the environment and if the regular emission checks are not enforced, why should VW or any other manufacturer be penalised? Shouldn't we be responsible citizens?
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:24   #5718
BHPian

Trivandrum is probably still very clean in terms of air pollution. I hope this bypass thingy does not become popular in Delhi NCR. I wish nobody knows about it around here. In fact selling it should be made illegal.
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:30   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Reading all this about byepassing catcon makes me hope that the changeover to electric is faster.

P.S: EVs have higher efficiency and better power delivery, something that an ICE cannot do.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 01:19. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:12   #5720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Ok. Thanks .
Won't this add to pollution ?
What about it's legal aspect?
More on this topic is in the thread below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...its-worth.html (Removing a Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) - Do you guys think its worth it?)

Quote:
All free flow exhausts bye pass the cat for exhaust flow. Yes its technically illegal from the emission point of view
Leaving legal/environmental side of it, that new pipe looks very neatly made.
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:42   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
just got the decat done for my TSi. The power difference is in-explainable as the car is much free revving with smoother acceleration. Not to forget the MID shows i get a mileage of 14 and then 16 which ive never got so far for my normal commute. The best i used to get was 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Removing the catalytic converter causes pollution. There has been a lot talked about VW dieselgate here. If people are willing to pollute the environment and if the regular emission checks are not enforced, why should VW or any other manufacturer be penalised? Shouldn't we be responsible citizens?

Well, if he is getting better mileage, isn't he saving fuel and thus saving the environment?
Old 23rd January 2019, 22:20   #5722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Well, if he is getting better mileage, isn't he saving fuel and thus saving the environment?
I hope the supreme court and NGT are in agreement.
Old 24th January 2019, 02:08   #5723

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
The intention of catalytic converters is to reduce NOx, CO and hydro carbon particulates that can lead to adverse health issues. No emission norms require higher mileage figures but some markets like NAFTA impose carbon tax to encourage OEMs to target less CO2 emissions. So improving mileage takes a back seat when it comes to reducing emissions and actually saving the environment.
TheRealStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:54   #5724
BHPian

Swapped out the OEM ORVMs with Anti-glare Mirrors

Introduction

Thanks to the increasing number of 2 and 4 wheelers who "upgrade" their lights and/or feel the need for "cool" aux lights, my daily evening commute has become a struggle for my poor eyes. So ever since I read about this mod, I have been wanting to do it. I struggled with finding the correct size and variant, and after exchanging pictures and dimensions with a seller on AliExpress, bought these (Color: 2013) for $40 (free shipping).

Buying Experience

The seller (Landascend Car Accessories) was very cooperative, and promptly replied to all my queries. Delivery to Mumbai took 19 days. No customs duty was charged. The items were well-packed in many layers of bubble wrap, and are of good quality.

Installation

It was a DIY job, and contrary to the videos I found online, the OEM mirrors gave me a really hard time coming off their clips. I broke a couple of clips on the first one and was really unhappy about that, until this happened with the other one:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-broken_oem_mirror.jpg

Please be mindful of my experience if you are planning this mod. Installing the anti-glare mirrors is the easiest part. You just need to press down till all the clips lock into place.

Pros
  1. This is subjective, but the blue tint of the anti-glare mirrors lends a premium feel of the car. My wife agrees.
  2. Since they are aspherical, the anti-glare mirrors provide a wider range of vision than the OEM mirrors.
  3. I got a good chance to evaluate the anti-glare capability of the mirrors thanks to a car that followed me with high beams on for almost 10 minutes the very evening I installed them, and the difference is h-u-g-e compared to the OEM mirrors. While I would have cursed and sworn at the driver of the other car earlier, I just carried on driving with a serene smile on my face now.
  4. The difference in visibility is negligible compared to the OEM mirrors. While I feel that the visibility of objects in the anti-glare mirrors is slightly lesser than in the OEM mirrors, especially in the dark, it is definitely not bad enough to be a safety hazard.

Cons
  1. Since they are aspherical, they cause more distortion than the OEM mirrors. The distortion increases as the object gets closer to the mirror. But the distortion does not affect the perceived distance, hence it is not a safety hazard. Just something that will take a few days to get used to.
  2. I miss the 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR' warning.

Leaving you with a picture.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-antiglare_orvmirrors.jpg

Next Steps

I have procured the OEM ECM IRVM kit for the Jetta from AliExpress, and will be installing it soon.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 24th January 2019 at 13:59.
TheLizardKing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:12   #5725
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swapped out the OEM ORVMs with Anti-glare Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Introduction

Leaving you with a picture.

Attachment 1840412

Next Steps

I have procured the OEM ECM IRVM kit for the Jetta from AliExpress, and will be installing it soon.
I had a combo of these 2, and I can safely say that you will love driving at night.

The IRVM is BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 14:13. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 16:49   #5726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Introduction

Thanks to the increasing number of 2 and 4 wheelers who "upgrade" their lights and/or feel the need for "cool" aux lights, my daily evening commute has become a struggle for my poor eyes. So ever since I read about this mod, I have been wanting to do it. I struggled with finding the correct size and variant, and after exchanging pictures and dimensions with a seller on AliExpress, bought these (Color: 2013) for $40 (free shipping).

Many thanks for the update and product info. Must say the mirrors look great and are definitely interested in getting a pair for myself.

Please could you confirm which year your GT is from? I have a 2016 model and wondering if the 2013 mirrors would work for me as well? Did you have to change the holders as well? (The product listing shows the mirrors and the holders)

Also, how did you try removing the original mirrors? Any tips when removing to minimise chances of damage?

Thanks again.
Old 24th January 2019, 17:00   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Please could you confirm which year your GT is from? I have a 2016 model and wondering if the 2013 mirrors would work for me as well? Did you have to change the holders as well? (The product listing shows the mirrors and the holders)

Also, how did you try removing the original mirrors? Any tips when removing to minimise chances of damage?

Thanks again.
Mine is a 2015 model. I'm not sure what holder you're referring to. If you mean the plastic mount at the back, it's stuck to the mirror. Also, the year option on AliExpress corresponds to the Polo sold in China. Your best bet is to take pictures and measurements, and confirm with the seller.

The mirrors are supposed to come off by hand. You use the adjustment mechanism to get the outer edge as far out as possible and slip your fingers in behind the mirror to pry it out. Didn't work out so great for me.

Good luck.
Old 27th January 2019, 20:26   #5728
BHPian

Seem to be having a peculiar issue with some mild clunking sound coming from either the front suspension even on supposedly smooth roads with minor undulations. It is most audible in the mornings on the first start and then dies down when the car is used later in the day.

Once the car sits idle for a couple of hours the mild clunking comes back. I took it to VW Service and they refused to acknowledge the sound saying its 'normal'.

I don't think its normal and any tips pointing to what I can get diagnosed would be greatly appreciated. Car has done just 21500kms on good roads.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2019, 13:48   #5729
BHPian

Guys,
I just heard from my A.S.S. regarding extended warranty. There seems to be a 7k discount for this week on 2+3 years EW. Not sure if this is nationwide, or just the dealers in Mumbai.
I think it would be a good time to go for your EW even if your standard warranty is active.
Old 29th January 2019, 18:26   #5730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Once the car sits idle for a couple of hours the mild clunking comes back. I took it to VW Service and they refused to acknowledge the sound saying its 'normal'.
Most VW authorized workshops will refuse to acknowledge problems that are not profitable for them to solve. Take it to another workshop if there is one in your city. I had a similar problem with my brand new struts, and it was resolved after the strut nuts were re-torqued.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed