Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 16:43   #5836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Friends how does the MID works in TSI. I am unable to see much options there. How to check instantaneous fuel efficiency.
The options of the MID can be accessed by the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. Up and down arrows circularly toggles between the options - pretty straight forward. The right and left arrows on either side of the OK button toggles between figures of trip meter 1 and trip meter. see below pictures

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dsc_9043.jpg
Right side buttons

Name:  midgif.gif
Views: 3777
Size:  1.85 MB
Options

Quoting more from my ownership review here (We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me)
Quote:
Now for the MID. It is split into 3 areas but two horizontal airlines. The bottom most has a permanent digital fuel level gauge. there is a arrow pointing right showing the petrol lid location...nice! Just above that is the ODO reading. When you set the trip or you have a service reminder, it is displayed here. I would've preferred a permanent ODO display too. With the up-down arrows on the steering, In the LCD display, I can toggle between some indicators like DTE, Engine temperature, avg speed, drive time, Ambient temperature, speed limit, Speed. The top most section has a time display and the current mode and gear

Things I disliked about the MID:
It does not have any wordings of what it is showing and only digits and symbols. People new to cars will find it hard to understand what is what.
It doesn’t display the date anywhere. Not good for people taking photos for stats (like me). You should take it from the metadata of the photograph.
It cannot display date in 24hr format. I’m comfortable with 24h format. But this cluster cannot display that. Seriously!
It has only one trip meter and trip details like FE and trip drive time and avg speed kinds aren’t available. My 7 year old Punto had all these!
Quote:
The distance to empty is showing wrong readings every time. After a tank full it was showing 330km and post driving 30-40 kms it has increased to 350kms. What is the actual range after tankful for other members. Refer below pic after tankful.
DTE is an estimation and depends on the immediate previous instantaneous FE. suppose you are driving spiritedly and the FE is low, and you fill the tank, DTE will be low too. After filling if you are driving economically, it'll extrapolate and increases the DTE. That's exactly what's happening in your case. DTE in all cars work like this. it's only a guideline and not to be taken exactly.
If you are driving economically and then after filling if you drive spiritedly, it drastically reduces also.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 18:12   #5837

Air conditioning in my 4.5 yrs old GT has stopped cooling the car since this morning. I paid a visit to the VW service center in Pune and got a technician to inspect the car. He checked for AC gas and found it alright and suspects some fault in the wiring. The blower is working but no cooling at all. Has anyone in the group faced a similar problem?
What could be the possible cause and how much would it cost me to get it back to normal?
Does anyone know of any other reliable AC repair workshop in Pune?
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:28   #5838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The options of the MID can be accessed by the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
Thanks this was exactly what I was looking for. For some point of time I thought there are no such provisions in this car and make sure to not confront anything in front of wifey. Can tell her today the various option available in MID.

Quote:
DTE is an estimation and depends on the immediate previous instantaneous FE. suppose you are driving spiritedly and the FE is low, and you fill the tank, DTE will be low too. After filling if you are driving economically, it'll extrapolate and increases the DTE. That's exactly what's happening in your case. DTE in all cars work like this. it's only a guideline and not to be taken exactly.
If you are driving economically and then after filling if you drive spiritedly, it drastically reduces also.
Can agree to some extent but the fluctuations are quite high. Is there any option to reset the average fuel economy figure. There is a provision in Endeavour where I can reset the average speed & fuel economy figures.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:40   #5839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Just get it from AliExpress! How can you not like this?
Thanks for the suggestion! How is the vinyl holding up now? Does it scratch easily when the car is being washed/wiped?
Old 18th February 2019, 19:03   #5840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can agree to some extent but the fluctuations are quite high. Is there any option to reset the average fuel economy figure.
Long press the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel and it will reset the trip parameters
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 22:22   #5841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
So this morning when I was about to leave for work, I get into the car with the usual routine - crank the engine, setup music, Aircon, etc. And right when I am about to slot into D, the brake pedal goes all the way in, ABS light is on - full time, which means not a small issue. Walked out of the car and there's a puddle near the front left wheel. The brake oil has leaked out it seems.

First thought - Rodents, but I have never had issues with rodents earlier. Now I had just got the car serviced at Mira road workshop, and had asked them to check the brakes as I felt a shudder at high speeds.

Question to you guys - could it really be that easy for a rodent to cut open the tubing? I know they bite the wiring, but would the tubing for brake fluid be a little more tough? Also I had 3M anti rodent treatment done.
Or, could the workshop have botched the job?

Lastly, how much would it cost to repair? I don't want to get ripped off by the workshop
I did a bit of research on this and turns out it's very rare for brake fluid to completely leak out overnight.

I had not felt any loss of pressure while driving after the service. I'm am also reluctant to believe that rodents could chew through the brake system hoses (enlighten me if I'm wrong here). Do note the brake system (fluid, rotor and pads) were inspected during the service just a week back. So my opinion is leaning towards a job not well done.

I'm getting the car towed tomorrow and would really appreciate any help from the experts on this forum.
Thanks.
Old 19th February 2019, 08:54   #5842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! How is the vinyl holding up now? Does it scratch easily when the car is being washed/wiped?
Holding up great - glossy, swirl-less, scratch-less. Nope, significantly thicker and tougher than the 3M wrap.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 09:14   #5843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phro View Post
Can you tell me more about this anti rodent thing and how much did it cost you?
Hi,
I don't remember exactly how much it costs. I got it done at the 6 month inspection. Should be around 500 + taxes if I'm not wrong.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 09:55   #5844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_SRK View Post
Air conditioning in my 4.5 yrs old GT has stopped cooling the car since this morning. I paid a visit to the VW service center in Pune and got a technician to inspect the car. He checked for AC gas and found it alright and suspects some fault in the wiring. The blower is working but no cooling at all. Has anyone in the group faced a similar problem?
What could be the possible cause and how much would it cost me to get it back to normal?
Thanks in advance.
Same age same problem - blower is working strong , but there's no cool air from the center vents. Side vents working fine. It's not a compressor issue . Did you get a solution ?

Last edited by Aditya : 19th February 2019 at 10:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 19th February 2019, 10:26   #5845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_SRK View Post
Thanks in advance.
I had a similar issue with the Jetta

Let engine idle, then switch on A/C, you should see the revvs drop, if not, then it is the a/c clutch that has failed. For my Jetta, it could be changed. Some cars like Mercedes , it is a sealed unit. Costs around Rs 8\9000.
If the revvs drop, it could point to a main pressure valve problem. Around Rs 5000. In my case, both these elements has to be changed.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 10:27   #5846
BHPian

Hey guys!

I'm in the market to buy to a hot hatch and I have narrowed it down to two options - Figo S and Polo GT TSI. And since I'm more inclined towards a petrol hatch, I've chosen to go with the Polo GT TSI, I already have a 2012 1.2 MPI Petrol and the experience has been a bliss. Nearest dealer provides good service as well so that has never been an issue for me (shocking!).

But as I did my research there is a lot of buzz about the facelift launch in first quarter of 2019.

Here is the link https://indianautosblog.com/2019-vol...celift-p313374

Since the next-gen Polo cannot be launched in India, launching a facelift makes sense for a decade old hatch design. Also there are hints of ditching the 1.2 TSI for 1.0 TSI with this facelift.

Can anyone please confirm this? Is it really the right time to buy the GT or wait?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2019 at 11:15. Reason: Spacing
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:25   #5847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
But as I did my research there is a lot of buzz about the facelift launch in first quarter of 2019.

Since the next-gen Polo cannot be launched in India, launching a facelift makes sense for a decade old hatch design. Also there are hints of ditching the 1.2 TSI for 1.0 TSI with this facelift.

Can anyone please confirm this? Is it really the right time to buy the GT or wait?
From my experience and understanding, I believe that there are two outcomes insofar as the 2019 Polo facelift is concerned:

1) VW this year may give the regular Polo a mild refresh by adding LED lights and a couple of other features to the top-level trims.

2) We could also expect a proper facelift (inside-out) to bring it in line with the design and styling of the new-gen Global Polo. This facelift may also come with one or two new engine options, including a downsized TSI engine, possibly the 1-litre 3-pot mill.

But seeing that there are no spy-shots of the car being tested in India, I have my reservations about a 2019 launch.

VAG is focusing on Skoda and small-SUVs in the immediate future. The new Polo, facelift or otherwise, is not priority for them.

As far as your conundrum is concerned, it purely depends on you. If you like new shiny things and cannot be caught dead driving a last-gen car, then you have to wait for the new (facelift) Polo. However, if you don't mind driving an older looking car keeping in mind that the mechanicals are likely to be similar / identical, I'd suggest you stick with the current Polo.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2019 at 11:26.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 12:40   #5848
Senior - BHPian

Recently I banged my car against a concrete bollard at a petrol pump. It was totally my mistake as I got a little absentminded leading to this mishap.

In this melee the rear driver side door has received some dent. Not sure if the dent can be fixed. or the whole panel will need to get replaced.

Any idea on how much the door costs?
Old 20th February 2019, 14:24   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Any idea on how much the door costs?
Found this list online.
https://www.cardekho.com/volkswagen-...arts-price.htm

Should be close enough to this.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:01   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I went straight to the tyre shop and swapped them out for Continental MC5s.

However, I would not recommend these tyres for the Polo GT TSI, as I feel (and I may be wrong) that they've contributed to premature wear of my car's suspension at 27,000 on the odo. I say "contributed" because the suspension itself is quite substandard in terms of quality, to begin with. The stiff sidewall would perhaps transmit the broken roads to the chassis without absorbing some of it. Add bad roads to the mix, and it's a deadly cocktail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Even my experience with MC5 is mixed. However, they are quite harsh and in bad roads at city speeds you can feel every pot hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
BTW, I went with a wildcard choice - MRF Perfinza and couldn't be happier. Most of my previous upgrades have been Michelins.
Guys, I have the same experience with the MC5s, really harsh ride on bad roads and speedbreakers. And, my back and mind are not happy about this.

Which one of the following would offer the best ride comfort & filter out bad roads?

Michelin XM2 195/55/R16
Yokohama BluEarth 195/55/R16
Yokohama Earth-1 195/55/R16

While upsizing may offer certain advantages, a wider 205 tyre is likely to make the car a bit slower & I don't need the extra grip at all. A taller sidewall profile of 60 is not used by VW in any of its global portfolio for 16" wheels and thus my reluctance. However, considering them anyway.

Michelin P3ST 195/60/R16 or 205/55/R16
MRF Perfinza 195/60/R16 or 205/55/R16

Last edited by ashwin489 : 21st February 2019 at 11:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks