Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 11:30   #5851
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Guys, I have the same experience with the MC5s, really harsh ride on bad roads and speedbreakers. And, my back and mind are not happy about this.
I think its not about the tyre, it about the 16 inch wheels on a car that should have had 15 inch for use on Indian roads.

I have 2015 GT, I was reasonably happy even with the stock Apollos, till they were new, and now the Machelin P3ST is extremely satisfying.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:37   #5852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I think its not about the tyre, it about the 16 inch wheels on a car that should have had 15 inch for use on Indian roads.

I have 2015 GT, I was reasonably happy even with the stock Apollos, till they were new, and now the Machelin P3ST is extremely satisfying.

A 15" may offer a better ride, but I was quite happy with the stock MRFs 16" ride quality. Hence, my conundrum with the continentals.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:40   #5853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, I have the same experience with the MC5s, really harsh ride on bad roads and speedbreakers. And, my back and mind are not happy about this.
My suggestion would be to stick to the stock size and choose which ever brand that is available. I've had XM2s on my Civic and the ride was pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

Disagree.

My car wears 15" wheels and I had upsized to 195/60 R15 Continental MC5s. I am unhappy with the ride quality. It appears that the tyres have hardened quite a bit and the ride consequently has gotten stiff to the point of being unbearable. I suspect it has also contributed to premature wear of my chassis that was unfortunately equipped with substandard Gabriel parts.

P.S. On an unrelated note, I finally spotted a GT TSI in Lapiz Blue and it's an absolute stunner! Photographs simply do not do it any justice! Wish I was in the market for the Polo today, I would have gotten this colour in a heartbeat!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2019 at 12:34. Reason: Typo. :)
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 16:43   #5854
BHPian

Purchased the Add-on warranty in December'18. Steering rack assembly had to be replaced under warranty. Car was given to VW Autobahn, Goregaon yesterday.

I was told i will get my car with the part replaced in 2 working days as internal approvals are required as part of the process for parts to be replaced under Add-on warranty.

I got a call this morning from SA Afnan informing me that my case has been rejected as they did not get an internal approval from Bajaj. On probing further i am told that VW has tied up with Bajaj for Add-on warranties and hence parts can be replaced subject to approval from Bajaj.

SA told me that my case was not approved as steering rack assembly had to be replaced in Jan. 2017, however the erstwhile owner did not replace it. To that, i gave him my piece of mind mentioning that either ways the part was covered under warranty, why would the erstwhile owner not replace it considering the replacement would have been FOC.

I have asked them for a refund of the amount i have paid as add-on warranty if they do not replace the part.

The Add-on warranty seems to be another scam by VW to lure prospective customers. I will keep this thread posted on further developments.
RJ2285 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:44   #5855
BHPian

Quote:
Which one of the following would offer the best ride comfort & filter out bad roads?

Michelin XM2 195/55/R16
Yokohama BluEarth 195/55/R16
Yokohama Earth-1 195/55/R16
I used the stock Apolo Alnacs which came with my 1.2 MPI Polo for quite long, the ride was harsh, steering feel was quite bad. I thought that's how it'll be with a german car on Indian roads (it was my first german car since).
I switched to Yoko Earth 1s 195/55/R16 along with MOMO Reds alloys and my options were the same as shortlisted by you around 2years back. I can definitely recommend Yoko Earth 1s easily anyday!
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 21:33   #5856
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My suggestion would be to stick to the stock size and choose which ever brand that is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
I switched to Yoko Earth 1s 195/55/R16. I can definitely recommend Yoko Earth 1s easily anyday!
Interesting turn of events. When I went to the tyre dealer's shop, I was stuck between the XM2s and Yoko BluEarths.

As luck would have it, the Yoko company representative was visiting the shop. He listened to my experience with the continentals and told me to "try out" the yokos and go for a long test drive. If I was not satisfied with it, he would take back the tyre, no questions asked!

So, I tried the Yokos out and the ride was definitely better than the Contis, and the braking was almost as good as the Contis. While the tyre dealer suggested that the Primacy 4s would be even better, I was neither in the mood for another gamble, nor was I planning to try out a non-stock size.

So, finally I am happy with the whole experience. Shout out to the Yoko official that was willing to go the extra mile.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 21st February 2019 at 21:40.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:21   #5857
BHPian

After many years, it was time to change my aging swft, which had served well for over 10 years. Sold my swift zxi to maruti dealer itself as he offered better price than cars24. Keeping my daily commute on ORR on Bangalore, decided to go for automatic. After digging across team-bhp, multiple reviews and test drives finalized on GT TSI for its DSG.

Test drove and booked for Carbon GT TSI at JP Nagar VW in December. As i heard from VW, this color is not much preferred, waiting period was 2 months, and waiting started. Naveen from VW was very helpful.

Finally in Feb 2nd week, got a call that vehicle is on the way. Got the documentation done and delivery taken last week.

Changes from previous model
  • Fabric seat
  • Greyed out alloys for 16 inch tyres (MRF ZTVT)
Went for following accessories from VW itself as i didn't want to run around.
  • arm rest - 6k (with cupholder, pretty decent)
  • VW double horn - 3k
Got Garware icecool for all the sides from Meda, as per suggestions across team-bhp. It was nice experience to interact with Amar and get it done at my place it self. Total cost 13k.

I had got VCDS cabel from EOBDTOOL, 18.9.1. Experience was not very nice, I could change lane change indictors, lock-unlock horn notifications. But ABS brakes, not able to change. Probably need to get original cable or from aliexpress.

Currently enjoying my ride in bangalore traffic.
pradeepmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:32   #5858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepmr View Post
After digging across team-bhp, multiple reviews and test drives finalized on GT TSI for its DSG.
Congratulations

Pretty obvious choice in this segment. The driving pleasure of TSI is unmatched. I have done around 600km in Delhi/NCR traffic it is much easier to manoeuvre in city. I should not say this but I am in love with this car or maybe it is the DSG gearbox which is making me fall again n again. Hope Endeavour owners are not reading this, we(read me n wifey) are criticizing the endeavour gearbox everyday. Although Endeavour is almost 200 bhp monster but the way TSI do 0-60 kmph is commendable and that is what we mostly need in city traffic. I feel pity for people who go for AMT and CVT in this price range.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:03   #5859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Purchased the Add-on warranty in December'18. Steering rack assembly had to be replaced under warranty. Car was given to VW Autobahn, Goregaon yesterday.

I was told i will get my car with the part replaced in 2 working days as internal approvals are required as part of the process for parts to be replaced under Add-on warranty.

I got a call this morning from SA Afnan informing me that my case has been rejected as they did not get an internal approval from Bajaj. On probing further i am told that VW has tied up with Bajaj for Add-on warranties and hence parts can be replaced subject to approval from Bajaj.
Find it strange that the steering assembly is so delicate. I too had got the same changed under warranty in October last year. Do wish to know the experience of other members on this front.

It is strange that the claim was denied. I am certain if you fight for it you will get it. Bajaj should be thankful for the delay in claim of 16K!

When I had signed the bills for the warranty claim, I noticed that the bills were made out to Bajaj.
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:33   #5860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepmr View Post
Test drove and booked for Carbon GT TSI at JP Nagar VW in December. As i heard from VW, this color is not much preferred

Greyed out alloys for 16 inch tyres (MRF ZTVT)
Congrats! Can you share some pictures? I'd love to see how those grey alloys stack up against carbon steel paint and blacked out ORVMs. I am booking this exact spec very soon.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:54   #5861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post

SA told me that my case was not approved as steering rack assembly had to be replaced in Jan. 2017, however the erstwhile owner did not replace it. To that, i gave him my piece of mind mentioning that either ways the part was covered under warranty, why would the erstwhile owner not replace it considering the replacement would have been FOC.

I have asked them for a refund of the amount i have paid as add-on warranty if they do not replace the part.

The Add-on warranty seems to be another scam by VW to lure prospective customers. I will keep this thread posted on further developments.
Got a call from SA Afnan mentioning that they have received an approval from Bajaj for part replacement. Finallyheaved a sigh of relief! I ll get the car at 6pm today
RJ2285 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 18:27   #5862
BHPian

Hey guys. Tried searching the forum but couldn’t find a figure - can anyone guide me with the rough cost of a battery replacement from VW for the GT TSI?

Of late, the car is performing the initial electronic checks post ignition. The stereo system also restarts once the engine is fired. I’m assuming because now the battery isn’t able to supply enough current simultaneously to The starter motor and the other electronic components in the car. It is a sign of a weak battery right? Or will it still go on for some time? Mine is a 2015 December Polo TSI
Old 24th February 2019, 19:08   #5863
BHPian

I got mine replaced through batterbhai.com (Amaron AAM-FL-545106036) for Rs 4310 post exchange of my OEM battery.
Old 24th February 2019, 21:16   #5864
BANNED

Got my MY19 Lapiz blue GT TSI last sunday. Have driven it around 300 kms now. Sharing my experience and initial impressions here.
  • Very prompt communication by VW Gurgaon(Frontier auto) ,went to the showroom only to do pdi in the yard. and then at the time of delivery. Yet got a very good deal.
  • The delivery was FAST. Was in and out of the showroom in around 30 minutes including the delivery ceremony
  • In this color, looks fabulous. Unique yet looks good
  • The build and finish is top notch.better than expected for the price.
  • The engine and gearbox comes alive in sport mode. Even my dad told me only an idiot would keep it in D all the time.
  • How stupid of me to think that I need a Manual car to have fun. This thing is easy to drive in traffic, pulls like mental and handles like a dream.
  • It handles well and I especially like the steering which is not excessively light.
  • Swapped the tyres to Michelin PS4 205/50 ZR16 on the first day itself and can't think of anything wrong with them.Best tyres one can get on a car today
  • Ground clearance is surprsingly good. No issues on very bad roads too.
  • The sound system is really heavy on the bass, though sounds good and touchscreen system is easy to operate.
  • Many nifty features that i noticed few days later like Cornering lamps are present.
  • The color is not the easiest to maintain. After a thin layer of dust settles, it still looks good, but you know how stunning it looks after a wash.
  • Got Pain seal advanced treatment from 3M after 1 week today
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190224_175036.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190224_165714.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190224_170252.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190224_171346.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190224_175014.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190217_163121.jpg  

agambhandari is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 22:02   #5865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Got my MY19 Lapiz blue GT TSI last sunday. Have driven it around 300 kms now. Sharing my experience and initial impressions here.
Congratulations!

The colour is gorgeous! Looks much better in the flesh than in photos, and the gun-metal wheels set it off beautifully! (I'm jealous! Wish I was in the market again!)

If you are looking at making small yet tasteful changes to the car (and even large ones, like a remap or Bilstein B6 damper swap) please refer d_himan's thread.

I would most certainly recommend the arm-rest. It's the most important accessory to consider for this car. I like your choice of tyres! Do let us know how they perform.

Drive safe and all the best, once again!
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed