Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 11:57   #586
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Get a letter from the dealer or VW stating you will be eligible to buy extended warranty once it is officially launched by VW. What you ask for after paying is called "begging" in Indian customer service - J/K but you get the message I hope :-)
I had a long chat with the SA and his boss, they were saying that they are charging for the extended warranty as per the price list sent to them by VW. I told them that, I won't pay for a product in the pipeline and will wait for the official product to be launched by VW. They have agreed on that and have promised to provide me in writing that they will guarantee an option to purchase the extended warranty in a later date after it's launched.

Quote:
Please post your experience regarding extended warranty so other members can benefit.
Will update you guys, after i visit the showroom in the evening.

I have attached a price list with the split up in the post. I am left unconvinced that this is a price list given by VW, primarily because the cost for a regular 1.2 and the 1.2 TSI is same. Considering the history of DSG, any insurer VW is using will be asking for much more premium than a polo with a manual box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I wonder if we can entirely bypass the cars wiring for low power equipment like reverse camera. Only issue would be activating the camera, one would require a independent switch.
Hi srishiva,
Assuming we can place a switch inside the cabin somewhere, do you think it's plausible that the IR/camera and its display can work out of cigarette lighter. I have no clue over their power rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Is anyone able to get any sort of discounts at all (say Corporate) or freebies at all on Polo GT?
I am getting nothing more than mud flaps and floor mats. That too, the SA is claiming that it is him who is providing it Good luck to you!

Cheers,
D.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by delta5 : 15th May 2013 at 12:12. Reason: Multi quoting morphique's post.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:02   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
I have attached a price list with the split up in the post.
Can someone tell me what DAE and Personal Care is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This engine has a different kind of intercooler setup which VW call as the "charged air cooler". Its built into the plastic intake manifold assy. Its a kind of air to water intercooler.

The interesting point to note here is that the engine cooling circuit is NOT shared between engine cooling and charge air cooling. This engine has separate cooling circuits for engine cooling and charge air cooling.
Pics..
Name:  20130515122050_1366x768_scrot.png
Views: 13594
Size:  119.0 KB
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20130515122503_1366x768_scrot.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 15th May 2013 at 12:26.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 12:09   #588
BHPian

INITIAL OWNERSHIP REVIEW OF GT TSI

Hi Guys
i have had this car for the past 2 weeks now and i would like to share my preliminary observations about this car.

ENGINE AND GEARBOX
This car has a 1.2 ltr engine with a Demon inside. Once you hit the throttle he wakes up and all hell breaks loose. For this reason only any petrol head will buy this car regardless of the price. The gearbox of the car is also super smooth. By the time you realise what is happening you are already cruising at 140 in 6th gear.

STEERING
I have a Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol so the steering on the Polo is a very big letdown. It is too light and there is minimal feedback.

BRAKES
Brakes or the lack of brakes. Braking is inadequate for the power this car generates. VW will have to provide all round disk brakes in the near future. Although the braking does improve with better tyres as i replaced the stock apollo 185s with 195 Michelins.

FUEL ECONOMY
Using normal unleaded fuel the car is giving an average of 9.5-10 KPl. Therefore i find no truth in the VW Brochure regarding a fuel economy of 17-18 kpl.

ICE
The music system is good. Bluetooth pairs quickly with my Iphone 4 and Galaxy Note.

IDLING THE CAR BEFORE TURNING IT OFF
I am a bit confused with this aspect as i have always idled turbo diesel cars (Skoda Laura and Yeti) before switching the engine off. The sales rep at the VW dealer told me that this is not required for the 1.2 TSI and i could not find anything in the manual regarding the same.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I will be uploading a few photos of the car in a day or two

Arjun

The car cost 9 lakh approx on road in Delhi. The ex showroom price was 8 Lakh.

Regarding the extended warranty for the GT TSI I have spoken to the VW dealer in Saket and he has informed me that it will be available in 10-15 days.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th May 2013 at 08:23.
ironager is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 12:34   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone tell me what DAE and Personal Care is?
Hi,
DAE is Drive Assure Elite offered by Bajaj Allianz.
Please check this link . From what I understand its very similar to Skoda Shield where they cover consequential damage as well and there is zero depreciation on the car.

Personal care is what VW were offering free of cost before, this is insurance for the owner's expenses and car recovery expenditure, say in a situation where you are stranded in a highway due to car failure. This is what VWCC told me, however the SA is of the view that only the car part is covered, then it won't be called 'Personal care' right?
Anyways Silver gives a coverage of up to 5L, Gold- 7.5L and Platinum not sure but above 12L.

I will clarify all the above when I see the actual documents today.
Can anyone else clear up and grey area I have left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post

Hi Guys
Hi ironager,
Could you please clarify on Sankar's post on DAE and personal care. Also some other queries below.

Quote:
BRAKES
Although the braking does improve with better tyres as i replaced the stock apollo 185s with 195 Michelins.
What was the cost of replacement and your opinion on other alternatives for the rubber.

Quote:
FUEL ECONOMY
Using normal unleaded fuel the car is giving an average of 9.5-10 KPl. Therefore i find no truth in the VW Brochure regarding a fuel economy of 17-18 kpl.
What was your driving conditions like during these fuel figure and is it based on MID or full tank to full tank?

Quote:
There is no harm in idling the car before turning off, please continue to idle the engine like you do with your diesels, till more info emerges on this front.

Wish you the best of times with your Polo, and do create a separate Initial ownership thread when you get time.

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 15th May 2013 at 12:54. Reason: Multi-quoting Ironager
delta5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 13:16   #590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Charged Air Cooler in 1.2 TSI (Air-Water Intercooler)

Quote:
The way you have penned it down makes me want one.
Thank you. Time to go buy one:-)

Quote:
"charged air cooler".
After doing a wiki on this, there appears to be several terms used to describe this sort of inter cooling method.

Quote:
Its built into the plastic intake manifold assy. Its a kind of air to water intercooler.
I find this super complicated to build. If you can share a link to how this is integrated, it will useful. Super interesting tech on the GT.

Quote:
Both circuits have separate heat exchangers (radiators) and runs independently of the other, except the common expansion tank.
Where is this heat exchanger located in the GT? I could not find one though I was actually looking for an inter cooler. Can you share a schematic? If the system is going to take water from the expansion tank, that sounds like its going to be really hot and I wonder how this helps bring down air temperature before it enters the intake.

Quote:
Engine and Charge air cooling circuit needs to be kept separate because if engine cooling circuit is used to cool charge air it will heat the air instead of cooling it.
Again; the circuits are separate but I don't know how sharing the coolant helps as its already hot inside the expansion tank.

Quote:
Brakes or the lack of brakes. Braking is inadequate for the power this car generates
This is the opposite of what I experienced. I found them grabby with very little play in the pedal.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th May 2013 at 13:30. Reason: Quoting another post.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:33   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I find this super complicated to build. If you can share a link to how this is integrated, it will useful. Super interesting tech on the GT.

Where is this heat exchanger located in the GT? I could not find one though I was actually looking for an inter cooler. Can you share a schematic? If the system is going to take water from the expansion tank, that sounds like its going to be really hot and I wonder how this helps bring down air temperature before it enters the intake.
Yep it looks complicated, but advantage is the whole thing is packaged very compact and unobtrusive!

Pls see the schematics posted in my post above. Its for this particular engine.

This additional radiator might be a separate one or it might be a separate partition built into the primary radiator. Can only verify this on accessing the car.

The expansion bottle is used as a common reservoir, coolant is forced into the expansion bottle from the circuit when its hot and under pressure. Coolant in the expansion bottle returns into the coolant circuit when the circuit is cold and it sucks it back. So there is no harm in using a common expansion bottle.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:41   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls see the schematics posted in my post above. Its for this particular engine.
Thank you for sharing this.

Quote:
So there is no harm in using a common expansion bottle.
Hmmm. Still unsure on how this benefits the system. As the coolant in the expansion tank is hot, I wonder how this helps if further circulated to another radiator where the primary function is to bring down air temperature before it enters the engine.

If you look at the air intake plumbing, its directly up front and just like how a cold air intake system would be set up. There is just no way hot air inside the engine bay can reach the engine air intake. Though the tech is interesting, I don't know how much it benefits.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th May 2013 at 13:47. Reason: Needed to add more to this.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:04   #593
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Arjun/ironagar for your new ride

Quote:

Hi Guys
i have had this car for the past 2 weeks now and i would like to share my preliminary observations about this car.

I knew this engine set up was going to be a scorcher & would surprise most.... Love the comment regarding a "demon inside", there is one in my TJet+ too, only I call it a wolf in sheep's clothing
Quote:
ENGINE AND GEARBOX
This car has a 1.2 ltr engine with a Demon inside. Once you hit the throttle he wakes up and all hell breaks loose. For this reason only any petrol head will buy this car regardless of the price. The gearbox of the car is also super smooth. By the time you realise what is happening you are already cruising at 140 in 6th gear.
hmm time to sell the Cedia..maybe not, especially because of the brakes. There have been many a discussion in the thread regarding the disc + drum breakup and the matter was wide open to interpretations. Now however with real time ownership experiences coming to the fore I am hopeful that relevant feedback will force the manufacturer to provide discs all around.
Quote:
STEERING
I have a Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol so the steering on the Polo is a very big letdown. It is too light and there is minimal feedback.

BRAKES
Brakes or the lack of brakes. Braking is inadequate for the power this car generates. VW will have to provide all round disk brakes in the near future. Although the braking does improve with better tyres as i replaced the stock apollo 185s with 195 Michelins.
If you drive sedately (how is indeed the question) you should be able to get better fuel consumption figures. The trick really is in controlling the take off from stand still. In city driving if one can control this initial movement the consumption figures can be pretty decent, this is based on my experiences with the turbo charged 1.4 liter engine equipped Linea TJet+.
Quote:
FUEL ECONOMY

ICE
The music system is good. Bluetooth pairs quickly with my Iphone 4 and Galaxy Note.

Idling a turbo equipped engine is important irrespective of the fact whether it is a diesel or a petrol engine. Turbo will take it's own sweet time to spool down and letting it run dry for those few seconds will eventually add up and when it does the same dealer will refuse warranty repairs & point the fingers at us for not doing the needful.

Quote:
I am a bit confused with this aspect as i have always idled turbo diesel cars (Skoda Laura and Yeti) before switching the engine off. The sales rep at the VW dealer told me that this is not required for the 1.2 TSI and i could not find anything in the manual regarding the same.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I will be uploading a few photos of the car in a day or two

Arjun
Looking forward to the snaps of the demon, do click a few of the turbo set up in the engine bay.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 14:15   #594
BHPian

What was the cost of replacement and your opinion on other alternatives for the rubber.

I exchanged the stock Apollo tyres size- 185s with Michelins size- 195. It cost me Rs 11,000 for the exchange. The reason why i replaced them was the lack of grip of the Apollo tyres.

What was your driving conditions like during these fuel figure and is it based on MID or full tank to full tank?

The 9.5-10 Kpl figure i quoted is based on the MID.

There is no harm in idling the car before turning off, please continue to idle the engine like you do with your diesels, till more info emerges on this front.

Thats what i figured. No harm in idling. I idle the engine for approx 1 minute before shutting it down.
ironager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:23   #595
BHPian

Has anyone researched about external insurance?

What is the cost difference it and VW insurance (zero dep)?

I also couldn't find the features of VW insurance, the SA wasn't very helpful. Any info on that?

Also is change the tyres from 185 Apollos to 195 Michelin PLC cause any later issue from VW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Corporate disxount of 6k has been promised at the Chennai ambattur showroom. No other discounts at all.
That is dependent on the the category of company. Like Wipro belongs to Platinum, thus 6k discount and Alkem Labs is under Gold, thus 3k discount.

Last edited by mjumrani : 15th May 2013 at 15:24.
Old 15th May 2013, 15:29   #596
Senior - BHPian

IMHO 10 kmpl for a Petrol Auto is decent in city driving conditions. Just one question IRONAGER - Really how bad are the brakes? Any comparisons?
Old 15th May 2013, 16:15   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I found the GT quicker in feel than my T Jet and I attribute this more to that incredible DSG gearbox.

It also made me realise how pathetic the gearbox is on my T Jet. The ratios are so bad that at times you wonder if the engine just died on you. None of this on GT.
I am completely smitten by the turbo-charged petrol bug and almost sold out on the T-Jet. I am desperately waiting for it to be re-launched. But your above post has got me all confused. So, is the Polo TSI that much more fun to drive than the T-Jet. Your more insights on the comparison between the two will help me decide furthur. Anyways, I am planning to TD the Polo TSI soon.

One factor going against the Polo would be that I travel with a lot of baggage. So, Polo would be no good here.
Old 15th May 2013, 16:45   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
IMHO 10 kmpl for a Petrol Auto is decent in city driving conditions. Just one question IRONAGER - Really how bad are the brakes? Any comparisons?

The brakes are adequate for normal driving. with normal driving i mean when you drive the vehicle at speeds between 70-90 in city traffic with a light foot on the gas.

If you drive like a Petrol head- found a gap in traffic- push the accelator down fully and the turbo kicks in- suddenly an autorickshaw or a maruti 800 comes from nowehere- you apply the brakes-you will find that all round disk brakes would have been a lot better and the car could be driven with a lot more confidence.

Let me be clear here that i am not implying that the brakes are bad. Its just that they could be a lot better than they are with disks on all four wheels.

If there are any other owners of the GT on this forum i would like to hear thier views on the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Congratulations, Arjun/ironagar for your new ride
==========
Looking forward to the snaps of the demon, do click a few of the turbo set up in the engine bay.
Thanks khoj

I know what you mean. Turbocharged petrol engines are addictive. you should go and take a test drive of the GT if you havent already and im sure that you will seriously consider buying the car.

I think that in the GT what makes it a complete package is the 1.2 TSI mated with the 7 speed DSG. The mating of these two technologies makes the car phenomenal to drive and no car in the segment comes close to what the GT offers.
But its not a practical car. with a fuel economy of 10-11 kpl and a lack of a proper boot and cramped rear seats. Its more of a weekend use car than a daily drive for a person with a family.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th May 2013 at 08:21.
ironager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 17:05   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
I am completely smitten by the turbo-charged petrol bug and almost sold out on the T-Jet.
If you are going to need a boot, then the T Jet it is. I hope you stand to gain more power from the re launch and I also hope Fiat price it sensibly.

Quote:
is the Polo TSI that much more fun to drive than the T-Jet.
The GT felt effortless as it comes with a brilliant automatic gearbox. After the drive, I just wished the T Jet had something similar. The engines are brilliant in both the cars. In the GT, all you have to do is step on the gas as hard as possible and things start moving quick. Both your hands are on the wheel, your right leg switching between throttle and brake. You stay fully focused on the drive. To be as quick on a T Jet, you need to work harder. Going through the gates on a manual gearbox does add to the involvement when you drive a car and this is something that is not perfect on a T Jet.

Quote:
Your more insights on the comparison between the two will help me decide furthur.
If I were to pick the best drivers car in the segment/price bracket, it will be the T Jet. I am not saying this just because I own one. Everyone will rate the cars they own to be the best. You need to drive a T Jet extensively to know how brilliant it is.

On other aspects, it will be wrong to compare the GT and T Jet. Hatchback and Sedan. The T Jet offers more passenger room at the back and a massive boot. The GT is cramped at the rear. Looks like VW decided to keep the boot nice and large and as a result, rear passenger room is tight. The GT works as a strict two seater. VW has the edge on quality of interior appointments.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th May 2013 at 17:10.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 19:28   #600
BHPian

Did a 400kms run today from Rajkot to Ahmedabad. Will like to say a few things about the car. I drive Honda city and baleno. So it would be in comparison to the above mentioned cars.

First this car is an absolute breeze to overtake on highway. Overtaking volvo buses was difficult and required a lot of thinking before, but now its a matter of few seconds. You need to just floor the pedal and you are past the fast moving bus. The DSG sheds a few ratios even before you know it. Fantastic!!!

The FE even after flooring the pedal for each and every overtaking manouver and maintaining speeds of 120 kmph was 15 kmpl. This includes few kms of city driving.

Braking for me seems to be more than sufficient.

The car never felt nervous at any of the highway curves even at such high speeds. At such speeds city would have screeched.

All in all it is a very addictive car to drive on the highway.
drjanakpatel is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks