Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 11:51   #6001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I'd suggest you go for 2015 model, simply because you can have extended warranty for one more year which crucial for a car equipped with DQ200.

Okay so I rejected both 2014 and 2015 models due to their lack of regular service and the 2015 model being accidental.
Now the dilemma is buying a 2017 Polo GT TSI with 12,000 on odo or Feb 2019 TATA Nexon with 2000 on odo? GT TSI is almost a Lakh cheaper as it is 2 year old vehicle.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:52   #6002
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on buying the hottest hatch around. It will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. I totally agree with you on the ergonomics. Apart from what you have mentioned the right knee runs against the hard door handle too. I am also 6 and weigh almost 90 face all the issues you mentioned. I think the car is best suited for people less than 6 feet.

However it puts a big smile in my face every time I steal a ride from my wife. It's her car primarily.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 12:17   #6003
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Took possession of my new GT TSI yesterday. Initial thoughts as below.

Ergonomics: ... The steering wheel, although leather wrapped lacks any grippiness and is not supple. Right now it feels like a dry rubber tube from a bicycle tyre. Hoping that it will improve with use or with application of leather conditioner. All in all this is not a comfortable place to be for anyone over 6 foot and above 90 Kilos. Now I have a INR 12 Lakh reason to get fitter.

Drive: Fun as ever. ... Bottom line is that D mode is still too sporty for trundling around the city.

Gadgetry: The cockpit lights up like a christmas tree. Red lights all around for buttons. Is there a setting to dim the intensity? Did not spend much time with the Infotainment system other that set the clock. Apple Car Play needs a USB cable connection for first set up which I have not done yet.
Congrats! I love the colour.

Some leather polish should help the steering wheel.

I'm somehow not feeling the lack of space in the drivers seat. I'm 6 feet; and about 110 kg (working on that aspect ), but feel pretty comfortable. I wish the seat would go back a few inches more for more legroom, but that's it.

You should be getting used to the driving dynamics as you put some miles on. D isn't sporty by nature, you probably just need to get used to the throttle modulation.

There is a mod for a dimmer switch for the instrument cluster, as it is found in most other VWs. I think a few forum members have undertaken this, but I decided to get used to the brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Congratulations on buying the hottest hatch around. It will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. I totally agree with you on the ergonomics. Apart from what you have mentioned the right knee runs against the hard door handle too. I am also 6 and weigh almost 90 face all the issues you mentioned. I think the car is best suited for people less than 6 feet.
Not sure I agree with you on the comfort part. It takes some adjustment, sure, but it isn't impossible. I do find it a little short on space when I compare it to my other/previous rides (Mk1 Octy, W124, Civic) though.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 12:25   #6004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Congrats! I love the colour.

Some leather polish should help the steering wheel.

I'm somehow not feeling the lack of space in the drivers seat. I'm 6 feet; and about 110 kg (working on that aspect ), but feel pretty comfortable. I wish the seat would go back a few inches more for more legroom, but that's it.

You should be getting used to the driving dynamics as you put some miles on. D isn't sporty by nature, you probably just need to get used to the throttle modulation.

There is a mod for a dimmer switch for the instrument cluster, as it is found in most other VWs. I think a few forum members have undertaken this, but I decided to get used to the brightness.

Not sure I agree with you on the comfort part. It takes some adjustment, sure, but it isn't impossible. I do find it a little short on space when I compare it to my other/previous rides (Mk1 Octy, W124, Civic) though.
Its not just about the space but all the other things mentioned in the original post under the Ergonomics section. The steering cover being hard..... etc... I definitely find the door handle jutting into my knee and that's quite painful until you get used to it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th May 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:03   #6005
BHPian

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Its not just about the space but all the other things mentioned in the original post under the Ergonomics section. The steering cover being hard..... etc... I definitely find the door handle jutting into my knee and that's quite painful until you get used to it.
Yes absolutely. More so left knee and central console in my case. The dealership has not yet fixed my (free) armrest. Expecting things to improve a bit in the comfort department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13
Yes, it is more of unlearning old habits and picking up new ones.
Old 28th May 2019, 03:35   #6006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the IRVM is closer to the face and obstructs more of front visibility.
The Polo fits me like a glove: I am on my second! So I can't comment on how someone used to another car would find it.

I do agree about the mirror, though. It has always seemed to me to be simply in the wrong place! They could have put it higher on the glass, there is plenty of space for that.

I got used to it, and take it into account when adjusting my seat height. But, due to many stone chips, I am due a new windscreen one day (none is serious enough to make it urgent) and I guess I can get it moved up an inch or so then.

Congratulations on your beautiful new car
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 10:59   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
Ergonomics: The cockpit feels cramped coming from a Figo. The smaller windshield with higher rake angle and shorter dashboard provides little shade from the Hyderabad summer sun. Although the AC is cold, the comfort factor is lower due to more direct sunlight on front occupants. The Figo has an longer dashboard (shorter bonnet) and provides more shade. Also, the IRVM is closer to the face and obstructs more of front visibility. The lower overall cabin height results in a lower seating position with lesser comfort. I am only comparing with the Ford Figo, and please note all of the above might be subjective. The steering wheel, although leather wrapped lacks any grippiness and is not supple. Right now it feels like a dry rubber tube from a bicycle tyre. Hoping that it will improve with use or with application of leather conditioner. All in all this is not a comfortable place to be for anyone over 6 foot and above 90 Kilos. Now I have a INR 12 Lakh reason to get fitter.
I have read a lot of GT TSI reviews on this forum, and you are the first member who has so many complaints about the ergonomics. Didn't you take a test drive before buying the car?

I am 5'11" (have disproportionately long legs) and tip the scales at 85 kgs. I have been driving a Polo MPI since 2013, and a GT TSI since 2018. Given the driver seat's generous range of height adjustment and the steering wheel's reach AND rake adjustment (both of which are not commonly found in the B segment, btw), it is fairly easy to find a comfortable position.

It sounds to me from all your complaints as if you are sitting too close to the steering wheel. Please move the seat back a few inches and adjust the steering wheel to its topmost and outermost position.

About the leather wrapping, I believe from your description that your car may have a quality issue. Please check the steering wheels of a few other GT TSIs, if possible.

Quote:
Gadgetry: The cockpit lights up like a christmas tree. Red lights all around for buttons. Is there a setting to dim the intensity?
Please have a look at this DIY thread. The dimmer switch is available on AliExpress.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 28th May 2019 at 11:06.
TheLizardKing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 12:08   #6008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Didn't you take a test drive before buying the car? Please move the seat back a few inches and adjust the steering wheel to its topmost and outermost position.
No I'm not to close. The wheel is fully in though. Will try it in the outermost position and push the seat back even more. Thanks for the tip.

Yes I took a test drive and knew I would have to make compromises and find workarounds. Hence fishing for tips here. My favourite car has been the most quirkiest one. A Chevy Lumina SS (rebadged Commodore VZ, nicknamed SS widowmaker in Aus and SA) with a 5.7L naturally aspirated V8. It would try to kill me every once in a while but I survived with it for a very fun 11 years.

The knee and elbow bruises are healing now and I'm close to mastering the art of getting in and out without banging my head and elbows.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th May 2019 at 12:38. Reason: Formatting
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 12:21   #6009
BHPian

Quote:
Took possession of my new GT TSI yesterday. Initial thoughts as below.
In Bangalore, this color is not available for the GT TSI. The only color available is White and Red. A couple of days back I also saw a black colored one as well. Any idea how to get any other color apart from the Red and White.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th May 2019 at 12:25. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 28th May 2019, 13:38   #6010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
In Bangalore, this color is not available for the GT TSI. The only color available is White and Red. A couple of days back I also saw a black colored one as well. Any idea how to get any other color apart from the Red and White.
To the best of my knowledge there exists only one VW plant in India (at Chakan near Pune) which makes the Polo. The color is called Lapiz Blue. If I can get one so can you.

It took me 6 days to get mine after placing the order at PPS Motors VW, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad. The car VIN number indicates that my car was built in May 2019.

Lapiz blue is not shown as a color option on the website. So it must be new. Go and be the first one in your city to drive a Lapiz Blue GT.
keith2524 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:47   #6011
BHPian

Quote:
Black was offered pre 2014, so it must've been an old GT that you saw.

The dealer is probably just offering you the colours he has in stock. If you insist or shop around, you'll manage to get what you're looking for.
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 08:30   #6012

Hi, I am told by the dealership that the reverse parking camera unit would cost INR 12,500. Could someone with experience confirm if it costs as much?
Old 29th May 2019, 11:59   #6013
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Hemanth - That's quite strange. I've been noticing the usual Polo's (Non GT versions) in Lapiz Blue with Gun Metal alloys over the last few weeks here in Chennai.

Please check with other dealerships in Bangalore. If not, is there a VW showroom in Hosur? Please check with them too.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:14   #6014
Senior - BHPian

Lapis blue is certainly available in Bangalore. Someone in my society just bought one. I have also seen at least 2 more Lapiz Blue GT TSI over the last 3 weeks. In my opinion the Red or the Grey colors look the best .
Old 29th May 2019, 18:23   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Urgent help requested:

I am going to check out a 2016 GT TSI (red colour) clocked around 29k kms tomorrow. It is with a broker and supposedly in very good condition.

What would be the right valuation for this car? Anything particular to the GT which I should look out for? What is the company warranty period for this car? Any extended warranty which I could purchase as a second owner?

What features would I be missing out on this 2016 vs a new 2019 model.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 29th May 2019 at 18:32. Reason: Adding text.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks