Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 21:52   #6076
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

A bit of interesting trivia on the “Lapiz Blue” color. Copy paste courtesy Wikipedia-

Lapis lazuli (/ˈlępɪs ˈlęzjʊli, -laɪ/), or lapis for short, is a deep blue metamorphic rock used as a semi-precious stone that has been prized since antiquity for its intense color. As early as the 7th millennium BCE, lapis lazuli was mined in the Sar-i Sang mines,[1] in Shortugai, and in other mines in Badakhshan province in northeast Afghanistan.[2] Lapis was highly valued by the Indus Valley Civilisation (3300–1900 BC). Lapis beads have been found at Neolithic burials in Mehrgarh, the Caucasus, and even as far from Afghanistan as Mauritania.[3] It was used in the funeral mask of Tutankhamun (1341–1323 BCE).[4]

You can purchase little figurines and pendants made from Amazon. Not sure about genuineness though.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 23:45   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
A bit of interesting trivia on the “Lapiz Blue” color.
We have a Bhpian with same handle name on our forum.

Quote:

lapis_lazuli

Last edited by roby_dk : 17th June 2019 at 23:46.
Old 19th June 2019, 13:14   #6078
BHPian

Very OT post, but it's a history of how Polo came to be.

It could have very well been called "Mini Golf". :banghead: Thankfully it wasn't.
GrandTourer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 15:14   #6079
BHPian

Finally got the GTI armrest installed. I bought the armrest from VW Thane and called up the accessories guy who does installations for Mumbai West and Navi Mumbai. He had someone come down to my house to do the installation for a total of 500 bucks.

The armrest does have a slight movement and I fear there will be some rattles over bad road. That is to be tested later today.

Anyhow, the pics:
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190619_150131.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190619_150148.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190619_150212.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20190619_150346.jpg

Piece of advice for Mumbai folks:
Buy the armrest from Thane and have it installed later from any showroom in Mumbai. The accessories guy quote 7500 in Mumbai and you can get the same for 5694 in Thane plus 500 installation.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 22:14   #6080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
J And I would like to get opinion on D2 racing coilovers and Eibach suspension which Code 6 garage has recommended for the polo to be used in our sort of conditions.
Should I withhold the purchase? Practically spending sleepless nights on this decision.
Is the recommendation D2 coilovers for the front and Eibach dampers for the rear? Im a little confused.

Code 6 should have some customer cars in which they have installed the setup, they should be able to hook you up with an existing owner for feedback and maybe a passenger seat ride to experience this first hand.
Old 22nd June 2019, 19:17   #6081
BHPian

I am unable to figure out how to run the dash camera wire from the driver side A pillar trim into the fusebox without exposing the wire. Is is possible to route it by opening the side panel of the dash? Sorry if this is a newbie question. I opened up the fuse panel under the steering column today and I could not find any openings on the side. Here is a photo of the opened fusebox. Any suggestions on which fuses to use for ACC (accessory) and VCC (constant power) connections will be appreciated. Also, is the metal screw and washer on the left adequate for grounding?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7646.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2019, 19:45   #6082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Guys, I made an enquiry for Polo TSI, it has a waiting period of 6 months. Is this thing getting discontinued? Why such a long waiting period? No test drive cars available either!
The cochin dealer seems to be pulling some sorta scam here. My friend was quoted waiting period of around a year!

He bought a car from Chennai and got it in around a month. The car was to be used between both places , hence it wasn't an issue for him to pick up from chennai.

If you are using it in cochin, it would be better to pick up a car which the dealer wants to sell. We have only one dealer here, and if this is the attitude before selling, I would be very weary of their aftersales.
JayD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:09   #6083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Just getting nightmares after reading about polo suspension. I ve booked a GT TSI and waiting for its delivery some time in August. It is going to replace my magic carpet, slow but ultra comfortable S cross. The roads in Cochin are pathetic to say the least. I would like to get insight on polo suspension on bad patches of roads around cochin. Any GT owner out there from Cochin, who can help. And I would like to get opinion on D2 racing coilovers and Eibach suspension which Code 6 garage has recommended for the polo to be used in our sort of conditions.
Should I withhold the purchase? Practically spending sleepless nights on this decision.
I've been driving the 2019 GT TSI on Cochin roads for some time now. The suspension is on the harder side and you will feel regular thuds over bad patches. But its not a deal breaker.
thealtoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:50   #6084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealtoman View Post
I've been driving the 2019 GT TSI on Cochin roads for some time now. The suspension is on the harder side and you will feel regular thuds over bad patches. But its not a deal breaker.
I have cancelled the booking due to lack of space at the rear. I am 6 foot 1 and found the front seat to be not comfortable on long drives. The seat was a bit too soft for my liking, gave me back pains after an hour drive in a rented car, which was the TDI.

Moreover EVM was not ready to take booking quoting unimaginable waiting periods. They say they have a back log of more than 50 polo gts. Contemplating on booking the vento. I could sit a bit more relaxed in the Vento. Anyway I need to take a long TD of the Vento.

Last edited by sandygordon : 24th June 2019 at 19:55.
Old 25th June 2019, 07:53   #6085
BHPian

Some has managed to get pictures of the updated Polo and Vento:
https://www.rushlane.com/2019-volksw...-12314700.html

What's suprising is that these cars were spotted in the showroom, which probably means that the launch isn't too far away.

Some key take aways:
1. The car seems to be missing out on DRL's from the Vento highline plus

2. This update will be adding the speed warning

3. While this almost certainly introduce the 1.0 engine, the fate of the GT TSI seems to be unclear at this point.

If anyone could check with their people at VW, that would be great. My dealer is still maintaining that there's no update from VW yet.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:48   #6086
Senior - BHPian

It's high time they update the interiors to the international one. Major reason for me to hold off on a GT TSI for all these years has been that the only change from a regular polo is the all black scheme and not even a full color MID in this day and age. Exterior updates are subtle as always and enthusiasts will appreciate the GTI inspired styling on it. GTI owners will feel meh. They should think of getting the 1.5 TSI and slot this right in the Abarth power range, even for a couple of extra lakhs, this will be totally worth it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:20   #6087
Senior - BHPian

I have test driven 3 GT TSI cars, one the test drive car at a VW dealer with 7xxx kms, the two other cars at second hand dealers with 25xxx and 31xxx kms.

All three times I found it distinctly uncomfortable with the ac at the lowest setting and the blower high manually. The VW sales person gave an excuse on a 7xxx kms run car that the ac has not been serviced.

This was during May heat in Mumbai. Is the ac on the GT generally weak?

Appreciate a revert from owners.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 25th June 2019, 13:05   #6088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Is the ac on the GT generally weak?

Appreciate a revert from owners.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
My initial opinion was the same but it has changed after one month of ownership. The air con is adequate in Hyderabad summers (42 C +) and plenty cold now that the temps have dropped. I think the impression of inadequate cooling is because of the short rake angle of the windshield and short dashboard. When in direct sunlight, it tends to expose you more to direct heat.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 15:03   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
All three times I found it distinctly uncomfortable with the ac at the lowest setting and the blower high manually. The VW sales person gave an excuse on a 7xxx kms run car that the ac has not been serviced.

This was during May heat in Mumbai. Is the ac on the GT generally weak?
If you use the auto climate control AC at "Lo" with fan speed at full manual, it will take ages to cool the cabin. It will just blow hot air all the time. Trick is to set the temperature at about 5-10 degrees lower than depending on outside temperature, and leave the fan speed in auto. For example outside temperature is 35 degrees C, leave the AC at about 25 degrees C or near about. When in peak summer, the difference in Outside and inside temperature can be about 15-20 degrees and it works just fine in with auto blower speed. In all of peak summer in Ahmedabad this year, temperatures went up to 50 degrees C. I never took the temperature in the car below 25 degrees and I was very comfortable and cooling was very effective. For me, 24 is the new 18! For reference, I have an Octy, and German engineered cars are not known for their AC, but their cooling capacity logic is surely on point.

Same story with my India engineered seven year old Vento. Works absolutely fine at those temperatures. Its only when temperatures go beyond 50 degrees, nothing works that great in that kind of conditions.
People mostly just leave the thing at "Lo" and it just doesn't work that way.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 25th June 2019 at 15:05.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 18:11   #6090
Distinguished - BHPian

My trick: 22.5/auto, all year round. If necessary, reduce the airflow at the vents.

This has worked for me with two Polos, although slightly less well with the current car. Black is a bad colour for a place with 350 days of hot sunshine a year!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks