Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 12:02   #6106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhesh Raj View Post
I've driven around 100kms till now. The gear shifts are smooth. Yet to push her in the S mode. Any pointers regarding maintaining the DSG?
Congratulations. As a practice, keep the gear in neutral, when you are not moving.
There is a view that DSG box will disengage clutch if the brake is pressed, which I've not experienced while driving. May be it does when the vehicle is stationary and brake is pressed, experts can confirm.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:51   #6107
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!..

..Any pointers regarding maintaining the DSG?

The car has come with Seat belt warning for both the driver and the front passenger seat. It keeps beeping every 10 seconds...

Like the other 2 pictures posted previously, my car also has a gap near the DSG Shifter. ..

Does the TSI need any fuel additives or is anything like that adviced? Thanks in advance...
Congrats!.

Almost 2 years up here, and I shift to N at traffic lights and when slowing/stopping down from Dx to D1; as I feel the jerks during D3-D2-D1 transition if the braking is not exactly as per DSG's interest. From what I have heard from the mechanics/internet gossips is that DSG in GT is at risk when car is used often in stop go traffic. I don't worry much as my driving conditions are rather better and I have the 5 yr warranty.

Seat belt warning seems to be new and welcome addition. My Sep'17 doesn't have it.

The gap is awful. How? My car has no such gaps there.

At my 6 month free service I was given an additive my dealer to be filled half, twice in the next 12 months which I did. Actually I want to fill in the STP's fuel additive that I am filling in my Honda but I am a bit scared to use it in TSI (fearing about the warranty perhaps)

And..S mode please; it's no pushing the car, that's its (sur)real mode.

Cheers.!
Old 4th July 2019, 15:00   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Congrats!.

Almost 2 years up here, and I shift to N at traffic lights and when slowing/stopping down from Dx to D1; as I feel the jerks during D3-D2-D1 transition if the braking is not exactly as per DSG's interest.
Would suggest you to read up on automatics and especially the DSG.
In a nutshell, don't switch to N while slowing down, only at a standstill.

Also, if you're still finding the shifts jerky, please insist on a software upgrade for the DSG.
Old 4th July 2019, 17:01   #6109
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!

Just picked up a Polo GT TSI in Carbon Steel Grey on 28th June.
Congratulations on the new car!

Please read this very informative thread for answers on DSG.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-gearbox.html (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
GrandTourer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 07:38   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Would suggest you to read up on automatics and especially the DSG.
In a nutshell, don't switch to N while slowing down, only at a standstill.

Also, if you're still finding the shifts jerky, please insist on a software upgrade for the DSG.
Tell me more pls as per my know-how, shifting to N from D with the button pressed is like shifting to N (after clutch pressed) in MTs; harmless. Yes, I plan to have this jerks during deceleration checked in upcoming svc.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:16   #6111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tell me more pls as per my know-how, shifting to N from D with the button pressed is like shifting to N (after clutch pressed) in MTs; harmless. Yes, I plan to have this jerks during deceleration checked in upcoming svc.
There are a couple of drawbacks if you shift to N before the car has stopped.
  1. You will be using the brakes to stop the car and will not have any engine braking.
  2. For some reason, if you want to accelerate again before you fully stop, you will have to shift to D from N as the car is still moving. I am not sure if this is good for the gearbox.

Of the above, #1 is not a great issue. Except for increased brake wear, it may be still fine. However, I would be worried about #2.

My suggestion is not to engage N while the car is moving.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 08:31   #6112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There are a couple of drawbacks if you shift to N before the car has stopped.
  1. You will be using the brakes to stop the car and will not have any engine braking.
  2. For some reason, if you want to accelerate again before you fully stop, you will have to shift to D from N as the car is still moving. I am not sure if this is good for the gearbox.

Of the above, #1 is not a great issue. Except for increased brake wear, it may be still fine. However, I would be worried about #2.

My suggestion is not to engage N while the car is moving.
Agreed on both in principle. But my case is low speed and then coming to halt so brake wear isn't much and I do use engine braking where possible so I don't shift to N at higher speeds. On #2, if I find myself in such situation (like coming off speed breakers, speed ~10kmph), I then press the clutch button and shift to D and accelerate normally. It's something I used to do in MTs also i.e. press clutch & engage 2nd gear when car is at 10/20 kmph.

I think the mild jerks should be experienced in all GTs as I experienced same level of mild jerks in my friend's car perhaps owing to "speed shock" factor, when braking rather quickly from 30s kmph --> 0 kmph. If the same braking I do rather gently then there are no jerks, not even mild.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:39   #6113
BHPian

To clarify, the button on the gear stick is not a clutch. It has is an interlocking mechanism.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:47   #6114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed on both in principle. But my case is low speed and then coming to halt so brake wear isn't much and I do use engine braking where possible so I don't shift to N at higher speeds. On #2, if I find myself in such situation (like coming off speed breakers, speed ~10kmph), I then press the clutch button and shift to D and accelerate normally. It's something I used to do in MTs also i.e. press clutch & engage 2nd gear when car is at 10/20 kmph.

I think the mild jerks should be experienced in all GTs as I experienced same level of mild jerks in my friend's car perhaps owing to "speed shock" factor, when braking rather quickly from 30s kmph --> 0 kmph. If the same braking I do rather gently then there are no jerks, not even mild.
As swissknife pointed out, the button on the gear stick is not for operating the clutch. It is an interlock that does not allow you to move the gear stick accidentally under various situations. For example, you will not be able to move the stick from N to R without pressing the button. The button makes sure that this is an intended operation performed by the driver and not an accidental movement.

In DSG, the clutch is totally under the control of the TCU (transmission control unit) software. If the TCU software covers situations of shifting from N to D in the move, then there is nothing to worry. But in case the software does not handle this situation correctly, then you may have higher clutch wear.

These jerks you experience are more of engine braking when you shift down a gear and release the clutch. It is just that it is not that smooth.

EDIT:
Check out the below link.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...hile-in-motion

Though this is related to Torque converter, the principle still applies. When you engage the gear in a moving car, you are essentially loading the gearbox and feeding in torque from the wheels to the gearbox. In a manual car, you would gradually engage the clutch such that the torque feed is gradual. In case of DSG, the gearbox will not be aware of the wheels being driven by the car's weight and may not have the logic to engage gradually. This will result in sudden feeding of torque into the drive train which may result in wear over repeated usage. Hope this clarifies.

I would recommend you not switch between N and D in a moving car.

Last edited by graaja : 5th July 2019 at 09:04.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 19:46   #6115
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
  1. For some reason, if you want to accelerate again before you fully stop, you will have to shift to D from N as the car is still moving. I am not sure if this is good for the gearbox.
With the DSG, this is not an issue because it doesn't just engage the gear and leave it at that, it actually matches the throttle input to match the speed at the most appropriate gear. I do this often, never had the gearbox reacting violently, it smoothly shifts directly to D2 - D7.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 15:05   #6116
BHPian

I do feel the jerks from D3-D2 and D2-D1. Especially when slowing down on a downhill stretch and trying to coast. I notice this when entering my work campus or going down the ramps at my home basement parking.

Eg: I go down 3 levels to park at my apartment complex. The down ramps are spiral. The first ramp to Basment 1 is where the car aggressively goes down to D1 and barely moves downhill. A passenger or driver of a car following me might assume I have stepped on the brakes, although I haven't touched the brakes at all. All I have done is taken my foot off the accelerator pedal. The second and third down ramps are when the car selects D2 and rolls down more easily. This is where I have to start applying the brake to slow it down.

During the first check (1 Month Swagat Service) I complained about this behavior at the service station. A mechanic was sent with me for a test drive. Strangely neither him nor me could reproduce this issue on the ups and downs near the service center. The car maintained D2 on slow downhill drives and never went down to D1 with a jerk. I almost thought of taking him back to my residential complex to demonstrate the issue. May be next time. The mechanic also mentioned that the car DSG software is the latest with the latest patch. Don't know how he could be so sure without checking.

I am used to regular torque convertors and Ford DCT gear boxes. Slow driving in traffic, parking lots, office campuses etc. is always done with foot off the accelerator and close to brake pedal / ready to hit the brakes. With this car I need to have my foot on the accelerator, gently pressed to prevent the car from kicking down to D1. A bit disconcerting for me, from a safety perspective. It also gets very tiring in traffic.

Received a welcome kit with windshield washer fluid, car shampoo, a couple of different sponges and wipes. Thoughtful I might say.

Purchased the additional 2 year warranty at the service center for 18500 odd Indian Rupees. 4+2 years Warranty is worth the additional peace of mind with DSG.

Some photos attached taken at VW Hyderabad service center followed by couple of pics of my shiny new GT.

PS: The reggo is photoshopped, so don't go doing reverse lookups. The real registration number is pretty close and symmetrical digits too (pure luck, not paid).
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-vlcsnap2019070614h47m58s631.png  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7570.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7571.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7572.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-vlcsnap2019070614h48m28s731.png  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-vlcsnap2019070614h49m06s490.png  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-vlcsnap2019070614h50m34s501.png  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7511.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_7512.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th July 2019 at 10:30. Reason: Removing additional spacing
keith2524 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 21:34   #6117
BHPian

Update on my GT TSI. 7 months in. ~3500+ KM.

I have been facing jerk/lag right from day one. Raised it in the 6 month service and they did road testing + SW upgrade that made the car smooth. Rare jerks/lags. However it started coming back again a few days back.

Basically, I face the following
- Driving at D6/D7 if I press the brakes to slow down (and not to come to a standstill) - the gear indicator drops to D3/D4 and then it auto-corrects to the right gear (e.g. D5) after a few secs as the speed comes down. There is no jerk here unless I need to accelerate again in which case the jerk comes or I see a lag before it picks up pace
- On slower speed, the gear drops down (e.g. D3 to D2) and if I need to accelerate again, it feels like the car is in a gear lower than what it should be, leading to either a jerk or lag/RPM rush before it picks up pace. The experience is similar how a MT will behave if you are driving in a gear lower than desired
- The jerks are profound on deceleration in S mode e.g. S3 to S2

When I had done the test drive (or during the few weeks post the 6 month service) - the gear box and driving experience was flawless. I had test driven on gurgaon roads full of potholes. It was the smooth experience that made us buy this in the first place.

However, it is anything but that now. I had to drive it gently and always with a worry that I will see a jerk or a big lag if I use the breaks. I am not an aggressive driver but I need to treat this car like a baby. I feel almost all gear changes except for D4 to D7 when linearly accelerating. It just spoils the fun and makes me wonder why did I buy it in the first place.

The service staff reassured that if it comes back they will send it to the VW team for a thorough check and all will be taken care of since the car is new and under warranty (I took the extended warranty).

Can friends here suggest if the above situation is common, am I reading too much into this? Should I push for a DSG replacement/thorough check or just learn to live with it?
Old 6th July 2019, 21:43   #6118
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think you should have to learn to live with a driving experience that is less than with the car you test-drove: it's not what you bought.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:26   #6119
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here installed a 360 degree parking camera system?
Old 8th July 2019, 00:34   #6120
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Basically, I face the following
- Driving at D6/D7 if I press the brakes to slow down (and not to come to a standstill) - the gear indicator drops to D3/D4 and then it auto-corrects to the right gear (e.g. D5) after a few secs as the speed comes down. There is no jerk here unless I need to accelerate again in which case the jerk comes or I see a lag before it picks up pace
- On slower speed, the gear drops down (e.g. D3 to D2) and if I need to accelerate again, it feels like the car is in a gear lower than what it should be, leading to either a jerk or lag/RPM rush before it picks up pace. The experience is similar how a MT will behave if you are driving in a gear lower than desired
Your observations are correct, you may have missed these in the test vehicle (I did too! the senses are not so tuned then). While it is the best auto gearbox I've driven, it is still irritating because of the way the software is tuned for western traffic conditions. Having said that, these are not really issues, once you spend more time with the DSG, you'll get around these without much of a cautious approach.

BTW, I drive 90% in manual, post the 1-2 gear it works much better.

Most Viewed