Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 22:09   #6136
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
No remap done ever and followed rules to the T(Shift to neutral at signals etc. etc.)
Did you use the D/S mode more often or the Tiptronic?
Old 17th July 2019, 22:53   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post

Did you have any tell-tale symptoms before the actual failure? Maybe some sound in the lower gears which is what many have mentioned here?
No symptoms at all buddy! One fine day

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th July 2019 at 00:35. Reason: Fixing quote tags
RJ2285 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 07:25   #6138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Did you use the D/S mode more often or the Tiptronic?
Only D mode with a light foot!
Old 18th July 2019, 07:41   #6139
BHPian

Quote:
No symptoms at all buddy! One fine day
Sad to hear the DSG failure, hope you get the warranty claim approved. Was it predominantly driven within the city during rush hours? What is the city:highway ratio of kms clocked?

Also please do post the cost of DSG + Clutch plate.

Rgds,
VS
Old 18th July 2019, 07:51   #6140
BHPian

Quote:
Only D mode with a light foot!
My 2p on the GT TSi. The car prefers a confident and firm right foot. It prefers to be revved high. With a light foot, the car is unsure if you are accelerating or decelerating which leads to various issues with the DSG box.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 08:12   #6141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Sad to hear the DSG failure, hope you get the warranty claim approved. Was it predominantly driven within the city during rush hours? What is the city:highway ratio of kms clocked?

Rgds,
VS
80-20 City-Highway. But even in bumper to bumper traffic, any halt more than 3 seconds, i always shifted to neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
My 2p on the GT TSi. The car prefers a confident and firm right foot. It prefers to be revved high. With a light foot, the car is unsure if you are accelerating or decelerating which leads to various issues with the DSG box.
D1 to D2 has always been with a light foot. Post that, slightly firm. I have never ever floored the pedal nor driven aggressively in S mode.

Its been 36 hours now since i gave my car. The service manager is yet to get back to me. He is aware of the addon warranty though. I am assuming the approval process might take time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th July 2019 at 09:01. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions to address your reply.
Old 18th July 2019, 10:44   #6142
BHPian

Hi guys,
Does anyone know the specifications of the stereo system on the Polo? The brand, wattage, frequency, impedance, etc?

Need it for a bit of research.
Old 18th July 2019, 13:40   #6143

Quote:
That dreaded day finally arrives. Fear that was always present at the back of my head came right in front staring in my eyes.

Gearbox Mechatronic failure!!
Dec-2014 Model, 42,700Kms only. No remap done ever and followed rules to the T(Shift to neutral at signals etc. etc.)

I was driving from Bandra Kurla Complex towards Andheri at around 7pm when there was a slight jerk and the CHECK ENGINE light flickered only to realise that the car would not go beyond D2.

Fortunately, the car did not stall. I put the gear in tiptronic mode and the only gear changes i saw was from 2 to 4 which meant the clutch that shifted gears 1,3,5 and 7 had gone kaput.

I managed to drive and drop the car at VW Autobahn, Goregaon Workshop. Workshop was shut by then.

i have opted for the Addon warranty in December 2018. Hopefully the damage should be covered. I will speak to the workshop tomorrow morning and keep you'll posted.
Do not pay anything for the mechatronics failure. The dealer will try to charge you , but AFAIK VW is aware of this problem and they do the replacement under goodwill. The only payments you might have to do is for the consumables.
I did face this last year when the dealer quoted me about 1.2-1.5 lacs for the replacement. Once I told them that I will take it up with VW they said they will replace it under goodwill.

Hope you also get it under the same.
Thanks
Abhishek
abhi_krishna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 14:51   #6144
BHPian

So my Polo is around 2.5 years old and the battery suddenly conked off yesterday (Exide). I made a stop mid way from office to pick up some stuff and the car wouldn't start. I had started noticing some early signs like music system flickering at cold starts and few miss fires at odd times but wasn't sure. The car goes to VW ASS for service every time. I'm surprised that the battery life is so low. Since I call for pick up and drop for servicing, not sure if someone swapped my battery with an older one in my absence.

I have also noticed that the DSG hesitates or gets confused when I hit a pothole or a sharp drain (usually cut across the road to lay pipelines) at slow speeds. This happens as I exit the drain/pothole and the wheels hit the tarmac. This does not happen if only one wheel hits the pothole/drain. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 19th July 2019, 15:23   #6145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
The car goes to VW ASS for service every time. I'm surprised that the battery life is so low. Since I call for pick up and drop for servicing, not sure if someone swapped my battery with an older one in my absence.

I have also noticed that the DSG hesitates or gets confused when I hit a pothole or a sharp drain (usually cut across the road to lay pipelines) at slow speeds. This happens as I exit the drain/pothole and the wheels hit the tarmac. This does not happen if only one wheel hits the pothole/drain. Anyone else experienced this?
Ensuring that the battery serial number is made note of in the job card and checking it when taking delivery is a good practice to prevent swapping.

On the second one, it does happen when one is on low revs in D2, and in an accelerating state (light foot). The resistance of climbing out of the pothole/drain has the gearbox shift to D1 from the readiness for D3.

Last edited by swissknife : 19th July 2019 at 15:29.
Old 19th July 2019, 15:27   #6146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hello Lionell,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

On a related note, would you also know if the upcoming facelift would have the new 1.0 3 cylinder engine?

The 3 cylinder engine and the speed warning were the reasons I was willing to go for the current, pre facelift version. But with one out of those two things gone, my confidence is wavering. Just yesterday, news outlets have picked up images of camouflaged Polos/ Ventos undergoing testing.
There are speculations that the 1.0 TSI will make its way. When is the question? There was a recent article on moneycontrol.com that also speculates the engine being considered. VW has always been a bit unpredictable in rolling out things and this could be no different.

The article also speculates the Polo receiving a LED headlight setup. That I believe is too far fetched as it will bump up the price considerably. The test cars I saw in Jodhpur, Rajasthan did not have an LED set up, but the regular twin barrel halogen headlamps.

The bumpers (front and rear) were GTesque though. It was a completely un-camouflaged car.

IMO, the bumpers really looked good

Last edited by lionell : 19th July 2019 at 15:28. Reason: grammar
Old 19th July 2019, 19:27   #6147
BHPian

Quote:

Its been 36 hours now since i gave my car. The service manager is yet to get back to me. He is aware of the addon warranty though. I am assuming the approval process might take time.
The service manager called up at 11am today mentioning that they have diagnosed the problem and it is a Mechatronic Failure. They are writing to VW for an approval for replacement and ordering the part as well.

Timeline they have requested for is 2 weeks.
RJ2285 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 20:08   #6148
BHPian

Quote:
The service manager called up at 11am today mentioning that they have diagnosed the problem and it is a Mechatronic Failure. They are writing to VW for an approval for replacement and ordering the part as well.

Timeline they have requested for is 2 weeks.
Two weeks is a long time! Maybe you should ask for a courtesy car?
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 23:22   #6149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Two weeks is a long time! Maybe you should ask for a courtesy car?
I should have buddy. Fortunately, i have been driving our 2nd car, the Honda City i-vtec MT.

MT is a pain in bombay due to bumper to bumper traffic and metro work. Still does the job well, hence, i am not cribbing
Old 20th July 2019, 10:33   #6150
BANNED

Quote:
I should have buddy. Fortunately, i have been driving our 2nd car, the Honda City i-vtec MT.

MT is a pain in bombay due to bumper to bumper traffic and metro work. Still does the job well, hence, i am not cribbing
I have been looking for a person who drives a turbo and a NA petrol engine, and I got you. How will you rate a turbo petrol engine compared to a NA petrol. I meant only the engine as DSG definitely has an upper hand in gearbox department.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks