Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 11:24   #6151
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I have been looking for a person who drives a turbo and a NA petrol engine, and I got you. How will you rate a turbo petrol engine compared to a NA petrol. I meant only the engine as DSG definitely has an upper hand in gearbox department.
In my view, from an engine standpoint, Turbo Petrols are definitely more fun to drive than the 1.5 i-vtec NA engines. Turbo petrols - My pick.

NA engines can get boring in the city, but if you are in the mood of redlining it on the expressway, NA engines too have the capability of plastering a smile on your face,especially, the 1.5 ivtec MT only.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 22:47   #6152
BHPian

Was getting an itch to do something. So, this happened... This was my first pure carbon fiber experience, and I was bamboozled by how light it was...the Key cover is an absolute no brainer, should have done it a long time ago.

And best of all, no aliexpress waiting. . Almost similar rates from an Indian website.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20190721_223703.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20190721_223824.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20190721_223309.jpg  

d_himan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:12   #6153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
The service manager called up at 11am today mentioning that they have diagnosed the problem and it is a Mechatronic Failure. They are writing to VW for an approval for replacement and ordering the part as well.

Timeline they have requested for is 2 weeks.
I got a call from the service manager that when they reached out to VW for an approval, VW asked the workshop to follow couple of mandatory steps:-

1. Update the DSG Software
2.Post update, drive the car for 40kms.

If the problem doesnt occur during the trial, the DSG box just needed a software update.

The service manager said they followed both steps and the car is running absolutely fine.

On hearing that i asked what if i get stranded again. How can a confirmed mechatronic failure be converted to a mere software update?

To that, he said they are sure that the problem is resolved however, if i gave him INR 1000 approval for fuel, they will take further trials for 1 more day and come back to me.

I have approved his request, however, i still get a feeling they are playing smart.

My Add-on warranty expires in December and hope this is not their solution of postponing the inevitable beyond December and they might not grant me Add-on warranty for another year owing to this issue.

Has anyone on the forum gone through a similar experience? Any suggestions
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:56   #6154
BHPian

Quote:
My Add-on warranty expires in December and hope this is not their solution of postponing the inevitable beyond December and they might not grant me Add-on warranty for another year owing to this issue.

If they're saying the car is OK, take it in writing. They can't refuse to give you add on warranty if the car is being maintained at VW, and all recommended repairs are being carried out.

Regarding what you're terming as mechatronic failure, it could be that the software parameters made it go into limp mode, which is possible to correct with a software upgrade. So, fingers crossed and good luck!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:07   #6155
BHPian

Quote:
To that, he said they are sure that the problem is resolved however, if i gave him INR 1000 approval for fuel, they will take further trials for 1 more day and come back to me.
If I were you, and had the time - I would go with them for the trials for my peace of mind. You are paying for it anyways!

You can get the add-on warranty right now even before your current one expires. You should probably just do that right way so that you are covered...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 13:33. Reason: Reducing spacing
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:25   #6156
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call from the service manager that when they reached out to VW for an approval, VW asked the workshop to follow couple of mandatory steps:-

If the problem doesnt occur during the trial, the DSG box just needed a software update.

The service manager said they followed both steps and the car is running absolutely fine.

On hearing that i asked what if i get stranded again. How can a confirmed mechatronic failure be converted to a mere software update?

I have approved his request, however, i still get a feeling they are playing smart.

Hello

Good that the issue is sorted out; regarding how well it has been sorted out is always a question which keeps lingering in the minds especially after a breakdown and i am sure it is the case with any car or any sort of breakdown.

Like many others have said here this 1.2 TSi /DSG combo is real pleasure when it works well; but always keeps you on the tenterhooks as to a problem simply because of the combination of elctronics and mechanicals which make it up. Many times we as customers feel more frustrated because of the imcompetent way most service centres handle the issue. While the issue in itself might not be major; it is the service centres which prolong the issue and lose credibility both for themselves and the brand as such.

I honestly feel that once you have been bitten by the bug you might as well swallow some bitter pills

Please do try and go for the test drive and if possible do the 40km drive yourself along with the service manager.

Regarding your warranty expiry and your doubts about issue cropping up again you can always have this in record and push them IF something does happen. Worry about that later!

Good Luck

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2019 at 18:47. Reason: Spacing and formatting
atlantis0965 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:43   #6157
Distinguished - BHPian

A decade or three ago, I had a problem with aVW Golf that felt very mechanical: it was really hard to engage a certain gear. They chaged the gearbox oil (a different kind of "software," I suppose!) and I was very dubious. But... it worked!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:59   #6158
Team-BHP Support

Two things:

1. Anything not committed in writing is as good as unsaid. Nobody will honor a verbal commitment.
2. Do trial runs yourself, possibly on stretches where availability of roadside assistance is known.

Trust, but verify.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:14   #6159
Senior - BHPian

What does the 1st year service entail? VW Nagavara has called and informed about some 1 year service package for 13,333 which includes the service plus some goodies like alignment, wash, pickup drop, etc.

Is it worth it?
Old 24th July 2019, 09:17   #6160
BHPian

Quote:

he said they are sure that the problem is resolved however, if i gave him INR 1000 approval for fuel, they will take further trials for 1 more day and come back to me. :
Got a call last evening from the service manager. After the extended trials they realised that problem still persists and have concluded that it is a Mechatronic failure.

They have written to VW for replacenent of part and will get back to me with ETA by end of day today.

I could not go for the extended trial runs as i was down with viral fever
RJ2285 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:52   #6161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
What does the 1st year service entail? VW Nagavara has called and informed about some 1 year service package for 13,333 which includes the service plus some goodies like alignment, wash, pickup drop, etc.

Is it worth it?
The full service won't cost more than 8 or 9K without add ons. Not worth it IMO.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:57   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The full service won't cost more than 8 or 9K without add ons. Not worth it IMO.
Does VW have a service price promise like Ford does? Is the cost of service listed somewhere online? How do I take this up with the service center, because they said 1st service without the package would be about 14500.
Old 24th July 2019, 11:07   #6163
BHPian

Quote:

Is it worth it?
The first year service in 2018 cost me about 7500 inclusive of parts and labour. The additional cost was for some coating and ac cleaning etc. which I categorically refused.

The second year service in 2019 cost me 14500 inclusive of parts and labour, I opted for the carbon activated AC air filter and the now mandatory VW official petrol additive worth about 1200. That pushed up the cost.

So I guess the second year service costs are aligned to what they mention, but the first year service costs seem a bit high.
Old 24th July 2019, 12:58   #6164
BHPian

Quote:
Does VW have a service price promise like Ford does? Is the cost of service listed somewhere online? How do I take this up with the service center, because they said 1st service without the package would be about 14500.
Take a look at the attached service guide and you can ask for prices of each item.

I feel the service centre is pushing you to take the package for no good reason. Speak to another SC if you have one available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf volkswagen-maintenance-labour-operations-option.pdf (432.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 24th July 2019, 17:30   #6165
BHPian

I just got back from the ASC, the rack and pinion set up has gone bust and the steering shudders with a knocking sound over continuous rough roads.

Have done 30,000kms only and have faced a leaking left strut and now this. I am surprised with the part quality having gone so low. The car has been driven carefully and only in good city roads and national highways (long distance touring).

The set-up will be changed under warranty!
lionell is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks