Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 16:38   #6181
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Why do you want to change to 16"? For a hatch this size, 15" is quite good & gives better ride quality with right profile tyres. With 16" you are confining yourself to fairly short side-walls and stiffer rides. Our roads aren't too kind generally. Looks aside I think 15" are more practical for routine use. And of course - the tyres are cheaper in R15 spec compared to R16.

Do check if your planned R16 wheel+tyre combo fits properly in the boot space for spare wheel. Otherwise you might have to opt for a differently sized spare wheel.
I agree, the 15" is better for our roads than the 16" ones primarily for the additional sidewall.

In any case, the spare wheel is a doughnut.
Old 30th July 2019, 20:23   #6182
BHPian

Hi guys,

I recently got a few mods done on my car :
  • Borla Boomer Thumper Exhuast (#40057)
  • Automech SS 2" downpipe with a resonator and cat delete
  • EBC Pads
  • REVO Stage 1 Remap

The next on my list is the suspension setup - I am completely sold on the Bilstein B6 (front and back) but split in two minds regarding the lowering springs (Eibach).

Has anyone progressively installed these two with some time-gap between the upgrades - to properly experience the difference between B6 with stock springs and B6 with Eibach lowered springs? I would really appreciate some inputs on this.

Thanks!
GTp0wer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:51   #6183
BHPian

Hello,

If anyone has taken delivery of a GT manufactured in July, please do post a video on how the overspeed warning works, please.

I live on ECR, where I average speeds of around 100 and it looks like I will spend the entire time hearing beeps and warnings!
Old 1st August 2019, 01:08   #6184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
Hi guys,

I recently got a few mods done on my car :
  • Borla Boomer Thumper Exhuast (#40057)
  • Automech SS 2" downpipe with a resonator and cat delete
  • EBC Pads
  • REVO Stage 1 Remap
Some pictures of the car and maybe a short audio clip of the exhaust note would be nice. And don't give us a static car being revved, some acceleration videos and flybys are a must!

Quote:
The next on my list is the suspension setup - I am completely sold on the Bilstein B6 (front and back) but split in two minds regarding the lowering springs (Eibach).

Has anyone progressively installed these two with some time-gap between the upgrades - to properly experience the difference between B6 with stock springs and B6 with Eibach lowered springs? I would really appreciate some inputs on this.

Thanks!
Fellow member speed_kills had this Bilstein B6 + Eibach pro kit springs setup on his Vento. He loved the combo and was thoroughly satisfied with it.

However, I have also read that the B6, being a stock replacement damper (with no change in ride height) may not be compatible with a shorter spring setup such as the Eibach pro kit. For the Eibach springs to.be compatible, you.will have to get the B8 Bilsteins and this setup will be quite stiff, mind you. Perhaps not ideal for daily driving.

Why don't you give the Bilstein B3 OEM replacement springs a try along with the stock replacement B6 dampers? They may drop the ride height of the stock Indian Polo by about an inch max at all four corners, but you will get improved handling and the stock replacement springs will retain the ride quality to an extent and may not completely compromise it in the way Eibach may.

If you must have Eibach springs, I would suggest you look at other dampers like Sachs or Meyle struts. This will help achieve the desired handling and will also help retain some of that ride quality.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 23:10   #6185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Some pictures of the car and maybe a short audio clip of the exhaust note would be nice. And don't give us a static car being revved, some acceleration videos and flybys are a must!
I will post a detailed walk-through with pictures soon - however, let me share a few videos

There are three videos - one of a launch, one of a drive-by and one where I am accelerating in a tunnel.

I am a total noob in recording exhaust notes and have used a normal phone to record these. The real life exhaust notes are way better, hence I strongly urge everyone to use headphones while viewing to make the 'experience' as musical as possible

Quote:

Fellow member speed_kills had this Bilstein B6 + Eibach pro kit springs setup on his Vento. He loved the combo and was thoroughly satisfied with it.

However, I have also read that the B6, being a stock replacement damper (with no change in ride height) may not be compatible with a shorter spring setup such as the Eibach pro kit. For the Eibach springs to.be compatible, you.will have to get the B8 Bilsteins and this setup will be quite stiff, mind you. Perhaps not ideal for daily driving.

Why don't you give the Bilstein B3 OEM replacement springs a try along with the stock replacement B6 dampers? They may drop the ride height of the stock Indian Polo by about an inch max at all four corners, but you will get improved handling and the stock replacement springs will retain the ride quality to an extent and may not completely compromise it in the way Eibach may.

If you must have Eibach springs, I would suggest you look at other dampers like Sachs or Meyle struts. This will help achieve the desired handling and will also help retain some of that ride quality.
Thanks Suhaas for the detailed feedback on the potential options for my suspension setup. I will speak with speed_kills and research more on the B3 and Sachs/Meyle struts that you recommended.

I am planning to do a road-trip later this month, and hence want to expedite installing the suspension setup. Will keep you guys posted on this!
GTp0wer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:17   #6186
BHPian

On one side there are people cursing VW for their issues with emissions. On the other, we have "enthusiasts" who prefer to remove the catcon for flow through exhausts, louder horns, louder audio, bright lights and the list goes on.

Personally, I would prefer stricter policing for environmental pollution (air, light and sound).
But then,
swissknife is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:15   #6187
BHPian

Quote:
Please check for unusual suspension wear. While speaking with your SA, insist on checking the health of the dampers, link rods, ball joints and even the lower arm. If not in good nick, push for replacement under warranty if possible.
Had all the above components checked, thankfully no such issues found.

Quote:
Also, if the wiper blades haven't been changed, get that replaced pronto.
Front blades were last changed 20 months back, got these changed

Quote:
I'm not sure if the steering rack is different for 16" wheels, but it's possible.

Any brand of alloys is fine as long as it's a reputed one and is a genuine product. As for tyres, if you are the spirited kind, I would very strongly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST. Nothing else quite like it in the market. The premium you pay for it us worth it, I can vouch for it!
I did ask about the steering rack, SA says he don't see any difference as they keep replacing the racks from old GTs and to newer ones.
I am huge fan of Michelin's, infact tyres on my car were changed to PS3 (from stock MRF) right out of the showroom. So, yes Pilot Sport 4 if in case alloys are upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
When it comes to any machine, never change something thats not broken. So if next time the SA asks you fto change the spark plug - ask for an explanation for it. I don't think it should be changed if there are no apparent issues in driving or mileage etc. We are not owning cars so that they can meet their billing targets.
Thanks. I agree, and that's why I don't want to change something just because he was asking me to, hence the post. Also I wasn't sure about the items required to be attendant at 4th year service.

Quote:
Why do you want to change to 16"? For a hatch this size, 15" is quite good & gives better ride quality with right profile tyres. With 16" you are confining yourself to fairly short side-walls and stiffer rides. Our roads aren't too kind generally. Looks aside I think 15" are more practical for routine use. And of course - the tyres are cheaper in R15 spec compared to R16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I agree, the 15" is better for our roads than the 16" ones primarily for the additional sidewall.

In any case, the spare wheel is a doughnut.
Honestly, upsizing is purely for aesthetics I am totally in love with Momo Massimo alloys.

About the stiffer ride and shorter side wall argument, doesn't same applies to the new GT's with 16" wheels? AFAIK when VW upsized wheels from 15" there are no other changes made like changes to ABS or to suspensions, please correct me if I am wrong. I am probably missing something here but just want to have proper understanding before I make these purchases, as you all rightly pointed out I will be paying quite a premium for this upgrade.

Last edited by BlueEyes : 2nd August 2019 at 12:18.
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:24   #6188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
About the stiffer ride and shorter side wall argument, doesn't same applies to the new GT's with 16" wheels? AFAIK when VW upsized wheels from 15" there are no other changes made like changes to ABS or to suspensions, please correct me if I am wrong. I am probably missing something here but just want to have proper understanding before I make these purchases, as you all rightly pointed out I will be paying quite a premium for this upgrade.
To be honest - I don't know about any detailed changes in the latest GT's suspension. ABS generally won't need to be changed for such a small change really.

As for the ride - there is absolutely no doubt that it will be stiffer and bumpier with 16". Same potholes will give more thuds inside the cabin.

I can easily say this because I changed from 175/65R14 to 185/60R15 in my Vista. Basically to the same spec as a Manza / Zest which is pretty much the same car as a Vista. My car's ride got far more stiff. Smaller potholes are also felt far more than with the R14 wheels in past.

Yet - the ride is so much cushier in the Manza and the Zest compared to my tyre upsized Vista. So the suspension is definitely different. The Zest is also sold with 175/65R14 spec tyres in the lower trims by the way.

So the suspension is generally updated. I'd be really surprised if VW hasn't retuned it with the wheel spec change to R16.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:24   #6189
BHPian

Quote:
About the stiffer ride and shorter side wall argument, doesn't same applies to the new GT's with 16" wheels?.
I have 16's on my GT TSI for close to 6 years now - as long as you use softer sidewall tyres like Yoko earth , you won't struggle with a hard ride, but you'll lose out on the grip levels of something like S Drives . The flip side to 16's is rim bends - I have replaced at least 3 alloys (including relatively sturdy Momo quantum's) till date, and it does pinch !
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:59   #6190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Honestly, upsizing is purely for aesthetics I am totally in love with Momo Massimo alloys.

This 15" vs 16" argument that 15" wheels with taller sidewalls will offer a better ride is a huge misconception, and I speak from experience.

I had stock 15" on my car for 4 years and had swapped the factory MRF tyres for Continental MC5 in 195/60 R15. The profile may have been the same as stock, i.e. 60, but the wider contact patch meant the side wall was marginally taller than stock.

This did nothing for the ride quality. In fact, the ride was just about decent for the first 10k, but post that it got unbearably stiff and uncomfortable.

I gave my back some respite after I overhauled my car's suspension at 27k. At 29k I swapped the wheels and tyres, upsized to 16" and slapped on 205/50 R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST.

Since then, I've done about 3k and obviously it's too early to tell if the ride quality is better because the tyres are brand new, but I can safely say that the ride quality now is better than what it was on the Conti MC5 when the car was new and had done 3k on the clock.

Ride quality cannot be determined solely by the profile of the tyre or the diameter of the wheel. The suspension plays a large and critical role in the ride quality of the car. Even the type of tyre used makes a difference.

If VW is now offering 16" stock on their new Polos, there should be no problem in upsizing from 15" to 16". And it surely won't have any massive / adverse effect on the ride quality either.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:47   #6191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTp0wer View Post
I will post a detailed walk-through with pictures soon - however, let me share a few videos

There are three videos - one of a launch, one of a drive-by and one where I am accelerating in a tunnel.
Swweeett!!
The tunnel one sounds like the Honda Civic in NFS Underground 2.

Also, could you please share the cost around the exhaust mods?

Last edited by GrandTourer : 2nd August 2019 at 17:50.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 11:44   #6192
Senior - BHPian

Sharing a rather nifty metal case which should appeal to VAG owners in general. Adapted to hold the car's documents (tightly folded to accommodate in a circular case), it was originally a case containing VW coasters! purchased from here.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-31477603.png

Dear Mods, you may please move this post to an appropriate thread if this does not belong here
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:48   #6193
BHPian

Hi all, what could be a decent remap for GT TSI? There are multiple service providers and I am looking for a basic mapping only (Stage 1?). Which company has the best reputation for something less than 30k. If I am right, Pete's does it for around 20k, but don't want to miss out if there are any other companies doing a better job.

I am looking for a safe job, don't want to get into any sort of uncomfortable situations with warning signs, etc. So please suggest a tried and tested company.

Last edited by petrol_power : 14th August 2019 at 20:54.
petrol_power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:15   #6194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi all, what could be a decent remap for GT TSI? There are multiple service providers and I am looking for a basic mapping only (Stage 1?). Which company has the best reputation for something less than 30k. If I am right, Pete's does it for around 20k, but don't want to miss out if there are any other companies doing a better job.

I am looking for a safe job, don't want to get into any sort of uncomfortable situations with warning signs, etc. So please suggest a tried and tested company.
I have heard that Wolf has a good one, but it would be better if you ask Dr.Naren in his remaps thread.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:01   #6195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
VAG cars have been remapped for the past 8-9 years and it is the most mod-friendly car. So most tuners should be able to do a pretty decent job with stage 1 remap. Code-6, Wolf Moto, Petes, GT Tunerz are some of the tuners who can do a stage 1 remap. You can contact them, and decide to go with one whom you are comfortable with.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed