Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:00   #6256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question,

I had the roof wrapped in gloss black. However to make a perfect cut, the people had to remove the antenna by going through the roof lining.
IMHO You should have vetoed this and asked to complete the finish without cutting / removing anything stock for finish. But thats now afterthought.

Quote:
Any suggestions on what I should do next?
Realistically - just wait and hope that they reduce to levels where they can't be noticed easily. There is absolutely nothing else that you can do. There is no "Fix" for this other than replacing the insulation liner at A-S-S.

Quote:
I took the car back to 3M today, the person who applied it said that it should go away on its own. When I pressed him on how long he thinks it should take to go away, he wouldn't give me a specific answer.

Still, the people there seem to be nice enough. Hopefully they'll resolve it if the creases don't go away.

Also, could you please explain how it might go away on its own. Isn't it like a cloth that's been folded, where you've apply heat to remove the creases. Or perhaps I am missing something here?

Thanks!
No please don't apply heat or anything at any cost. Go away = reduce over time and reform to somewhat original state as the fibres that got sqeezed return to original state.

Please don't expect that it will return to its full original state. Mostly it will just reduce and be less noticeable like I mentioned above. Don't worry you'll start forgetting about it in a couple of weeks. Won't be a big deal. Even right now its not a huge eyesore. Nobody other than you will notice it even now. So chill.

While 3M will smile and be very kind in the interaction - trust me they can't do anythimg more than that. Its not something that can be "fixed". And no they are not going to replace it for you really.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:50. Reason: Spacing
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:10   #6257
BHPian

Why is the FE of this car lower than Vento TSI? Same engine, but Vento is bigger!
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:31   #6258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Why is the FE of this car lower than Vento TSI? Same engine, but Vento is bigger!
I have wondered this often too! Very valid question. As per SIAM data -
Vento TSI
Kerb Weight - 1174Kg
Mileage - 18.1 kmpl

Polo GT TSI
Kerb Weight - 1109Kg
Mileage - 17.1 kmpl

There's only 2 possible reasons. Variance in "standard test conditions" of ARAI ! Or VW has tuned the engine differently in the two cars for different dynamics. Perhaps different power and torque delivery curves causing this variance in FE figures. Polo might have been tuned sportier slightly.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:06   #6259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
IMHO You should have vetoed this and asked to complete the finish without cutting / removing anything stock for finish. But thats now afterthought.

Realistically - just wait and hope that they reduce to levels where they can't be noticed easily. There is absolutely nothing else that you can do. There is no "Fix" for this other than replacing the insulation liner at A-S-S.

Please don't expect that it will return to its full original state. Mostly it will just reduce and be less noticeable like I mentioned above. Don't worry you'll start forgetting about it in a couple of weeks. Won't be a big deal. Even right now its not a huge eyesore. Nobody other than you will notice it even now. So chill.
What I meant to say was, in order to properly apply the black film, they had to remove the antenna. Nothing was cut or removed.

Also, I have a slight concern as to whether this will affect my warranty/ service pack in any way. No wiring was touched, so I hope I'm good.

Yes, will have to live with it now. No more modifications for my car any time soon!

Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:48. Reason: Trimming / formatting quoted post
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:28   #6260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have a slight concern as to whether this will affect my warranty/ service pack in any way. No wiring was touched, so I hope I'm good.
Yes no worry about that. You can be at peace about that. Enjoy the wrap look! Although we won't mind having a look at the exterior picture and drool a bit too you know!
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:02   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Although we won't mind having a look at the exterior picture and drool a bit too you know!
I mean, you don't have to ask twice!

Even after going through all the worry for the past two days, I will admit the car looks so much better after the wrap.

Due to the rains, I haven't been able to take any pictures save for this one. But I'll share more soon!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20190901_184034_068.jpg  

Last edited by SS8939 : 3rd September 2019 at 16:06.
SS8939 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 08:02   #6262
BHPian

Quote:
I took the car back to 3M today, the person who applied it said that it should go away on its own. When I pressed him on how long he thinks it should take to go away, he wouldn't give me a specific answer.

Still, the people there seem to be nice enough. Hopefully they'll resolve it if the creases don't go away.

Also, could you please explain how it might go away on its own. Isn't it like a cloth that's been folded, where you've apply heat to remove the creases. Or perhaps I am missing something here?

Thanks!
It isn't the cloth that creases. The roof liner is made out of a delicate fibre like board which is then covered in fabric. The creases are on the board itself, so they might not go away completely.

Avoid applying heat. Since the fabric is glued on, heat might affect the glue and then there is no fix other than getting it reupholstered.
Viraat13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 09:08   #6263
BANNED

Quote:
What I meant to say was, in order to properly apply the black film, they had to remove the antenna. Nothing was cut or removed.

Thanks
Basically they should have removed the rear door rubber beadings and C pillar plastic covers in order to do this exercise. Then only the liner could be moved down easily. I think avoiding that step resulted in this. As others have shared, this won’t go away and become same as OEM ‘after some time’. Live with it and by the way the wrap looks super cool and I hope the car interior will also remain cool after this wrap

Last edited by pavi : 4th September 2019 at 09:09.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 19:45   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
It isn't the cloth that creases. The roof liner is made out of a delicate fibre like board which is then covered in fabric. The creases are on the board itself, so they might not go away completely.

Avoid applying heat. Since the fabric is glued on, heat might affect the glue and then there is no fix other than getting it reupholstered.
That makes sense. I'll leave it as it is and learn to live with it. Thank you for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Basically they should have removed the rear door rubber beadings and C pillar plastic covers in order to do this exercise. Then only the liner could be moved down easily. I think avoiding that step resulted in this. As others have shared, this won’t go away and become same as OEM ‘after some time’. Live with it and by the way the wrap looks super cool and I hope the car interior will also remain cool after this wrap
Thank you! The proceedure you've described is much more extensive than what they've done. Quite frankly, I feel that the less they meddle with the car, the better!

Off topic, but what's everyone's thoughts on the refresh? They've changed the grill pattern, changed the bumpers to GTI spec (personally think the rear looks worse now), some minor connectivity features and raised the price by 20 grand.

A reverse camera and LED's from the Vento would have been nice. I can rest easy today.

Last edited by SS8939 : 4th September 2019 at 19:47.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 23:48   #6265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I too have a 2015 March Polo and had two issues with the steering wheel right from day 1:
-There used to be a tak-tak-tak noise whenever the steering was turned.
-A thud noise when driven over potholes.
But I feel the car would do better with a new set of struts (Sachs or Bilsteins).
I faced the exact same issue with my TSI during the brief time I had it. In fact I had the steering column changed twice under warranty. I knew this was a recurring issue and that was the primary reason I sold the car. A brilliant car spoilt by a not so brilliant warranty department.
vickster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:30   #6266
BHPian

HI Forum,

I am a 2015 VW Jetta DSG owner, now my partner is looking for a small but safe automatic car for use within the city. VW Polo TSI is the obvious choice which comes to mind.

I am confused whether to go for a new car (very expensive, quoted 11.2L on road for GT TSI) or look for reasonable used ones (getting the same with 5L asking price, single owner, 2013 reg, 40k on the odo, via private dealer). What would you recommend?

Also a quick number on the annual insurance cost and the annual service cost of a GT TSI will help.

With this budget in mind (5L), are there any other safe automatic cars on the market that I could consider?

Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 17:53   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
HI Forum,

I am a 2015 VW Jetta DSG owner, now my partner is looking for a small but safe automatic car for use within the city. VW Polo TSI is the obvious choice which comes to mind.

I am confused whether to go for a new car (very expensive, quoted 11.2L on road for GT TSI) or look for reasonable used ones (getting the same with 5L asking price, single owner, 2013 reg, 40k on the odo, via private dealer). What would you recommend?

Also a quick number on the annual insurance cost and the annual service cost of a GT TSI will help.

With this budget in mind (5L), are there any other safe automatic cars on the market that I could consider?

Thanks
With a 2013 model you won't be getting any warranty, and the horror stories which we read about gearbox failures and other issues i think you should skip that car, if you want to go with a second hand car go with a newer model, with warranty intact, get the warranty extended if it's possible.

The only car with a good build quality and an automatic gearbox is the Tata Tiago XZA, you should take a test drive and see it for yourself, on road price is approx 6.7 lacks.

Tata is also launching a new model of nexon, you can look at that as well, it is safe, has a good powerful turbo petrol engine and a good ground clearance.

The yearly service cost for the GT will be around 10k if you skip unnecessary things like interior dry cleaning, ac disinfectant and some other things as well. When you purchase the car the insurance would be around 40k, but if you get it done from outside you can save some money, around 4k.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th September 2019 at 18:08. Reason: spacing and formatting for improved readability
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 18:44   #6268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
HI Forum,

Thanks
+1 to yesyeswe. A 2013 GT TSi would be out of warranty and as it has already done 40K, it may need clutch replacement anytime, and also if there is a DSG failure, you will have to bear the cost of the mechatronic replacement. Also, a 2013 model would miss almost all of the features found in the current gen GT (auto dimming IRVM, folding ORVM, HU with CarPlay/Android Auto etc). If you can stretch the budget, then I would suggest to go for a new GT TSi and get the maximum extended warranty. That will give you peace of mind. You will also have a fully loaded car.

Not sure if you would get a safe car in a budget of 5L. You will have to increase the budget and look at options like Ford Figo, Grand i10 Nios, Tata Tiago, Honda Jazz etc.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 19:51   #6269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
I think the previous gen Ford Figo, which came with 1.5 L (4 cylinder) engine and DCT transmission is a car to look at. Ford cars have tough build, nice to drive and this model came with ESP and possibly 6 airbags.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 18:29   #6270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster View Post
I faced the exact same issue with my TSI during the brief time I had it. In fact I had the steering column changed twice under warranty. I knew this was a recurring issue and that was the primary reason I sold the car. A brilliant car spoilt by a not so brilliant warranty department.
Can you please tell what exactly was the problem with steering. My GT TSI's steering feels extremely hard sometimes. I keep checking tyres for a puncture every time i find the steering hard.

Most Viewed