Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 22:18   #6301
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
T-Bhpians, I accidentally hit my Dad's Civic on a median while trying to take a U-turn causing a huge dent to the passenger side doors. Since then feeling a bit paranoid when driving my car in Bangalore. Are there are any aftermarket 360 degree/birds eye view camera fittings for the Polo GT TSi? Does the vehicle even support the functionality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't be paranoid and look for cameras: be careful! Learning these lessons the hard way is painful, but effective. Believe me, you will be more careful about positioning your car, for a turn like that, in future. You will be more careful, and you will do a visual check.

You can believe me... because I learned that particular lesson the hard way too!

Having said that, there are lots of situations in which I would love to have a 360 camera.
Have to agree with Thad. I also learnt the hard way and now always look and carefully place the car for a turn. Always make it a point to turn once I've covered half a car's length from the turn point. Something along those lines. You definitely do not need cameras.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:18   #6302
BHPian

Re: My TSI does not creep in D mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
My gym valet told me yesterday that I should get my car checked as it does not creep forward in D mode. This got me thinking and I realized this change in behavior since past 1 year or more. I clearly remember that GT creeps forward in D mode. But mine does not do that any longer. I don't recall when this changed.

Is there something broken or worn out which is resulting in this? Or is it some simple ECU setting? I notice that in N, the rpm is about 800 which goes up to 1000 when I shift to D (without any physical movement on ground).
Do get your rear brakes checked. Especially the hand brake cable adjustment. If the parking brake does not disengage properly, it would stop the car from creeping. It would also result in jerks during gearshifts specially in lower gears at low speeds as car tends to slightly brake as soon as there is a momentary pause in the torque output to wheels during shifting
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:25   #6303
BHPian

Re: My TSI does not creep in D mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
Do get your rear brakes checked. Especially the hand brake cable adjustment. If the parking brake does not disengage properly, it would stop the car from creeping. It would also result in jerks during gearshifts specially in lower gears at low speeds as car tends to slightly brake as soon as there is a momentary pause in the torque output to wheels during shifting
This could be the issue. There is noise while breaking as well. Maybe these two are related. Will get it checked. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:18   #6304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
You definitely do not need cameras.
Thank you for your opinion although I definitely disagree. If there are means out there to ensure safety of myself and fellow road travelers, I am going to be using them.
Old 18th September 2019, 13:47   #6305
BHPian

My GT is going in for a replacement of the steering column. It’s been like that for over a month now. Would you recommend anything else to be checked since I have driven it for this time period?

Is there anything else that a broken steering column could have affected?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th September 2019, 14:33   #6306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion although I definitely disagree. If there are means out there to ensure safety of myself and fellow road travelers, I am going to be using them.
Yes and no.

I recall the salesman who sold me my Swift, years ago trying to sell me rear bumper sensors. I was incredulous. I said, "it's a small hatchback and... I can drive. Not needed." Now my Polo has that as stock: it is there and I certainly listen to it when reversing.

I still wouldn't go out and buy one, and I hope I could still reverse a car into a tight spot without it.

Competent driving skills come first. Also, best to keep your eyes outside when driving. The manouver you describe does not need a camera: it needs a glance out of the window. And doing it with a camera would be a different skill to be learned.

And, like me, after decades of driving, gadgets or no gadgets, you might still make the occasional expensive mistake!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th September 2019 at 14:34.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:03   #6307
BHPian

Quote:
The relevant camera would be the dash cam for recording any incidents. But not 360 degree cameras, that you honestly don't need unless the vehicle is huge like an E-Class for example.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:50   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
it needs a glance out of the window. And doing it with a camera would be a different skill to be learned.
True. Camera would be useful to quickly glance and spot if there is any obstacles. But it doesn't give you the exact sense of distance and direction, so you still need to take a glance outside the window and do a quick survey before going ahead.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 23:12   #6309
BHPian

Hi,

Quick question, the panel behind the arm rest (one of the rear cup holder) has come off.

Could some one please advice me on how this can be fixed back please.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20190918_230949.jpg  

Old 19th September 2019, 07:29   #6310
BHPian

What would be the capacity of the windscreen washer tank in a Polo? I would like to add the correct ratio of rain-x.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:33   #6311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hi,

Quick question, the panel behind the arm rest (one of the rear cup holder) has come off.

Thanks!
The quality of this has been really going down over the years. My OEM hand rest has also become lose and the service center has blamed it on the leather addition on it.

Asked them to fix it and they said it can only be replaced and not tightened. Will have to do a DIY this weekend and fix it, hopefully.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 21:22   #6312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
The quality of this has been really going down over the years. My OEM hand rest has also become lose and the service center has blamed it on the leather addition on it.

Asked them to fix it and they said it can only be replaced and not tightened. Will have to do a DIY this weekend and fix it, hopefully.
In my case, the service person fixed the panel by hand and then added a missing screw as well. Total job took less than five minutes and I didn't have to pay anything.

I'm not sure where exactly your arm rest has been damaged, but I don't think it should be too tedious for a DIY. Hope it goes well!

Also, a quick update on how the car drives. I tried out S mode for the first time yesterday, the car completely changes character. I finally get why people say it sounds like a plane!

Thanks!
SS8939 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 10:40   #6313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
What would be the capacity of the windscreen washer tank in a Polo? I would like to add the correct ratio of rain-x.
It's around 4 litres i think
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 10:45   #6314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I read in a UK Polo forum that the tank is 3.5L and 5.4L for without and with headlight washer.

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=62561
Old 24th September 2019, 10:49   #6315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
What about using araldite not all the way around but like at the corners only, so that it would be easy to remove as well if needed.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks