Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 14:40   #6346
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
In thick traffic / stop-and-go traffic, I find the "S" mode to be better since it does not shift up till 3k RPM as against 2K in "D". This reduces the number of up / down shifts.
I like to move to N for long"ish" stoppages in traffic and doing it from S is slightly more cumbersome than from D. But I do get what you mean. Good to see so many different styles being discussed for such a transactional piece of driving. You gotta love this forum.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:36   #6347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
In traffic I have always stayed in D. S & Manual are only engaged for spirited driving. Frankly I bought the auto because I wanted the gear box to do all the working while I was in traffic
& moving to manual is something I really don't want to be doing while crawling in bumper to bumper.

It's inconvenient if you have to take manual control. But, it is still better than having to clutch in/clutch while at it.
The DQ200 isn't the best option for our conditions - heat + traffic, and a TC /CVT would be a better bet for heavy traffic drives.

Quote:
Also, what you mention about "staying in D2" is true when the car is moving. But when its stop and go traffic it will come down D1. Also D1 is a very short gear hence it quickly moves to D2 from what I feel.
The transmission shifts to/stays at D1 very very rarely. It moves to D2 also while creeping - i.e. From a standstill, in D mode, leave the brake, without touching the accelerator the car will creep and upshift to D2 while creeping ahead. I found this mildly amusing.

Quote:
Yup, it was always the mechatronic failure that I kept seeing in forums and was taken by surprise when VW SA told me its the multi-clutch. This is the 4th DSG car we have owned - We had the Laura and 2 generations of Superbs but the DQ250 in them never gave us any problems with all of them doing over 80k KMs each.

DQ200's Multi-clutch giving these type of problems at 20K KMs is just not acceptable in my opinion even though I wasn't charged for replacement it was a little but of an irritant being without a car for a week. Also the replacement cost was about 1.1 lakh which if I had to pay would have been massively painful.
Again, totally agree.
But, the main reason would be that the DQ250 aren't dry clutches like the DQ200 is, and hence are better suited for conditions involving a lot of slip, and consequentially, heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Appreciate if you can elaborate a bit more on this logic? If D mode is slipping the clutch in D2 and in M mode you are slipping the other clutch in M1, is it not the same wear and tear, but with a different clutch set?
Quote:
I think what veyron999 meant was that when you are in stop-go traffic and in D the gear box keeps switching between D1-D2-D1-D2.. since its very eager to move to D2 from D1 and goes back to D1 as you stop because of the traffic.
With every change in gear the clutch is used. So if you keep it in manual it stays in M1 and doesn't switch to the 2nd gear unless it goes to the redline. Hence the D1-D2 switches are reduced and further clutch is used less frequently. The gear box is very aggressive to move to D2 but IMHO keeping it in manual in traffic defeats the purpose of having an auto, at least for me.
The DSG is an automated manual gearbox essentially.
It's like a manual transmission except that the clutch is operated by the mechatronics unit instead of the driver. Just as in a manual transmission, you have to engage the gear, slip the clutch slightly before you fully engage the clutch.
So, in a manual, if you're in 2nd gear at <~10kmph you will have to slip the clutch or depress it fully to prevent a stall. The DSG would also have to slip the clutch till you reach a certain speed. That speed will be ~3-4 kmph for 1st gear, and >10kph for second gear (roughly). So, if you're at less than 10kmph in 2nd gear, the mechatronics will be slipping the clutch, causing it to heat more, and cause more wear.
Keeping the above in mind, when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, I shift to manual, and keep it in 1st gear. It will reduce slip (as compared to D2), and also the number of shifts from D1-D2-D1 as karan mentioned.

The point to note here is that the major wear on the clutches is caused while it is slipping, and not when it's fully engaged.

I feel that the DSG is programmed to move to D2 to prevent jerkiness in D1 at slow speeds. (Due to more aggressive engine braking in D1 than in D2)

Last edited by veyron999 : 7th October 2019 at 19:00.
veyron999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:20   #6348
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
I feel that the DSG is programmed to move to D2 to prevent jerkiness in D1 at slow speeds. (Due to more aggressive engine braking in D1 than in D2)
I agree, but also feel its a bit excessively fixed!, the way the DSG behaves between D1 and D2. If you shift to manual it refuses to shift to D2 unless you reach 2k rpm, completely opposite to the D mode.

What is interesting is that I just bought an Octavia with the same DQ200 and it seems to behave slightly differently. For example
1) the excessive down shifting on slightest braking doesn't exist
2) the slippage while starting off is much less, (maybe because of a new car and more powerful engine)

The above 2 coupled with a smoother engine have me driving the Octavia in D mode rather than M, which is use 90% of the time with the GT.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 19:27   #6349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I agree, but also feel its a bit excessively fixed!, the way the DSG behaves between D1 and D2. If you shift to manual it refuses to shift to D2 unless you reach 2k rpm, completely opposite to the D mode.

What is interesting is that I just bought an Octavia with the same DQ200 and it seems to behave slightly differently. For example
1) the excessive down shifting on slightest braking doesn't exist
2) the slippage while starting off is much less, (maybe because of a new car and more powerful engine)

The above 2 coupled with a smoother engine have me driving the Octavia in D mode rather than M, which is use 90% of the time with the GT.

We have an Octavia in the family too, and I too have felt that it slips less on the Octy. No sharp jerks like the D3->D2 on the GT either. Overall it seems like it's way more mature on the 1.8 TSI.
Can mostly be attributed to the more powerful engine, as I've read elsewhere.

Congratulations on your new car. It's a gem!

Last edited by veyron999 : 7th October 2019 at 19:36. Reason: grammar
veyron999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 23:20   #6350
BHPian

Quote:

The issue they said was more common in cars that run more in bumper to bumper type of traffic. Frankly my car's 90% running in the first two years was bumper to bumper
Thanks. 90% of my driving is in bumper to bumper Mumbai Western Express Highway traffic only. May be that’s why the mechatronic failed too followed by this.

I will have to wait and watch what the workshop folks come up with tomorrow. I dropped the car at the VW Autobahn, Ram Mandir today.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:45   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
I am going through a similar dilemma - whether to buy a new TSI at close to 11.5 on the road or buy a pre-owned around 5 lacs. If you are mentally ready to set apart another 1.2 lacs for the DSG related issues since car is outside warranty, then it makes sense to buy a pre-owner car. Your effective cost is 6 lacs which is still not bad for the best AT hatchback available. Most people buy the GT TSI only for the engine and DSG, and most of us are well aware that the car falls short of most other comparable vehicles in the 11-12 lacs budget on so many other categories / features. It's the absolute driving pleasure that tilts the buying decision - so if we can get it at 50% or even 60% of the original cost, why not?
Thanks ContentedBloke, its good to know I am thinking in the right direction.

BTW, I noticed that the ones I was seeing for around 5L were 2013 manufactured, and had 60K on the odometer.

Since then I have been looking for some more recent options and have singled out 2, which have 20k on the odometer, are 2016 manufactured, and the asking price is around 7L, what would be a good price for this specification? Where should I aim to take the negotiations?

I guess 2016 is a lot better than 2013 as many DSG issues were sorted by then, besides I am hoping it would be under extended warranty, but that remains to be seen.

Would be great to have the forums feedback on the same.

Regards
Old 9th October 2019, 09:54   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Since then I have been looking for some more recent options and have singled out 2, which have 20k on the odometer, are 2016 manufactured, and the asking price is around 7L, what would be a good price for this specification? Where should I aim to take the negotiations?
Last year I had bought an April 2016 Manufactured GT TSI in Pune, single owner, 11k on the ODO, literally like new, for pennies over 7L. Not sure if I got a great deal, and what you are seeing is priced correctly. But I would recommend you start around 6L and aim for 6.25-6.5.

If you like the car and it really is very good, then a little bit over may be worth it (I see that you're in Pune, so am I. In my experience it's difficult to get a clean TSI in Pune due to limited sellers - I searched daily for almost 2 months and was almost giving up till I found one).

Also please do get the history checked at BU Bhandari or similar. I found a lot of dodgy accident vehicles with cover up jobs so best to do your due diligence.

Hope this helps.
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 10:01   #6353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Last year I had bought an April 2016 Manufactured GT TSI in Pune, single owner, 11k on the ODO, literally like new, for pennies over 7L. Not sure if I got a great deal, and what you are seeing is priced correctly. But I would recommend you start around 6L and aim for 6.25-6.5.

Also please do get the history checked at BU Bhandari or similar. I found a lot of dodgy accident vehicles with cover up jobs so best to do your due diligence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your inputs. I am quite a novice at used-car buying.

Any checklist for what I can check myself? When checking out the interior, exterior and taking a test drive?

Can I take some professional help in getting the car checked out? Any pointers for the same in Pune?

Regards
Old 9th October 2019, 10:50   #6354
BHPian

Quote:
Any checklist for what I can check myself? When checking out the interior, exterior and taking a test drive?
Can I take some professional help in getting the car checked out? Any pointers for the same in Pune?
Regards
There is a team bhp guide. Here is the link (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).
In addition, just keep in mind that the DSG gearbox is the weakest link in the car so go for the newest, most sparingly used model you can get. Aim for a car under warranty and ask the VW dealer if you can still purchase an extended warranty. A single owner, bone stock car is ideal. If possible extend your search to Mumbai. I have seen several used GTIs here for around six lakhs (you can estimate the price to be paid using Orange Book) . For example, Quick Cars has one Link. I believe this is the same dealer GTO and a couple of other Bhpians have got a vehicle from. Try getting the car you want to buy to A VW dealership for an inspection. If not, then atleast a mechanic familiar with these cars. Lastly, with the recent floods in MH there may be a few flood damaged cars coming in so keep an eye out to avoid that.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:54   #6355
BHPian

Quote:
I think what veyron999 meant was that when you are in stop-go traffic and in D the gear box keeps switching between D1-D2-D1-D2.. since its very eager to move to D2 from D1 and goes back to D1 as you stop because of the traffic.
With every change in gear the clutch is used. So if you keep it in manual it stays in M1 and doesn't switch to the 2nd gear unless it goes to the redline. Hence the D1-D2 switches are reduced and further clutch is used less frequently. The gear box is very aggressive to move to D2 but IMHO keeping it in manual in traffic defeats the purpose of having an auto, at least for me.
Interesting. My car seems to be eager to get into D1, and not the other way around. This causes an unwanted jerky downshift to D1 from D2. In crawling traffic it mostly stays in D1. Do I have a dud gearbox?
Old 9th October 2019, 10:58   #6356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
There is a team bhp guide. Here is the link (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).
In addition, just keep in mind that the DSG gearbox is the weakest link in the car so go for the newest, most sparingly used model you can get. Aim for a car under warranty and ask the VW dealer if you can still purchase an extended warranty. A single owner, bone stock car is ideal.
In many cases, a car that's run a higher distance on highways is better than a car that has run a higher distance in crowded roads and worse still, bumper to bumper traffic. This applies to both automatic and manual gear boxes.

In reality, the number of hours that an engine has run is more important than the distance covered. Auto manufacturers should give an option to track the duration that an engine has run.

Would anyone know if this information is stored somewhere in the ECU?
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 11:09   #6357
BHPian

Is there an issue when the car is washed and water is sprayed in the engine bay?

I gave for a wash to 3M and they very briefly prayed water inside the engine bay. Been driving since 2 days now and no Christmas light on the MID. However, may be wrong but I feel the GB is holding D1 for a longer time than before.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:46   #6358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Interesting. My car seems to be eager to get into D1, and not the other way around. This causes an unwanted jerky downshift to D1 from D2. In crawling traffic it mostly stays in D1. Do I have a dud gearbox?
That's weird. Mine stays in D2 till the time I come to almost a halt. It sometimes downshifts to D1 just after a speed hump or if the road becomes patchy all of a sudden which is jerky- thats about it.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:49   #6359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Is there an issue when the car is washed and water is sprayed in the engine bay?

I gave for a wash to 3M and they very briefly prayed water inside the engine bay. Been driving since 2 days now and no Christmas light on the MID. However, may be wrong but I feel the GB is holding D1 for a longer time than before.
It's just your mind playing tricks on you.
VW washes the engine bay themselves. Don't think you have anything to worry about.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 15:24   #6360
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I noticed that the ones I was seeing for around 5L were 2013 manufactured, and had 60K on the odometer.

I guess 2016 is a lot better than 2013 as many DSG issues were sorted by then, besides I am hoping it would be under extended warranty, but that remains to be seen.

Would be great to have the forums feedback on the same.

Regards
I just went for a TD of the new Polo TSI and also Ameo DSG. Found that Polo acceleration was not that great (I remember my 2016 Vento with the same DSG performing much better!). The Ameo was also seemed to perform better with hardly any noticeable turbo lag.

When calculating the exchange value of my top of the line Honda City VX model (2016 REGN with 41km), I was offered 4.5 lacs by the dealer, even though Cars24 and OrangeBookValue are valuing around 7 lacs!

I feel putting money into new cars doesn't make financial sense seeing how quickly these new cars are depreciating - the primary market seems over priced while secondary market seems underpriced. Strangely, after going through OrangeBookValue and a few other sites. I also realised that the Polo TSI has a much better resale value than the Honda City (same year and Odo) even though the OTR of Honda is atleast 2-3 lacs more than the Polo and with much better features and specs. I don't know how to make sense of this! If I sell my Honda City, I can barely afford to buy a second hand Polo!
contentedbloke is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks