Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 21:04   #6361
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
That's weird. Mine stays in D2 till the time I come to almost a halt. It sometimes downshifts to D1 just after a speed hump or if the road becomes patchy all of a sudden which is jerky- thats about it.
Mine does exactly same, its been same since day 1 (2015). I drove the Polo for about 90 kms today in the city and I always get irritated by the downshifts on speed reduction.

Can someone confirm if this is normal behavior?: for example
>>Driving in D6,
>>I brake to a speed which could have been still maintained in D6 at say 1000+rpm
>>but the car shifts to D4 the moment it feels the braking
>> and then when I release the brake, it goes to D5 (realizing its not so slow as it thought it would be!)
>> when I reach for the accelerator, then there is a lag (some will understand what I mean) till the RPM catches up to 1600 or so (to match the speed in 5th) and then it engages to accelerate again
>> after 2 secs of that it reaches D6 again

All that shifting and lagging, all for nothing. There was no gear change required! Yes if I was on a track, this would have come in handy, but in traffic, why!

Just because of this behavior I always drive it in M, where it behaves normally (i.e. no anticipatory downshifting).

What really got me furious is that the Octavia with same DQ200 doesn't do this! its only a software making the GT TSI jumpy!
Old 9th October 2019, 22:07   #6362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Mine does exactly same, its been same since day 1 (2015). I drove the Polo for about 90 kms today in the city and I always get irritated by the downshifts on speed reduction.

Can someone confirm if this is normal behavior?
This happens sometimes. Not always. And yes that "lag" is painful. It takes that half a second before throttle responds to the input which is massively irritating. But now I can almost predict it when the lag will come and drive accordingly.

But D2 to D1 it only goes when I slow it down almost to a halt or a speed bump/patchy road comes in the way.
Old 10th October 2019, 14:31   #6363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

Can someone confirm if this is normal behavior?: for example
>>Driving in D6,
>>I brake to a speed which could have been still maintained in D6 at say 1000+rpm
>>but the car shifts to D4 the moment it feels the braking
>> and then when I release the brake, it goes to D5 (realizing its not so slow as it thought it would be!)
>> when I reach for the accelerator, then there is a lag (some will understand what I mean) till the RPM catches up to 1600 or so (to match the speed in 5th) and then it engages to accelerate again
>> after 2 secs of that it reaches D6 again

All that shifting and lagging, all for nothing. There was no gear change required! Yes if I was on a track, this would have come in handy, but in traffic, why!

Just because of this behavior I always drive it in M, where it behaves normally (i.e. no anticipatory downshifting).

What really got me furious is that the Octavia with same DQ200 doesn't do this! its only a software making the GT TSI jumpy!

Yeah, that seems to be the behaviour on my car too. It is mildly irritating, the number of down-shifts the gearbox does unnecessarily.

Not that it's a solution, but I've noticed that if won't downshift if you brake very gently. If your braking is hard/progressive, it will downshift. I try to keep my braking very gentle most of the times, so it works fine.
Old 10th October 2019, 19:16   #6364
BHPian

Hello guys,

I'd like your advice on a few things,

1. I have a rattle from the instrument cluster. It's randomly happens when the car is idling or coasting. It goes away when you turn off the ac. What can be done about this?

2. There is a metallic sounding rattle when the rear right wheel goes over a deep bump. I thought it might have something to do with the rear seat, but I don't think that's the case. Any suggestions on what it could be?

3. How much would replacing the headliner cost including labour?

4. Can the GTI bumper be retrofitted on older cars?

5. I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position no matter what I do. I have lower back pain as a result of this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Last edited by SS8939 : 10th October 2019 at 19:18.
Old 11th October 2019, 03:46   #6365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hello guys,

1. I have a rattle from the instrument cluster. It's randomly happens when the car is idling or coasting. It goes away when you turn off the ac. What can be done about this?

2. There is a metallic sounding rattle when the rear right wheel goes over a deep bump. I thought it might have something to do with the rear seat, but I don't think that's the case. Any suggestions on what it could be?

3. How much would replacing the headliner cost including labour?

4. Can the GTI bumper be retrofitted on older cars?

5. I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position no matter what I do. I have lower back pain as a result of this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
  1. It is the instrument cluster itself. DIY solution is to remove the right AC vent and put some foam padding in the empty space behind the instument cluster.
  2. Might be your spare wheel or one of the tools rattling around.
  3. Can't say, but what makes you need a new one?
  4. No reason it can't be fit. Body lines are still exactly the same
  5. I don't know why, but after I added an armrest, and beefed up the padding on the base of the seat, I was much more comfortable. Try a thin cushion and see if that helps?
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 13:55   #6366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
  1. It is the instrument cluster itself. DIY solution is to remove the right AC vent and put some foam padding in the empty space behind the instument cluster.
  2. Might be your spare wheel or one of the tools rattling around.
  3. Can't say, but what makes you need a new one?
  4. No reason it can't be fit. Body lines are still exactly the same
  5. I don't know why, but after I added an armrest, and beefed up the padding on the base of the seat, I was much more comfortable. Try a thin cushion and see if that helps?
1. I just noticed that you'd given the solution to this on another thread. So thank you for that!
2. It didn't occur to me to look at the spare wheel. But I think the rattle is coming from 'inside' the cabin.
3. 3m messed up the headliner while removing the antenna for the roof wrap. It's something I can live with for now, but I will get it changed eventually. Knowing the costs now will help avoid an unpleasant surprise for later. I have a feeling the rattle mentioned above is because of this.
4. That's great to hear. The facelift came out less than two weeks of getting my car. Will get it fitted sometime in the future.
5. You're absolutely right! I too felt that the base of the seat is a few inches lower than what would be ideal. Something I've noticed, raising the steering to the highest, most further position helps too.

And thanks for taking the time to answer, really appreciate it!

Last edited by SS8939 : 11th October 2019 at 13:59.
Old 12th October 2019, 09:28   #6367
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07G5TDGXS

This coccyx support seat has made long drives a pleasure. No more back pain. I tried a few soft cushion type seats (wasting money) before I found this one. It seems a bit counter intuitive to use a firm seat with rigid bottom. But trust me it really works. The pink one is INR 1000 cheaper than the blue one, if you don't mind the weird looks when people first notice it.
keith2524 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 10:11   #6368
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!
I experienced lower back and more of bum pain when I started using GT. What worked for me was - placing a folded double bed sheet in the 1/3rd of the seat towards back rest. This gives a bit of raise to hips and solved the issue. You can try this. Of course it looks weird to place a beds heet like this. But who's really watching and it serves the purpose. The Coccyx Seat suggested above is on similar lines, though it is quite expensive.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 10:21   #6369
BHPian

Re: My TSI does not creep in D mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
My gym valet told me yesterday that I should get my car checked as it does not creep forward in D mode. This got me thinking and I realized this change in behavior since past 1 year or more. I clearly remember that GT creeps forward in D mode. But mine does not do that any longer. I don't recall when this changed.
Please suggest. Thanks.
Just to update on this issue:
The "no creep in D mode" was solved by software reset by VW workshop. They call this process as adaptation and claim that it takes 6-7 hours to follow a set process. Don't know if all this is true but whatever they did worked and it did not cost me a penny. Now GT creeps (feel like a lunge to me now) when I let go of brakes in D mode. Thanks graaja for your advice to stay calm and get a software reset

My GT is completing 4 years in Oct end and the 2+2 warranty will end. VW is offering next 1 year addon warranty at 8000/- (after 5k discount on 13k price). Anyone has bought this? Is there scope for further price reduction?

Last edited by manish84 : 13th October 2019 at 10:23.
manish84 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 13:24   #6370
BHPian

Quote:
Just to update on this issue:
The "no creep in D mode" was solved by software reset by VW workshop. They call this process as adaptation and claim that it takes 6-7 hours to follow a set process.
Do we have to reset it at every service interval? I too got it done when I felt there was a certain jerk which has now completely gone (touching wood)

Quote:
My GT is completing 4 years in Oct end and the 2+2 warranty will end. VW is offering next 1 year addon warranty at 8000/- (after 5k discount on 13k price). Anyone has bought this? Is there scope for further price reduction?
That's the best price and please do buy it. They have a tendency to increase the prices very abruptly.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 13th October 2019 at 13:25.
Old 13th October 2019, 14:49   #6371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW is offering next 1 year addon warranty at 8000/- (after 5k discount on 13k price). Anyone has bought this? Is there scope for further price reduction?
Can't you buy for the next 3 years in one go, as VW is offering 7 years warranty in total?
Old 13th October 2019, 15:23   #6372
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Can't you buy for the next 3 years in one go, as VW is offering 7 years warranty in total?
No. That's is not possible. Only one year can be added to existing Warranty period. 7th year warranty can be opted only when the 6th year warranty is about to expire.
Old 13th October 2019, 16:43   #6373
BHPian

Yes, even this 5th year warranty can be bought only in last 2 weeks. Will surely buy this.
I don't think one needs to reset the DSG software at every service interval. But it surely removed lag and jerks.
Old 13th October 2019, 16:52   #6374
zen
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, even this 5th year warranty can be bought only in last 2 weeks. Will surely buy this.
Thanks for the info about the discount on the add-on warranty. Do you know if the discount is an offer for a specific period?

They had previously offered a discount at the start of 2019 for a limited period (just after i had purchased my 5th year warranty).
Old 13th October 2019, 16:58   #6375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
Thanks for the info about the discount on the add-on warranty. Do you know if the discount is an offer for a specific period?

They had previously offered a discount at the start of 2019 for a limited period (just after i had purchased my 5th year warranty).
I remember that on March 2019 they were offering 70% discount on add-on warranty. I got multiple SMSs for that. Maybe it was an year end effort. This discount is told to me by an executive who keeps calling me incessantly. Looks like it's standard. We have to only ask for it.
manish84 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed