Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 17:00   #6406
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
He said "If he had to pay", which is, he didn't have to pay.
My bad, getting older.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 28th October 2019, 19:16   #6407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Oh yes Taruun Sir, those were fun days ICE'ing your cars, especially the TJET+ build was epic

Hope you guys like it

Cheers
Link to buy this product please ..

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th October 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 31st October 2019, 22:43   #6408
BHPian

How does Polo GT TSI compare to Ameo DSG? While the Polo is an evergreen hit, Ameo is hard to find on the road. This is surprising for me, as both cars are similarly priced, fully loaded for their segment, and from the same brand. In fact, diesel automatics are much less common, and highly desired, as shown by Amaze CVT. What does the Polo have that the Ameo doesn't?

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 31st October 2019 at 22:45.
Old 31st October 2019, 22:50   #6409
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
How does Polo GT TSI compare to Ameo DSG? While the Polo is an evergreen hit, Ameo is hard to find on the road. This is surprising for me, as both cars are similarly priced, fully loaded for their segment, and from the same brand. In fact, diesel automatics are much less common, and highly desired, as shown by Amaze CVT. What does the Polo have that the Ameo doesn't?
Looks, engine refinement, sweet exhaust sound and lesser lag of TSI.
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:18   #6410
BHPian

Folks, added a Polo GT TSI to my 3 bimmer garage. Needed a small premium car for short runs and small errands. Car drives like a charm, no complaints so far. Except dealership filled 45 PSI in tyres so ride home was very disturbing but I figured this out quickly and set the pressure to 34 (I have 16 inch wheels).

Yesterday I asked my wife to get PUC done on 2 weeks old car only to find that it failed emission test. I hooked my ODB2 with basic scanner and figured that oxygen sensor and catalytic sensors were throwing errors. I opened the boot to check for loose connectors but everything was intact. While examining the bonnet I saw that the engine shield is missing!! Extremely disappointed. I was told that all VW cars had engine and chassis covers. Checked with dealer and he said that the engine cover is sold as accessory now for 8000 and he had no idea of chassis covers. Can anyone who has bought polo recently confirm this? Or check with your local dealers?

I am taking car for examination of failed emission test only after 500 KMs and 2 weeks! Really disappointed with VW quality. Though I picked up additional warranty covering car for 6 years.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:10   #6411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Yesterday I asked my wife to get PUC done on 2 weeks old car only to find that it failed emission test.
Emission problems with VW? Who'da thought it!

Curious experience. I don't suppose many people take a brand-new car for the test. I wonder how many would fail?

Hope you get everything sorted out to your satisfaction, and enjoy the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:23   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Emission problems with VW? Who'da thought it!

Curious experience. I don't suppose many people take a brand-new car for the test. I wonder how many would fail?

Hope you get everything sorted out to your satisfaction, and enjoy the car.
I know! ��. I believe now even new cars are not exempted from PUC requirement thus the PUC test. Even I am surprised that the O2 sensor is caput/not working in 2 weeks old car. The worst part is that I tweeted the complaint and nobody from VWIndia responded. I will send the story now to auto car mags.

And lack of engine shield is frustrating. I mean this is a 11.5 lakh hatchback! This is basic stuff.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th November 2019 at 18:24. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:27   #6413
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hooked my ODB2 with basic scanner and figured that oxygen sensor and catalytic sensors were throwing errors.
Was the car throwing errors with engine check light? - if not, I'd not be too sure with a ODB2 scanner, which may not be compatible or configured.

Quote:
Checked with dealer and he said that the engine cover is sold as accessory now for 8000 and he had no idea of chassis covers. Can anyone who has bought polo recently confirm this? Or check with your local dealers?
What do you mean by engine cover? - Petrol GT, don't think ever had a full cover, and its not needed really!

What the dealer seems to be talking about is under-body engine plate.

Quote:
I am taking car for examination of failed emission test only after 500 KMs and 2 weeks! Really disappointed with VW quality. Though I picked up additional warranty covering car for 6 years.
OK, maybe there is more.
  1. Our idiotic PUC tests are far from real life and make the engine revv like crazy.
  2. You should never be revving a turbo-charged car like that, my heart cries every year when I have to get that done.
  3. Polo GT will fail at some PUC centers which can't get the exhaust properly because it is too wide for their thin tube that gets too much oxygen
  4. My car has a K&N and it fails to hold 2.5k - 3k rpm without load, and it trips after a few seconds to save the turbo from damage :(.
  5. Wait for a few days for the engine to completely run-in, then goto a new PUC in Delhi, get the test done with the AC on, so that the engine has some load and probably less damage to the turbo.
  6. New car has 3 months No-PUC grace, so no need to hurry, just track fuel economy and acceleration of your car, PUC should be all OK, if it drives OK.

Last edited by SLK : 2nd November 2019 at 17:29.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:34   #6414
Distinguished - BHPian

Under-body engine plate... No, I have not seen that on a Polo. Certainly not on my 2014 TDI.
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:37   #6415
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Was the car throwing errors with engine check light? - if not, I'd not be too sure with a ODB2 scanner, which may not be compatible or configured.

What do you mean by engine cover? - Petrol GT, don't think ever had a full cover, and its not needed really!

What the dealer seems to be talking about is under-body engine plate.

OK, maybe there is more.
  1. Our idiotic PUC tests are far from real life and make the engine revv like crazy.
  2. You should never be revving a turbo-charged car like that, my heart cries every year when I have to get that done.
  3. Polo GT will fail at some PUC centers which can't get the exhaust properly because it is too wide for their thin tube that gets too much oxygen
  4. My car has a K&N and it fails to hold 2.5k - 3k rpm without load, and it trips after a few seconds to save the turbo from damage :(.
  5. Wait for a few days for the engine to completely run-in, then goto a new PUC in Delhi, get the test done with the AC on, so that the engine has some load and probably less damage to the turbo.
  6. New car has 3 months No-PUC grace, so no need to hurry, just track fuel economy and acceleration of your car, PUC should be all OK, if it drives OK.

No errors shown, it simply failed PUC test at PUC center and then I decided to check errors using ODB2 tool, even in scan there is no error but when I do a emission check using scanner tool then it shows catalyst and oxygen sensor error.

I am referring to engine shield below (my bad I called it cover) and shields for rest of the chassis. I have seen the same on earlier polos and even Ameo.

The pollution test failed at idle and even in my scan the error were in emission module at idle and with engine properly warmed up. The FE is around 12-13 so that seems ok though our drive is mostly on expressway.

You are right 3 months is a grace time but with current issues I don't want to deal with ignorant cops and would prefer to keep all paperwork in place. BTW, I picked up a X4 5-6 days ago, that already has PUC certificate.

In any case, I am taking Polo for a thorough check up at dealership tomorrow and will also get engine shield (plate) installed.

Thanks again.

PS: yes the rest was done with AC on, this could be a reason. Thanks for a heads up!

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 2nd November 2019 at 17:39.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:47   #6416
BHPian

Quote:
No errors shown, it simply failed PUC test at PUC center and then I decided to check errors using ODB2 tool, even in scan there is no error but when I do a emission check using scanner tool then it shows catalyst and oxygen sensor error.

PS: yes the rest was done with AC on, this could be a reason. Thanks for a heads up!
I got my GT washed at a service centre and then went for the PUC certificate in Delhi. Guess what? It failed. The PUC centre guy told me that it could be due to the water in the exhaust from washing. Next day went to a different PUC center in Gurgaon near to my home and got it done again. Got the certificate. No issues what so ever. Maybe yours is also the same case. So get it done again at a different centre. Hope it helps.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 02:39   #6417
BHPian

Quote:
Mine does exactly same, its been same since day 1 (2015). I drove the Polo for about 90 kms today in the city and I always get irritated by the downshifts on speed reduction.

Can someone confirm if this is normal behavior?: for example
>>Driving in D6,
>>I brake to a speed which could have been still maintained in D6 at say 1000+rpm
>>but the car shifts to D4 the moment it feels the braking
>> and then when I release the brake, it goes to D5 (realizing its not so slow as it thought it would be!)
>> when I reach for the accelerator, then there is a lag (some will understand what I mean) till the RPM catches up to 1600 or so (to match the speed in 5th) and then it engages to accelerate again
>> after 2 secs of that it reaches D6 again

All that shifting and lagging, all for nothing. There was no gear change required! Yes if I was on a track, this would have come in handy, but in traffic, why!

Just because of this behavior I always drive it in M, where it behaves normally (i.e. no anticipatory downshifting).

What really got me furious is that the Octavia with same DQ200 doesn't do this! its only a software making the GT TSI jumpy!
I have the same issue with mine(2015). On a patchy road or on speed bumps the jerks at times are really annoying from D3 to D2 and from D2 to D1. This is certainly a software tuning issue which I fail to understand why hasn't been resolved yet because if I drive the car is manual mode, not even once I feel those jerks. Also the jerks become very aggressive when driving in sports mode as if you have smashed hard on the brakes.

Another thing which is annoying is to always adjust to the braking where I have to be a little harder on brakes when driving in manual mode because the car tends to roll more in the manual mode than in the Drive mode where the gearbox aggressively tends to lower down the gears leading to lowered pace as the only way to counter the jerks is to always keep hand on the gear to accelerate in D mode and shift to the manual mode when braking to lower speeds through out the drive.

I want to point out another issue here which I feel could be specific to my car but I still thought I should share. The accelerator pedal responses differently on different days. I don't know what is the reason for this but on one day I feel , on pressing the pedal just a little bit , the car feels eager to pickup speeds and on another day I feel like the car feels sluggish on the similar pedal input and I feel like pressing it a lot deeper to get the same response ultimately requiring me to drive it in sports mode.

Has any one felt the same and what could be the reason for this.

Last edited by nishchal316 : 4th November 2019 at 02:54. Reason: Forgot to mention something else
Old 4th November 2019, 09:32   #6418
BHPian

Spent 6 hours yesterday at Volkswagen workshop. And I have the most interesting story to share.

First thing, I got the engine shield installed. Highly recommend if you love your polo and want to keep it for long. Shield not only protects from impact to chamber but also dust and road grime. I have pictures but couldn't upload due to some permission issue on iPhone Team-BHP app. Will do it form laptop on few days when I get a chance.

Found a production line mistake of Volkswagen India, I couldn't have even imagined something like this! On scanning at workshop it kept throwing an error with rear door module, technician kept ignoring the message saying that this is common if door is not shut completely etc. I was not convinced and on investigation found that rear right door's power window was not operation from driver door control (all 4 windows can be operated from driver side) while the rear right side window was operational from its own switch.

I asked technician to open and check as per instructions by software. They checked all fuses, all couplers and opened both right door trims to examine. Couldn't locate any issue. I noticed that the rear right window motor only had 2 wires, I asked technician as to how is that possible if there is no other controller? He replied that usually there is a different coupler but may be Volkswagen changed the model wiring etc. I asked him to open left side rear door trim only to realise that there was indeed a 5 wires coupler and different motor.

Workshop assured me that they will escalate the case to Volkswagen India but I was not convinced and asked them to open right rear door trim of a brand new car in their stockyard and compare with mine.

Lo! And behold! The new car same as my car batch had a 5 wire coupler and different motor. It was now clear that this was clearly a production line error. The immediately got in action and to ensure that I am pacified immediately got wiring loom of that side along with couplers and new motor to replace the incorrect part. Post this, the error went away.

Though unrelated but got PUC done and it passed the emission test.

A day wasted for no mistake of mine.

I have all pictures and will post later.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 10:20   #6419
BHPian

Quote:

Why do you fear revving the car at a standstill?
PUC tests are done at idle and at 2500 rpm. The entire idea of PUC is to stimulate real world usage and 2500 rpm is well within that. That is hardly crazy revving. As long as the engine is warmed up, and you follow the one minute idle rule before switching off your turbo charged car, there is no harm. AC or no AC doesn't make any difference IMO.

Take a look at this related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/...o-charged-cars
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 11:33   #6420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Looks, engine refinement, sweet exhaust sound and lesser lag of TSI.
I test drove the Ameo diesel DSG prior to purchasing the Polo GT TSI

The Ameo was not a very refined creature , pretty noisy in side the cabin.Some diesels like the I20 are pretty quiet & vibration free, almost cannot make out that your are in a diesel.But not the Ameo.

The shape of the Ameo is also not very pleasing but this is thanks to the 4m rule that VW has had to curtail the smooth lines that the car could have normally had.

I think the Ameo is not doing too well in terms of sales numbers , dont see too many of them on the road

Most Viewed