Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 13:03   #6496
zen
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I've been trying to purchase add-on warranty for my 6th year of ownership and I'm being told by the service center that the amounts are being changed as a result of the merger with Skoda and the revised circulars are in the process of being issued.

Anyone else hear about this?
Old 29th December 2019, 12:55   #6497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Yeah, lots of sources have mentioned that it will be getting a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine, which they have internationally. It will have a higher state of tune(115Ps, 200Nm) than the current gen 1.2 TSI. Not sure about the dates though.

Other than the engines, I doubt there's going to be any other changes as they very recently "launched" the "facelift".

Any particular reason you're waiting for the BS6 in particular? You just might get some year end/BS4 stock related discounts on the current model, if you're lucky enough.
Lack of any discounts on the GT is the primary reason, thought might as well wait for the new engine.
Old 31st December 2019, 16:51   #6498
zen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I've been trying to purchase add-on warranty for my 6th year of ownership and I'm being told by the service center that the amounts are being changed as a result of the merger with Skoda and the revised circulars are in the process of being issued.

Anyone else hear about this?
Just an update on this - I just received a strange email from the local dealer saying "against your VIN, there is no add-on warranty now available. In future any offer regarding to this we will contact you immediately."

Looks like they're trying to squirrel out of letting me purchase the add-on warranty even though my vehicle satisfies all the criteria listed on the VW website:
- between 2-7 years old
- under 125000 kms on the odo
- regular services performed at VW service center

Just a warning to any others whose warranties might be expiring soon and will keep this thread updated with progress.

Also, any contacts to whom this could be escalated or other advice will be appreciated.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:53   #6499
BHPian

Got delivery of my new GT TSI for my wife this week. The requirements were:
  1. Smallest possible size given the famous Bangalore traffic
  2. Refined engine, preferably a 4 cylinder
  3. Good automatic
  4. And my own requirement - Good performance when I take it for an occasional spirited drive on the highways
There was no other car than the Polo GT TSI that was matching the above requirements. Also, did not want to wait for the 3-cylinder 1.0 TSI. If I was buying anyway, why wait for an inferior variant?

The only nagging hesitation was the DSG shenanigans, but finally decided to take the plunge.

The sales and delivery experience was excellent. After reading all the negative service issues, I was pleasantly surprised atleast on the sales side. Fingers crossed on the future service experience.

The dealer says GT TSI 1.2 production has stopped, and all deliveries are from whatever has been produced (or from the manufacturing pipelines).

Very initial impressions from city use:
  1. Gear box is an absolute joy to use. Flawless, in one word.
  2. Good build quality. But, my Verna build quality is equally good.
  3. Ride quality in city - a bit firm at the recommended tyre pressures. Need to experiment.
  4. Steering feels great to use
  5. Super refined engine, nice throttle sound
  6. Cramped rear seats. The center hump is prominent.
  7. The owners manual is a royal pain. It's a combined manual for Vento/Ameo/Polo for all variants. Sometimes you don't even know if a feature they're talking about, is available in your variant.
  8. Key fob quality is not good
Here's presenting the new Sunset Red colour:

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20200109_161039.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_20200109_155801015.jpg
PearlJam is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 12:00   #6500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Also, did not want to wait for the 3-cylinder 1.0 TSI. If I was buying anyway, why wait for an inferior variant?

The only nagging hesitation was the DSG shenanigans, but finally decided to take the plunge.
Congrats on the GT, colour looks nice as well. Couple of things:

1. Was the Lapiz Blue colour available for the GT variants, or has it been discontinued after its short initial run?

2. The new 1 liter TSI, from what I have read in the general media reports, will have much better power and torque figures than the current 1.2 TSI engine, i.e. 115 BHP and 200Nm torque. Those are fairly substantial improvements over current figures. Unless these numbers are inaccurate, not sure why you are saying that the new engine will be inferior. Of course, real world performance is yet to be revealed, but the numbers certainly look encouraging. Yes, it will have "just" 3 cylinders, but I would assume performance will be at par or better than the current 1.2 engine.

As for DSG woes, well, I certainly wish you all the luck so that you have a trouble free experience!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 13th January 2020 at 12:01.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 12:06   #6501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
1. Was the Lapiz Blue colour available for the GT variants, or has it been discontinued after its short initial run?

2. The new 1 liter TSI, from what I have read in the general media reports, will have much better power and torque figures than the current 1.2 TSI engine, i.e. 115 BHP and 200Nm torque. Those are fairly substantial improvements over current figures. Unless these numbers are inaccurate, not sure why you are saying that the new engine will be inferior. Of course, real world performance is yet to be revealed, but the numbers certainly look encouraging.
  1. Yes, Lapiz blue was available
  2. There's no replacement for displacement! Also, 3 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced with more vibrations, especially at idle (though they have massively improved over the years). Also note that figures you mention are peak figures. Drivability would definitely suffer. Reports suggest that the 1.0 needs to be pushed harder to get the required performance, which is completely believable, but nobody knows yet. Also, the price would take a jump up too.

Last edited by PearlJam : 13th January 2020 at 12:08.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:21   #6502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Also, 3 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced with more vibrations, especially at idle (though they have massively improved over the years). Also note that figures you mention are peak figures. Drivability would definitely suffer. Reports suggest that the 1.0 needs to be pushed harder to get the required performance, which is completely believable, but nobody knows yet. Also, the price would take a jump up too.
Will have to wait and see how the 1 liter engine performs in terms of drivability, and whether it is indeed inferior to the 1.2 TSI. From what I have read, it has won accolades in the western world. The world is moving towards smaller capacity engines with higher power and torque figures, so I'd be optimistic about improvements in engine characteristics in the coming couple of years.
Old 13th January 2020, 16:34   #6503
BHPian

Here's a VW newsroom article on the 1.0L TSI

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/...s-releases/224
keith2524 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 18:40   #6504
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have got my 2 year service due in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about upgrading the brake. The stock ones are warped and shudder a lot after 25k Kms. Also, the bite isn't great which we are all aware of.

I was thinking about Brembo but have heard stories about a lot of fakes floating around in the market.

Do you guys have any suggestions or experience upgrading your brakes?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th January 2020 at 08:52. Reason: Spacing
Old 14th January 2020, 01:21   #6505
BHPian

Check out the story of this guy in Goa who bought a GT on 31st December:

The car broke down on 7th Jan and he has been chasing the Service Center (Mody Autocorp Pvt. Ltd) since then, to get info on what exactly is the problem.
Not a surprise to come across another VW dealer whose technicians are baffled about the problem, but they said it is most likely a cylinder compression failure.

And get this - The Service Manager makes the customer talk to the sales guys on how to get the car replaced, after washing his hands off stating that he isn't authorized to take any decisions. The guy at the showroom in Porvorim, tells the customer that they can buy back the car - at a depreciated value!!

Imagine the agony this guy must be going through, after spending that much and getting such an answer.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 09:03   #6506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got delivery of my new GT TSI for my wife this week.
Congratulations and welcome to the club. That's an elegant shade of red there. Happy miles are a default with this car...I wish you many trouble-free miles.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 09:48   #6507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club. That's an elegant shade of red there. Happy miles are a default with this car...I wish you many trouble-free miles.
Thanks Hemanth, also for putting up with my questions!
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:55   #6508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got delivery of my new GT TSI for my wife this week.
Congrats PearlJam on the latest acquisition and welcome to the GT Club!!

The only thing I love about this facelift are the tail lights. Can you please post some more pics of this?

Wish you a happy and fun-filled GT-ing
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 00:21   #6509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
The only thing I love about this facelift are the tail lights. Can you please post some more pics of this?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...il-lights.html (VW Polo GT TSI DIY: International Polo 6C Tail-Lights)

Here's my taillight DIY thread with pictures. Enjoy.
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 16:53   #6510
zen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
"against your VIN, there is no add-on warranty now available. In future any offer regarding to this we will contact you immediately."
Quick update:
What I'm being told by the dealer is that VW are looking to replace Bajaj as the add-on warranty provider. As a result, Bajaj are playing hardball while processing warranty claims and issuing warranty extensions.
zen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed