Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 00:10   #6556
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I tried to follow the instructions as given in the listing and the manual (attached) but was unable to get the coming/leaving home functionality working. Can anyone please help with the same?
I thought that was a BCM function, if the car doesn't come with it, the switch can't make that work, because even the original switch at ON position can't keep lights on when you turn off the engine. I could be wrong, anyone has made this work just with the switch?
Old 5th March 2020, 00:17   #6557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I tried to follow the instructions as given in the listing and the manual (attached) but was unable to get the coming/leaving home functionality working. Can anyone please help with the same?
Hi. The auto headlamp switch sold on AliExpress is hit and miss. The CH/LH functionality in particular seems to be buggy. I had a similar experience to what you are having. I finally gave up and rolled back to the stock switch. The only reliable way to get CH/LH is to upgrade the BCM and install the adaptation harnesses + OEM RLS sensor. Expensive, and definitely not a noob level DIY. And not worth it for what is essentially a gimmicky party trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I thought that was a BCM function, if the car doesn't come with it, the switch can't make that work, because even the original switch at ON position can't keep lights on when you turn off the engine. I could be wrong, anyone has made this work just with the switch?
The headlamp switch sold on AliExpress comes with its own light sensor, and operates independent of the BCM.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 5th March 2020 at 00:19.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 09:22   #6558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Hi. The auto headlamp switch sold on AliExpress is hit and miss. The CH/LH functionality in particular seems to be buggy. I had a similar experience to what you are having. I finally gave up and rolled back to the stock switch. The only reliable way to get CH/LH is to upgrade the BCM and install the adaptation harnesses + OEM RLS sensor. Expensive, and definitely not a noob level DIY. And not worth it for what is essentially a gimmicky party trick.

The headlamp switch sold on AliExpress comes with its own light sensor, and operates independent of the BCM.
There are multiple youtube videos showing that it's possible . Example -

I also know one BHP-ian whose leaving home functionality is working but coming home is not. Ideally, I would like the DRL's to always turn on when I unlock the car and the headlights turned on when it's dark. I know it's gimmicky but it's more like a feel-good factor (the car lacks in this aspect a lot

I got the auto headlight switch mainly for automatic switching on/off based on the ambient light as I have a tendency to forget switching on the lights and realize it later which can be dangerous. I am happy that the basic functionality is working fine. There is also a way to turn on the fog lights along with the main headlight but I have disabled it. I was wondering if it makes sense to replace the fog lights with LED ones. Has anyone done the same? In general, I will probably replace all the interior lights with LEDs to enhance the feel-good factor. I see a lot of them being sold on Amazon from Philips/Osram etc, which ones to go for in terms of quality and specs (0.5W/1W/5W?

https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Retrofit-2780CW-02B0-Bulb-Bulbs/dp/B071VV762F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O3Z6ZY8I4WOT&keywords=w5w+led+bul b&qid=1583380798&sprefix=w5w%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.in/AUTOBAHN-T10-100LM-SMD-3030/dp/B081J3NP9F/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3O3Z6ZY8I4WOT&keywords=w5w+led+bul b&qid=1583380798&sprefix=w5w%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.in/Philips-T10-Ultinon-upto-6000K/dp/B07Q5D2RPF/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3O3Z6ZY8I4WOT&keywords=w5w+led+bul b&qid=1583380798&sprefix=w5w%2Caps%2C288&sr=8-3

Last edited by adimicra : 5th March 2020 at 09:33.
Old 5th March 2020, 17:52   #6559

I have changed the suspension to Bilstein, got the paddle shifts, got Brembo slotted discs and EBC brake pads. But I was not happy with the EBC pads as they wore out at 7000 kms and it made noise in the end. What is the best brake pad for the TSI with slotted Brembo discs? Recommendations. An online dealer said EBC yellow stuff pads.
Old 9th March 2020, 14:05   #6560
BHPian

My GT just got its 4th service at 55,000 kms from VW Palace Cross service center in Jalahalli.

I asked for add-on warranty for 5th year as my 4 years extended warranty is about to expire. I was told that I cannot buy add-on warranty as I am running a "non-standard" battery. I am running a regular exide battery with the same specs as OEM battery which I changed one day when the battery died in the middle of the road. The SA had no reply except that if I do not have VW OEM battery installed by them, I cannot buy add-on warranty.

So I contacted a senior service manager at VW who happens to stay in the same apartment complex where I live. He told me that VW has a tie-up with Bajaj Insurance for warranty and they will just reject any warranty claims if the car history is not "clean" meaning that any non-VW installed parts are not allowed. He did tell me that he will talk to the service center and do the best possible to help me get the add-on warranty.

The next day I got a call from the GM-service of the dealership and he told me the same thing. He also mentioned that since the battery supplies power to the Mechatronics (the brain of the DSG), it is essential to use the VW OEM battery as gearbox warranty claims can be rejected later if the battery is non standard.

It was clear that to me that I had no option but to change to VW OEM battery if I wanted to buy the add-on warranty. So I gave a go ahead to them to replace the battery. Apart from that, spark plugs were replaced and regular servicing was done. The battery from VW costed me around 5k. And the overall 4th servicing cost (including battery and spark plugs) came to around 20k.

The add-on warranty for 5th year is around 13k and they have some offer running so it will cost me around 9k. I am supposed to get the payment link for the add-on warranty purchase by next week.

Has anyone faced a similar dilemma while purchasing add-on warranty?
Old 9th March 2020, 14:22   #6561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Yup, I received the same message. My car is 4 years old and this is my third battery and have always had it replaced at VW. We've had a bitter experience with our Superb's battery and the dealer gave us trouble if we did not have the OEM battery (got Amaron instead of the Varta/Exide they had) so I always got the battery changed at the service centre for all VAG cars we have had.
karan85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 14:38   #6562
BHPian

Hello GT TSI owners ! I have this long time itch of getting myself a GT TSI ( pre worshipped one) to replace my 1.2 MPI POLO ( 4 years old).

Polo is my second car which I use 10 days in a month may be. Have another turbo beast ( Jeep Compass) for remaining month which has made me even more thirstier for power and punch!

What I need :

1. Point and shoot car in Delhi's traffic
2. Ease of automatic
3. Mileage - above 12 kmpl
4. Petrol
5. Modifiable ( Would love to increase the power to at least 140 bhp).

I am getting a 2016 ( 15000 km) run GT TSI for 7 Lacs. Still under warranty, with following accessories installed :

1. GTI Style led headlamps
2. GTI Grille
3. Leatherette seats ( bucket)
4. Components upgraded and sub woofer installed
5. Blackened roof and alloys

Is this deal a worth to look at ?
Roadster17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:49   #6563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post

Is this deal a worth to look at ?
Well considering the on road price of a new gt tsi, the low mileage, the warranty and the accessories installed, i think it's worth it.

Just get the service history and the car checked at the service center, but the car being in the warranty covers everything so you're good to go.
Old 10th March 2020, 13:56   #6564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
My GT just got its 4th service at 55,000 kms from VW Palace Cross service center in Jalahalli.

I asked for add-on warranty for 5th year as my 4 years extended warranty is about to expire. I was told that I cannot buy add-on warranty as I am running a "non-standard" battery. I am running a regular exide battery with the same specs as OEM battery which I changed one day when the battery died in the middle of the road. The SA had no reply except that if I do not have VW OEM battery installed by them, I cannot buy add-on warranty.

So I contacted a senior service manager at VW who happens to stay in the same apartment complex where I live. He told me that VW has a tie-up with Bajaj Insurance for warranty and they will just reject any warranty claims if the car history is not "clean" meaning that any non-VW installed parts are not allowed. He did tell me that he will talk to the service center and do the best possible to help me get the add-on warranty.

The next day I got a call from the GM-service of the dealership and he told me the same thing. He also mentioned that since the battery supplies power to the Mechatronics (the brain of the DSG), it is essential to use the VW OEM battery as gearbox warranty claims can be rejected later if the battery is non standard.

It was clear that to me that I had no option but to change to VW OEM battery if I wanted to buy the add-on warranty. So I gave a go ahead to them to replace the battery. Apart from that, spark plugs were replaced and regular servicing was done. The battery from VW costed me around 5k. And the overall 4th servicing cost (including battery and spark plugs) came to around 20k.

The add-on warranty for 5th year is around 13k and they have some offer running so it will cost me around 9k. I am supposed to get the payment link for the add-on warranty purchase by next week.

I drive a vento tsi and purchased the extended warranty on the day of the car purchase. Like you i had to buy a battery from a local shop because the battery died when I was in the middle of the road a couple of years ago.

I replaced my dsg under warranty last year when it had driven 99,920 kms. Luckily for me my service center didn't refuse warranty because of non standard battery.

If I were you I'd purchase the extended warranty at any cost because replacement of dsg cost ₹125000 and I didn't have to spend a paise.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 14:45   #6565
Distinguished - BHPian

A battery is a consumable. Purely my unqualified opinion, but I doubt that VW could enforce you must buy ours if it came to law. What next? You have to buy VW petrol?
Old 13th March 2020, 15:42   #6566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A battery is a consumable. Purely my unqualified opinion, but I doubt that VW could enforce you must buy ours if it came to law. What next? You have to buy VW petrol?
The law is corrupt in this country. The government will protect and serve those who generate the most revenue, and / or lobby the hardest. Therefore the common tax payer is usually at the bottom end of the pecking order.

Unrelated, but here are excerpts from the law relating to motor vehicle warranty from a different country (Qatar, where I spent significant years among other countries). In my experience the Indian laws are the weakest and most ambiguous when it comes to consumer protection.

<Quote from a news article on Gulf Times, 2016, around the time when the government decided to crack the whip on auto dealerships>

............. Local car distributors have agreed to the following nine clauses:
1) Dealers shall eliminate restrictive clauses and rephrase ambiguous expressions that might deny warranty coverage to vehicle owners who choose to conduct maintenance or repair works at a third-party workshop.
2) Dealers shall introduce the necessary amendments to the warranty terms and shall submit the revised terms to the Competition Protection Department for review.
3) Distributors shall not restrict warranty coverage to periodic maintenance works or repairs at the dealer’s workshop provided that customers retain a receipt indicating that maintenance or repair works were carried out on time as instructed by the manufacturer.
4) Car dealers shall allow vehicle owners to use materials such as (oil, filters) or other spare parts of the same specifications as original parts, provided that they are accredited by the manufacturer.
5) Warranty coverage will be void only on spare parts that do not meet the technical requirements and dealers shall not revoke warranty coverage on other parts.
6) In the event of damage to one or more parts of the vehicle as a result of maintenance works in violation of the technical requirements, car dealers shall be responsible to submit proof of the violation.
7) Car dealers shall revise all warranty booklets of previously sold cars in accordance with the new terms adopted by the Competition Protection Department and obtain approval for their replacement. The old booklets can be maintained if car dealers can ensure the implementation of the new terms in a clear manner.
8) Car dealers shall refrain in the future from implementing any system that incorporates the cost of maintenance and repairs into the sale price of the vehicle with the exception of promotional offers approved by competent authorities.
9) Car dealers shall refrain from introducing any amendments to warranty booklets without the prior consent of the Competition Protection Department.
The MEC asserted that the new measures will provide incentives for car dealers to improve their performance, boost their competitiveness and improve the quality of services provided at their workshops.
On the other hand, the ministry has urged consumers to carefully choose where to carry out maintenance and repairs as well as to keep a receipt outlining the jobs and date of maintenance as instructed by the manufacturer should they choose to carry out the work at third-party workshops.
The ministry has also urged consumers to examine warranty booklets to ensure the compliance of car dealers with the stipulated warranty terms and inform the ministry of any manipulation of warranty terms and violations through the following channels: Hotline: 16001, e-mail: info@mec.gov.qa, Twitter @ MEC_Qatar
The Ministry’s application on mobile phones: MEC_Qatar
</end quote>
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 01:21   #6567
BHPian

Hello everyone.. I am considering getting the Polo/Vento 1.0 TSI MT for my office commute. I have been reading mostly good things about the 1.0 TSI in terms of power and refinement. However, this being a direct injection engine, carbon build-up around the intake valves is inevitable, and fuel additives will not work since the fuel anyway will not enter from the intake valves. Using a higher grade fuel might help reduce the amount of unburnt HC to a certain extent, but the problem will remain. I would want to know how this has affected the users here.

Does the 1.2 TSI with mileage north of 50k kms show any drop in performance, fuel efficiency and/or any other issue? How reliable is the TSI motor?

Response to the above would greatly help me with the buying decision.

Thanks & Regards!
Old 18th March 2020, 01:53   #6568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
However, this being a direct injection engine, carbon build-up around the intake valves is inevitable
Literally every car you buy now has direct injection. Are there even any carb engined cars on sale in India?

Don't worry about the motor, it's the gearbox that was the reliability problem with the 1.2TSI and that's not a problem anymore.
Old 18th March 2020, 08:09   #6569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Literally every car you buy now has direct injection. Are there even any carb engined cars on sale in India?

Don't worry about the motor, it's the gearbox that was the reliability problem with the 1.2TSI and that's not a problem anymore.
Hi McLaren, i beg to differ.

Every petrol car has fuel injection for sure, but only a handful have direct injection systems. In DI, only the air is sucked in through the intake valves during the intake/suction stroke. Post compression, the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, just like it is done in a diesel engine. Few examples of GDI engines in India are the 1.0 GDI from Hyundai, 1.2 GDI from Mahindra, all TSI engines, etc. The other vehicles use port injection (MPI/MPFI), where the fuel is injected in the intake manifold, and a mixture of air and fuel enters the cylinder through the intake valves. SPFI is now history though. The Mercedes Benz 300 SL Gullwing was the first 4 stroke vehicle with the GDI system.

It has been a different story for diesels, since they have been using DI for decades now, and IDI is long gone.

Regards
shankha007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 09:59   #6570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Most of the cars are MPFI, very few have DI
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks