Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 16:03   #6571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post
Few examples of GDI engines in India are the 1.0 GDI from Hyundai, 1.2 GDI from Mahindra, all TSI engines, etc.
You missed out on the earliest GDI engines in India i.e. the Fiat T-Jet engines.

On an aside, in the VW stable naturally aspirated GDI are barnded as FSI and forced induction are branded as TFSI/TSI.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:34   #6572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You missed out on the earliest GDI engines in India i.e. the Fiat T-Jet engines.

On an aside, in the VW stable naturally aspirated GDI are barnded as FSI and forced induction are branded as TFSI/TSI.
IIRC, the Fiat 1.4 T-Jet uses an MPFI system. Combination of turbocharging and port injection is not very common these days.
Old 20th March 2020, 15:24   #6573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankha007 View Post

Does the 1.2 TSI with mileage north of 50k kms show any drop in performance, fuel efficiency and/or any other issue? How reliable is the TSI motor?

Response to the above would greatly help me with the buying decision.

Thanks & Regards!
I think people got into GDI vs MPFI debate and forgot your critical question.

I have completed 80k (touchwood, no issues till now). The fuel efficiency howvers around 14.5 kmpl in Hyderbad city (50 % AC on). On the highways, i have been able to garner around 18-19 kmpl (hyderabad to nagpur run AC on 80 %). I drive a bit sedately 80-100 on highways with mild accelerations. This has infact improved over the earlier milage post the 6th year service.

Coming to the accelerations: she still has the fire she had in her belly and plasters a smile every time I go boom on the accelerator
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 19:29   #6574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I think people got into GDI vs MPFI debate and forgot your critical question.
That is exactly what i was thinking 1.2TSI7DSG (btw, it feels weird to call someone like that you know)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I have completed 80k (touchwood, no issues till now). The fuel efficiency howvers around 14.5 kmpl in Hyderbad city (50 % AC on). On the highways, i have been able to garner around 18-19 kmpl (hyderabad to nagpur run AC on 80 %). I drive a bit sedately 80-100 on highways with mild accelerations. This has infact improved over the earlier milage post the 6th year service.

Coming to the accelerations: she still has the fire she had in her belly and plasters a smile every time I go boom on the accelerator
That is reassuring, since 80k is more than enough to get a fair idea about the effect of this carbon build-up on the performance. The situation does not seem to be that bad as the articles on the internet portray it to be.

Are you aware if VW does anything in particular during the scheduled services in order to handle the carbon build-up?

Thank you for the inputs and wish that the fire in her belly just gets stronger!
Old 16th April 2020, 12:01   #6575
BHPian

My Polo GT stock tyres is due for upgrade. My stock tyre was Good Year Triple Max assurance 195/55R16. It has clocked 70000 Kms.

Now I am considering Michelin Primacy ST4 and Good year Triple Max.

The price dealer quoted was 7800 for michelin primacy and 6300 for good year. Is the price OK?

Which tyre is best to choose since I am not much aware of the terms "tyre noise" and other tyre stuff.

Any advice would be much helpful.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th April 2020 at 12:14. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
ramb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 09:51   #6576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Which tyre is best to choose since I am not much aware of the terms "tyre noise" and other tyre stuff.
I chose the Michelin P4ST for my Verna last year and it's a perfect balance between noise and grip levels. It's not too soft, good for Indian roads. But I thought it comes only in 205/55R16.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:07   #6577
BHPian

Quote:
My Polo GT stock tyres is due for upgrade. My stock tyre was Good Year Triple Max assurance 195/55R16. It has clocked 70000 Kms.
The price dealer quoted was 7800 for michelin primacy and 6300 for good year. Is the price OK?
Any advice would be much helpful.
My suggestion would be to pick Michelin Primacy any day over GoodYear/Apollo, even more GT Tsi is petrol and so very capable to do much more. I think good tyres are one of the best investment on your car while keeping it stock otherwise.

I bought at Vento TSI last year and in favour of personal economy deferred upgrade of tyres which I feel was a mistake in a hindsight, my previous car an Elite i20 was running on Primacy 3ST and I could immediately sense the reduction in grip and increase in road noise. Actually I hadn't realised it so much when I had upgraded the tyres on my i20. Michelin tyre compound is top notch and you should watch on how much research goes into building a new tyre on some of the documentaries if you are interested. However nice your engine is or brakes are - all of it get into action only via the tyres, they can be only as nice as the tyres can deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I chose the Michelin P4ST for my Verna last year and it's a perfect balance between noise and grip levels. It's not too soft, good for Indian roads. But I thought it comes only in 205/55R16.
Michelin P4ST is available in 195/55/R16 now which is the stock size on Polo/Vento/Verna (higher variants at least.)
Rahul_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 14:14   #6578
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pearljam. I have chosen michelin. It is available in 195/55r16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
My suggestion would be to pick Michelin Primacy any day over GoodYear/Apollo, even more GT Tsi is petrol and so very capable to do much more. I think good tyres are one of the best investment on your car while keeping it stock otherwise.

I bought at Vento TSI last year and in favour of personal economy deferred upgrade of tyres which I feel was a mistake in a hindsight, my previous car an Elite i20 was running on Primacy 3ST and I could immediately sense the reduction in grip and increase in road noise. Actually I hadn't realised it so much when I had upgraded the tyres on my i20. Michelin tyre compound is top notch and you should watch on how much research goes into building a new tyre on some of the documentaries if you are interested. However nice your engine is or brakes are - all of it get into action only via the tyres, they can be only as nice as the tyres can deliver.
Thanks Rahul for the details. Its an eye opener. I have inclined to choose Michelin . As you mentioned GT Tsi requires good performance tyres, I have chosen the Primacy 4 and dealer quoted price is 7800.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 09:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use Edit or Multi-quote options if posting back-to-back
Old 20th April 2020, 15:14   #6579
BHPian

Totally been impressed with my set of Primacy in terms of road noise and highway cruise on the TSI, so much so that I changed my old WagonR rubbers to Energy XM2.
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:25   #6580
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pearljam. I have chosen michelin. It is available in 195/55r16

Thanks Rahul for the details. Its an eye opener. I have inclined to choose Michelin . As you mentioned GT Tsi requires good performance tyres, I have chosen the Primacy 4 and dealer quoted price is 7800.
Changed my tryes from Good year to Michelin Primacy 4
My initial impression on Michelin Primacy 4 :

Excellent comfort
Great and sporty looking tyres
Feeling the speed is masked after changing to Michelin primacy. In three digit speed, feeling as if cruising at 90 KMPH. Not sure if it is due to the change from good year to michelin. But surely there is a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-tyre.jpg  

ramb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 14:58   #6581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Meanwhile, found the below product through FB. This plugs into the OBD port and controls the mirror. No wiring change required. If this works as claimed, could be a really interesting product.

OBD Auto folding mirrors

Installation instructions from the web page.
Attachment 1441226

The instructions are a little confusing. But looks like this controls both the automatic window open/closing and also ORVM open/close.

Anyone planning to try?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Had seen that link before but they have mentioned it is only for the B7 Passat and the CC. If it works for the lower models (like the Jetta, Polo) nothing like it.

Even the Jetta requires the window controllers to be changed to get the auto-folding to work when the car is locked/unlocked. Really a bummer when they could have done it from the assembly line. Hyundai gives it right from the Grand i10!
Hey, it can be enabled on the Jetta/Passat using VCDS. I know I'm pretty late but, better late than never
Also, it can be done on Polo/Vento/Ameo too. But subject to the part number of the window regulator motor installed in our cars from factory.
Check the part number from Central Electronics.
Subsystem 2 part number should be 6R0 959 802 BH
And subsystem 3 part number should be 6R0 959 801 BC. The last characters are the most important for this DIY. If the part numbers match, change the coding of Subsystem 2 to "1400B3" or "1400B1" and Subsystem 3 to "0400B3" or "0400A3".

I got this information from this thread (Page 8 / Post 119) : https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Last edited by sarfraz1997 : 9th May 2020 at 15:00. Reason: To add more information for better understanding
sarfraz1997 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:28   #6582
BHPian

Quote:
Got delivery of my new GT TSI
It's been a few months now. Made one long drive before the lockdown. There are my impressions now:
  • Speed warning beeps are irritating, more at the 2nd point
  • The gearbox is simply superb. There are absolutely no jerks till now. Perfect selection of gears. The DSG is a perfect match to this small engine
  • Downshift seems to be noticeably slower than upshifts when you floor it, so it needs a bit of planning. I think this is where manuals rock.
  • Steering feels great to use
  • Brakes are fine. I've heard of many complaints about brakes in this forum, but frankly I didn't face any issues. Not sure if the facelift has improved it?
  • High speeds are masked well. Feels great to drive at higher speeds.
  • Engine sounds great, but is not super silent though. Eg. In a grand i10, you can hardly feel the engine, let alone hear it.
  • Miss the huge torque surge compared to my diesel Verna. Ofcourse, this is expected.
  • Rear a/c vents are sorely missed. Cramped rear seats.
  • City ride quality is firm. But on the highway, it gets much better.
  • Had some squeaks coming from the steering when turning, after a few days of taking delivery. Was fixed in the first service - they said it was dust in the suspension accumulated between factory and delivery. Not sure how this related to the steering though. No issues faced after that.
  • Service experience was great at the Rajajinagar centre
Question:
When going over humps, slowly, at an angle, the whole body/frame squeaks. Is this normal/expected?
PearlJam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 10:46   #6583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Downshift seems to be noticeably slower than upshifts when you floor it, so it needs a bit of planning. I think this is where manuals rock.
There is a way to do a quick downshift. Just snap down the accelerator pedal when you want to overtake and see how the gearbox shifts a couple of gears and surges ahead!

This is applicable in D mode. In sports mode, the gearbox is quite responsive in downshifts.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:11   #6584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There is a way to do a quick downshift. Just snap down the accelerator pedal when you want to overtake and see how the gearbox shifts a couple of gears and surges ahead!

This is applicable in D mode. In sports mode, the gearbox is quite responsive in downshifts.
There's a kickdown button at the last stage of the pedal movement. Most drivers do not even reach it and it unleashes a wave of power. Just remember to hold the steering firmly before .... This experience is from my Octavia 1.8 TSI.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 11:15   #6585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
There's a kickdown button at the last stage of the pedal movement. Most drivers do not even reach it and it unleashes a wave of power. Just remember to hold the steering firmly before .... This experience is from my Octavia 1.8 TSI.
I can imagine how that would feel with a 1.8 Tsi . Should be brutal.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed