Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 14:08   #6631
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

GT TSI 2018 model - someone kindly advise how to reset the display after a battery change ? I had to remove and recharge the battery due to the car not being used during lockdown but after restart, the central figure in the display (behind the steering wheel ) is not showing anything ( just showing _ _ _ _ ). I have reset the time but am not able to fix this, pls help
Old 17th August 2020, 16:02   #6632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
...the central figure in the display (behind the steering wheel ) is not showing anything ( just showing _ _ _ _ ). I have reset the time but am not able to fix this, pls help
Can you tell which parameters are showing ---?

For some of the parameters like average speed, average fuel consumption etc, the display will read --- after a reset. These will get updated once you start driving and there is enough data to calculate the values.

If you had removed the battery and put it back, then the one touch up/down function in the windows will also have stopped working. For this, you need to reset the window controller. Here is how:

Press the down button and completely open the window. Then press the up button and completely close the window. After completely closing the window. Hold in the auto up position (two clicks of the up button) for a couple of seconds and release. After this the one touch up/down will start working. Repeat this procedure for all the windows.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 14:24   #6633
BHPian

I would like to remap my 2015 GT-TSI and was looking for reliable options in Bangalore. Please suggest the ones which any of you have used and I am also looking to change the tyres. It came originally shod with Apollo Alnacs (185) which served me pretty well for about 5 years now. TIA
Old 21st August 2020, 09:18   #6634

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Can you tell which parameters are showing ---?

For some of the parameters like average speed, average fuel consumption etc, the display will read --- after a reset. These will get updated once you start driving and there is enough data to calculate the values.

If you had removed the battery and put it back, then the one touch up/down function in the windows will also have stopped working. For this, you need to reset the window controller. Here is how:

Press the down button and completely open the window. Then press the up button and completely close the window. After completely closing the window. Hold in the auto up position (two clicks of the up button) for a couple of seconds and release. After this the one touch up/down will start working. Repeat this procedure for all the windows.
Faced the exact situation in my gt tsi yesterday. Battery drained because of non-usage of the car for 20 days. The mechanic, who came to see the battery, removed and changed it and installed a new 50AH battery. After the deed was done, I checked here and the recommended battery is 44AH, plus the OEM battery was just 3 years old and the car had clocked 9k km. Now, I feel like a moron for not charging the OEM battery and desperately installing a new one going by the Exide man's word.
Old 21st August 2020, 18:21   #6635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy95 View Post
Now, I feel like a moron for not charging the OEM battery and desperately installing a new one going by the Exide man's word.
Twenty days is nothing. I once left my car near to a friend's house in West London, travelled to Heathrow Airport on my way to India, returning six months later. I got in my car and it started. Unless you have a heap of battery-draining stuff running, flat in twenty days suggests your battery was not in great condition.

On the other hand, had you charged it, it might well have given some weeks or moths before expiring.

So, you would have to have paid then, but paid now. Don't sweat it: we don't count the cost of our batteries per day, or even per week
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:32   #6636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy95 View Post
Battery drained because of non-usage of the car for 20 days.

...the OEM battery was just 3 years old and the car had clocked 9k km. Now, I feel like a moron for not charging the OEM battery and desperately installing a new one going by the Exide man's word.
+1 to Thad. 20 days of no use should not drain a battery. As your OEM battery was already 3 years old, I would say you were quite lucky. In my own experience, I have seen three OEM VW batteries (two in the Jetta and one in the GT) fail within 18 months. So, I am sure your OE battery had reached its end of life.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:01   #6637
BHPian

I'm sure am missing something here. My GT TSI is 3 and half years old now. During this time the car was lying idle for roughly two months ( twice, as I was away on holidays abroad). It started at first crank on both these occasions. Did not disconnect any battery lead while I was away. The OEM battery still going strong as if it was new. Am I just lucky or what? Should I wait for the battery to die or change it before I get stranded.
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:33   #6638
Distinguished - BHPian

My previous TDI battery must have lasted over four years. Luckily, it gave me a couple of reluctant-start clues when it was on the way out. I then checked the voltages with help from the internet and replaced it.

I have twice got myself into trouble by trying to wring out a little more life from a battery. Thus my advice not to do so is heartfelt! It's embarrassing to be stuck in the middle of a busy junction in the rain and it is much nicer to choose one's new battery at leisure from a local supplier rather than being in a breakdown situation and having to take what you can from the nearest battery shop.

You need a multimeter and a helper to do a basic test. You can measure the battery voltage unloaded by yourself, but you need to know the voltage under load, when starting the engine. I don't remember the numbers: somebody else will.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 07:46   #6639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniTSI View Post
I would like to remap my 2015 GT-TSI and was looking for reliable options in Bangalore. Please suggest the ones which any of you have used and I am also looking to change the tyres. It came originally shod with Apollo Alnacs (185) which served me pretty well for about 5 years now. TIA
Hi,

For remaps, you have plenty of options to choose from. Pete’s V3 is a good, safe and reliable map to opt for and they have great offers from time to time. Contact Classic Unicorn Performance for the Pete’s map. You could also consider Quantum - get in touch with GT Tunerz from Delhi and they will put you in touch with their local dealer here in Bangalore. I am running a Stage 2 Quantum map and it’s pretty good.

For tyres, I would suggest you upsize to 16” as you would open up yourself to a variety of options like Michelin’s Pilot Sport 4 ST. If you do not want to upsize to 16” I would then suggest you opt for the same tyres that came stock with the car. Do not go wider as you would mess up the overall diameter of the wheels+tyres and consequently accelerate wear and tear on your suspension components.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:30   #6640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi,

For remaps, you have plenty of options to choose from. Pete’s V3 is a good, safe and reliable map to opt for and they have great offers from time to time. Contact Classic Unicorn Performance for the Pete’s map. You could also consider Quantum - get in touch with GT Tunerz from Delhi and they will put you in touch with their local dealer here in Bangalore. I am running a Stage 2 Quantum map and it’s pretty good.

For tyres, I would suggest you upsize to 16” as you would open up yourself to a variety of options like Michelin’s Pilot Sport 4 ST. If you do not want to upsize to 16” I would then suggest you opt for the same tyres that came stock with the car. Do not go wider as you would mess up the overall diameter of the wheels+tyres and consequently accelerate wear and tear on your suspension components.
Thanks, Suhaas! This is super helpful. I have been waiting to pursue a remap for a very long time now and was held back by my own inertia and also since the car was under the 4 year extended warranty, which I believe would have been affected by the remap. Now, that my car has kind of reached mid-life, I really wanted to spruce it up and hold it for at least 4 years. I understand several mods have been discussed extensively here on this page. However, if you have anything else which you'd advise, I'm all ears. Also, I will upsize to 16", unless its prohibitive in terms of the costs.
SriniTSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 22:28   #6641
BHPian

Today I started , drove off and discovered that the car was not moving up from D1 or S1 . I drove about 200m like this , switched off and restarted - the car started behaving normally moving up through the gears. Is this something serious ? Should I head to the VW Service Centre at the earliest and get it checked out? Anyone had a similar experience?
Old 8th September 2020, 12:27   #6642
BHPian

What is with the newly launched GT?

I couldn't find a separate thread for the newly launched GT TSI. I am a bit confused with that car.

When the GT TSI launched in 2013, it was the hottest hatchback available, with a fancy DSG, 103/175 bhp/nm, 0-100 9.7 sec, etc. In all, a considerable upgrade over the standard Polo and no competition from any of the other cars until the Abarth came around.

Now, this new GT TSI has a torque converter which makes the car SLOWER than the standard polo (in a 0-100 split) by over 2 seconds!! and they are charging a premium of ~2 lakhs. What are they playing at?

In the review by Evo India, they kept drooling over the torque converter gearbox but in the last few minutes, if you see the tachometer, the engine was losing about 1500 rpm per shift. In the DSG GT TSI, the engine never loses more than 250-300 rpm in any gear shift. The DSG makes a car faster than manual/other auto boxes whereas the torque converter here is making this car slower than the standard one.

In this Grand Tour drag race, the under-powered Polo GTI smokes the other cars only because of the DSG. Cut to 7.50 for the drag race and listen to Hammond's astonishment and Jeremy's reasoning.

7 years after the original, VW has a GT TSI which is slower than the original GT TSI and the reviewers say the GT badge is in safe hands?!?!? I don't understand this at all. Am I missing something here?
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:54   #6643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
7 years after the original, VW has a GT TSI which is slower than the original GT TSI and the reviewers say the GT badge is in safe hands?!?!? I don't understand this at all. Am I missing something here?
Perspective cpabhijit, it’s all about perspective. A lot of people will not bother whether it’s a DSG, torque converter or CVT, to them it’s an automatic, nothing else. GT badge in safe hands? Well to each his or her own.

Not everyone is interested in lightening quick gear shifts and 0-100 times. Most people will be happy it’s a new model, fast (again, relative), comfortable (well front seats really), well built and reliable hatch with the features this one offers.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:58   #6644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
I couldn't find a separate thread for the newly launched GT TSI.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review)

I think both the manual and the automatic variants could be discussed in the above.
Old 8th September 2020, 13:19   #6645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniTSI View Post
I changed to Michelin P4ST 195/65/R15 last year and they are running well. Quiet tires and have driven quite a bit in the wet and no issues with grip.
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed