Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 13:32   #6646
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Perspective cpabhijit, it’s all about perspective. A lot of people will not bother whether it’s a DSG, torque converter or CVT, to them it’s an automatic, nothing else. GT badge in safe hands? Well to each his or her own.

Not everyone is interested in lightening quick gear shifts and 0-100 times. Most people will be happy it’s a new model, fast (again, relative), comfortable (well front seats really), well built and reliable hatch with the features this one offers.

Cheers
Perspective is fine. I understand that not everyone wants a DSG or a fast car and all that. I was under the impression that the fastest or faster car in a manufacturer's lineup, oriented towards enthusiasts gets the GT badge. Like the BMW's GT series or the Ford GT. Hence, I'm chagrined that they've slapped a slow TC box and made it slower than their standard Polo and then given it the GT badge. I would not have come up with this post if they'd simply called it Polo Auto.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:03   #6647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Today I started , drove off and discovered that the car was not moving up from D1 or S1 . I drove about 200m like this , switched off and restarted - the car started behaving normally moving up through the gears. Is this something serious ? Should I head to the VW Service Centre at the earliest and get it checked out? Anyone had a similar experience?
I would recommend getting it checked. My car also had a similar issue once which led to the DSG failure later. I am not saying that yours will be same but better to get it checked.
abhi_krishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:39   #6648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Perspective is fine. I understand that not everyone wants a DSG or a fast car and all that. I was under the impression that the fastest or faster car in a manufacturer's lineup, oriented towards enthusiasts gets the GT badge. ...
Just speaking of VW, I agree with this. I don't think that people even consider the Polo GTs unless they are interested in the BHP being at the top of the affordable-hatchback range.

I understand (well, I think I do) why no DSG, but I do not understand why the performance premium should be lessened.

Not that I am in the market, but this new model would probably be fine for me. Currently driving a GT TDI, I'd love an automatic, as almost all my driving is city driving. Because off that, 0-60 matter a lot more to me than 0-100. But if I was a highway driver (and frankly, I am wasting my poor car's true capability by not being: it just purrs along when given the chance) I'd be more interested in acceleration available when the car is already doing a fair pace.

Hope to keep my car for another five years. Age may then tell me not to buy another... but maybe I'll be seeing what VW has done with all of this by 2025. Will they make good? Or are they loosing the thread?
Old 11th September 2020, 09:03   #6649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Perspective is fine. I understand that not everyone wants a DSG or a fast car and all that. I was under the impression that the fastest or faster car in a manufacturer's lineup, oriented towards enthusiasts gets the GT badge. Like the BMW's GT series or the Ford GT.
I think the perspective that it is the fastest/faster car may be incorrect.It is a a long distance car first which can perform at continuously high speed (like on the Autobahns)

"A grand tourer (GT) is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

If you go by the page, you would find "The inclusion of "grand tourer", "gran turismo", "GT" or similar in the model name does not necessarily mean that the car is a grand tourer, since several manufacturers have used the terms for the marketing of cars which are not grand tourers."

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 11th September 2020 at 09:07.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:50   #6650
BHPian

Hi,

My POLO GT badge on the front grill has chipped and the letter T is broken. I asked the VW dealer in Delhi and he said that the whole grill needs to be replaced. I did some online research and found that you can just get the GT badge as an accessory from the VW dealerships which can be fitted. Can anyone please guide me from their personal experiences?
Old 21st September 2020, 13:30   #6651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krishna View Post
I would recommend getting it checked. My car also had a similar issue once which led to the DSG failure later. I am not saying that yours will be same but better to get it checked.
Thanks mate. I got it checked. Apparently the software needed upgradation. Since then, I have driven about 500km, she is doing just fine

My GT TSI is about 28 months old. In this time she has done 17000 km. During the last 8 months or so, my usage has been very intermittent , in fact it was not started for the entire month of Feb when I was travelling abroad. After returning, there have been times when I have not used the car for 4 to 5 days at a stretch. In the month of July, the car refused to crank so I had to call the battery fellow to take it away and charge it up. On returning the battery, he said that the output voltage was a bit low and I may have issues going forward. Today again the car did not crank and I think I will need to buy a new battery.

My questions : 1) Is the battery life of 28 months not on the low side? What is the experience of fellow GT TSI owners?

2) What is the Ah of the battery to be fitted? Is it preferrable to fit a slightly higher Ah battery or will that place too much stress on the alternator?

3) Between Exide and Amaron is there much to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Hi,

My POLO GT badge on the front grill has chipped and the letter T is broken. I asked the VW dealer in Delhi and he said that the whole grill needs to be replaced. I did some online research and found that you can just get the GT badge as an accessory from the VW dealerships which can be fitted. Can anyone please guide me from their personal experiences?
The GT TSI lettering on the Left side pillar has come off- it now read GT only. Are these available anywhere ? Also the bar code sticker on the RH side has also a corner which is coming off. Any solutions for fixing these?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2020 at 14:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Old 21st September 2020, 13:47   #6652
anb
BHPian

Quote:

My questions : 1) Is the battery life of 28 months not on the low side? What is the experience of fellow GT TSI owners?

2) What is the Ah of the battery to be fitted? Is it preferrable to fit a slightly higher Ah battery or will that place too much stress on the alternator?

Yes, the battery life of Polo is very low. I got the batteries of both of my Polo's replaced within 2 years.I have changed to 45 AH AMARON battery for the gt tsi and 60AH AMARON battery for TDI. It's working fine
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:41   #6653
BHPian

Even i had the same issue. Mine is 2019 Feb GT TSI. I had not started for a month due to some travel. It was dead after that. VW person told me the life is max 2 years, but mine went just after 1+ year. I replaced the battery with Exide.

Quote:
Thanks mate. I got it checked. Apparently the software needed upgradation. Since then, I have driven about 500km, she is doing just fine

My GT TSI is about 28 months old. In this time she has done 17000 km. During the last 8 months or so, my usage has been very intermittent , in fact it was not started for the entire month of Feb when I was travelling abroad. After returning, there have been times when I have not used the car for 4 to 5 days at a stretch. In the month of July, the car refused to crank so I had to call the battery fellow to take it away and charge it up. On returning the battery, he said that the output voltage was a bit low and I may have issues going forward. Today again the car did not crank and I think I will need to buy a new battery.

The GT TSI lettering on the Left side pillar has come off- it now read GT only. Are these available anywhere ? Also the bar code sticker on the RH side has also a corner which is coming off. Any solutions for fixing these?
Old 28th September 2020, 16:38   #6654
BHPian

Quote:
The GT TSI sticker on the C pillars should be available at the service centres. I had got one when I had to re-paint the panel. It is expensive for what it is though, if I remember it costs around ~1,100INR - 1,700INR (in between the two, forgot exactly how much).
Most people find those as eye sores, and remove them altogether. The GT TDI did not come with an equivalent 'GT TDI' sticker either.
On a separate note, how did your sticker manage to come off? AFAIK it has a lacquer coating on top of it.
veyron999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:17   #6655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
The GT TSI sticker on the C pillars should be available at the service centres. I had got one when I had to re-paint the panel. It is expensive for what it is though, if I remember it costs around ~1,100INR - 1,700INR (in between the two, forgot exactly how much).
Most people find those as eye sores, and remove them altogether. The GT TDI did not come with an equivalent 'GT TDI' sticker either.
On a separate note, how did your sticker manage to come off? AFAIK it has a lacquer coating on top of it.
1000 bucks. is a bit steep.You are right, without the stickers it would be a nice clean look . Any idea how to remove the remaining letters?
Old 28th September 2020, 20:49   #6656
Team-BHP Support

Some VW parts are ridiculously expensive! The OEM wheel hub cap costs some 750 Rs odd!
Old 28th September 2020, 22:06   #6657
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Some VW parts are ridiculously expensive! The OEM wheel hub cap costs some 750 Rs odd!
Yes. The small mirror adjusting knob is also expensive at more than 4k. Last year I bought a set of 4 OEM wheel hub caps for just Rs.500 from Ali express.
Old 28th September 2020, 23:52   #6658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Yes. The small mirror adjusting knob is also expensive at more than 4k. Last year I bought a set of 4 OEM wheel hub caps for just Rs.500 from Ali express.
That small knob? 4000 rupees! Man that is daylight robbery, i'll stop adjusting my mirrors from now on.
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:39   #6659

Considering buying a 2014, pre-facelift GT that has run 29k kilometres only. Car has complete service records available. I'm still worried about the mechatronic unit of the DSG giving out, would it be worth the risk to consider the car, knowing that it's in great condition overall.

What would be a good price to quote for it?
Old 20th October 2020, 12:45   #6660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian5ettel View Post
Considering buying a 2014, pre-facelift GT that has run 29k kilometres only. Car has complete service records available. I'm still worried about the mechatronic unit of the DSG giving out, would it be worth the risk to consider the car, knowing that it's in great condition overall.

What would be a good price to quote for it?
It's a lovely car. If you are confident that the car has been maintained well, go for it. My DSG unit has been trouble free so far. 66k on the odo. 8th year. DSG + the 1.2 motor. Bliss. You'll not regret it.
cpabhijit is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed