Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 17:46   #6676
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hello folks,

My mother drives a 2014 GT TSI with 28k on the odo. The gear box has been lately throwing problems where in

a. Car won't move after engaging 'D'
b. The above gets scary on the inclines as hill assist will disengage and car will roll backwards for a second or 2
c. Gears will hold up longer (though this happens more during morning runs)

Problems a. and b. would occur once a week. The car is with VW bhopal and after much assessment (3 days), they are concluding its the car's battery (and voltage fluctuation). We got a new battery 2 year back in 2018 and I believe this is nothing but a bag full of pretty bad stuff. I have to pick up the car in the morning and my assessment is these buggers weren't able to find the problem and if i don't replace the battery this will continue (and they will very softly blame it on the battery)

The second issue was the steering wheel. I found the steering wheel to be aligned to the left from the center. Car will move in a straight line at an angle of 10-20 degrees to the left. While fixing this issue the service folk included 'wheel balancing' as 1 of the fixes. This, by the way, after doing wheel balancing a couple of months back too when we replaced tyres from VW. Ironically the issue was present then too and i believe this was also bag of c**p from VW.

I want to know your expert opinion on the above. I don't live here and its fairly easy for these folks to dupe my mom who blindly trusts the service center folks
kanishka88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:30   #6677
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
a. Car won't move after engaging 'D'
Check the MID, if 'D' is flickering, this means the gear did not engage. This normally happens when you engage 'D' too quickly after starting the car, i.e. the gearbox wasn't ready! - This is normal behavior, only started with me, when I got a little too comfy with the car and engaged the gears almost with cranking. If this is anything else, then it is a bigger issue, which is unlikely on this low millage car.

Quote:
c. Gears will hold up longer (though this happens more during morning runs)
Always the case, the cold engine holds gears slightly longer to warm up. But not sure exactly by how much in your case. (more details on exact rpm/gear combination will help)

Quote:
The second issue was the steering wheel. I found the steering wheel to be aligned to the left from the center. Car will move in a straight line at an angle of 10-20 degrees to the left. While fixing this issue the service folk included 'wheel balancing' as 1 of the fixes. This, by the way, after doing wheel balancing a couple of months back too when we replaced tyres from VW. Ironically the issue was present then too and i believe this was also bag of c**p from VW.
NEVER ask the service centers to align or balance, they don't know this. Find a high-end tyre shop in your city, which is not too old and has new equipment. Everything else will be only crap. Alignment is probably the weakest point in the entire private car service industry, authorized centers or not.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:37   #6678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Check the MID, if 'D' is flickering, this means the gear did not engage. This normally happens when you engage 'D' too quickly after starting the car, i.e. the gearbox wasn't ready! - This is normal behavior, only started with me, when I got a little too comfy with the car and engaged the gears almost with cranking. If this is anything else, then it is a bigger issue, which is unlikely on this low millage car.
Thanks for the quick one SLK. No, 'D' isn't flickering. That's my worry - it properly shows engaged in D with no movement on pressing the pedal. I have seen revs holding upto 3500rpm in November mornings. I agree to you that this is expected but I am surprised as this wasn't the case 2-3 years back
Old 30th November 2020, 20:45   #6679
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick one SLK. No, 'D' isn't flickering. That's my worry - it properly shows engaged in D with no movement on pressing the pedal. I have seen revs holding upto 3500rpm in November mornings. I agree to you that this is expected but I am surprised as this wasn't the case 2-3 years back
No, 3500 seems too high unless being driven with a heavy foot. My car never crossed 2400 in Delhi mornings (mine is a 2015, done about 70k)

Also, on D, does it show D1 or just 'D'? - if only D and not even flickering, seems like a problem in the making! Maybe just make sure there is actually no voltage issue with the battery, just get another one, its only a fraction of the cost of what DSG might need.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 12:05   #6680
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,
The second issue was the steering wheel. I found the steering wheel to be aligned to the left from the center. Car will move in a straight line at an angle of 10-20 degrees to the left.
I have been through similar trouble with my vehicles and would like to offer a few checks and solutions which worked for me. The perfect diagnosis to this would be by checking through both hardware and software.

Tyre Alignment
This is the classic cause of the said problem. The alignment was perhaps performed when the steering wheel was in the off centre position, or if the wheels were not parallel and straight when the vehicle was aligned at the tyre shop. So if this is the issue, an alignment should help you sort the issue.

Steering Centre Check
This is another possible checkpoint in such cases where the Steering wheel geometry is off. This commonly occurs in instances when the Steering wheel was removed by a technician and refitted onto the Steering Column shaft without properly aligning the stock gears in the spline. The steering column typically has a dot which needs to match with the mark on the steering wheel. If it is slightly disturbed, it might cause a 3-10 degree geometry difference, but if it has been erroneously fitted, it could cause a greater steering cross feel.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-p1110225.jpg

Suspension
The vehicle subframe, steering rack and tie rod ends also need to be inspected if they are in sound condition as they control the alignment to a great extent. If they are improperly aligned, then no matter how straight or correct the alignment is, the steering will never correspond to the centre position.

Hope this helps.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 00:54   #6681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
Got my 6th year Add on warranty for GT petrol. My car is in stock condition and a daily runner for me - this makes warranty as an imperative.
Thanks for sharing this useful information. I have an MY 2015 GT TSI which is out of warranty since August because VW wouldn't sell me add-on warranty for a second time. Can you please share the name of the service centre from where you purchased your 6th year add-on warranty?
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:39   #6682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Thanks for sharing this useful information. Can you please share the name of the service centre from where you purchased your 6th year add-on warranty?
Bought it from my regular service station - Downtown Sewri Mumbai.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:57   #6683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
My mileage is about 48k. Issue started at about 46.5k km
Thanks for the advice. I should ask for a detailed breakup and evidence of the need to replace instead of repair. Will follow it up.
Usually, 40-50k kms is the limit for disc brake pads. Maybe lesser. But, drum shoes should last you at least 1L kms or more. ~7k is the cost for disc brake pads. I got them changed (1st change) in my last service, at 63k on the odo.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 16:36   #6684
BHPian

Hey everyone.
I have a 2018 Dec GT Tsi which has clocked over 22k kms. Yesterday I had got the second servicing done.
Today I just happen to lean on the car a bit while talking on the phone and pressed on the fuel cap by mistake and it opened. Which made me think the car was not locked.
But it turns out the car was indeed locked. And fuel cap just opens by pressing on it in this locked state .
I have checked all doors and boot they remain shut when locked but the fuel cap for some reason is not getting locked.
I have 2+2 warranty on the car. And even the initial 2 years will only get over on Dec 18th.
I searched in this forum for a bit and was not able to find anyone else with the same problem. Had anyone experienced or solved the same problem ? If yes , is it covered under warranty ?
I took it back to the service centre today and they are asking for approx 4k expense for change of a part which he referred to as fuel cap "actuator"( this is what I could make out from him under the mask) .
On explaining I have warranty the person was like ok you have warranty. And then she later explained this part won't come under warranty . When I asked them to explain why , she said I'll just confirm with my senior. Then she later said it might be under warranty I'll have to confirm with you on the phone later in the evening.
Poor states of affairs frankly with VW service centre here in chandigarh.
Kindly help with inputs and thanks for the same.
Old 12th December 2020, 18:15   #6685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phro View Post
Hey everyone.
I have a 2018 Dec GT Tsi which has clocked over 22k kms. Yesterday I had got the second servicing done.
Today I just happen to lean on the car a bit while talking on the phone and pressed on the fuel cap by mistake and it opened. Which made me think the car was not locked.
But it turns out the car was indeed locked. And fuel cap just opens by pressing on it in this locked state .
to confirm with you on the phone later in the evening.
Hey, the diagnosis is spot-on. If your car is locked and the Fuel Lid opens then it is a case of a Fuel Lid Lock Actuator failure. It is an electromechanical component and is a common failure on several Volkswagen cars. It should be replaced under warranty, but you may inspect it yourself to check if it is really failing. Sometimes, the actuator might be working, but the lid doesn't get engaged onto the groves on the actuator pin. In this case, I managed to fix this by using some grease, and aligning the lid cap. But if you're positive that the lid is holding just fine, then it might just be the Fuel Lid Actuator. A friend of mine had his Actuator replaced under warranty.
Old 12th December 2020, 21:05   #6686
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
A friend of mine had his Actuator replaced under warranty.
Same issue in my GT, they diagnosed it themselves and changed it under warranty. I think that was in initial 2 years, now nearing 6 years and holding good.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 22:20   #6687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phro View Post
... On explaining I have warranty the person was like ok you have warranty. And then she later explained this part won't come under warranty . When I asked them to explain why , she said I'll just confirm with my senior. Then she later said it might be under warranty I'll have to confirm with you on the phone later in the evening.
Poor states of affairs frankly with VW service centre here in chandigarh.
Kindly help with inputs and thanks for the same.
The usual VW spiel. Why they spoil their reputation with this penny-pinching I don't know. Stand your ground. Well... better actually read the small print, but if you are still within the car's initial warranty period, I don't see why anything should be excluded.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 08:15   #6688
BHPian

Guys I'm getting a weird trrrrr type of noise in my car at lower RPMs It's been back to the ASC 3/4 times for this. They always claim to be unable to find it, or its been fixed, but it always comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone know what it is and a possible fix?
Old 13th December 2020, 13:20   #6689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Guys I'm getting a weird trrrrr type of noise in my car ...
Is there a possibility it may come from the AC/ventilation system? I get a noise in my car, which is only noticeable at low speed.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:14   #6690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Guys I'm getting a weird trrrrr type of noise in my car at lower RPMs It's been back to the ASC 3/4 times for this. They always claim to be unable to find it, or its been fixed, but it always comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone know what it is and a possible fix?
If it comes at certain RPM and goes away, it could be even some loose screws which vibrate at some RPM range.
Does it happen during idling also? In that case it could be drive belt/AC belt or even valve tappets. On I used to get trrr noise in my car and it happened to be a cabin filter with a hole which used to cause the sound when the blower was on)
Is there also vibration along with the sound?
Does it happen only when the AC is on?

Last edited by Guna : 13th December 2020 at 14:16.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed