Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 15:18   #6826
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Has anyone order part from Car Craft?

I am on the look out for the flip logo reverse camera, and have found one on their site for a price that's quite a lot cheaper than what some others are quoting.
Old 20th October 2021, 11:53   #6827

VW Polo GT for 7L?

Hi fellow BHPians,

I'm looking for a good used car for around 7-8 Lacs. This will be my first car.

I had come across a second hand VW Polo GT for ~7L and was wondering if this is a good deal.

Details about the car:
  • It is a 2016 Red VW Polo GT TSI
  • Has run around 50k KMs
  • Has minor scratches on the rear quarter and pillion side door
  • Supposedly has good service record and no records of any major accidents
  • No extended warranty was purchased and hence currently out of warranty
  • test driven by my friend but not very extensively and he says it is good. I have yet to take a test drive

What I'm looking for:
  • I have driven various cars but never a VW, and in general I liked the way some of the cars handle
  • I would like to have a good and fun to drive car, can go nice and slow without NVH when enjoying the views and also provide a burst of acceleration when needed
  • Should be well equipped in-terms of safety, at least a 4-star rated one
  • Back seat should be comfortable for 2 ~4 hr rides, and should be able to seat 3
  • Enough Boot for accommodating a 3-4 day trip for all
  • Should have functional features as close to Hyundai's as possible - Android Auto, Electronic ORVMs, Day-Night IRVM (manual/automatic), steering controls
  • My general preference include Honda City or a Skoda Rapid or a good SUV (but currently definitely out of budget). But Polo GT was something I wanted to own, especially in Red

Our current plan for car is to buy a used car now, which we can used for 2-3 years and then go for a new car. The current lack for good offerings (or waiting for the new offerings to mature) is the reason for this plan. We initially had thought of waiting till March'22 and buy a first hand Honda City, but changed that after rumors of a new Hybrid City and also after looking at the latest new releases with ADAS, which I'm expecting to become standard slowly in a couple of years.

Request your help regarding this decision. Please feel free to suggest any other options or a better plan for my driving journey. Thanks in advance.
crazy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:17   #6828

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Attachment 2217807

Khardungla pass! I recently did a Bangalore-Leh trip on my GT TSI, will try to pen down the experience soon.
Thanks Anshuman for the Preview of sorts !
Eager to take this trip on my GT but a little sceptic about the ground clearance of Polo. Even on my Elite i20 (similar GC) could not muster courage to take it past Rohtang La thinking of water crossings/ boulder kind stones etc.
Will be watching out for your detailed travelogue on this one.
Coolvik_2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:24   #6829
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT for 7L?

The Polo feels cramped both in front and behind. I would suggest saving your money and going for a 1.6 petrol Fabia. Uncomplicated drivetrain means less maintenance worries, lack of "waterfall" type center console means your left leg will remain happy even though it is a manual and from my personal experience it seems to handle just a bit better than the Polo

Another brilliant all rounder in the price bracket you have mentioned would be the Kizashi. Try driving one before making up your mind to settle with a Polo GT
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 03:40   #6830

Thank you. Will give them both a try. With those 2 models retired quite a time back, i couldn't find either of them in my initial searches in Telengana.
Old 21st October 2021, 08:05   #6831
Senior - BHPian

Polo is not a 5 seater. The rear is cramped and at best it's a nice 2 seater with option to carry 2 more in the back. You want everything but your heart wants Polo. Unfortunately you have to make a compromise somewhere. If you don't need a hatch find an used Jetta for similar price and you will have ticked most boxes if not all. That car is way more powerful for your need of sudden fun while offers space comfort and boot space, plus all the features. Else stick to a red polo and live with its quirks on space.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 08:08   #6832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy42 View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I'm looking for a good used car for around 7-8 Lacs. This will be my first car. I had come across a second hand VW Polo GT for ~7L and was wondering if this is a good deal.

Our current plan for car is to buy a used car now, which we can used for 2-3 years and then go for a new car.
A used out-of-warranty German is EXACTLY what I advice first time buyers to stay away from.

Honda City 4th gen meets most of your requirements, apart from safety, which is questionable. It has that typical Japanese lightness and feels nowhere close to the Germans in terms of driving dynamics. However, it scores heavily in terms of performance (in MT), reliability, resale value and space management. Build quality and driving dynamics are not major deterrents to a first time car buyer or someone who has little experience with other/better cars.

It would be easier for us if you could elaborate on your usage and fuel & transmission preferences.
Old 21st October 2021, 08:16   #6833
Distinguished - BHPian

You mentioned that this would be your first car. Are you also relatively new to driving? Buy an abuse friendly used car as your first car, otherwise you will end up spending a lot of money on owning cars like Polo and similar VW group cars. If you are keen to have a fun-to-drive car, consider previous Jazz 1.5, 2008 Honda City, Toyota Liva hatchback, etc.
Old 21st October 2021, 09:31   #6834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy42 View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I'm looking for a good used car for around 7-8 Lacs. This will be my first car.

I had come across a second hand VW Polo GT for ~7L and was wondering if this is a good deal.
If you have Polo in your mind with the budget of 7-8 lakhs then why don't you consider the base model of brand new Polo? Get extended warranty addon along with zero dep insurance and you can drive worry free for the next 5-7 years (Depending on the warranty and insurance coverage offered at your your place). All you will need to spend just around Rs. 7-8K on the yearly services in the initial 5-7 years of ownership, rest all will be covered in the warranty and insurance.

This is one car which can withstand against abuses very well and ages gracefully. Bullet proof safety, composed road manners and durability are added bonus.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:57   #6835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post

Think to look for with regards to DSG from my experience so far:
- Check if the car crawls forward in D without pressing the accelerator.
- Check to see if there is a pronounced jerk, or even a jerk in general between D2 and D3. A slight jerk is quiet common amongst DSG, so nothing to worry about that. In my case, I can barely feel it, if at all.
If all is well, it should crawl without any inputs right?

I am looking at a 2019 1.2, so can one just plug a camera into the head unit of this particular year Polo?

Also if some kind folks would tell me what additions were made to this particular year Polo.

Last edited by johy : 21st October 2021 at 13:04.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:28   #6836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
If all is well, it should crawl without any inputs right?
Yes, it should creep forward, just like it would in a manual car when you left off the clutch in first gear.

Quote:
I am looking at a 2019 1.2, so can one just plug a camera into the head unit of this particular year Polo?
I assume you mean a reversing camera? And yes, you do get OEM units that are pretty much plug and play, provided you have a RCD 330/340 headunit.

Quote:
Also if some kind folks would tell me what additions were made to this particular year Polo.
What I know for sure is one major 'downsize' made IMO was the removal of the DSG and to a regular torque convertor.
Also the engine is a 1L 3 cylinder instead of the previous 1.2L 4 cylinder.
I THINK the front and gear has a slightly different finish to it, but I'm not too certain.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 15:40   #6837
BHPian

Quote:
provided you have a RCD 330/340 headunit.

Thanks for your inputs. This is a June 2019 model and has a 1.2 DSG. I read some place that the 2019 model came with a RCE 330/340, but I wanted to confirm.

I am still torn between this one and booking a new i10 NLine. We only have a very small VW service outlet in town, compared to 4 workshops of Hyundai!
Old 21st October 2021, 16:04   #6838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I was reading T-BHP review to the effect that the new 1.0 is better than the old 1.2! Oh, wait, that was for TSI. But still...
Old 21st October 2021, 16:07   #6839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yesterday, I was reading T-BHP review to the effect that the new 1.0 is better than the old 1.2! Oh, wait, that was for TSI. But still...
Yes, it does seem better when it comes to the top end of the rev range. I guess it being a DOHC does give it that benefit, compared to the SOHC of the previous 1.2 TSI.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:43   #6840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still torn between this one and booking a new i10 NLine. We only have a very small VW service outlet in town, compared to 4 workshops of Hyundai!
Johy, it should be a new i10 only, don’t bother with a pre-owned VW at all. Don’t just buy a car, buy peace of mind as well with four workshops of Hyundai versus one small outlet of VW. You will be happier in the long run when it comes to actually living with the car if you go with a brand new Hyundai.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks