Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 09:50   #6931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
Then why do I hear a slight strain on the engine even with the level set to 0? And by slight, I literally mean noticeable only when you're personally well familiar with the car and how it sounds during start up and running.
Level 0 means, am assuming that you are keeping the fan speed OFF?
In that case, the compressor doesn't switch ON (there is no 'click' sound). There shouldn't be any strain on the engine in this mode.

Quote:
Recently, I have decided to switch the car off only after completely turning off the AC unit including it's screen. And turning it back on once the car is in motion. When I do turn it on, I press the AUTO button and let it do it's thing.
Absolutely, the thing to do

However, I go one step ahead. After switching ON the engine, I drive off for couple of hundred meters or so + roll down the windows simultaneously + allow the inside air to be blown out naturally, and only then I switch ON the AC.
And then I repeat the same while switching off/returning home, but all in reverse sequence. Guess it helps the turbo to idle.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 01:50   #6932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Level 0 means, am assuming that you are keeping the fan speed OFF?
In that case, the compressor doesn't switch ON (there is no 'click' sound). There shouldn't be any strain on the engine in this mode.
Yes by level 0 I mean there are no fan speed bars in the display.
I don't think strain is the right word to use, but the engine feels and sounds like it's a little more free, almost like a slight weight being lifted off it's shoulders.
Obviously, once I do start the AC, I hear a click and can hear and feel the compressor and the engine a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Absolutely, the thing to do

However, I go one step ahead. After switching ON the engine, I drive off for couple of hundred meters or so + roll down the windows simultaneously + allow the inside air to be blown out naturally, and only then I switch ON the AC.
And then I repeat the same while switching off/returning home, but all in reverse sequence. Guess it helps the turbo to idle.
Yes, I do the the initially bits too. I keep my window down, allowing fresh air to circulate from outside for a minute or 2, then roll them back up and start the AC.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 22:47   #6933
BHPian

Upgraded my stock RCD 320 to the RCD 340G Plus a few days ago.
Night and day difference when it comes to functionality and usefulness, let alone sprucing up the interior.

Had it installed by Nikhil at The Mechanix Automotive in Pune. It's hard to believe that there are almost NO places in Bombay that deal with VAG retrofits.
Also, did a few VCDS tweaks while I was there just to add a little more depth to the MID system.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220301-22.42.04.jpeg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220301-22.42.03.jpeg  

PrisonMike is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:16   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded my stock RCD 320 to the RCD 340G Plus a few days ago.
Night and day difference when it comes to functionality and usefulness, let alone sprucing up the interior.

Had it installed by Nikhil at The Mechanix Automotive in Pune. It's hard to believe that there are almost NO places in Bombay that deal with VAG retrofits.
Also, did a few VCDS tweaks while I was there just to add a little more depth to the MID system.
Looks good, could you share the cost of installing the 340G and the VCDS tweaks?
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:26   #6935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Looks good, could you share the cost of installing the 340G and the VCDS tweaks?
I paid ₹26k for the unit after negotiating with the dealer.
Plus ₹1.5k for an ISO to quadlock adapter, since my car is an older model.
Plus ₹1,000/- for the installation + VCDS tweaks done at Michanix Automotive.

P.S: I have my RCD 320 that I'll be putting up for sale soon. If anyone would be interested in it, then please contact me.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 12:46   #6936

Quote:
In my opinions, the infamous DSG reliability is a bit blown out of proportion. Sure there have been failures that have been recorded, but IMO light tends to be shed more on the cases of failure than the countless others that have done over 1.5-2 lacs KMS without hassle.
In 'S' mode, the gearbox uses a lot more of the rev range, so I not sure what you mean by hesitation in shifting up from 3rd. If you're giving a linearly increasing throttle input the gears will shift up around the 4-5k RPM mark. Does this happen in the regular drive mode as well?
Update on the up shift problem. I have had the car in my possession for 3 days now, I was running myself in with the vehicle, its a delight to drive in the city, the last hatchback I owned was a zen, and since then its only been SUVs or Sedans in the garage. So the usability of a small, peppy car in the city is amazing.

Coming back to the DSG issue, i went for a sunday morning highway run, when I put the GB on "S" the first and second gears shifted up at about 5K RPM but again on the 3rd gear the car was hitting its rev limiter. Only when I took my foot off the accelerator did the GB shift up to 4th.

When I launched the second time it same issue happened in 2nd gear, I had to lift off when the car hit its rev limiter and only then did the GB shift into 3rd.

In the normal "D" mode, the gears are clocking all the way to 7th, without any jerks or hesitation. As I had mentioned earlier, when I take the control to manual, i can shift through all the gears without an issue.

Does anyone have any advise with what the problem might be in "S" mode?

Thanks
Enthusiastic new hot hatch owner
Old 6th March 2022, 14:11   #6937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul_pathak View Post
Coming back to the DSG issue, i went for a sunday morning highway run, when I put the GB on "S" the first and second gears shifted up at about 5K RPM but again on the 3rd gear the car was hitting its rev limiter. Only when I took my foot off the accelerator did the GB shift up to 4th.

When I launched the second time it same issue happened in 2nd gear, I had to lift off when the car hit its rev limiter and only then did the GB shift into 3rd.
In S Mode, not only the gears are held longer, the shift points also depend on the level of throttle. Higher the throttle, higher will be the shift point. So what you are experiencing is possible because of throttle modulation. So unless you are maintaining a constant throttle, shift points for each gear can be different.

Also, if this is a new car, it will take some time for the DSG to learn your driving style and adapt accordingly.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th March 2022 at 13:46. Reason: edited
Old 7th March 2022, 11:47   #6938
BHPian

Looks great. Does anyone here know who deals with RCD 340G Plus in Bangalore? Any recommended dealers/contacts/references?

Thanks

Quote:
I paid ₹26k for the unit after negotiating with the dealer.
Plus ₹1.5k for an ISO to quadlock adapter, since my car is an older model.
Plus ₹1,000/- for the installation + VCDS tweaks done at Michanix Automotive.

P.S: I have my RCD 320 that I'll be putting up for sale soon. If anyone would be interested in it, then please contact me.
Old 7th March 2022, 12:47   #6939
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul_pathak View Post

Does anyone have any advise with what the problem might be in "S" mode?
There is no problem. I think, once you've driven it enough you'll get used to modulating throttle input to shift gears.

Having said that, if I have to drive aggressive, I'm better at using the manual mode, than just keep over revving in S.
Old 7th March 2022, 13:25   #6940

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I’m S mode, not only the gears are held longer, the shift points also depend on the level of throttle. Higher the throttle, higher will be the shift point. So what you are experiencing is possible because of throttle modulation. So unless you are maintaining a constant throttle, shift points for each gear can be different.

Also, if this is a new car, it will take some time for the DSG to learn your driving style and adapt accordingly.
Thank you for this! I had a sleepless night wondering is the ghost of a DQ200's past has come to haunt me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
There is no problem. I think, once you've driven it enough you'll get used to modulating throttle input to shift gears.

Having said that, if I have to drive aggressive, I'm better at using the manual mode, than just keep over revving in S.
Thank you @SLK This is reassuring, I'm sure I will learn the ropes soon! I was only worried about the over revving at a constant throttle input. It was basically peddle to the metal all along till the rev limiter hit.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th March 2022 at 13:31. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 7th March 2022, 13:59   #6941
BHPian

Does anyone know a good number plate shop in Mumbai? I cracked my front plate due to a stupid lapse in concentration a few weeks ago, and wanted to replace them.

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2022, 11:42   #6942
BHPian

Coming up on 4 years of Polo GT TSI ownership and it has been great so far. Great engine-gearbox combo making driving real fun.

However, I wouldn't mind (much) better seats. It really takes a toll on my back when I do Bangalore <-> Kochi trips. Wouldn't mind getting rid of the lackluster fabric upholstery as well. If anyone have changed seats of their Polo, please give me pointers on how to do the same.

I have also noticed the ride is so much worse than my father's Octavia. While I do not expect it be on par, are there ways to improve the ride? I do not mind shelling out money, I very well intend to keep Polo for a long time.
Old 13th March 2022, 11:56   #6943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I have also noticed the ride is so much worse than my father's Octavia. While I do not expect it be on par, are there ways to improve the ride? I do not mind shelling out money, I very well intend to keep Polo for a long time.
I’ve upgraded the stock dampers to Sachs street dampers and there is a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling. Bad patches are handled with aplomb and the car transmits much less of the road to the occupants. That coupled with Michelin P4STs has completely transformed the cars behaviour.

That being said, the ride will not be as good as an Octavia. There simply is no substitute for the much beefier and complex suspension setup in the Octavia.
thechinmay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:02   #6944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechinmay View Post
I’ve upgraded the stock dampers to Sachs street dampers and there is a noticeable difference in ride quality and handling. Bad patches are handled with aplomb and the car transmits much less of the road to the occupants. That coupled with Michelin P4STs has completely transformed the cars behaviour.

That being said, the ride will not be as good as an Octavia. There simply is no substitute for the much beefier and complex suspension setup in the Octavia.
Could you please share the cost of dampers and the place where you get them ?
Thanks
MayurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:30   #6945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechinmay View Post
I’ve upgraded the stock dampers to Sachs street dampers ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
Could you please share the cost of dampers and the place where you get them ?
I came to thread to ask the same thing, plus, as much information on the product and experience as possible. Please?

My TDI needs some suspension work now, and I'd probably be tempted to do this too. Planning FNG route for the work anyway: the car is way past warranty and savings can be made from the dealer-service costs
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed