Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 13:49   #6946
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayurS View Post
Could you please share the cost of dampers and the place where you get them ?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I came to thread to ask the same thing, plus, as much information on the product and experience as possible. Please?

My TDI needs some suspension work now, and I'd probably be tempted to do this too. Planning FNG route for the work anyway: the car is way past warranty and savings can be made from the dealer-service costs
I got the dampers changed in August last year. The dampers themselves were about 31k for a set of 4. Total damage to the wallet including strut mounts, a weak engine mount and labour came up to just under 40k. I got the work done from The Mechanix in Pune. I believe a distributor for Sachs is based out of Chennai.

The suspension is slightly firmer at very low speeds but overall body control is much better. High speed stability is great and the car can carry much higher speeds in the corners. The ride at regular town speeds is also great and more comfortable than before.
thechinmay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:05   #6947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechinmay View Post
The suspension is slightly firmer at very low speeds but overall body control is much better. ... ... ... The ride at regular town speeds is also great and more comfortable than before.
Thank you very much for that and the other information. I'm a little uncertain if "firmer: but "more comfortable at regular town speeds" adds up to more comfortable over the bumps and pot holes?

I wouldn't mind it, but primarily for my wife's sake. She is not buying it when I tell her, "Think of it as a free massage!"
Old 14th March 2022, 17:31   #6948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you very much for that and the other information. I'm a little uncertain if "firmer: but "more comfortable at regular town speeds" adds up to more comfortable over the bumps and pot holes?

I wouldn't mind it, but primarily for my wife's sake. She is not buying it when I tell her, "Think of it as a free massage!"
Well, to clarify, my stock suspension was on its last legs and one of the dampers had leaked. The ride quality definitely feels plusher than that. By regular town speeds I mean anything above 25-30kmph - it settles down by then and is more comfortable.
thechinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 17:40   #6949
BHPian

'Firmness' and 'comfort' are subjective. So I would say drive a car fitted with the said suspension and decide. When my front struts were gone I retrofitted the all fours with Sachs and now that they are run in, the ride feels 'firmer' than stock. I also made my purchase decision based on user opinions and though I don't have any regrets I do wish I went for the OEM ones.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 18:53   #6950
BHPian

I was reading another thread about some damage being caused to the gearbox due to a stone hitting it, and a subsequent workshop quote of Rs.5 lakhs. Someone on the thread mentioned that he installed an engine guard for Rs.8k recently, which was something that used to be company fitted on all VWs until 2013.

Does anyone know if a July 2013 GT TSI will have an engine guard fitted on it? I don't want to go down on all fours to check, and so I thought asking here would be easier.
Old 22nd March 2022, 23:00   #6951
BHPian

I think it does as seen in the photo that I took.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-guard.jpg
Old 24th March 2022, 16:49   #6952
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have a MY2018 car that has run ~40K kms till now. For some time now, I have been getting this rattle from front left hand side of the car, and I know that most folks in the thread have faced this issue. It usually boils down to top mount & tie rod in most cases.

Now the SA at Volkswagen Whitefield has quoted 11K for replacement of top mount, tie road and another thing that I cannot recollect now. Last time, when I visited there, the SA had lubricated the entire assembly wherever required and the rattle was down to almost negligible. But he had advised me to replace the suspension @ ~4K.

Now I'm surprised at how did it go from 4K to 11K in a matter of 5-6 months? I checked boodmo for the parts and tie rod, mount, ball joint & strut all combined do not cross ~3.5K. Even after adding labour, this shouldn't cross 5K in the worst case.

Am I missing something here, or is the SA trying to rip me off?
Old 24th March 2022, 20:14   #6953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
I think it does as seen in the photo that I took.

Attachment 2287336
The photo that you shared is just the front portion of the lock carrier (it shows the empty slots where the splash guard would fit). The complete "splash guard" [engine guard] as it is called looks like the one I am sharing below.
As far as I know, only TDIs came with engine guard in India. For TSI you need to procure and install it separately. As pointed out earlier, it costs somewhere around 7-8k.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3149.jpeg
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 10:52   #6954
BHPian

Dear Polo Owners

I have always owned big cars in my life starting with the longest car that I ever owned - The Contessa Classic when I was 25 to a Cielo , Scorpio, Camry, Grand Vitara 2.0, Grand Vitara 2.4.

Due to the NGT rule I recently sold off my Camry and my Grand Vitara 2.0, and am left with only the Grand Vitara 2.4 Manual.

I am thinking of a second car, and my wife and daughter insist that they need a small automatic car. I narrowed down to Baleno CVT and the Polo GT. The head says Baleno for low cost of maintenance, easily available spares, and trusted trouble free ownership reviews. The heart though says the Polo GT, it will be a fun car to drive. It will be mostly driven in the city without need of too much space.

The new 2022 Baleno has the AMT not the CVT so I was looking for a few year old pre-owned 2018-19 Baleno CVT in the range of 6-7 lakhs.

A few days back I suddenly came across a Polo GT at my mechanics which had come for suspension work and I was impressed by the drive quality. I am an enthusiastic driver and it's really a fun to drive car. Also the Red GT will be a great first car for my daughter who is 19. After researching a little I have been warned enough about the issues with the DSG in the Polo GT. Going through the threads about the Polo GT here on team-bhp I have also understood that it will be a pretty expensive car to maintain. Still the heart says find a good Polo GT.

Now my question is will it be easy to find a 2017-20 Polo GT in good condition which can be trusted. I saw a few listed in Delhi -NCR on Facebook and the prices are all over from 4.35 to 8. My mechanics tell me not to buy from used car dealers as I will never know what lies inside.

Most important question is what would be the important things to check while taking a test drive ?

Last if any of you Polo Owners know anybody in Delhi-NCR selling a Polo GT please connect me as I would always prefer to buy from an owner and not a dealer.

Styler
Old 2nd April 2022, 21:06   #6955
BHPian

Hello friends,
I need suggestions.

I have started noticing sound from the front tire/suspension everytime the car goes through a speed breaker. Almost like a hissing sound as if air is going out. There is no difference in ride quality or anything else.

Before I visit the service guys i want to check if this is of any concern e.g. is my suspension off? The car has run barely 20k in 3+ years and driven carefully.

Also any recommendations on which VW service center is reliable In the HSR area of Bangalore?

Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:32   #6956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hello friends,
I need suggestions.

I have started noticing sound from the front tire/suspension everytime the car goes through a speed breaker. Almost like a hissing sound as if air is going out. There is no difference in ride quality or anything else.

Before I visit the service guys i want to check if this is of any concern e.g. is my suspension off? The car has run barely 20k in 3+ years and driven carefully.
Thanks
The 'hissing' sound from the suspension travel is a common occurrence in all Polos. Only people who have upgraded/changed their entire suspension setup have reported a silent ride over speed breakers.
Old 4th April 2022, 17:23   #6957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
The 'hissing' sound from the suspension travel is a common occurrence in all Polos. Only people who have upgraded/changed their entire suspension setup have reported a silent ride over speed breakers.
Thanks! I have noticed this only in front suspension and not the rear. Is that also usual?
Old 4th April 2022, 17:39   #6958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Thanks! I have noticed this only in front suspension and not the rear. Is that also usual?
I hear the hissing sound out of my front suspensions as well. That could just be because you're sitting closer to the front axel as compared to the rears.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 17:40   #6959
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Dear Polo Owners

I have always owned big cars in my life starting with the longest car that I ever owned - The Contessa Classic when I was 25 to a Cielo , Scorpio, Camry, Grand Vitara 2.0, Grand Vitara 2.4.
The best would be to take it to VW for a pre-purchase inspection. Plenty of things can be wrong with an old car. Such as mounts/suspension/gearbox on its last legs/ tensioner/water pump etc etc
Easier when pre-purchase inspection is done by the car manufacturer

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2022 at 17:27. Reason: Spell and Trimmed quoted posts.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 17:20   #6960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Background: I bought a Polo GT TSI in April 2017 and it came with a RCD 330G HU. A few months later VW in it's infinite wisdom and its in-numerable variants strategy introduced the Polo GT TSI Sports

Have run into the same issue. Got the new RCD 340G and required the Anti-theft code to begin with. Called one of the technicians at VW who gave me the code after asking for my RCD Serial Number and Chassis number. The code worked, however, the applications, for which I had purchased the new head unit, are not functioning.

I don't know if I should go to the ASS or some other garage for the VCDS Coding. The service centre may hesitate to do it.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Do you guys know someone in Delhi NCR who can undertake this coding?

Regards

Mod Note - Please quote only the relevant portion, Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2022 at 17:26. Reason: Trimmed Quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks