Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 22:37   #6976
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Congratulations on your new car!
Scratches, dents are a part and parcel of any car ownership. Been there done that. It's best to get the car checked by a detailer to see if the scratches can be removed without re-painting the panel.
I own a Lapiz Blue GT, and my experience re-painting from the VW service centre has been super bad. They were not able to match the colour, and the finish was just unacceptable by any standards.
Well yes. Its a part of any car's life. Although I didn't saw it coming this soon, and to see that on a car which was just a fortnight old did pinch me a bit. I took my car to Volkswagen Rajdhani and they themselves suggested not to get anything repainted because touchwood, the scratches were very minor. Most of the black marks were easily cleaned and I was myself delighted to see that the damage was almost negligible. For the rest (the keyed part), they simply re-touched the car with the factory paint such that the scratch is almost gone - infact one won't even notice it from a distance.

Quote:
I finally got those very panels re-painted from a renowned body shop. The work they did was excellent, and I've been going to them ever since (have had people crash into me while standing still in traffic, had people brush against my bumper while the car was parked in the parking lot, have had kids key away the paint on the bonnet). I recently got the car detailed from them, and it's back to new
I've learnt to accept that this is going to happen, and I have peace of mind that I know a workshop which will restore my car anytime something happens. I suppose that's all one needs.
I'll be more than happy to share the details of the workshop if you're keen.

Edit: Re-painting outside may cost you equal or lesser than VW. Should not cost more in my experience.
I had already got my car detailed from Detailing Devils, Noida within a week after I got the car delivered. They are very good at what they do and I am very happy with the results.

And yes. After some years, I would definitely want to get the car repainted (if needed). So certainly. Thank you! I'd love to know where this body and paint workshop is. Just for that added peace of mind, as you said.

Here's a picture of mine after a wash.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-1652893191867.jpg
Siddy_1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 10:01   #6977
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

Has anyone carried out the DSG and Multiclutch Oil Change. Would really appreciate pointers and the cost involved for the same
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:24   #6978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy_1998 View Post
Here's a picture of mine after a wash.
Looks absolutely spectacular. In my opinion the GT looks best in Flash Red. Just nothing like it on the road with the richness of this colour after a fresh wash and wax.

Unfortunately I have decided to sell my mint condition GT TSI (only done 19k km). Super hard decision to make but just have to do it as don't need a second car at the moment. This has been my 2nd Polo, first being a GT TDI, and I have absolutely loved both.

I've put it up in the TBHP Classifieds if anyone is interested. Just got it detailed, so going to enjoy her for the last few days now!
s4ch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:46   #6979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Looks absolutely spectacular. In my opinion the GT looks best in Flash Red. Just nothing like it on the road with the richness of this colour after a fresh wash and wax.
Thank you for the appreciation. This is not the GT though. it is the Highline Plus variant. I didn't went for the GT because I wanted all that TSI power delivered through a proper 6-speed manual.

Also interestingly, this color was not our first preference. We wanted to have one in Carbon Steel Grey (mum thought that Flash Red was indeed too flashy). We ended up with the Flash Red anyway because it was readily available. Further, Volkswagen had decided to end production, so only the remaining inventory was on sale, so we decided not to take any chance. With time though, this color now has grown on mum too, she likes it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Unfortunately I have decided to sell my mint condition GT TSI (only done 19k km). Super hard decision to make but just have to do it as don't need a second car at the moment. This has been my 2nd Polo, first being a GT TDI, and I have absolutely loved both.

I've put it up in the TBHP Classifieds if anyone is interested. Just got it detailed, so going to enjoy her for the last few days now!
Which is your other car? Is it as good to drive (or better) as the Polo?
Old 24th May 2022, 16:41   #6980
BHPian

Quote:
I'll be more than happy to share the details of the workshop if you're keen.
Quote:
Edit: Re-painting outside may cost you equal or lesser than VW. Should not cost more in my experience.

Excuse me @veyron999, would you please share the details of the workshop? I might need to check it out.
Old 25th May 2022, 23:02   #6981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy_1998 View Post
Excuse me @veyron999, would you please share the details of the workshop? I might need to check it out.
Sure thing! Here's the link to their website - https://trautoworks.com
Website seems rather slow, but has their contact details. You can talk to Rohit there. They do a good job, but are usually backlogged, and take a longer turn around time than you'd expect.

Last edited by veyron999 : 25th May 2022 at 23:07.
veyron999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 02:08   #6982
BHPian

Hey guys.

I was planning on upgrading my cabin light to the W8 Passat lights. The one that am about to purchase comes with a adapter, since the connection that the Polo's regular cabin light uses isn't compatible with that of the Passat's. However, I noticed something that I fail to understand due to my general lack of electrical know how.

Below is the attached plug and play adapter that would be included with the cabin lights.

What I fail to understand is, where will the No 2 connector fit in?
The Stock harness as shown in the image would fit the stock cabin light, but would not fit the Passat's.

I fail to understand the 'Plug and play' aspect of this mod. Does the existing connector need to be spliced off and have the Passat's adapter spliced in instead?

Would greatly appreciate a little help with this. It should be a simple enough mod, but general lack of knowledge isn't helping me progress any further.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-capture2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th June 2022, 06:24   #6983
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
I fail to understand the 'Plug and play' aspect of this mod. Does the existing connector need to be spliced off and have the Passat's adapter spliced in instead?
No. Splicing is not required.
  1. Unplug the stock harness from the existing cabin light assembly
  2. Plug the stock harness into #2 connector in the adapter cable
  3. Plug #1 connector of the adapter cable to the new cabin light
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:52   #6984
Senior - BHPian

My GT's battery gave up the ghost last Saturday. Tried starting using jumper wire but that also wouldn't happen.

Is it normal for a dead battery to not take the load even when using jump leads?

Also VW doesn't have Varta in stock. So I have to buy from outside. What is the specification and will this affect warranty?
Old 5th July 2022, 23:53   #6985
BHPian

Hi guys,

So I am thinking of getting my stock headlights/bulbs replaced, because I'm sure you all know how poorly the stock lights perform. Also, considering the monsoon have begun, it's even harder to see the road at night.

I wanted to know the best way forward.

- Do I replace the bulbs with a set of higher intensity halogens?
- Do I switch to aftermarket LED headlights?
- Do I go for a HID conversion?

Any inputs would be appreciated as always!
Old 6th July 2022, 03:58   #6986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

- Do I replace the bulbs with a set of higher intensity halogens?
- Do I switch to aftermarket LED headlights?
- Do I go for a HID conversion?
I'd choose between a better set of halogen bulbs with the same intensity : Oram Night Breaker, etc.; or a LED conversion.
That being said, if you want better visibility in monsoons then warmer white halogen will perform better than bright white LED/HID; though in dry weather the reverse holds true.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 04:14   #6987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd choose between a better set of halogen bulbs with the same intensity : Oram Night Breaker, etc.; or a LED conversion.
I had a pair of Night Breakers in my previous car. While the output was a little better than stocks, it still wasn't sufficient enough for my to comfortably drive at night.
Any particular reason as to why you'd suggest going with the same intensity as opposed to something with higher W?

By LED conversion I assume you also mean replacing the stock reflector housing with projectors? I've seen many comparisons that say HID + projectors are a lot more effective in terms of visibility as compared to LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That being said, if you want better visibility in monsoons then warmer white halogen will perform better than bright white LED/HID; though in dry weather the reverse holds true.
I was planning on installing 4300k fog lamps with a higher lumen than my stocks to deal with the rain. Since I don't really tend to drive as much in the monsoon as I generally do otherwise.

Last edited by PrisonMike : 6th July 2022 at 04:15.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 15:20   #6988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason as to why you'd suggest going with the same intensity as opposed to something with higher W?

By LED conversion I assume you also mean replacing the stock reflector housing with projectors? I've seen many comparisons that say HID + projectors are a lot more effective in terms of visibility as compared to LED.

I was planning on installing 4300k fog lamps with a higher lumen than my stocks to deal with the rain. Since I don't really tend to drive as much in the monsoon as I generally do otherwise.
Personally I find the 90/100W drivers to really be an annoyance while driving, hence suggested to sticking to regular wattage + no need to worry about headlight fading / relays, etc.

LED Conversion depends on you whether you choose the projector or non-projector set-up: The VW Vento Highline Plus came with LEDs without a projector so it could be an easier plug and play as compared to projector set up though the projector set up would be far superior.

HIDs are best recommended with a projector, otherwise do not always work well depending on headlamp quality - often scattering the light.
In my S-Cross too I upgraded the fogs to HIDs but was disappointed with the throw, and similarly on a friends 2007 Accord : the HID's aren't that great.

I actually ended up getting a new projector with bulbs for the S-Cross to replace the 25W projector unit that came standard, and am definitely very happy in pitch darkness, though miserable in rains and more or ambivalent with regular lighting as seen on the highways - great reach, but maybe a warmer tone would have again helped - but since you're upgrading the fogs I wouldn't worry too much about this.
Check out Dr. Naren's thread on the projector conversion on his Baleno as well.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 16:57   #6989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bear in mind that fog lamps are only supposed to light the road immediately in front of the car, but with a much wider spread. They don't need much power, and I doubt that colour temperature will make much difference?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 17:52   #6990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bear in mind that fog lamps are only supposed to light the road immediately in front of the car, but with a much wider spread. They don't need much power, and I doubt that colour temperature will make much difference?
The fog lamp upgrades I had in mind are actually LEDs. They have 2 temp options, 6000k and 4300k. I wanted to avoid the 6k lamps because it makes the idea of having functional fog lamps redundant, hence opted for the 4300k.
PrisonMike is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks