Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 13:33   #7006
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Not sure it would be possible for me to take the car outside of Bangalore. Hoping for some good references in Bangalore itself.
I recently learned about Engineering Exponent, ITPL main road, via the Vento forum. I have no first-hand experience. You can check with them.

Map Location
Old 29th August 2022, 10:53   #7007

Hello everyone, owner of a Polo GT TSI 2015 model here. Absolutely love my car but something strange has been troubling me with the car. While braking at speeds over 60km/h, I get a lot of shuddering and noise from the front wheels, likely the brake discs.
Get some shake and vibration on the steering as well.

Is this something normal or should I get it fixed on priority? Has anyone else faced similar issues? I have replaced the brake discs once in the past due to rust.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:19   #7008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autovarun View Post
Hello everyone, owner of a Polo GT TSI 2015 model here. Absolutely love my car but something strange has been troubling me with the car. While braking at speeds over 60km/h, I get a lot of shuddering and noise from the front wheels, likely the brake discs.
Get it checked out on a priority basis. It could be the brake pads are completely worn out or the discs have become warped. The shuddering and steering vibration seems to suggest that. Avoid driving too much or at higher speeds till you check it out. This could cause an accident if the car doesn’t stop when you want it to.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 11:30   #7009
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is this something normal or should I get it fixed on priority? Has anyone else faced similar issues? I have replaced the brake discs once in the past due to rust.
Disc wrapping is very common issue with the Polo. If your discs have never been changed, suggest you change them anyways.

I also have a 2015 GT TSI, I changed mine to Brembo (both disc and pads bought from amazon) some 4 years back.

EDIT: missed mentioning, mine was also vibrating.

Last edited by SLK : 29th August 2022 at 11:52.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 13:46   #7010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I also have a 2015 GT TSI, I changed mine to Brembo (both disc and pads bought from amazon) some 4 years back.
Did you find any improvements in the braking performance compared to the stocks?
Old 29th August 2022, 14:46   #7011
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonMike View Post
Did you find any improvements in the braking performance compared to the stocks?
For my kind of driving stock wasn't too bad either but sometimes resulted in very close call on moderate/ hard breaking. Brembo wasn't drastic improvement, but I felt it became more predictable and close calls kind-of reduced.

I can never completely compare too, because my stock rotors had gone bad by 2018 and then I changed to Brembo, which needed a few days of running in before full performance, so very hard to really compare, never felt night and day.

And 2019 onwards I drove more Octavia than Polo. Currently when I drive the Polo, I feel no issues with the breaks, even when Octavia is clearly better at it.
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 16:58   #7012
BHPian

Quote:
While braking at speeds over 60km/h, I get a lot of shuddering and noise from the front wheels, likely the brake discs.

This is a very common issue with Polo GT. Got my disc brake replaced at 13000km first and got brake pad and disc replaced again a week back. This time car has done 27000km. Disc brake is a major issue with polo and have seen this with many owners. Seems its a result of cost cutting. Initially the disc brake used to cost upwards of Rs. 8000/- now the prices are about Rs. 4500/-. If possible go with brembo disc brake.
Old 30th August 2022, 00:56   #7013
Senior - BHPian

We have a 2017 Polo GT TSI. It run about 18k till now and serviced as per schedule at official VW SC always.

Since the beginning I have always felt that the steering was too hard. Wanted to ask you all if you also feel that steering is hard especially when slow or parking. It takes quite an effort.

Lately I have a feeling that it may have become harder, it’s tough to say for sure but it definitely feels a bit harder now.

Is there any way to make it lighter to use or any thing that I need to check to see if something is wrong.
Old 30th August 2022, 13:40   #7014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
We have a 2017 Polo GT TSI. It run about 18k till now and serviced as per schedule at official VW SC always.

Since the beginning I have always felt that the steering was too hard. Wanted to ask you all if you also feel that steering is hard especially when slow or parking. It takes quite an effort.

Lately I have a feeling that it may have become harder, it’s tough to say for sure but it definitely feels a bit harder now.

Is there any way to make it lighter to use or any thing that I need to check to see if something is wrong.
Generally I noticed that the steering in the GT is harder than the regular Polo. I think there are ways of adding more steering assistance using some VCDS tweaks, but I could be wrong.
PrisonMike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:40   #7015
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never felt the steering to be hard in my '14 TDI --- except that it becomes so if the tyre pressure is even a little bit low.

Actually, power-steering in number one on my list of things manufacturers could remove from small cars like this! It is useful only for slow-speed manoeuvring. And I speak as a wimp with zero arm muscle!

I remember the days when very few cars had it at all. And I have driven a car without it within the past 15 years, although it was, I admit, even smaller.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th August 2022 at 14:41.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 14:52   #7016
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a 2017Wanted to ask you all if you also feel that steering is hard especially when slow or parking. It takes quite an effort.
Yes, the steering isn't very light. I had a Ritz diesel (long back), that steering was heavy, Polo's steering clearly requires more effort than say Octavia's steering at parking speeds, but it isn't bad to feel like physical labour.
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:30   #7017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
Seems its a result of cost cutting. Initially the disc brake used to cost upwards of Rs. 8000/- now the prices are about Rs. 4500/-. If possible go with brembo disc brake.
Thanks will surely check the Brembo one. Where do you get it fitted though? The official service center won't do it.
autovarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:27   #7018
BHPian

Quote:
While braking at speeds over 60km/h, I get a lot of shuddering and noise from the front wheels, likely the brake discs.

Common issue with all GT TSIs. You can get the discs replaced or get the warping removed in lathe. As already mentioned here, the prices of the discs have been reduced by VW since it is a common problem so better get it replaced.

Quote:

GT steering is definitely harder than other VW cars. I drive a Ameo too and it's steering feels much lighter than the GT's steering. I have noticed that once you drive the GT for few kms, the steering gets a bit lighter. But I don't know of any way to make the steering lighter.
anshumandun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:04   #7019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Ownership updates 3.5 years, 37k kms-

The car is overall driving great, and is super fun to drive because of the punchy mid-range. With the polo range discontinued, the exclusivity of owning a Polo GT is just going to increase!

Some parting shots
Attachment 2337471

Attachment 2337472
Absolutely love this colour, it wasn't available when I purchased mine.

If I am not wrong the workshop appears to be Noida Workshop, I wanted to ask you how is the service there? Would you recommend this workshop?

I have been going to Okhla but since this one is closer to where I live, I was thinking of going there.
Old 21st September 2022, 04:14   #7020
BHPian

Hey guys

I am in the process of upgrading my tail lights from the OEM Gen2 to the latest Gen3 style.

After watching a few DIY videos on Youtube, I realized that I would require a specific clip for the retrofit to work, because the taillights of the 2020 Polo have a slightly different clip compared to my 2015 Polo.

Basically, it appears that 2020 tail lights (both sides) require the clip that's currently fastened in the passenger side's taillight in the 2015 Polo.

If anyone could help me in sourcing this specific clip online, that would be really helpful so that I can finally get this retrofit project completed.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks