Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 11:52   #841
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There may be a difference between leaving the gearbox in neutral / free-wheeling - engaging the clutch. But the effects are the same. Even if the 'box does not switch to neutral, the effect of having the clutch depressed is nearly identical. So how does this save fuel? It's understood that leaving the gearbox in a higher cog actually keeps the engine ticking at a lower RPM thereby saving fuel. And as mentioned earlier, this 'free wheeling' business wears-out the brakes faster. So what's the reason behind this absurd gearbox calibration?
The only reason for this calibration Suhaas that i can think of is fuel economy in the long run. maybe its tuned this way for highway runs. In case you need engine braking in emergency situation , switch to the L or the S mode. even when going down the hill, when Hill Descent is activated i found L mode offering better control.
blurust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 11:56   #842
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I am not saying that N gets engaged everytime you release the gas. I am saying that an AT will free wheel when in D mode.

This is the case even in a torque converter I believe. Classic example is when you go downhill. A torque converter or a DSG in "D" mode will not slow down the car or have any engine braking. Engine braking will happen only when you slot to "L" or manual over ride.

Starting from standstill is different than coasting to a light.

I don't want to go more in detail in this Polo thread because we have a dedicated thread on AT here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...automatic.html (Tips on driving an Automatic)
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:57   #843
Senior - BHPian

Beyond my area of expertise. My comments were based on my personal experience.

But a quick google does not confirm the opinion that Auto boxes freewheel.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:09   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSarker View Post
The SA at OSL Exclusive, Kolkata told me that the GT TSI doesn't have a running assembly line like other Polo's. It's built in batches when sufficient orders are placed, for example 50 cars at a stretch. Don't know if it was a gimmick or to just make me feel a bit "special" about this model.
I beleive them. Because demand for AT cars has been low in our country. But of late, things are changing. But still there are many in our country who will rather have vericose veins and alining knee joint ( from heavy diesel clutch ) than buy an AT and lose a km or two on FE.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:15   #845
BHPian

Advisable is to put the car on 'N' wherever we stop at signal, staying on 'D' or 'S' and keeping the brakes on would be for obvious reasons stressing the assembly, also burning the brake lights.. And if in night I would not suggest to irritate the drivers of vehicles behind you, by lighting the brake lights.. Do think once, if you are sporting the TBhp stickers, not at all a good act for me personally..

Can be bit OT here, can be related to the clutch engage-disengage factoids discussed here.. I recalled reading from some US blogs on DSG, on VW stating the warranty as void if the vehicle with DSG 'Towed' (VW guidelines provided in manual though). Reason being the slipping of clutch when driving is done by the computer (microprocessor to be more precise) depending on the speed, and exactly opposite, when towed we force the computer to slip clutch, and in some circumstances can lead to overload, and if worse result in burning it.

I would want to ask the owners here, if any similar clause for towing is mentioned in the warranty ?

I found some relation for Skoda on a thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-replaced.html in the last posts.. and the DSG box seems to be replaced here in under warranty (pls correct if wrong)

Last edited by spyder918 : 7th June 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Added a reference
Old 7th June 2013, 17:34   #846
BHPian

This is a photo of my GT TSI that i am going to be taking delivery of on Wednesday. The best part is that i am the first person from my city that's buying this car. I cant wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-team-bhp-photo-4.jpg  

chase_nt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 18:44   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys, that's how most automatic works. In D mode, if you don't press accelerator, the box will shift to N till you press the accelerator again.
You mean most DSGs?? because conventional A/T dont do that.

It is one of the things you can expect in the future however, as an FE enabler.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th June 2013 at 19:40.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 18:55   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
This is a photo of my GT TSI that i am going to be taking delivery of on Wednesday. The best part is that i am the first person from my city that's buying this car. I cant wait.
Congratulations! I'm getting mine on Monday. It's white. Sadly no photos, still wrapped with protective film.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:08   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Congrats. I'm still waiting for the allocation :(
Old 7th June 2013, 19:28   #850
BHPian

Just came back from the showroom after taking delivery of my white gt. Overall experience with VW showroom (autobahn automotive, Sion) was pretty good. Didn't get a chance to drive it much as my dad drove it all the way back. Gave me enough time to familiarize myself with my new home though ;p. All set for the long drive tonight with wife and kids after the Mumbai traffic dies down.
Old 7th June 2013, 22:27   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I beleive them. Because demand for AT cars has been low in our country. But of late, things are changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Congrats. I'm still waiting for the allocation :(
Hi thiagust,
How come your dealer is not giving you a tentative date of delivery? If I am not mistaken they are obliged to give you a date right when u book. I hope you get your GT soon. Anyways for the benefit of people who have booked and waiting for the car, I am quoting my post posted on 20th May, here.

Quote:
I wanted to share this important news yesterday itself, but was so endorsed in the car manual, totally forgot to.

The car production is temporarily halted for a period of 2months according to the Dealer, so if you are booking a GT ensure your dealer has stock of the car. I think VW has sold more than it has expected to, in a month and probably ran out of a stock for the quarter.(probably they will have to wait for next load of 1.2tsi engines maybe?)

Just for the benefit of Chennai and other vicinity members, Vellore dealer has a Black and red GTs in stock and one of them was being talked for yesterday.
This info regarding production stop was shared to me by the GM of the dealership.
Cheers.
Old 7th June 2013, 22:41   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post

Hi thiagust,
How come your dealer is not giving you a tentative date of delivery? If I am not mistaken they are obliged to give you a date right when u book. I hope you get your GT soon. Anyways for the benefit of people who have booked and waiting for the car, I am quoting my post posted on 20th May, here.

This info regarding production stop was shared to me by the GM of the dealership.
Cheers.
The tentative date is end of June. They did not give me a date when I booked. Thanks for the info. I will check with them again.
Old 8th June 2013, 03:24   #853
BHPian

Hi team,

I have got a query to fellow owners with respect to the audio system. The first time I paired my iPhone to the system via Bluetooth, there was this prompt or notification which was asking whether I would be interested in downloading a particular 'VW xxxxx' app from the AppStore and promptly I shooed it away. Now I am just plain curious about this app, but can't find this app in the store.
Has anyone tried this app and does it make the experience any more intuitive ?

P.S.: No such prompt came, when I connected my droid phone.

Cheers,
D.
Old 8th June 2013, 04:46   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,

I have got a query to fellow owners with respect to the audio system. The first time I paired my iPhone to the system via Bluetooth, there was this prompt or notification which was asking whether I would be interested in downloading a particular 'VW xxxxx' app from the AppStore and promptly I shooed it away. Now I am just plain curious about this app, but can't find this app in the store.

Cheers,
D.
Hi delta5,

I went thru the same scenario when I paired my iPhone with the audio system but I accepted to download the app. That didn't lead anywhere and was left with a blank screen on the App Store. Apparently it was trying to download the 'VW Radio' app which seems to be now pulled from the App Store. Will try and do some more googling about it in the morning and update if I find something more about the same. Although the pairing worked fine and I did make a test call also which was clear enough at the opposite end.
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 06:18   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,

Cheers,
D.
Mine is android and had no any prompt come up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks